Party XP

A Nice Cup of Tea

One of the new features that's been mentioned for A17 is shared XP - that is, when you and your friends are playing together and you're within a certain radius of each other you share out the XP gained for doing things rather than each person just getting XP for their own actions.

I don't think this is a particularly controversial game mechanic - most games in the action-RPG genre have something similar (although I can see that the people who are already complaining that their immersion is broken by being able to increase their farming skill by killing zombies are going to lose their minds when they realise that they can increase their farming skill because their friend is killing zombies...)

This was, I think, put in as an aid for the quest system so that players could do a quest together and share the XP for it. However, it hasn't been talked about much and I have some questions:

1) Is the radius in the XML or game options so we can change it, or is it set in the game code itself?

2) Is this for all XP, or just for quest-related XP? Similarly, is the feature switched on all the time or only switched on when you're doing a quest?

3) Is it a simple all-or-nothing where anyone inside the radius shares the XP equally? Or is there some kind of formula for drop-off so the nearer you are to the person doing the XP-gaining action the bigger share you get?

Can anyone in the know answer these or give more information about how the shared XP system works?

Edit: For more context, I'm hoping that it's a flat sharing of all XP and that I will be able to mod the radius to larger than the size of the map so that my friends and I can share all XP equally. That way when we work together there's no issue with division of labour - the person building and the person going out scavenging and the person farming will all get the same XP and increase in level together, and no one role will be make that person go up levels faster (or slower) than everyone else.

It’s a stupid perk/idea, it’s totally irrelevant to what the base game should be and was about

The base game idea was supposed to be about surviving after a holocaust, grinding, rebuilding, growing, and surviving with all the nitty and gritty of trying to do that

NOT magically healing nearby survivors!!

It seems like the game is moving away from that.

Too many perks, not needed

Too many attributes, not needed

Get down to the core to what it’s supposed to be about, get rid of all the unnecessary unneeded perks/attributes etc.

What’s the next perk going to be about…..”Buy this to make your left thumb move quicker”

Pointless!!

Stop ruining a game with unnecessary “power ups”

Fix the existing glitches and bugs 1st before trying to promote something that ruins and takes away the core idea

The base game idea was supposed to be about surviving after a holocaust, grinding, rebuilding, growing, and surviving with all the nitty and gritty of trying to do that

Your idea of the game seems to be different than the developers idea. No surprise they took a different turn than you. Make a mod.

Why choose this thread to post your opinions?

The dev diary would be more appropriate if you hope TFP will alter things more to your liking.

i wasn't meaning to make things to MY liking, just what i thought the idea of the game was about from the start

true wrong thread, sorry about that

i wasn't meaning to make things to MY liking, just what i thought the idea of the game was about from the start

true wrong thread, sorry about that

Again, your idea or the idea of the developers? Read the kickstarter page if you want to see what the idea originally was. Even then they had RPG and advancement, sandbox, co-op play in mind, the core of the game is smeared over a large area really.

Since we're supposed to get exp for different attributes separately so no more "mining until everything is maxed" is possible, I can't imagine how shared exp would even work here.

Also, got a quote on that? Or its just random discussion between players?

Since we're supposed to get exp for different attributes separately so no more "mining until everything is maxed" is possible, I can't imagine how shared exp would even work here.

You no longer get XP for different attributes separately in the new perk system.

Also, got a quote on that? Or its just random discussion between players?

From the list of new features in the Dev Diary thread:

+Party quests will provide xp sharing when party members stay close to each other 7/24/18

You no longer get XP for different attributes separately in the new perk system.

From the list of new features in the Dev Diary thread:

Oh well, disappointing times 2 then.

Especially the exp part as it pretty much invalidates the whole new system.

Yay for hitting a rock endlessly making you smarter and faster, but not stronger, unless you choose to....

(although I can see that the people who are already complaining that their immersion is broken by being able to increase their farming skill by killing zombies are going to lose their minds when they realise that they can increase their farming skill because their friend is killing zombies...)[/i]

Well to those people I just say you can learn alot by watching someone else do something. Watching someone else firing a pistol for instance can help teach you how to hold it, how to reload it, etc. So its not immersion breaking at all.

Archived