Hmm guess it’s hurry up and wait for Alpha 17

crazy8s

not to go off topic, but what do you see in empyrion? i bought it because i was specifically because i was bored waiting for 7days (3 months ago) and i wanted to play a survival crafting game. i had zero fun. do not understand what people see in that game.

oh but to keep things on topic. um...kenshi released the same year as 7days and is quickly approaching 1.0 (likely before the stable alpha 17 is patched up).

so all of your arguments are invalid. because apples ARE oranges and the comparison is 100% proof that i am right and you are wrong.

also i love how people use the initial ea release date vs the release of a previous installment in a series as the date at which development started when comparing ea game development time to a major publisher development time. because no. that isn't when development started.

I'm surprised to find that I've liked Empyrion less with every major update. It seems too clunky and obnoxious for a game that has been in development for so long. A shame because I do(did) like some aspects of it along the way.

LOL I work in the development department for a software company and we are absolutely held accountable to our development timelines. Who holds us accountable? Mainly our stockholders who literally own the company. We're not publicly traded either so changes in majority ownership are slim. Our stockholders are also customers of ours so they have more skin in the game.

LOL I work in the development department for a software company and we are absolutely held accountable to our development timelines. Who holds us accountable? Mainly our stockholders who literally own the company. We're not publicly traded either so changes in majority ownership are slim. Our stockholders are also customers of ours so they have more skin in the game.

Yeah but see customers in the gaming industry are just supposed to sit down and shut up, so I'm constantly being told

Yeah but see customers in the gaming industry are just supposed to sit down and shut up, so I'm constantly being told

No, what you're supposed to do is actaully read that Early Access terms and conditions when you bought an Early Access game. I know right, actually read what you're signing up to!

Shocking as that might be, what your purchase got you was the game as it stood at the moment of your purchase. Anything else was gravy.

You're supposed to understand and accept that risk (but not like it) when buying an early access game.

This doesn't mean it would be ethical or moral for TFP to have abandoned the game, but since they've worked diligently on it just about every day since A1 through to now, cutting them just a little slack wouldn't be too outrageous either.

If TFP were abandoning the game, I could understand of the vitriol being thrown their way, but all that is happening is an exceptionally long delay to a single alpha in a game that's had 16 such alpha releases to date, at least in part, due to a major code re-write brought on by an engine update. And for that, TFP cop negative feedback (which I respect and protect as a moderator here and on Steam) but also bucketloads of absolutely puerile abuse which I'm very happy to say I get to ban people for.

In any industry, I would promote not talking about what you don't know.

They need to start releasing patches every 6 months tops. Maybe every 3. Whatever is done and tested goes in. Anything that is not yet ready goes in the next patch after. It can be done. We know it can be done. Lots of other companies with less staff manage to do this. The only reason it is not being done is either a lack of will or a disregard for customer wishes

Do all companies do things the same way? Does one development cycle fit for every project? Do you really know that it is only one of the two reasons you listed?

If the answer to those questions is "no" (hint: that is the answer to those questions), then maybe don't go spouting off your ignorance. You can, but you'll just look like an idiot and frustrate people who don't appreciate you wearing your ignorance like a badge.

What I really wish TFP would stop doing is announcing these new Alphas as soon as they release the previous version knowing "darn" well it's nowhere close to being done ( ie over a year later)

All the servers I played on are ghost towns because A17 was "close"... Back in February... April... July... now September.

If you have your eye set on a new car, but are being told the 2018(A17)model is coming and it's going to be AWESOME not many people are going to waste their time looking at the 2017(A16 servers) model.

I have over 4000 multiplayer hours of this game so I consider myself " in the trenches" .

What I really wish TFP would stop doing is announcing these new Alphas as soon as they release the previous version knowing "darn" well it's nowhere close to being done ( ie over a year later)

All the servers I played on are ghost towns because A17 was "close"... Back in February... April... July... now September.

If you have your eye set on a new car, but are being told the 2018(A17)model is coming and it's going to be AWESOME not many people are going to waste their time looking at the 2017(A16 servers) model.

I have over 4000 multiplayer hours of this game so I consider myself " in the trenches" .

I have to admit I'm one of those people contributing to ghost town servers. I stopped playing because I thought Alpha 17 was coming soon but now I have no Idea when it will come. At this point I'll probably just keep waiting since I've already waited all this time and have plenty of other games to play.

I'm a software developer by trade, so maybe you shouldn't talk about what YOU don't know.

Did I say that you aren't in the industry? Did I say that being in the industry would somehow give you magical knowledge about what's going on with TFP and what is best for them?

Again, the answer to those things is "no." Unless you are on the inside with TFP, you don't know anything about what's going on with their system or what would be better for them.

Yeah. I would have figured MadMole would have learned from his mistakes in the past regarding giving away release dates.

He gets excited and wants to deliver good news that will make people happy. The devs want us to get A17 and see our reactions to it.

Unfortunately, he was wrong about his estimate.

He gets excited and wants to deliver good news that will make people happy. The devs want us to get A17 and see our reactions to it.

Unfortunately, he was wrong about his estimate.

Which is completely understandable. If it was the first time he made this mistake.

But this happened, like, 3-4 times before?

I know a lot of people cant wait for A17, I happen to be one of them. But come on people, its gonna be out as soon as the devs deem it ready. And you all are going to play, despite some statements that TFP are loosing players to this.

Thanks to the internet today we get a chance to play a game before its released, that was not possible 15+ years ago, so just enjoy the game (if need be from time to time) and be happy. Plenty of games out there to kill the time till next Alpha.

Roland, I have a feeling you are explaining to a wall, as it seems most are not understanding (or want to understand) what you are saying.

People are lacking mayor patience and that seems to be more and more so as years go on. And its almost impossible to please the crowds who dont know anything about proper developemnt (and not only in gaming industry, everywhere all are experts even tho they never done anything like that what they are talking about)

I'm sure it's been said before....

There is always a lull before the next release.

Why?

Because people are in some strange mindeset that continuing to play and build is a waste of time because they are going to have to wipe it when a17 hits. They don't even realize that they want to wait for stable which won't come earlier than 3-4 weeks after experimental drops.

There's also the instant-gratification internet raised apocalypse. Which is most likely the cause of the zombie explosion. Too lazy to learn how to do anything, and stuck living life with their face in a screen. I can see it now. 20 years from now there's a major event that basically nukes all technology, and mankind has forgotten how to think for itself. :strawberry:

I'm sure it's been said before....

There is always a lull before the next release.

Why?

Because people are in some strange mindeset that continuing to play and build is a waste of time because they are going to have to wipe it when a17 hits. They don't even realize that they want to wait for stable which won't come earlier than 3-4 weeks after experimental drops.

There's also the instant-gratification internet raised apocalypse. Which is most likely the cause of the zombie explosion. Too lazy to learn how to do anything, and stuck living life with their face in a screen. I can see it now. 20 years from now there's a major event that basically nukes all technology, and mankind has forgotten how to think for itself. :strawberry:

I was walking through the forest near my house the other day and was thinking the same thing. My generation (age 24) grew up pampered and lazy. I wouldn't be able to survive in a world without technology or easily accessible food. It seems that so many people are taking life for granted and growing to believe that the world around them owes them something. In the case where society falls apart and technology dies, I don't think very many folks would be able to survive.

I was walking through the forest near my house the other day and was thinking the same thing. My generation (age 24) grew up pampered and lazy. I wouldn't be able to survive in a world without technology or easily accessible food. It seems that so many people are taking life for granted and growing to believe that the world around them owes them something. In the case where society falls apart and technology dies, I don't think very many folks would be able to survive.

Step 1: Go buy the Boy Scout Handbook today... it will help to save your life when society falls (theres other books too but this one is VERY helpful)

Archived