I solved the underground base exploit!!!!

Vomkat

So, to recap, here are the changes I think (hope) I can make with .xml and will try to implement:

*Turning stone into actual stone, with no ore

*Removing all advanced technology crafting

*increasing the time it takes to make stuff

*Getting rid of edible cacti and endless snowberries

*Making farming hard again

*Increasing biome size

*Deleting basically the entire skill/perk tree

*Getting rid of all non-canon DOOM zombies

*Anything else needed for the to-do list?

GOODBYE ABSURD FANTASY MODE

We can get a real survival mod up in here! One where you are actually thrilled to find a 9mm bullet, and the blunderbuss skillbook is an amazing treasure.

UNCONFIRMED: It appears that I can change the biome size, I just ran and ran and it was glorious, no immersion breaking transitions at all. Such an easy fix. I'll post here again when I finish a comprehensive mod for people who want an actual survival game.

You don't understand the full exploit. You aren't digging to get away from zombies. You are digging to get rocks, for concrete, which you can turn into rocket launchers and automated machine-guns (none of which you will ever need).

Exactly, that's why in a zombie apocalypse survival game you shouldn't be able to smelt iron and build a steel skyscraper. At the very least, you should have to wait more than a few days before you begin construction.

I do! Who wants to play a game with no challenge?

Which is why the developers need to add a 'realism' option which forces the player to live above ground, surviving within existing buildings and struggling to develop stone age technology. An effective stone axe should be like pro-level endgame technology.

I think you're looking for the True Survival mod. You'll love it.

Help me understand something because I don't get the long long term game scenario. What is it you are accomplishing at day 150? What is there left to do other than survive each bloodmoon horde and build back up for the next one? Don't you have everything and can kill everything and can craft everything and have explored everything by Day 150? Isn't starting over and trying new character builds more interesting? I've tried to do the long term game and once I'm at the top it gets boring and monotonous. I like the ascension so I keep doing that part. What keeps you interested once you're way up there?

It's the same reasons a Billionaire keeps struggling to make ever more money. They don't NEED to, they just WANT to. :)

I build HUGE buildings, above and below. I make new designs that are pure entertainment and have little survival value.

I like the struggle part the best of course, but each stage of any game usually has its own joys for me anyway.

Well I've completed my mod, and now I am playtesting it. I can already tell the game is vastly improved.

I spawned on a desert island, perhaps the victim of a shipwreck, as many of the zombies were clad in bathing attire. Unlike the vanilla game, I was not able to magically exploit infinite resources, while pretending to live on cactus and digging down to limitless oil reserves. Instead, I found myself fleeing the undead, who continuously shambled after me. Just like a real zombie survival game, I found myself out of breath and struggling to stay ahead of them, saving my energy to sprint around the one in front of me. As in a real-life situation, I had some trouble producing a stone axe, which soon broke. I was quite happy to catch a chicken.

Instead of simply walking over to a jarring intersection with three other biomes, it took me an entire day to cross the island, after which I had to swim across to the mainland. Unfortunately, there were more zombies here. After climbing atop a ridge, I looked back to see the desert, and ahead to see that my course would lead me through an imposing mountain range.

20181004004925_1.thumb.jpg.e46911e1d30730faa227ef9c5ff3ab54.jpg

20181004004916_1.thumb.jpg.86592af3585b55159224630ed5e34fcd.jpg

Help me understand something because I don't get the long long term game scenario. What is it you are accomplishing at day 150? What is there left to do other than survive each bloodmoon horde and build back up for the next one? Don't you have everything and can kill everything and can craft everything and have explored everything by Day 150? Isn't starting over and trying new character builds more interesting? I've tried to do the long term game and once I'm at the top it gets boring and monotonous. I like the ascension so I keep doing that part. What keeps you interested once you're way up there?

Some people enjoy only the sandbox part of the game, as it is painfully apparent, others could keep playing just to satisfy OCDs.

But it would be nice if that wasn't the case in a long term scenario and I definitely don't think that dungeon POIs, infinitely harder hordes or radiant quests alone can solve that.

Why are you still talking? Your vulgar language is unacceptable, and you are banned from this thread.

Please find another thread to troll, I am not reading your posts.

To keep people that don't agree with you from posting, just have a moderator go into the forum settings and find the post reply button code and set the button's click health to 5000000000 to require people to hit reply that many times and WHOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA, it will take them forever before they can post.

Of course, i'd recommend giving the moderators a list of approved posters so they can bypass it.

I really dont see what the problem is here. At the moment the game is designed with no proper threats to underground bases. In my opinion that is not a problem. My crafting stations are often underground and i still fight every hordenight in my arena and go out looting almost every day. Just as in real life, i tend to spend my nights indoors (and if one compares this to RL, one sleeps at night, so very safe location is needed), only in the game i dont need to sleep, so i build, i dig, i craft, and during day i go out hunting, farming, killing, building my arena.

And in the end, alot of people enjoy building to see what they can build in survival where you have to gather and mine all the stuff you need to build, and i am one of them. There are options one can change to make it harder to go underground, one can change what you can build and use, so if the vanilla game is not good enough, go and change it. Just like some other games, factorio for example in my case at the moment. I got bored with vanilla so started using mods.

The same applys here as well, the devs have a goal in mind what the game should look like when done. If they say no zombies underground, that is not an exploit, if they say there should be, fine as well, i will adapt or find a mod that takes them out of underground if it can be moded and i dont like it. But they are giving us moding options so we can make the game more to our liking.

So back to beginning, i really dont see a problem here. :)

So, to recap, here are the changes I think (hope) I can make with .xml and will try to implement:

*Turning stone into actual stone, with no ore

*Removing all advanced technology crafting

*increasing the time it takes to make stuff

*Getting rid of edible cacti and endless snowberries

*Making farming hard again

*Increasing biome size

*Deleting basically the entire skill/perk tree

*Getting rid of all non-canon DOOM zombies

*Anything else needed for the to-do list?

Limit birds nest to contain no more then two feathers.

I really dont see what the problem is here. At the moment the game is designed with no proper threats to underground bases. In my opinion that is not a problem. My crafting stations are often underground and i still fight every hordenight in my arena and go out looting almost every day. Just as in real life, i tend to spend my nights indoors (and if one compares this to RL, one sleeps at night, so very safe location is needed), only in the game i dont need to sleep, so i build, i dig, i craft, and during day i go out hunting, farming, killing, building my arena.

And in the end, alot of people enjoy building to see what they can build in survival where you have to gather and mine all the stuff you need to build, and i am one of them. There are options one can change to make it harder to go underground, one can change what you can build and use, so if the vanilla game is not good enough, go and change it. Just like some other games, factorio for example in my case at the moment. I got bored with vanilla so started using mods.

The same applys here as well, the devs have a goal in mind what the game should look like when done. If they say no zombies underground, that is not an exploit, if they say there should be, fine as well, i will adapt or find a mod that takes them out of underground if it can be moded and i dont like it. But they are giving us moding options so we can make the game more to our liking.

So back to beginning, i really dont see a problem here. :)

Correct...Unlike some on here..this speaks volumes.

plenty of great mods out there..Your money your game play as you like

I don't disagree with the OP in the sense that everyone should be allowed to play the game he or she wants to play, why else would so much effort be put into providing editable .xml scripts if not for modding.

If you want to dig, well dig, if you don't want to dig, don't dig, and if you want to make all stone into bedrock, go for it. Thats the whole point of the game. To have fun on your terms.

- P

There is an even easier solution than XML edits. Bitches need to quit bitching, and the problem is solved. Most people who go underground are for legit mining or to have their crafting stations not be destroyed, losing 30k of several resources at once, per forge, etc... If freaks with control issues stop whining about it, suddenly there is no problem and the game stays enjoyable for everyone.

Damn, that was simple.

This right here..though yes it could have been phrased better lol! The worse thing a game like this can do is start to cut options for different play styles imo. Far far better to give the most options possible to make it palatable to the largest group of players so more can enjoy it. I only ever go underground to mine for resources to craft with and for me it's a good way to pass the night before heading off to loot during the day time.

Sure I'm ok with zombies digging a block or two below themselves to make it harder to build silly zombie (for me anyhow) farms two blocks down in a road or something for a bit of realism but I sure as *cough* won't be playing if they become dirt torpedoes!

On a side point if I found myself in a zombie apocalypse where they had the ability to magically beat their iron limbed non fleshy way through concrete the FIRST thing I'd do is dig downward as far as I could get to make tunnels with several escape routes and narrow tunnel trap kill zones like the Vietnamese did during the Vietnam war! Living above ground in a world like 7 days to die would be suicide! :cower:

Limit birds nest to contain no more then two feathers.

Or have basic arrows just use wood, stone and weeds (as simple fletching).

But then they have a terrible accuracy, and are really just usable on quite short ranges. -> but are easy to replace.

(It would be an alternative to early melee combat)

Then have birdnests be way more sparse (the birdnest on the ground thing is kind of odd, cant they be objects attached to tree-branches and house-roofs?)

Birdfeathers then provide a way to craft better performing arrows, but are harder to get by.

They then allow the player to finally use longer range attacks.

Well I've completed my mod, and now I am playtesting it. I can already tell the game is vastly improved.

I spawned on a desert island, perhaps the victim of a shipwreck, as many of the zombies were clad in bathing attire. Unlike the vanilla game, I was not able to magically exploit infinite resources, while pretending to live on cactus and digging down to limitless oil reserves. Instead, I found myself fleeing the undead, who continuously shambled after me. Just like a real zombie survival game, I found myself out of breath and struggling to stay ahead of them, saving my energy to sprint around the one in front of me. As in a real-life situation, I had some trouble producing a stone axe, which soon broke. I was quite happy to catch a chicken.

Instead of simply walking over to a jarring intersection with three other biomes, it took me an entire day to cross the island, after which I had to swim across to the mainland. Unfortunately, there were more zombies here. After climbing atop a ridge, I looked back to see the desert, and ahead to see that my course would lead me through an imposing mountain range.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25173[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]25174[/ATTACH]

I just want to give a shout out to TFP for creating such an amazing game that is capable of being changed to fit different preferences in such a dramatic way. Without the developers' commitment to making this a hobby gaming experience Vomkat would be stuck playing the basic game and probably shelving it and moving on sooner rather than later.

So while Vomkat's post is obviously dripping with scorn for the design choices of the vanilla game I'm sure somewhere deep inside they are appreciative of the design choices for the coding so that a survival design that resonates with them could be attained.

Congrats, Vomkat, on creating what you desired.

Archived