What's with the barbed and spiked clubs?

Dimpy

I think that it would make more sense if the axes and pickaxes weren't craftable and did more damage, at least to stunned zombies. Those tools have large moments of inertia and sharpness focused at the point of contact, so from a physics standpoint they would be more destructive. However, it's easier to miss with them, they don't do as much damage with glancing blows, and they are slower, which means their effectiveness multiplier for actively moving/dodging/blocking opponents.

Because they are the best and strongest version. Nothing wrong with getting lucky and once in a blue moon having it on day 2-- but to be able to have it every time you play by day 2 makes all the lesser clubs meaningless and lowers the replay value of the game because your pathway will always be the same. Why would you craft a reinforced iron club or keep one that you found when you know that you'll have the best club in the game in no time at all?

IF the club wasn't necessarily better against all enemies but had a bonus vs particular enemies as TSBX was suggesting then there might be a case for being able to get it on Day 2. But that isn't what it is. It is the Level 4 club and it is a bit ridiculous to expect game designers who purposely put in Level 1-3 clubs to then make a sure fire way to bypass all those levels and go straight to the top.

You want concrete and steel on Day 2 so you can just skip all the wood and cobblestone...?

Maybe you do...and that is exactly what modding is for. If you hate playing with junky crap and just want to start the game out with the best stuff then mod it to be that way and have the kind of fun the vanilla game can't provide.

I'm questioning the idea that clubs are a superior melee weapon. I love using "junky crap", and I think that the metal modded clubs should be like that too. I'd like them to be the weapon that I put together from scavenged parts on a building surrounded by zombies because my high-quality weapon broke and I need to improvise.

Here's how I would do the club system to make them balanced:

Wood club: Easy to make, doesn't need any metal

Iron reinforced club: Does most blunt damage, has highest durability.

Barbed club: Does similar blunt damage and has similar durability to wood club, also does some sharp damage. The barbs wear out pretty fast and need to be repaired often to keep the sharp damage.

Spiked club: Lowest durability(spikes interfere with structural intergrity), costs more metal than the Iron reinforced and Barbed, but sharp damage is increased a lot, and the spikes don't wear down.

Here's how I would do the club system to make them balanced:

Wood club: Easy to make, doesn't need any metal

Iron reinforced club: Does most blunt damage, has highest durability.

Barbed club: Does similar blunt damage and has similar durability to wood club, also does some sharp damage. The barbs wear out pretty fast and need to be repaired often to keep the sharp damage.

Spiked club: Lowest durability(spikes interfere with structural intergrity), costs more metal than the Iron reinforced and Barbed, but sharp damage is increased a lot, and the spikes don't wear down.

Gazz would have to answer questions regarding different damage types: blunt, piercing, slashing, etc. I don't know how much specialization vs how much abstraction they are going to support with damage. But I like your ideas. I'm not against lateral differentiation between the melee weapons instead of the mostly vertical power progression. I still don't think they should all just be craftable from the beginning. I like random chance and the adaptation I have to do because of it.

I was one of those who liked the forge book.

Gazz would have to answer questions regarding different damage types: blunt, piercing, slashing, etc. I don't know how much specialization vs how much abstraction they are going to support with damage. But I like your ideas. I'm not against lateral differentiation between the melee weapons instead of the mostly vertical power progression. I still don't think they should all just be craftable from the beginning. I like random chance and the adaptation I have to do because of it.

I was one of those who liked the forge book.

Once again we agree on something. The forge book could be frustrating but it often forced you into difficult situations (No metal tools on day 7 or 14 besides what you found).

....must.....not.....edit....Rolands.....post....about....liking.....forge......book...... /arrgghghhhghgh ;-)

I wasn't a fan of the forge book (as may be obvious now - hehe). The problem with the forge book was always this: it gated something so fundamental to the game, that the book HAD to be relatively easy to find (yes, it might be fun to be without a forge on day 7, or even day 14, but day 70? no thanks). Therefore, there just didn't seem much point in having it at all to me.

Books for mods, I'm all good with, since there's nothing they're gating that is more or less nearly essential to play. Even though the gating is purely artificial, I don't mind it because I couldn't care less about realism (literally), and I enjoy the hunt for the books.

Roland,

maybe devs need to make two versions of the mods of spikes and barbed wire?

Modification of handwork

- you can create it

- A club does great damage

- The club with the mod is very fragile and breaks down after 25 strokes

Quality Mod

- you can not create it

- you can find it in world or buy it from traiders

- The club with the mod is very strong and does not break very long ...

Roland,

maybe devs need to make two versions of the mods of spikes and barbed wire?

Modification of handwork

- you can create it

- The club with the mod is very fragile and breaks down after 25 strokes

Quality Mod

- you can not create it

- you can find it in world or buy it from traiders

- The club with the mod is very strong and does not break very long ...

Fully metal version of the spiked club?

Archived