Any plan to bring back Hornets?

AiRJacobs

Hornet.jpg.d50541d4e08301c6186fba2003b5a3ee.jpg

Like the old ambiance, I think a return of the Hornets would be a great addition to the variety of this game. Frankly, I don't know why the hornets were removed, other than the devs wanted them to be replaced by vultures. However, why did they need to be replaced? Why not just have both? The vultures look nice and all, but they are no where near as intimidating as the hornets. I assume the hornets were some generic Unity store asset and the devs wanted to make something of their own? Or rather the hornets didn't fit the game's story? Or even that the buzzing sound was too annoying?

Here is my proposal. The vultures work great in the desert and burnt forest biomes, and perhaps even the oak forest. The hornets on the other hand, work tremendously well in the wasteland. The way I rationalized the hornets, was that the radiation was effecting their DNA, mutating them into a stronger species. It's perfectly reasonable to keep them to the wasteland, or even scatter some along the radiation zone surrounding Navezgane. The hornets could also be easier to kill, but travel in groups of 3 to give it a more "hive" feel. It would also be nice to see them behave with flight patterns similar to hornets. Lastly, for their size, I'd imagine the buzzing sound would have a much deeper tone with more bass.

Again, the vultures are fine, but in terms of the game's theme, story, and overall feel, they only do so much to show you how far the zombie apocalypse is effecting the world. Replacing the hornets with vultures feels like a step backwards in this way. The mutant hornets show a different angle, one where life is mutating and adapting into stronger predators. I always found the hornets to be terrifying, and would love to see them return.

The mutant hornets show a different angle, one where life is mutating and adapting into stronger predators.

Then we wouldn't be talking about a zombie apocalypse anymore. Always felt hornets were out of place. You can't just throw small bits and pieces of everything lest you want to end up with a incoherent thematic circus.

As for fallout - it just works (and does what you are talking about). It is a carefully created universe and (almost) everything sticks. Most species are mutated, everything is crafted in a way that shows a mature post-apocalyptic environment that has allowed time for mutations and so on. Some oversized hornets don't really do that and imo only manage to take away from the zombie-apocalypse experience (same as dogs, bears etc do).

Lol...for years the threads we had calling for the removal of the hornets citing that they didn’t fit in with anything else. How the pendulum swings...

I always liked them and hoped there would be some additional mutated insects thrown in. Alas, my preferences were on the wrong side of the devs’ own in that regard.

Sigh... can't argue with that... :(

I can...

An acid spitting zombie is not out of place with the theme. The sound may not be perfect, but the idea is solid.

A big mutated hornet is just plain out of place... Otherwise it's a really strange virus indeed. Turning humans and animals into zombies, except the hornet. It just mutates into a giant variant?

I always looked at the hornet as a placeholder... Which it did turn out to be.

I can...

An acid spitting zombie is not out of place with the theme. The sound may not be perfect, but the idea is solid.

A big mutated hornet is just plain out of place... Otherwise it's a really strange virus indeed. Turning humans and animals into zombies, except the hornet. It just mutates into a giant variant?

I always looked at the hornet as a placeholder... Which it did turn out to be.

As for the bee, as I mentioned earlier, I definitely agree. However, personally, I am not particularly happy with the way enemies were implemented. I was in favor of special zombies before any of them were put into the game, but the current state of enemies kind of look like they have come out of a cartoon/arcade game.

For example, all cops mutating into acid sniping bloated zombies, all girls in white dresses and black long hair mutating into screamers etc, makes even less sense than the virus mutating a single species into a giant variant. The acid spitting mechanic is more of a cliche gimmick to make up for the lack of ranged attacks which are needed to counter the imperfect AI. I wouldn't mind as much if the acid spit was more like a realistic vomit (as far as physics are concerned). But then again, I am against dogs/wolves/bears/vultures etc as long as they are used as mechanics to make up for the lack of ways for zombies to threaten the player. Wouldn't mind as much if they were less prevalent. Varied combat challenges can come in other more realistic ways imo, like the random zombie behavior faatal is at last working on.

I hope that in the future enemies are - like UMA zombies - dynamically textured so that any kind of enemy can spawn with a specific mutation.

I would be ok with mutated animals only in special biomes. Make radiation biomes walkable unless you are wearing an special suit to protect from it, this will make this biome very dangerous and interesting because there will be speciall valuable items that only spawn there.

I would be ok with mutated animals only in special biomes. Make radiation biomes walkable unless you are wearing an special suit to protect from it, this will make this biome very dangerous and interesting because there will be speciall valuable items that only spawn there.

That would be cool. The radiation biome could be a super hazardous place to go with all kinds of mutant animals and zombies and radiation hazards, but it would also be a place to go for hard to get metals and such.

The radiation biome would be a dash and grab type place.

Radiation suits would only block radiation for a limited time, and when you take damage there are chances to tear the radiation suit, further decreasing your ability to stay in the area.

- P

That would be cool. The radiation biome could be a super hazardous place to go with all kinds of mutant animals and zombies and radiation hazards, but it would also be a place to go for hard to get metals and such.

Radiation suits would only block radiation for a limited time, and when you take damage there are chances to tear the radiation suit, further decreasing your ability to stay in the area.

- P

I love this idea. Again, perhaps the hornets could JUST be in the radiation zone, along with a bunch of other extremely hostile enemies.

I do like the idea with the vultures, because them becoming zombie-esque makes sense seeing as how they would eat on infected flesh, kinda like the birds from Resident Evil Extinction.

Zombie cops would be better if they were able to fire their service weapons at you, and have some cops with their tactical gear still on so they take more damage to go down.

Lumberjack zombies should use their axes to attack you.

I do like the idea with the vultures, because them becoming zombie-esque makes sense seeing as how they would eat on infected flesh, kinda like the birds from Resident Evil Extinction.

Zombie cops would be better if they were able to fire their service weapons at you, and have some cops with their tactical gear still on so they take more damage to go down.

Lumberjack zombies should use their axes to attack you.

I would love to see more practical variation of zombies types and activity. Right now, they are pretty much all the same, but with variations on health, sound, and 3D models. There are some fun variations (spider-zombie, flame zombie, cop, radiation, football player), but they aren't very common, and the devs could do a ton more with a second pass on zombies.

The hornet as a single non-zombified but mutated animal made not much sense setting wise. I'm open for all kinds of setting, be it strict zombie, STALKER-like, Fallout-like or whatever.

But the setting needs to have some consistence so for me its either a whole range of mutated species or none at all.

The zombiefied predator animals (including the flesh-eating vultures) alongside the non-zombified herbivores make a lot of sense to me and I'd rather have their range expanded.

- P

Yes, that was what I always envisioned. The radiation biome would be a special biome, the harshest one, and you can stay there for a limited amount of time as your radiation suit is taking damage. There artists could go nuts with special mutated enemies that only appear there, and of course very valuable and unique items there too would appear.

Archived