A17 most likely [not September] according to Roland

Erik Louden

Grim tidings, Roland posted this in the A17 forum:

Just talked to the Huenink Brothers and they said it won't be this weekend starting Sept 7 for sure.

Joel said 0% chance it will be ready this week.

Rick said it would be "overly optimistic to get it out before the end of the month".

They are 100% fixing bugs and making sure all of the features work with each other. They know that the community wants it and they know that it has been longer than a year. They understand the frustration that is out there but they are not going to rush what they are doing.

Sad but please no emotional outbursts as I'd like the updates to continue.

I'm posting this because I really needed an update so I think others might too.

Oh well, good to know, rather than being kept in suspenders for every week of the month.

Better that they release a fairly polished version, rather than a buggy heap, otherwise the more extreme members of the playerbase will scream th house down.

On Topic

Thats a good statement, sure i would love to play A17 Yesterday, but now i know that it make sense to start something that needs longer instead of many small filler.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.

Talk about a continued failure in consistently managing expectations.....

Have they never heard of under promise and over deliver?

Time for me to check out Mist then....

Mist survival is sadly not really far developed.

I doubt you can spend a month with it

If you want to discuss it

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86588-Suggestions-for-Comparable-games

What I don't understand is how you go from

and

To "most likely in October".

As opposed to, say, December or fall 2025.

So MM said they were working on bug fixes, which means changing the code. You fix one bug and just created 32 more. This is not always the case but there is a residual effect. Think like the butterfly effect. Make one change and bam you're sterile.

So MM said they were working on bug fixes, which means changing the code. You fix one bug and just created 32 more. This is not always the case but there is a residual effect. Think like the butterfly effect. Make one change and bam you're sterile.

Exactly.

When they were changing over to the unity engine I was suprised they were anticipating August and thought to myself thats a lot of optimism ... I would have thoght mid sept is a stronger possibility, even for an excellent and huge team to tackle all those issues...

then they mentioned shaders and other issues... that is A LOT of work.

I don't know their team size but I know I can mess with an image for an hour or two to get it optimized just right let alone several hunderd.

I understand what it takes to fix bugs and know that pressure from impatient clients ONLY makes coders produce crappy results that are NOT REALLY READY but only "acceptable"...

Guys, Give them some time to GET IT RIGHT it's worth it.

My Guess is...Last week in Sept, first week in October from current bug fix observations statements.

Anyway, I still love the game and can see it will have a great potential to mod for several years.

we truly need this cryosleep thing

No. It did not go well the last time someone tried to avoid the wait to play a video game.

Unless of course...you know the answer to the Great Question?

(This message brought to you by the Unified Atheist League (UAL), the United Atheist Alliance (UAA) and the Allied Atheist Allegiance (AAA).)

-Morloc

No. It did not go well the last time someone tried to avoid the wait to play a video game.

(This message brought to you by the Unified Atheist League (UAL), the United Atheist Alliance (UAA) and the Allied Atheist Allegiance (AAA).)

-Morloc

I'm a card carrying member of Atheists Against Atheism (also AAA). We meet every Wednesday for prayers to nobody in particular.

-Morloc

Beware of the otters!

As a developer myself I completely understand that there can be unexpected delays or added complexities due to scope creep, but in all seriousness you guys need to follow a Scrum methodology which will improve your deliveries as its not fair to your customers or to yourselves.

As a developer myself I completely understand that there can be unexpected delays or added complexities due to scope creep, but in all seriousness you guys need to follow a Scrum methodology which will improve your deliveries as its not fair to your customers or to yourselves.

Not fair? You act like they cut off access to A16 a couple months ago or something and nobody has been able to access what they paid for. Customers have had unbroken access to development builds for the past 5 years.

They aren’t making “deliveries”. They are developing their game and when it fits with their schedule they will update the public build to the next version. They aren’t delaying a DLC of a finished game that they took pre-orders for six months ago.

They can release this for Thanksgiving if they need/want to and people can just continue to play A16 or some other game in their library. Heck, go buy a new game because you’ll be able to afford that AND the price of the A17 update when it comes out...that’s how fair TFP is to their customers.

Not fair? You act like they cut off access to A16 a couple months ago or something and nobody has been able to access what they paid for. Customers have had unbroken access to development builds for the past 5 years.

They aren’t making “deliveries”. They are developing their game and when it fits with their schedule they will update the public build to the next version. They aren’t delaying a DLC of a finished game that they took pre-orders for six months ago.

They can release this for Thanksgiving if they need/want to and people can just continue to play A16 or some other game in their library. Heck, go buy a new game because you’ll be able to afford that AND the price of the A17 update when it comes out...that’s how fair TFP is to their customers.

It was a simple suggestion Roland, I was not attacking TFP or anyone, I think you read more into what I wrote. All I was simply trying to provide is having a planned development structure is a good thing which yes is entirely the right of TFP.

It was a simple suggestion Roland, I was not attacking TFP or anyone, I think you read more into what I wrote. All I was simply trying to provide is having a planned development structure is a good thing which yes is entirely the right of TFP.

It wasn't just a "simple suggestion" though. You are not the first person to suggest it. Also, it criticizes and speaks to a process that you know nothing about. Along those lines, it assumes that TFP does not already have a planned development structure.

I think you missed my point.

That's the spirit! Roland +1

If I read more into it then I'm sorry if I came off as harsh to you. Really, it wasn't even solely you I was responding to. There is a general disconnect between a lot of people who are treating this as a finished game and the developers who are treating this as a project under construction. The devs don't plan updates to be released so they coincide with school vacations, or to not go up against other game releases, or for any reason other than making it work best for them as they develop. They aren't going to fix bugs that we want them to fix. They are going to fix bugs that need to be fixed in order to keep developing. They aren't going to keep a feature or an option in the game because we really like it, they are going to keep it or discard it depending on what is best for their work.

As for suggestions regarding the TFP business model and operations...let's just keep suggestions focused on the game itself. The game is the purpose of these forums and TFP is happy with its management and organization.

Archived