A17 How Long Would You Wait For A Pre-Generated Map to Build?

SylenThunder

A17 How Long Would You Wait For A Pre-Generated Map to Build?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. A17 How Long Would You Wait For A Pre-Generated Map to Build?

• 8k x 8k 5-10 minutes
    • 10k x 10k 8-16 minutes
    • 12k x 12k 12-23 minutes
    • 16k x 16k 20-40 minutes
    • 17.73k x 17.73k 25-50 minutes
    • 20k x 20k 32-63 minutes
    • I don't care if it takes all day.

OR we could NOT play on smaller maps and completly ruin everything multiplayer related

I don't know if you play multiplayer... if you know (or have read the comments) that large maps are an absolute must in multiplayer

I'm glad they managed a solution for both of us, but I feel the need to chime in and say I'm really excited for smaller maps for pvp because even with 20-30 people, 16k was just too large to reliably come into contact with other players and find bases to raid. sometimes it would take literal days until I would be able to stumble upon a base worth raiding. so I for one was looking forward to small maps for multiplayer

The depth of editing that can be done to a randomly generated map after the fact now is awesome. You can change player spawns, move POIs, add new pois, add new roads, remove roads, edit the height map, etc. All things in rwg are accessible in the world folder just like with nav.

I wouldn't take away the ability to have large maps, that's something I also love. RWG is my baby after all. Don't panic and rest well in the fact that you won't be hard limited to 8k and that I've actually added more moddability with this change. ;)

I see this and it makes me think 'Custom Maps'. Heck, maybe even a trip to Mars. :)

You guys are awesome keep it up.

Well I'm not speaking for the developers on this one but if you think of the difference between how a road would need to be generated on a chunk-by-chunk generate-as-you-go basis versus how they might be generated say, after major cities have been generated first, you have much more control over the way said roads might be generated (and also towns and everything else). I can imagine many advantages to how such a system might generate more realistic and reliably believable road systems. Probably less problems with roads randomly ending or erupting in a sheer cliff for example.

Also it sounds like the whole system managed to decouple the idea that roads essentially generate towns, and now it's almost the other way around. Decoupling the idea that the roads dictate where the towns land would allow a developer the ability to add roads at any point.

I don't know if this was asked already because I didn't read every post.

@Kinyajuu

Is the engine for the RWG capable of using all CPU cores available at 100% capacity or close to it because the guys with monster CPU's would have a huge advantage when generating a world in that case.

Assuming that it does then if your CPU is a 8+ core intel or Ryzen/Threadripper you should have no trouble generating the map and it should only take a few minutes.

Considering the current CPU landscape with intel and Ryzen/Threadripper 8+ cores being available to the mainstream at reasonable prices this will be a non issue very soon.

My Intel i9 7900X should shred the RWG in mere minutes.

The biggest issue with determining size of map **for the group i play with** in A16 is once we've built an impregnible base on one part of the map -- to keep the game from getting stale -- we'd move to another space a good distance away and start all over. However, imho, if the zeds get worked/coded to being an actual threat, making no base "safe", then the need to move (other than having some place to work/craft thats closer to where we're exploring - if we're far from main base) is diminished.

**an after thought** for those that play with loot respawn = never, playin a small map (random gen'd) sounds like game over sooner

Imagine a map generator that takes data from openstreetmap and just generates any part of the world. Mmmh, anyone here with knowledge of both those data formats? :smile-new:

So whatever the conclusion of this will be - would it be too much trouble to let us pick a size before generating? :p

Kinjahuu said this is already in EDIT: well, not exactly in as in "in", see Rolands reply. :miserable:

Kinjahuu said this is already in

He said it’s already in if you change a variable in the xmls before generating the map. He said a drop down menu with different sizes in the options is already planned. “Planned” doesn’t necessarily mean A17.

Just wanted to clarify before expectations got too high.

I think there schould be a controller in the settings where users can choose what size the map will be. Additionally there schould be a Hint how long it approximately take to create the map. So every user could decide how long he is willing to wait.

Kinyajuu, would it be possible to share a small snippet of the new xml from the rwg to demonstrate how one would adjust the size of the map? Also interested in an answer about the cores for generation. I have a rack server I self host from, dual xeon x5690's. 2 vm's one linux and one windows (for full mods) both have 6 core each. I could up these significantly during map generation to speed up the process, if core usage affects generation. Thanks for your hard work! Gotta have my big maps, esp with vehicles.

The depth of editing that can be done to a randomly generated map after the fact now is awesome. You can change player spawns, move POIs, add new pois, add new roads, remove roads, edit the height map, etc. All things in rwg are accessible in the world folder just like with nav

I have been DYING for this. Spending weeks as an admin building community bridges over vast bodies of water is a pain. You ROCK SIR!

How about a separate program just for creating random worlds

If it’s going to take hours, then I’d rather one of my laptops or 2nd comp do the processing so I can do other things, instead of just waiting

Random Gen is now a World Map Generator, it's not ran during game time. You are quite simply generating a randomized Navezgane like map then it's automatically loaded up. At that point it's no different than Navezgane.

It is separate from the game. It will be more like what the map generator that we have now is but instead of generating a map to preview the world you will be generating the world itself. So you could set it to generating on one computer and do something else on another computer. At the end of the generating you don't spawn into the world and start playing. Instead a random map named for a county other than Navezgane will appear in a list of maps with Navezgane. So instead of choosing either Navezgane or RGW in the options menu you will now select from a list of named maps that will be faux counties of Arizona. Eventually you could have a dozen or more different maps to choose from limited only by your storage capacity.

Starting a new game in random gen and generating a random gen map have been the same process, but in A17 they will be separate processes.

Archived