Hal's Prefab Editor

HAL9000

[QUOTE=Volar;446712]Thanks for the help and tips. My only question then would be how do you know the smooth transition numbers? I see in the version you sent me the Cubes are -118 while the Asphalt is -128 but it's only on the blocks touching the terrain. I see exactly what you did just not understanding the numbering. - Would using "Reset All Density to Zero" have the same effect or would I have to Do what you did after and Smooth it? I'll test with your version shortly and see if I'm still getting the ''missing'' blocks or not. Edit - Another dumb question. Is there a Faster way to do the Transition effect than clicking on each square individually and changing the Density to the desired number?[/QUOTE] We only know the numbers from an example prefab in the Pimps vanilla collection. I think Lazman was the first to spot it. The other numbers just give different volumes for the block to fill. Still a lot of research needed to find how to manipulate it fully. If you reset then you'd need to apply the smoothing after. If you press F2 to go into Info mode you can left click on a block and set the density or other values. Move back to edit mode by pressing F1 and right click on the block. That sets the paint block with all the values of the clicked block. You can then paint the blocks you need or hold the middle mouse button (or press shift and left button) down to drag out an area. There's examples on how to use the editor in the first post or on my youtube channel.

[QUOTE=HAL9000;446729]We only know the numbers from an example prefab in the Pimps vanilla collection. I think Lazman was the first to spot it. The other numbers just give different volumes for the block to fill. Still a lot of research needed to find how to manipulate it fully. If you reset then you'd need to apply the smoothing after. If you press F2 to go into Info mode you can left click on a block and set the density or other values. Move back to edit mode by pressing F1 and right click on the block. That sets the paint block with all the values of the clicked block. You can then paint the blocks you need or hold the middle mouse button (or press shift and left button) down to drag out an area. There's examples on how to use the editor in the first post or on my youtube channel.[/QUOTE] I've watched most of the Videos in the first post just didn't see anything covering Density. Thank you for all your responses and help. Sadly I'm still getting the blocks missing in mine whether it be your revised version or mine that I personally smoothed. In the pictures to come you can see the spots actually move. It's based on individual spawns within the Waste_Hub City. These pictures are across 3 New Seeds and Several region deletions. One of these is a Prefab that I first created and 95% of the time spawns in fine but sometimes I'll get a few missing blocks, while the one you've helped with always has missing blocks somewhere and is randomly located per spawn. [attachment=751:name]

[QUOTE=Volar;446737]I've watched most of the Videos in the first post just didn't see anything covering Density. Thank you for all your responses and help. Sadly I'm still getting the blocks missing in mine whether it be your revised version or mine that I personally smoothed. In the pictures to come you can see the spots actually move. It's based on individual spawns within the Waste_Hub City. These pictures are across 3 New Seeds and Several region deletions. One of these is a Prefab that I first created and 95% of the time spawns in fine but sometimes I'll get a few missing blocks, while the one you've helped with always has missing blocks somewhere and is randomly located per spawn. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15449[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15450[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15451[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15452[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15453[/ATTACH][/QUOTE] I can definitely say that none of the prefab instances had missing blocks when I checked them. Both from mixer and the editor. What graphics card do you have? I'm wondering if you've hit a vertex limit on your card or something. If the missing blocks are in different positions at different times it sounds like the prefab file is ok but maybe either a problem with the vert limit or a bug in the mesh generator for the game. Can you try copying the prefab file and removing all the layers above the first floor. If you spawn that in do you still have invisible blocks? Or try exporting the prefab from the world when it has missing blocks. In the editor check where the invisible blocks should be and see if there's a weird density value. I think anything above 0 for cube shapes can cause a problem for the mesh generator.

[QUOTE=HAL9000;446812]I can definitely say that none of the prefab instances had missing blocks when I checked them. Both from mixer and the editor. What graphics card do you have? I'm wondering if you've hit a vertex limit on your card or something. If the missing blocks are in different positions at different times it sounds like the prefab file is ok but maybe either a problem with the vert limit or a bug in the mesh generator for the game. Can you try copying the prefab file and removing all the layers above the first floor. If you spawn that in do you still have invisible blocks? Or try exporting the prefab from the world when it has missing blocks. In the editor check where the invisible blocks should be and see if there's a weird density value. I think anything above 0 for cube shapes can cause a problem for the mesh generator.[/QUOTE] Graphics Card is "2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 290 Series" few years old but can more than handle this game. Also I have a Prefab that has never had a problem while spawning but I made it 100% from scratch and added it to your Editor after completion. It is 100x115 and is 87 layers tall total with 74 of those being underground. As an extra note to this the Prefab spawns in 100% fine through the bbb ip command. Only the Mixer is having this problem. I'll try the removing all but top layer and see but as it shows and from what I've seen nothing below ground level has ever not shown up. If the above shows no results I'll copy the Prefab under a different name and check the blocks as instructed. - Will Edit with results a little later. Edit - Tested by Exporting the Prefab after seeing the missing blocks. In the Editor those blocks are showing as Air Blocks. Every single one over 3 tests on 3 building that the Mixer spawned had those blocks showing as "Air Blocks Density 127". I feel that was expected though since as I said I can't place blocks inside the missing ones unless I bbb fa air 2 2. Once I do that I'm able to fill them in manually, otherwise it acts as if a block is already there yet allows me to walk through it.

[QUOTE=Volar;446819]Graphics Card is "2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 290 Series" few years old but can more than handle this game. Also I have a Prefab that has never had a problem while spawning but I made it 100% from scratch and added it to your Editor after completion. It is 100x115 and is 87 layers tall total with 74 of those being underground. As an extra note to this the Prefab spawns in 100% fine through the bbb ip command. Only the Mixer is having this problem. I'll try the removing all but top layer and see but as it shows and from what I've seen nothing below ground level has ever not shown up. If the above shows no results I'll copy the Prefab under a different name and check the blocks as instructed. - Will Edit with results a little later. Edit - Tested by Exporting the Prefab after seeing the missing blocks. In the Editor those blocks are showing as Air Blocks. Every single one over 3 tests on 3 building that the Mixer spawned had those blocks showing as "Air Blocks Density 127". I feel that was expected though since as I said I can't place blocks inside the missing ones unless I bbb fa air 2 2. Once I do that I'm able to fill them in manually, otherwise it acts as if a block is already there yet allows me to walk through it.[/QUOTE] Hmm that's very interesting. I actually expected that the block would be the brick block but with a density of 127 (making it invisible) but still registered as a block that takes space up so you can't place something else there. Having it saved to a prefab as an air block but disallowing placing another block is... strange. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on how to help. I can't replicate the problem on my system so can't run any tests on the code base to try and find why it would produce those results. It sounds like a problem with the mesh generator so I will try bringing it to a Pimp's attention but that will have to wait till after A15 drops. They will be knee deep in new code that may already solve the problem so it will be best if you're still having trouble after A15 is out it gets looked at. In the mean time I'll be releasing a new version of the editor that should solve the collapsing problems in the next couple of days using the bbb command to add it where you want without problems. Let me know how trimming the layers down to one floor works out, that will be an interesting experiment.

Hey, Hal9000 awesome stuff you got ty for your efforts. Do have a question for you.. How much more work would it be for you to make it so we could build in a micro-world (similar to StompyNZ mod stoneworld) in 3d, block by block and then have the the program convert it into a prefab, Instead of needing to build new poi's layer by layer as it is now?

[QUOTE=HAL9000;446855]Hmm that's very interesting. I actually expected that the block would be the brick block but with a density of 127 (making it invisible) but still registered as a block that takes space up so you can't place something else there. Having it saved to a prefab as an air block but disallowing placing another block is... strange. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on how to help. I can't replicate the problem on my system so can't run any tests on the code base to try and find why it would produce those results. It sounds like a problem with the mesh generator so I will try bringing it to a Pimp's attention but that will have to wait till after A15 drops. They will be knee deep in new code that may already solve the problem so it will be best if you're still having trouble after A15 is out it gets looked at. In the mean time I'll be releasing a new version of the editor that should solve the collapsing problems in the next couple of days using the bbb command to add it where you want without problems. Let me know how trimming the layers down to one floor works out, that will be an interesting experiment.[/QUOTE] Alright thanks. I guess my next step would be trying with everything Default aside from the Mixer having to spawn it. Maybe something with all the changes I made is causing it to come in funky. As for the Prefab it seemed odd to me aswell though it was a bbb claim TestStore, bbb ex volar TestStore. I didn't go any further than that and checking the Editor for mistakes. As for the trimming the layers down part I tried it 3 different ways. First way was only 1 floor but it had a yoffset of -1. This attempt everything came in correctly. Second way I tried 2 floors so that one would be above ground, out of 6 buildings 3 spawned with the ''missing'' blocks on the second layer. Third way I tried was 1 floor but no yoffset. Out of 4 buildings only 1 had missing blocks. So overall I'm just stumped till I try defaulting everything. Thank you for the time though. It's honestly refreshing to see a Community that actually has active members and people that want to help. Edit - So I tired Defaulting everything then adding this Prefab back to it and loading. All the buildings still spawned the air blocks randomly along the building. Thus I wanted to try the building somewhere else. I moved the Prefab to spawn in townBuildings and Rural areas. Out of 10 spawns all 10 spawned flawlessly, no missing blocks or air blocks where they shouldn't be. This leaves me to believe it's something with the wastelandHub spawn. I'm going to try moving it from commonbuildings to rare and uncommon to see if that might make a difference. -Edit- Made no difference. If my Prefab Spawns in wastelandHub cities then it has air blocks, anywhere else it spawns in fine.

[QUOTE=Tin;446861]Hey, Hal9000 awesome stuff you got ty for your efforts. Do have a question for you.. How much more work would it be for you to make it so we could build in a micro-world (similar to StompyNZ mod stoneworld) in 3d, block by block and then have the the program convert it into a prefab, Instead of needing to build new poi's layer by layer as it is now?[/QUOTE] Hi Tin, Yes you can build in game and export. You can either use the bbb claims to define the area or set up the world editor and use the [URL="https://youtu.be/5UWYxHMbmWQ?t=1013"]export chunks[/URL] function to pull it into the editor and trim down the size you want. There's videos on how to do it on the first page or on my youtube channel. [QUOTE=Volar;446862] Edit - So I tired Defaulting everything then adding this Prefab back to it and loading. All the buildings still spawned the air blocks randomly along the building. Thus I wanted to try the building somewhere else. I moved the Prefab to spawn in townBuildings and Rural areas. Out of 10 spawns all 10 spawned flawlessly, no missing blocks or air blocks where they shouldn't be. This leaves me to believe it's something with the wastelandHub spawn. I'm going to try moving it from commonbuildings to rare and uncommon to see if that might make a difference. -Edit- Made no difference. If my Prefab Spawns in wastelandHub cities then it has air blocks, anywhere else it spawns in fine.[/QUOTE] When I tested it was taking too long to find in the wasteland so I moved it to all biomes, that might be why I couldn't get it to replicate the problem. I'll be updating the editor soon so I'll try adding it back to just wasteland and see if I can spot it but yeah it sounds like the mesh generator is flipping the uvs or something which isn't something I've played around with.

Hey Hal as much as it prolly doesnt do anything maybe even a waste. But Stompynz found a All function in the zoning section of the dll. With my tests the towns filled alot even tho it was only around the sides of the town. The middle was still as empty as its ever been. Like i said maybe just a waste of time tho

[QUOTE=HAL9000;447717] When I tested it was taking too long to find in the wasteland so I moved it to all biomes, that might be why I couldn't get it to replicate the problem. I'll be updating the editor soon so I'll try adding it back to just wasteland and see if I can spot it but yeah it sounds like the mesh generator is flipping the uvs or something which isn't something I've played around with.[/QUOTE] is what I was using to spawn it into the 0,0 City by placing it in any of the buildings Common, Uncommon or Rare and it also works fine if placed in . All my initial testing does it there and I just created New Seeds each time then Debug Menu on and set position at 0,0. I saw 2 of them every Seed in the Hub. I'd be interested to see if it happens in the Hub for you too then. Overall a weird occurrence. Once again thank you for your time and making/updating this Editor. I'm enjoying using it.

[QUOTE=stallionsden;447763]Hey Hal as much as it prolly doesnt do anything maybe even a waste. But Stompynz found a All function in the zoning section of the dll. With my tests the towns filled alot even tho it was only around the sides of the town. The middle was still as empty as its ever been. Like i said maybe just a waste of time tho[/QUOTE] Thanks for the info Stallionsden, that may just be the default level for any prefab that doesn't have a zone set but if you come across any prefabs xml files that reference it it'd be interesting to check out. [QUOTE=Volar;447764] is what I was using to spawn it into the 0,0 City by placing it in any of the buildings Common, Uncommon or Rare and it also works fine if placed in . All my initial testing does it there and I just created New Seeds each time then Debug Menu on and set position at 0,0. I saw 2 of them every Seed in the Hub. I'd be interested to see if it happens in the Hub for you too then. Overall a weird occurrence. Once again thank you for your time and making/updating this Editor. I'm enjoying using it.[/QUOTE] Yeah I had to remove all the uncommon buildings and just add a reference to your prefab before I could find it anywhere in the central city but once I'd done that it spawned in and I get the missing blocks too. I'll have a play but it looks like a bug that needs a Pimp to look at. Update Time! Updated: Patched DLL to remove density restrictions when inserting prefabs Updated: bbb ip uses RPC commands again I've brought the change that will happen in A15 into the A14 DLL so the MP way of loading in blocks will work again with setting densities. Should mean if you're on a server you don't have to teleport away anymore. As always, check it out and let me know if there's any problems.

[QUOTE=HAL9000;448033]Thanks for the info Stallionsden, that may just be the default level for any prefab that doesn't have a zone set but if you come across any prefabs xml files that reference it it'd be interesting to check out. Yeah I had to remove all the uncommon buildings and just add a reference to your prefab before I could find it anywhere in the central city but once I'd done that it spawned in and I get the missing blocks too. I'll have a play but it looks like a bug that needs a Pimp to look at. Update Time! Updated: Patched DLL to remove density restrictions when inserting prefabs Updated: bbb ip uses RPC commands again I've brought the change that will happen in A15 into the A14 DLL so the MP way of loading in blocks will work again with setting densities. Should mean if you're on a server you don't have to teleport away anymore. As always, check it out and let me know if there's any problems.[/QUOTE] Thats a relief to know, now I know I'm not crazy. Thanks for the Update! I'll be checking it out soon.

Anyone able to use it can answer this, since I'm not currently able to... re: The Random Damage ability... so if I were to load a vanilla prefab, run it through the random damager, I could have many different variants of the same prefab then? That would be amazing. I'm not able to look at the new editor right now, but does it have a slider, like "random 10% damage" to "random 100% damage" kind of thing? Does it do the whole prefab or just selected blocks?

At the risk of looking like more of an idiot than usual, how do you get the random damage to generate? I see the radio button and the box for max % , but how do I get it to generate that damage? EDIT: Hal, any chance we could get ctrl+z mapped to the undo function? Did I mention how awesome you are today? :)

[QUOTE=Volar;446862]Alright thanks. I guess my next step would be trying with everything Default aside from the Mixer having to spawn it. Maybe something with all the changes I made is causing it to come in funky. As for the Prefab it seemed odd to me aswell though it was a bbb claim TestStore, bbb ex volar TestStore. I didn't go any further than that and checking the Editor for mistakes. As for the trimming the layers down part I tried it 3 different ways. First way was only 1 floor but it had a yoffset of -1. This attempt everything came in correctly. Second way I tried 2 floors so that one would be above ground, out of 6 buildings 3 spawned with the ''missing'' blocks on the second layer. Third way I tried was 1 floor but no yoffset. Out of 4 buildings only 1 had missing blocks. So overall I'm just stumped till I try defaulting everything. Thank you for the time though. It's honestly refreshing to see a Community that actually has active members and people that want to help. Edit - So I tired Defaulting everything then adding this Prefab back to it and loading. All the buildings still spawned the air blocks randomly along the building. Thus I wanted to try the building somewhere else. I moved the Prefab to spawn in townBuildings and Rural areas. Out of 10 spawns all 10 spawned flawlessly, no missing blocks or air blocks where they shouldn't be. This leaves me to believe it's something with the wastelandHub spawn. I'm going to try moving it from commonbuildings to rare and uncommon to see if that might make a difference. -Edit- Made no difference. If my Prefab Spawns in wastelandHub cities then it has air blocks, anywhere else it spawns in fine.[/QUOTE] FYI, I'm seeing this issue in vanilla now too, so maybe something they broke in one of the recent updates. (saw it on multiple store buildings, bookstore and messiah for sure)

[QUOTE=Guppycur;451472]Anyone able to use it can answer this, since I'm not currently able to... re: The Random Damage ability... so if I were to load a vanilla prefab, run it through the random damager, I could have many different variants of the same prefab then? That would be amazing. I'm not able to look at the new editor right now, but does it have a slider, like "random 10% damage" to "random 100% damage" kind of thing? Does it do the whole prefab or just selected blocks?[/QUOTE] Hey Guppy, At the moment it's just selected blocks. Random damage applied to the whole prefab would look, well, random so not great. It would need to go through some kind of noise algorythm to make it look more natural. Hopefully the prefab file format will get another pass over from the devs to add post-processing to the prefab. That would open up a load of new possibilities like setting chest contents or when signs are released you could add a sign and give it a value. At the moment all that data is stored in the chunk and there's no way to tell the game to add it through the tts file. I've done a proof of concept when messing around that made it so I could change a prefabs layout based on RNG. Simple stuff like removing a wall or changing the furniture layout. Mostly I did it so you could change loot positions. For example you could have the safe under the bed 20% of the time, hidden behind a painting 30%, out in the open 30% of time and missing 20% of the time. It gives a lot of replay value to each prefab without having loads of different tts files to keep updated. When the game goes gold I may release it as an SDX mod or something. [QUOTE=TSBX;451614]At the risk of looking like more of an idiot than usual, how do you get the random damage to generate? I see the radio button and the box for max % , but how do I get it to generate that damage? EDIT: Hal, any chance we could get ctrl+z mapped to the undo function? Did I mention how awesome you are today? :)[/QUOTE] With the middle mouse button just highlight the area. Shift+Left button (I think) if you don't have a middle one. I'll have a look at the Control+Z. Winforms is a pain to get key combos working correctly with but we'll see. [QUOTE=StompyNZ;451779]FYI, I'm seeing this issue in vanilla now too, so maybe something they broke in one of the recent updates. (saw it on multiple store buildings, bookstore and messiah for sure)[/QUOTE] Thanks for the info Stompy. Sounds like a mesh gen problem to me. If A15 doesn't fix it I'll pass the data over to the Pimps.

[QUOTE=stallionsden;454870]Hal I remember you saying a few alphas ago you were attempting a 3d prefab tool. Was wondering how that was going :-) if you had any success. AS your editor is amazing :-)[/QUOTE] Hi stallionsden, Yeah I got a basic one up and running but the amount of work required to get it running properly was just too much for one person. I'm not a 3D artist and the work : benefit ratio just wasn't right. I've still got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to convert the editor to an SDX project at some point in the future. That way I could use the actual game as a base for a 3D editor. That would greatly simplify a lot of the stuff I can't do alone. No promises but the idea is there.

[QUOTE=HAL9000;455112]Hi stallionsden, Yeah I got a basic one up and running but the amount of work required to get it running properly was just too much for one person. I'm not a 3D artist and the work : benefit ratio just wasn't right. I've still got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to convert the editor to an SDX project at some point in the future. That way I could use the actual game as a base for a 3D editor. That would greatly simplify a lot of the stuff I can't do alone. No promises but the idea is there.[/QUOTE] Sounds awesome the sdx be so awesome hehe :-D. And yeh i gather the 3d one be quite a task.

Working on a prefab pack I think you guys are gonna like, but how do I make doors spawn locked in game? I locked them before exporting, but that info didn't save. Is it something to do with the Meta state in the editor?

[QUOTE=Guppycur;455306]Isn't.. The game itself... A 3d editor? /vacation guppy sheepishly asks (I get it, I do, but I still think I'm funny. :))[/QUOTE] That's all that matters Guppy, that's all that matters ^^ [QUOTE=TSBX;457078]Working on a prefab pack I think you guys are gonna like, but how do I make doors spawn locked in game? I locked them before exporting, but that info didn't save. Is it something to do with the Meta state in the editor?[/QUOTE] Yes it's a meta option. Go into Info mode (F2) and click on the door. In the bottom left of the editor choose the meta "locked"

Could not find the command folder. I have been watching tutorials on using your editor. Your videos I have a hard time with the sound for some reason I can barely hear you. I used bigc90210 video on your prefab editor and followed his directions. But I keep getting this error message when I try to setup the backup manager... Could not find the command folder. Can not auto refesh. Leave the game and re-enter to apply the changes. I have tried completely quitting the game and re-starting. I have re-downloaded your editor. I have re-set the settings. Still the same messages. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Archived