Hal's Prefab Editor

HAL9000

[QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311977]i fixed the car issue, turns out I had left an entity on layer 60 before I removed the layers below my prefab.[/QUOTE] [url]https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32266-Inserting-Objects&highlight=editor[/url] I would ask, because I am the acerbic and rowdy one, that if you just downloaded the editor take some time with it. I'm not saying do not ask questions, or that you won't receive help, because there most certainly is a learning curve and I found most of the tutorials out there tedious, outdated, or not intuitive. All I am saying is 5 minutes after downloading it don't ask a question for every one thing you try to do. You will quickly frustrate people who can help you. If you have spent appropriate time researching and working with it, simply ignore this and don't get offended. As far as your x,y,z you can use console commands, I just enter debug menu by typing dm in the console (and enter key after) and then hitting F3. It will keep a real-time overlay up which will include your x,y,z. "If I told you, you would not know, you would simply have been told. Go and study it thoroughly, and one day I will ask you and you will answer. And then you will know." Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we put the eff in F3.

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;311979][url]https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32266-Inserting-Objects&highlight=editor[/url] I would ask, because I am the acerbic and rowdy one, that if you just downloaded the editor take some time with it. I'm not saying do not ask questions, or that you won't receive help, because there most certainly is a learning curve and I found most of the tutorials out there tedious, outdated, or not intuitive. All I am saying is 5 minutes after downloading it don't ask a question for every one thing you try to do. You will quickly frustrate people who can help you. If you have spent appropriate time researching and working with it, simply ignore this and don't get offended. As far as your x,y,z you can use console commands, I just enter debug menu by typing dm in the console (and enter key after) and then hitting F3. It will keep a real-time overlay up which will include your x,y,z. "If I told you, you would not know, you would simply have been told. Go and study it thoroughly, and one day I will ask you and you will answer. And then you will know." Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we put the eff in F3.[/QUOTE] and assuming someone has only just downloaded this stuff when asking is also somewhat insulting. I've had it for over a day at this point. I'm asking for help on things i didn't find in the tutorials and stuff I was able to find. Oh, and this question is because I couldn't find an answer anywhere. How do I add a prefab to the random gen list? I like to play with friends and we don't really play on Navezgane. Also, plain text please, i don't really like video tutorials. Oh, and I'm not trying to spawn the prefab at me in random gen, I want to add it to the list of randomly placed structures.

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;311979]If you have spent appropriate time researching and working with it, simply ignore this and don't get offended. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311981]and assuming someone has only just downloaded this stuff when asking is also somewhat insulting. I've had it for over a day at this point. I'm asking for help on things i didn't find in the tutorials and stuff I was able to find.[/QUOTE] Join date Aug 2015. Your move. Do you really want me to list the last few posts you have made every 5 minutes when you have another issue and Hal asked you to be more specific? As well as receiving multiple replies with help from people? [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311981] I've had it for over a day at this point.[/QUOTE] Case and point. want to deliberate the meaning of the word "have" and "have been working with it" and so on? Looks like my assumption about just downloading was dead-on. [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311981]Oh, and this question is because I couldn't find an answer anywhere. [/quote] How do I add a prefab to the random gen list? I like to play with friends and we don't really play on Navezgane.[/quote] I understand your frustration because I felt the same with alot of outdated posts and they seemingly were scattered all over. I did cover it [URL="https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32426-Theme-Park"]here[/URL] a bit, in text, but could be hard to find. [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311981]Also, plain text please, i don't really like video tutorials.[/quote] "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. " TL;DR Don't come at me with an attitude when you want help. [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311981]Oh, and I'm not trying to spawn the prefab at me in random gen, I want to add it to the list of randomly placed structures.[/QUOTE] Maybe you should learn to say what you mean, and not get pissy if someone misinterprets you because you don't communicate precisely. Welcome to the forums but please don't get into a pissing contest with me. You won't win and most likely I would end up banned or suspended so therefore I wouldn't win either. The name's "h0tr0d". Not "I'll bend over and take it." That being said, as Hal will most likely ask me to chill in some form if you want help that isn't an issue. But I'm not going to spoon-feed you. if I do an instructional video and you don't want to watch it, pound sand. LazMan is a great prefab worker here on the forums, have you seen his crashed airplane? Here is a nice aerial view of how it incorporates into the world. [ATTACH=CONFIG]10631[/ATTACH] Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we put the "comprehension" in "reading comprehension"

I wasn't getting into a pissing contest. I was just trying to be as precise as possible with how I ask. Video tutorials give me issues because I usually need help with one small thing but the video is so long that getting to that takes far longer than just reading a text one and jumping where the info i need is. I haven't taken up an attitude with anyone, other than being offended by the implication that I hadn't been trying to figure out the program all day and getting really frustrated at being unable to find the info i needed on my own, as well as the program giving me problems. I also can't follow video tutorials that well, the information goes in one ear and out the other.

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;311993] long jabby reply[/QUOTE] Ok h0tr0d, enough please. I get what you're saying but I don't want p!ssing contests in my thread. The smell alone would be unbearable. [QUOTE=Akari_Tsukino;311999]I wasn't getting into a pissing contest. I was just trying to be as precise as possible with how I ask. Video tutorials give me issues because I usually need help with one small thing but the video is so long that getting to that takes far longer than just reading a text one and jumping where the info i need is. I haven't taken up an attitude with anyone, other than being offended by the implication that I hadn't been trying to figure out the program all day and getting really frustrated at being unable to find the info i needed on my own, as well as the program giving me problems. I also can't follow video tutorials that well, the information goes in one ear and out the other.[/QUOTE] I understand your frustration Akari_Tsukino, there's a steep learning curve with the editor and modding for the game in general but we're not google. You don't just type a query and wait for an answer. We're just a group of people that enjoy the same thing that are willing to give information of our experiences to others so your way of trying to be as "precise as possible" comes across as abrasive and demanding. Coupled with the quickness of questions (and answering your own questions just a few minutes later) you're likely to run into resistance. Come say hello, ask questions and say thanks. It all adds up when you're dealing with strangers. Having said that, Pacco has given you a link for locking doors and h0tr0d has given you a link for information on adding prefabs to random gen. To expand on that in the editor click on the "Prefab" tab, then choose "Show Random Gen XML" and you'll get a new panel at the bottom. In the "allowed biomes" part click the ones you want to allow. That should add it into the mix for random gen. There's a limit on the city biome of 44x44 I think but you'll have to do some research on that (or one of you prefabbers want to weigh in here? I may be the master of song but that doesn't mean I can carry a tune...) And don't forget to save the prefab after your changes (eh h0tr0d? ^^) Cheers, Hal

[QUOTE=HAL9000;312007]Ok h0tr0d, enough please. I get what you're saying but I don't want p!ssing contests in my thread. The smell alone would be unbearable. And don't forget to save the prefab after your changes (eh h0tr0d? ^^) Cheers, Hal[/QUOTE] yeah yeah, it's all bout the air blocks. I just did a video on basic prefab use and inserting your first prefab but I had the mic too close so I'll do another one. It should answer alot of basic questions more experienced people may miss, especially the creator since they already have gone past the normal user in experience. It's hard to make 40 videos covering each little step, inserting a prefab is more than just the command, because it will lead to a million questions but I try to break them up into manageable topics. With the prefab editor there is claiming, exporting which go hand in hand as well as importing/inserting that. There is initial use (first time seeing it) and inserting the first prefab which seems to cause the most questions. So I'll try and make a 30 minute video which is efficient in doing so as well as one on getting a prefab to spawn in your random gen world. My videos are usually user-friendly and straight-forward with the K.I.S.S method but I abhor having to make multiple pictures with instructions like Ekko did. One thing I still can't work out is how that weird terrain/block blend comes inserting anything into the ground. Even with acopyairblocks=true it still messes with you. You saw that in one of my videos, and apparently there is no solution since a12?

Did a video on barebones nasics for first-time users and inserting a prefab. Mostly how I do it, see whatcha think. [url]http://youtu.be/VqROI1OMfTg[/url] This one covers adding prefabs to rwgmixer so world generates them in. [url]http://youtu.be/psqP3xmLJHM[/url]

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;312077]Did a video on barebones nasics for first-time users and inserting a prefab. Mostly how I do it, see whatcha think. [url]http://youtu.be/VqROI1OMfTg[/url] This one covers adding prefabs to rwgmixer so world generates them in. [url]http://youtu.be/psqP3xmLJHM[/url][/QUOTE] Great, thanks h0tr0d. I've added them to the OP (so good now we can edit those posts). [QUOTE=h0tr0d;312027] One thing I still can't work out is how that weird terrain/block blend comes inserting anything into the ground. Even with acopyairblocks=true it still messes with you. You saw that in one of my videos, and apparently there is no solution since a12?[/QUOTE] I've changed the way inserting prefabs works in the next version. It will take slightly longer to insert the prefabs but should remove those texture glitches by default. @all I'm going to have a quick stab at getting the editor updated before I wipe my computer. FYI I will be changing the .NET framework the editor runs under so if you haven't got it already make sure you download [URL="http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/3/A/C3A5200B-D33C-47E9-9D70-2F7C65DAAD94/NDP46-KB3045557-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe"].NET Framework 4.6[/URL] Cheers, Hal

Update Time! Added: 12.5 support Fixed: bugs and tweaks Added: bugs Added: Magoli function - Mag, you can find it on the "Helper" menu in the editor. Remember there's no undo button. Any problems list them here. I'm about to wipe my computer so if you don't hear from me again then it has resisted, killed me and escaped into the wild. God help you all... Cheers, Hal

[QUOTE=HAL9000;312158]Update Time! Added: 12.5 support Fixed: bugs and tweaks Added: bugs Added: Magoli function - Mag, you can find it on the "Helper" menu in the editor. Remember there's no undo button. Any problems list them here. I'm about to wipe my computer so if you don't hear from me again then it has resisted, killed me and escaped into the wild. God help you all... Cheers, Hal[/QUOTE] Lol, thanks hal!

[QUOTE=HAL9000;312158]Update Time! Added: 12.5 support Fixed: bugs and tweaks Added: bugs Added: Magoli function - Mag, you can find it on the "Helper" menu in the editor. Remember there's no undo button. Any problems list them here. I'm about to wipe my computer so if you don't hear from me again then it has resisted, killed me and escaped into the wild. God help you all... Cheers, Hal[/QUOTE] faster then expected :tears_of_joy:, many thanks HAL

The wipe was a success and only minor radiation burns for my trouble. Now I have Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 to play with... [QUOTE=h0tr0d;312220]Well I say...I say...I say...now look here boy. Just after I did the videos! Thanks Hal, my only question is why you Added: bugs. Wouldn't you want to remove them? Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we put the horn if Foghorn Leghorn.[/QUOTE] The installation and in-game videos were done last week, I just couldn't release them till the new version of the editor was released. The editor overview was done this morning but you cover other things in yours like the RwgMixer and pro-tips while using the editor so I think they all work well together. "Added: bugs" is just an acknowledgement that a lot of this editor is done on the fly with no in-depth testing so there's always bugs. One of my favourite [URL="http://i.imgur.com/HTisMpC.jpg"]geek jokes[/URL]

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;312220]Well I say...I say...I say...now look here boy. Just after I did the videos! Thanks Hal, my only question is why you Added: bugs. Wouldn't you want to remove them? Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we put the horn if Foghorn Leghorn.[/QUOTE] He added bugs just to drive you specifically crazy. :)

[QUOTE=HAL9000;312274]The wipe was a success and only minor radiation burns for my trouble. Now I have Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 to play with... The installation and in-game videos were done last week, I just couldn't release them till the new version of the editor was released. The editor overview was done this morning but you cover other things in yours like the RwgMixer and pro-tips while using the editor so I think they all work well together. "Added: bugs" is just an acknowledgement that a lot of this editor is done on the fly with no in-depth testing so there's always bugs. One of my favourite [URL="http://i.imgur.com/HTisMpC.jpg"]geek jokes[/URL][/QUOTE] No one gets my sarcasm. Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we break deals so we can spin the wheel

Anyone have issues updating? I keep getting an update error. On top of that I noticed a folder after updating titled "Update" inside the folder appeared to be the updated files. When I run them and try and use the BBB commands nothing seems to happen. Any ideas?

[QUOTE=h0tr0d;312369]click the update button. he did mention a few posts back about needing a new NET framework and even provided the download link.[/QUOTE] Yep read that 1 and i did grab the net thing. Ty. Just wasnt sure if it updated the dedicated part of the editor is all. Cheers

Archived