How I Would Run TFP

TSBX

What's more forgivable?

To never start a new game because TFP made you think an update was imminent but it gets dragged out for months.

or

To start a game because you think the update will be later but it comes sooner than expected causing you to have to start over.

I bet most people would say option 2. So just play A16 and if you have to wipe unexpectedly at least it will be because A17 is here.

Or have an actual clue about your dev schedule, Like the other poster said it's been any day now since June. I can understand unexpected set backs but to be off by MONTHS just shows that you don't even have a clue about your own dev schedule and really shouldn't be saying anything.

This isn't the first time either, it seems like EVERY alpha has been months behind the stated schedule and every time it's like "lol We aren't in the wrong the it's the forums who are being unreasonable." I don't know, maybe we are being unreasonable. Maybe we expect too much. Maybe it's too much to ask that TFP actually have some insight to their own dev schedule.

Also shouldn't these so called professionals realize that spouting off how close the alpha is every two minute and subsequently failing to deliver just makes matters worse? There is ALWAYS major outrage on the forums because of how TFP communicate leading up to alphas but their communication never changes it continues to be sensationalized, promissory, and antagonistic. At this point I'm fairly certain MadMole and TFP in general are either incompetent or trolling.

Roland, I always appreciate the way you explain things because I usually "get it".. so I may be misunderstanding something here... but I think we agree.

Option 1.. never starting a new game because it seems like the update is imminent.... Well.. that's exactly what im saying --- ever since June it seems like it was imminent... why is this?? Maybe it was the communication.. maybe it was the communities bad interpretation... including me. Did they not know there was a crap ton of work to do? Its perfectly valid if they didn't realize it.. im just asking.

Option 2... I think more people would have started new games back in June/July if it didn't feel like the update was just about done.

I think the majority of people got mislead NOT into a specific date.. but a specific timeframe.... say..july/august -- but the fact that it wont be probably till mid October (atleast) means there was a crap ton of work to still do back in June. However the communication back in June made it seems like a couple more weeks of polishing and we were good to go. I personally would have appreciated being told back in June "guys we got several months of work ahead of us before A17e".

Not sure if my point is coming across, its not even about starting new games.. I could care a less. My main point of confusion is that back in the june/july timeframe (I think most would agree) that it almost seemed like release was imminent.... Do you think that was a misinterpretation by the community? or was it do to the communication given to the community? The TFP may have been able to tell us back then that release atleast 3 months away....if they had a grasp of how much work this stuff takes...and I think they do have a grasp of that.

I think that Madmole says things that to him are simply synonymous phrases to “This is awesome!” And doesn’t really think about how else it might be taken. “Hopefully by end of July” means THIS IS AWESOME!

“A17 is practically Beta” means THIS IS AWESOME! “This is 75% of a sequel” means THIS IS AWESOME!

So I’m not going to argue that Madmole is a professional PR guy. He’s honest and always in-the-moment and says unrehearsed stuff I later regret...;)

But it’s the way it is. He likes being the front man and he’s the owner so....he’s the front man. And to be honest, as annoying as he may be to some people he is very endearing to others. Lots of people like him and his unassuming one-of-the-guys attitude. While some HATE that he isn’t an elite pro at the game others appreciate that he’s a normal guy and doesn’t try to Doctor his videos or spend time practicing up to make himself look better.

After I posted what I did I almost edited it to add on that I wasn’t trying to excuse the bad miscommunications with me post because I’m not. It’s obvious that TFP don’t really focus on PR concerns and therefore there is a lot of room for improvement in the eyes of people who like to be handled by PR.

I was merely stating that people should start a new game of A16 today and not worry about what might happen tomorrow or next week.

I think that Madmole says things that to him are simply synonymous phrases to “This is awesome!” And doesn’t really think about how else it might be taken. “Hopefully by end of July” means THIS IS AWESOME!

“A17 is practically Beta” means THIS IS AWESOME! “This is 75% of a sequel” means THIS IS AWESOME!

So I’m not going to argue that Madmole is a professional PR guy. He’s honest and always in-the-moment and says unrehearsed stuff I later regret...;)

But it’s the way it is. He likes being the front man and he’s the owner so....he’s the front man. And to be honest, as annoying as he may be to some people he is very endearing to others. Lots of people like him and his unassuming one-of-the-guys attitude. While some HATE that he isn’t an elite pro at the game others appreciate that he’s a normal guy and doesn’t try to Doctor his videos or spend time practicing up to make himself look better.

After I posted what I did I almost edited it to add on that I wasn’t trying to excuse the bad miscommunications with me post because I’m not. It’s obvious that TFP don’t really focus on PR concerns and therefore there is a lot of room for improvement in the eyes of people who like to be handled by PR.

I was merely stating that people should start a new game of A16 today and not worry about what might happen tomorrow or next week.

As always, I appreciate the response. I do like Mr. Mole by the way. He is like the Dana White of the TFP

I´m having a bonding moment here. Sounds familiar. Sometimes bossman goes on tv and says something...i´m already instantly regretting because I know what comes after....

hug

Maybe you should tell him that his "honest" and "in-the-moment" statements disappoint hundreds or thousands of people every alpha. So they get sad or angry. Convince him that he would be even greater and more honest if he did get people's hopes up every time.

I don't get sad or angry of course. But the reason is kinda sad too, though. I just don't give any value to release date statements. I've learned that they simply mean nothing.

Well I’m glad you’re not sad or angry and that you can take it all in stride and realize that release date news is not something to rely on. It’s nice of you to play the big brother role for everyone else who can’t make that emotional adjustment.

I tend to believe that most people are like you and I and roll their eyes when a release date statement is made but don’t go off the reservation. You seem to believe that there are hundreds of thousands of co-dependent people who need your advocacy.

(Are there even hundreds of thousands who follow the news well enough to even know about release date estimates and feel blue?)

There may be many thousands who see some people whining on the internet about things and believe everything they say to be true, so there's that. There may also be a few who know that not everyone is going to say something so they make a couple extra accounts to say it over again for them. :)

If I ran TFP I would probably find a way to say things that make people even madder.

There are those that need to remember a simple fact...

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

Deal with it. The horse is dead and has been beaten enough.

Well I’m glad you’re not sad or angry and that you can take it all in stride and realize that release date news is not something to rely on. It’s nice of you to play the big brother role for everyone else who can’t make that emotional adjustment.

Nah, you're not glad, it annoys you, so you ridicule my notes, hoping I would not make them anymore. Cheap rhetorics.

It is, though, too bad that you can't be more of big brother to the community, but instead have to spend so much time making excuses for 1, as it sounds, unteachable Joel.

I tend to believe that most people are like you and I and roll their eyes when a release date statement is made but don’t go off the reservation. You seem to believe that there are hundreds of thousands of co-dependent people who need your advocacy.

(Are there even hundreds of thousands who follow the news well enough to even know about release date estimates and feel blue?)

You read that wrong, Roland, I seem to believe there are "hundreds or thousands" of people who, well, would benefit from your enthusiastic "big boy" type of boss thinking about what he says. Including you and the other moderators who have to deal with the complaints on a daily basis. And the eye rollers, btw, also had been upset initially. Yourself included. We only learned to laugh at any release date announcements, after so and so many disappointments.

I'm curious, have you ever tried to talk to the boss about it? What's his angle? I find it hard to imagine that there's no way to get through to him, as it is so obvious that when he says "probably then and then", people will wait then and then. That it makes zero difference that he said "probably".

I'd probably stop leading everyone on so people actually play your game instead of getting huge player drop offs and generating tons of ill will. I really do get it about not wanting to give concrete dates but if you don't want to give dates don't give dates! This dragging on for months about how alphas are so close when in reality they are not is what upsets people. Either get your stuff in gear and have timely releases or be quiet and stop telling everyone how close something is for months at a time!

exactly. nobody can tell me, honestly, with a straight face, that everything they are doing now, in October, was even remotely close enough to think that back in July they might release the experimental.

I´m having a bonding moment here. Sounds familiar. Sometimes bossman goes on tv and says something...i´m already instantly regretting because I know what comes after....

hug

I think you should really try to let him know that his videos of him talking aren't a great look. Or the videos of him playing. There's a part where he falls into a basement, is staring at the back of a staircase and says "I wonder how to get out of here...."

That blew me away. There's so many other examples where he gets hit so many times, it's really disturbing. I mean, no one plays like that. Getting hit is the last thing you want to do, you can get infected or bleed out! He then said "...now [with the melee update] you've got to take one to give one..."

That has to be one of those unrehearsed things that would have better been unsaid. I never, ever want to get hit in 7D2D and I don't think anyone else does either. Trading blows with a zombie in a game that's supposed to be mostly realistic is crazy. There's very skilled people who make videos all the time that I think we be better showcasing the update and giving information.

"..I haven't played in a year, so don't judge me..." = That's also another quote that's just...very shocking. I dunno, I think a bit more fore-thought should go into things. Other developers playing their own games, when they make videos, are much more polished, and that's putting it very nicely.

I think you should really try to let him know that his videos of him talking aren't a great look. Or the videos of him playing. There's a part where he falls into a basement, is staring at the back of a staircase and says "I wonder how to get out of here...."

That blew me away. There's so many other examples where he gets hit so many times, it's really disturbing. I mean, no one plays like that. Getting hit is the last thing you want to do, you can get infected or bleed out! He then said "...now [with the melee update] you've got to take one to give one..."

That has to be one of those unrehearsed things that would have better been unsaid. I never, ever want to get hit in 7D2D and I don't think anyone else does either. Trading blows with a zombie in a game that's supposed to be mostly realistic is crazy. There's very skilled people who make videos all the time that I think we be better showcasing the update and giving information.

"..I haven't played in a year, so don't judge me..." = That's also another quote that's just...very shocking. I dunno, I think a bit more fore-thought should go into things. Other developers playing their own games, when they make videos, are much more polished, and that's putting it very nicely.

Well, I have this quote:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/1736589519988944722/

Originally posted by madmole:

I'm pretty sure I could destroy you in any game, I used to smash whole teams of people against me alone in quake and counter strike and was offered to be sponsored years back to travel and compete but I was wanting to make games so I declined. I do stupid stuff deliberately to make the videos entertaining so think what you want to think. I already proved the game can't kill me in my dead is dead video series I posted an alpha or two ago, and look at my kill 20 dog challenge video. After we shipped Gore (a pvp shooter) the best guy who was hands down the top player in the whole community challenged me and I smoked him 20 to 3.

This used to be a forced first post in this thread: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86578-Lets-help-TFP-improve-PvP But it seems moderation has edited this away or whatever.

So according to Joel, he actually plays on a pro gamer level, but fails in his vids to make them funny. He is indeed doing a great job then, hiding his superior skills.

Well, I have this quote:

This used to be a forced first post in this thread: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86578-Lets-help-TFP-improve-PvP But it seems moderation has edited this away or whatever.

So according to Joel, he actually plays on a pro gamer level, but fails in his vids to make them funny. He is indeed doing a great job then, hiding his superior skills.

That is in not a professional grade gamer in those YouTube videos. He gets hit SOOO many times.

Does anyone here as a 7D2D player think "Gotta take one to give one" is something that fits the ethos of this game? Please, someone answer that! It's a zombie apocalypse! The last thing you should do is get hit or scratched by a zed. Implying taking a hit is now part of the gameplay is pretty insane.

"I'm pretty sure I could destroy you in any game, I used to smash whole teams of people against me alone in quake and counter strike and was offered to be sponsored years back to travel and compete but"

I'm sorry, I think this is utterly impossible. I first started with FPS's with Tribes 1 decades ago. I can utterly spot a professional player when I'm looking at one. In multiple game genres. Watching the Alpha 17 videos of Joels in no remote fashion implies to me he is a professional grade player of FPS games. The very slow and bad targeting, the taking hits, etc.

I've also been in the record industry for years. I spot professional talent and I know what professional representatives of company's look like, talk like, and act like. It's literally my job to know and spot and deal with these types of people. Joel is indeed masking his professional skillset.

• 2 months later...

Archived