Telltale Update

The Fun Pimp

I am sure that TFP could confirm if they bought the rights, if they did buy the rights. Would have been nice to hear from TFP after the auction with any info they did have, assuming they did put a bid in for the asset. For all we know they didn't bid on it, and have no intention of doing anything with 7D2D for console. But hey, this silence is golden.

I just dont see anyone but TFP being interested in getting the rights to a 3 yearish old game. that doesn't mean they want to invest more money into it, so no acknowledgement. whoever got it would have to work with TFP to do anything with it so.....

I just dont see anyone but TFP being interested in getting the rights to a 3 yearish old game. that doesn't mean they want to invest more money into it, so no acknowledgement. whoever got it would have to work with TFP to do anything with it so.....

I agree, but as someone else posted about the long tail, there might be some willing to gamble that they will make money for any additional games sold via the online console stores from now until it is removed from the console stores. You can still buy 7D2D on the PS store for $29.99. Which I assume would go to the new owner of the code.

I agree if you wanted to do anything else you would need to contact TFP. Of course we will see what Sony says about future sales of the game. Not sure how long I will need to email them, but I have started that communication.

There are no absolutes when money is involved.

TFP might be willing to invest for example $300.000 into a console version, but not $3 million (somewhere inbetween those two values might be a line TFP doesn't want to cross). And most of that money needs to go into finishing that version, not all can be used for the auction.

Someone else might be interested to buy a 3 yearish old game for $30.000, but not for $300.000, because he still expects the game to sell copies for more than that amount over the next decade (EDIT: or as Freestyle604 says until it is removed from the console stores. That very much depends on what Telltale and TFP agreed upon in their contract, all bidders would have had the information available before the auction starts whether they have the rights to sell it indefinitely or if it hangs on TFP's approval)

We can only surmise with some certainty that TFP has the biggest interest of all potential bidders and therefore might see more value in it than anyone else (i.e. the sum of sales projection PLUS what the source code is worth to them for further development). But long term sales projection of a game is anything but an exact number. So if TFP undervalued the long term sales and some other company overvalued them that company might still have made a higher bid than TFP. TFP is just the most probable winner of the auction.

Documentary on Telltale closure

Just stopping in to say heya to everyone and let you all know im still here either way

Here's a new documentary on the circumstances surrounding the collapse of Telltale games. There's a lot of information in this.

I'm just staying hopefully and biding my time. If the update comes, it comes and the community and I are happy. If not, then we just have to accept that not everything can be perfect. While I do have an intense hunger for new information regarding what will happen to the console editions, I don't find it necessary to hound the developers for information they don't have. I probably check on this forum once a week, just in case, but never really think of posting. But the overwhelming amount of people begging for answers is absurd, if you want my honest opinion. When they have information, that little number next to 'News & Announcements' will change from 56, to 57. Until then, we should give TFP the room they need to try and get the rights, and focus on doing what they have to. They are a developer above all else, a company. And since they have a platform that can currently get updates, they are going to work on that.

Long story short, when they have information to give us, they will give it to us. They're not going to hide it from their consumers that they got what we've been wanting.

Sorry Sylen, I just had to state that, for anyone that's constantly asking for information. It bothers me seeing everyone hounding them after it's been explained multiple times that when they have info, they will share.

Long story short, when they have information to give us, they will give it to us. They're not going to hide it from their consumers that they got what we've been wanting.

Sorry Sylen, I just had to state that, for anyone that's constantly asking for information. It bothers me seeing everyone hounding them after it's been explained multiple times that when they have info, they will share.

I am going to slightly disagree with you here. There is information right now and that is who owns the console code from the auction of assets from TTG. Either TFP own it or someone else owns it. That nugget of info would be huge IMHO since it would at least give us a vague idea of who is thinking what. I do agree with everything else you posted as we will have to wait and see, but TFP know if they got the asset from the auction or not, and if they did they using your words “they’re not going to hide it from their consumers that they got what we’ve been wanting”. So why not say yes we own it or no we didn’t win it. If they don’t own it, then I can have my own opinions as to what is going to happen after that. If they do own it then maybe give some insight on what TFP would like to do, with the understanding that it still might not happen. TFP are a for profit business and I think the console port might not be in their business plan. PC hardware vs PS4 hardware issues. The post about the long tail, and I apologize I forget who posted it, could be TFP idea as well. Just get any future sales on the ps4/xbox.

so in light of recent events...

Telltale games are being delisted off of GOG, https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/343301/Telltale_Games_titles_are_being_delisted_from_GOG.php steam and other store fronts if they haven't already, the GOG delisting is new news,

Epic games store have had telltale games up for a while and it's safe to assume they have full publishing rights now since they also published the last walking dead episode

Stranded deep, telltale's publishing other game that was due to release in october on consoles but was cancelled last minute due to collapse has just given confirmation that it has won the rights back and has now struck a deal with a new publisher

Fingers crossed this means an update for consoles from funpimps on weather they bought the rights or whoever did? by no means an game update but some news, hopefully more soon

I just wish that anyone would just say hey there is a legal battle going can't talk about it trying to get things back on track or that it is what it is. In all reality ♥♥♥♥tell did not hold up there end of the deal which is a breach of contract. I still play 7 days every day on xbox and still love the game! But hate telltale very much!

I just wish that anyone would just say hey there is a legal battle going can't talk about it trying to get things back on track or that it is what it is. In all reality ♥♥♥♥tell did not hold up there end of the deal which is a breach of contract. I still play 7 days every day on xbox and still love the game! But hate telltale very much!

The auction for the TellTale Asset, which I call console code as TFP still own the rights to the PC version, has been completed. So there really shouldn’t be any legal battle left since according to Sherwood Partners the rights to the console version was sold. As TFP stated in this tread they ended the agreement with TTG so they could no longer update or patch the game. So someone bought the code, it could be TFP, but I doubt it since there has been zero communication from them since the sale. I assume it was someone else who wants to collect the revenue from every additional sale after some specific date. Maybe it was a good hearted person who wants to spend money to do/finish the update that IG was working on and patch the consoles for free. Either way TFP could say they did re-acquire the rights via the auction, but unfortunately they haven’t said anything at all. Maybe they are in talks with the new owners of the code and are working on some kind of “rights” to allow the new owner to pickup where TTG left off. In which case I could understand the silence from TFP, even though the might get a pulse of the people still looking to play or continuing to play the game with at least communicating with the console forums.

At this point TellTale is no longer so in theory there will be no new additional info posted here. I come daily to check and now understand why some people get frustrated about forums and not keeping up with what is going on. I see there was a post in another thread that was moved here. At this point this thread is over and probably should have been closed a while ago. Hopefully this answers both of the last two questions.

Anonymous purchaser is a big red flag. To me that indicates someone who doesn't intend to develop the console IP further. Likely, either to own the rights just to own them and/or to milk the trickle of future sales. Even if those sales don't recoup the investment it is an easy tax write-off as a minimal consolation. This could be some random unknown 3rd party or TFP themselves.

Truth will come out eventually, but I'm not feeling a warm and fuzzy by this new development. Anonymity of purchaser as well as the TFP silence says all I need to know.

The only possible upside is the potential that a big name stepped in and/or there are significant confidential negotiations in the process to take the IP to the next level. That's likely wishing on rainbows and unicorn farts though if we are being honest with ourselves.

Personally I think Roland may have been trying to let us down gently the last few months. He has regularly repeated the mantra "assume that console updates are done and that the game is complete as is" (paraphrasing).

I work in Business Development in another industry. So it's not hard to read between the lines.

Regardless, thank you Fun Pimps for the original game. For what it was 7 Days to Die was a blast on console despite the bugs and I still play it off and on. I also purchased the PC version on Steam just to throw some extra support. Even though I don't really play on the PC. I like to split screen from the couch with my teenager or play on Xbox Live with buddies. Just personal preference and convenience.

Good luck however this all plays out.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. the game has no value for anyone but TFP and it really has no monetary value for them other than getting the rights back to prevent any further trouble/harm to their image.

the game was broke on launch, remained broken while it was being maintained and will be broken forever.

So someone bought the code, it could be TFP, but I doubt it since there has been zero communication from them since the sale.

Assume TFP told everyone they won the auction. And 2 months later they couldn't work out an agreement with IG. If TFP thinks that would produce a ♥♥♥♥storm, then TFP has a reason to keep silent and only post news if they can report something positive. If not, then I don't see a reason either.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. the game has no value for anyone but TFP and ...

Sure it does. How do you think gog (good-old-games) earned money in their first few years when they exclusively sold >10 years old games?

A game sold for $5 to 1 million people who just want to collect a few more games or bought a bundle is still ~$2 million in the bank account of anyone having the rights

Archived