7 Days To Die, How does it run for you ?

War3zuk

I seem to have Issues getting this game to stay at an approx FPS.... My Old PC specs & new as of last week...

Athlon 8 core at 4ghz old cpu

32GB ram decent stuff

500GB Nmve samsung pro running at x4 well max speed of board...

Radeon RX580+ Limited Ed 8GB Vram at 8100Mhz

New PC......

Ryzen 2700X o/c to 4150Mhz

32GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz

same hard drive as above & same card....

The game stutters badly & frames drop from 70 in medium settings down to 10, I can start the game with everything maxed out in settings but it still does the same thing, windows 10 latest build, is there any tweaks that help this game ?

I already know about the single thread vs multithread which I cant change....

I used to run this with an nVidia 660, which is slower than the RX580, and I got decent performance. Today I'm using an nVidia 1060, but I still can't max out the eye candy.

Some of the graphic settings are serious fps killers. Shadows is a high offender, and full size textures can cause problems. Don't just select medium or high, tweak the different settings and see what is stealing your fps. Your setup should run good, I think you just need to tweak your graphic settings.

Also, once you start the game, you need to go into graphics settings, and just click OK without changing anything. I'm not sure if they ever fixed this particular bug or not, but it used to give really bad fps until you do that.

I run with:

vsync off

anti aliasing off

texture quality half size

uma texture quality high

reflection quality low

reflected shadows not checked

water quality high

view distance 12

field of view 90

lod distance 50%

shadows distance near

tree quality ultra

grass distance normal

motion blus

off

water particles 0

ssao not selected

dof not selected

sun shafts selected

I get excellent performance, and even with my old nVidia 660 it ran well with these settings.

disclaimer: YMMV ...

I can safely say it has nothing at all to do with AMD cpus. I have a Ryzen cpu and similar performing GPU and have no frame drop issues even with near max settings. I did have frame time lag issues for a long time until my system became so beefy that when I capped my fps to 72 (half my monitor's refresh rate), it made them a lot more subtle.

And I agree with other comments about disabling v-sync. It's far better to just limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate than to use a v-sync which only serves to potentially cause problems. To me, it's like blur effect, I don't understand why it exists.

7dtd framerate is probably limited to 60.

nope... there's no fps limit to 7d2d unless you set the limit yourself using v-sync or third party apps.

Ark tops out for me between 130-140 fps

How is that relevant to this topic? That game isn't even remotely comparable to this game. Not even slightly.

Well, just to add:

Old PC:

CPU: Phenom II X4 @ 4.2 OC. (965 BE Edition)

GPU: AMD R9 280X

Display: 1920x1080 (60Hz Panel)

RAM 12GB

Well, 30 fps max on mid details with vsync on, often stutter and down to 3 fps.

Then partial upgrade:

GPU: NVIDIA 1080 (non-ti) to be precise: Zotac AMP Extreme Edition

Display: 3440x1440 (100Hz Panel)

RAM 12GB

Result: 30fps on middle details with vsync on, stutter down to 10 fps

After my completed upgrade:

CPU: Ryzen 2700x @ 3.9

RAM 32GB

Result: 60fps on max details, almost steady with vsync on. sometimes drop down to 30, sometimes up to 80.

Well, just to add:

Old PC:

GPU: AMD R9 280X

Display: 1920x1080 (60Hz Panel)

RAM 12GB

Well, 30 fps max on mid details with vsync on, often stutter and down to 3 fps.

Then partial upgrade:

RAM 12GB

Result: 30fps on middle details with vsync on, stutter down to 10 fps

After my completed upgrade:

CPU: Ryzen 2700x @ 3.9

RAM 32GB

Result: 60fps on max details, almost steady with vsync on. sometimes drop down to 30, sometimes up to 80.

Disable v-sync, use an fps limiter (third party app) and set it to 100fps (matching your display), all your fps problems will go away. For Nvidia cards, you can use Precision XOC to enable fps limiter (also allows you to manually set the fan curve as the default always sucks).

When I upgraded my PC from my old AM4+ CPU to my new Ryzen. The CPU and Ram speed boost upped by frame rate a good 15-20FPS across every game I play.

Something to think about is the reflections in game. They are SO OVERKILL in my opinion. The amount of immersion they provide for the FPS hit you take is definitely not worth it.

I run an 8 Core Ryzen with 16GB of Ram on a Radeon 290x and get 45FPS consistantly outside and 60fps easily in caves and buildings.

This is with EVERYTHING MAX settings EXCEPT Reflections which are turned off. AMD and NVIDIA do not play nice in regard to certain operational optimizations. That might be why reflections cause such a big hit for me.

Disable v-sync, use an fps limiter (third party app) and set it to 100fps (matching your display), all your fps problems will go away. For Nvidia cards, you can use Precision XOC to enable fps limiter (also allows you to manually set the fan curve as the default always sucks).

you can limit fps through console commands, the 3rd party app is not necessary. if you type help in console it'll be listed there as something like settargetfps, i have mine set to 120 that way with 60fps monitor

Everything on Ultra or high but DoF and Sun Shafts off, and reflections off because they are ugly and baked.

Locked at 60 fps (vsync on) but only dips to 30-45 fps in Forest biome and Ruined Cities for unknown reasons, all other towns and biomes are fine. 30-45 fps on bloodmoon because badly coded zombie spawns and AI.

Old i4770 non-K @4 Ghz / 16 Gigs Ram / Geforce 1070 gtx

you can limit fps through console commands, the 3rd party app is not necessary. if you type help in console it'll be listed there as something like settargetfps, i have mine set to 120 that way with 60fps monitor

Oh, cool... they should make it an official feature within the menu then.

For people having poor performance, bring down the View Distance from 12 to 8 or 9. It makes a big difference for some of my friends.

View Distance is a setting that cannot be changed while pausing the game; quit the game and go in Options from the Main Menu.

Let me know if that helps.

My performance is around 60 FPS average with everything maxed out (except the view distance which is at 8). Running at a resolution of 2560x1440 on a 144hz display with GSYNC

HOWEVER, THIS IS MY SYSTEM:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X

GPU: GTX 1080

RAM: G.SKILL FLARE X 16X2 GB (32GB) @2666MHZ

Game is running on an SSD, btw.

NO it's not my DRIVERS, and NO it's not my TEMPS. Absolutely nothing is wrong with my system. I can get well over 100 FPS in Battlefield 1 maxed out, for example. Nearly every game I play, I can max out on my 1440p resolution and get at least 80FPS, all except for 7DTD. Yeah, this game is extremely un-optimized. It use to run just fine back with Alpha 14 (before long distance terrain). It's for this reason why I want the devs to focus on nothing else but optimization for a whole alpha build. I hear that A17 will bring some more optimization, but I'll believe it when I see the numbers. Devs have promised a ton of things that they haven't delivered on.

it runs fine for me on my potatoe :)

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 67 °C

Wolfdale 45nm Technology

RAM

4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 3048h (XU1 PROCESSOR)

Graphics

DELL 1704FPV (1280x1024@60Hz)

DELL 1704FPV (1280x1024@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (ZOTAC International) 66 °C

Storage

465GB Seagate ST3500413AS (SATA) 43 °C

465GB Seagate ST3500630NS (SATA) 48 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

If you’re running SP and notice FPS issues the one thing you can do (if you have the means) is run a dedicated server to offload some of the processing. It’s amazing how much faster the game runs when your client does not need to do additional processing. Yes even in SP.

For people having poor performance, bring down the View Distance from 12 to 8 or 9. It makes a big difference for some of my friends.

View Distance is a setting that cannot be changed while pausing the game; quit the game and go in Options from the Main Menu.

Let me know if that helps.

View distance is responsible for how far blocks are loaded. Yes, you can significantly increase performance by reducing it.

However IMO it is not worth doing it. Instead reduce other things, like shadows, reflections and so on, do not reduce how far away you can see.

If you’re running SP and notice FPS issues the one thing you can do (if you have the means) is run a dedicated server to offload some of the processing. It’s amazing how much faster the game runs when your client does not need to do additional processing. Yes even in SP.

I actually noticed a performance decrease (far fewer FPS) when joining an online server compared to a SP game. I have no idea why though, because, as you said, some of the processing is moved from the client to the server.

Anyone knows why?

My performance is around 60 FPS average with everything maxed out (except the view distance which is at 8). Running at a resolution of 2560x1440 on a 144hz display with GSYNC

HOWEVER, THIS IS MY SYSTEM:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X

GPU: GTX 1080

RAM: G.SKILL FLARE X 16X2 GB (32GB) @2666MHZ

Game is running on an SSD, btw.

NO it's not my DRIVERS, and NO it's not my TEMPS. Absolutely nothing is wrong with my system. I can get well over 100 FPS in Battlefield 1 maxed out, for example. Nearly every game I play, I can max out on my 1440p resolution and get at least 80FPS, all except for 7DTD. Yeah, this game is extremely un-optimized. It use to run just fine back with Alpha 14 (before long distance terrain). It's for this reason why I want the devs to focus on nothing else but optimization for a whole alpha build. I hear that A17 will bring some more optimization, but I'll believe it when I see the numbers. Devs have promised a ton of things that they haven't delivered on.

My system is pretty much the same, RX580+ Limited Edition, Ryzen 2700X @ 4150mhz, 32 GB ram @ 3000mhz & I still get issues, HDD is the Samsung evo pro 500GB SSD running at the boards max speed of around 3Gb transfer rates burst....

Sometimes I can go 90 fps & keep it & then i come across a building or church or some prefab & boom 10 fps lol.... Ive set up my GFX according to some on here & its keeping approx 60 ish for the most part but does dip badly for some reasons i cant always put a finger on....

Archived