[06/06] Message from the Team

Clare

According to the original post of this thread, the unity update will allow better optimization, helping to track down some persistent bugs (hopefully for our poor xbox brothers & sisters) and to add more features from A15 & A16. Its purely a guess from us as to what all we'll see. It sure is exciting though.

Anyway, welcome to 7 Days to Die WAR1LOCK. Glad to have you aboard with this amazing game!!

Alright, thank you !

I still hope we at least get:

1. New zombie types/skins

2. New poi's

3. Distant rendering for poi's

4. Paint

5. Larger Maps

6. Compound Bow

Aything after that is just bonus to me. Obviously most important is optimization but thats more for xbox players. Luckily im on ps4 & dont experience those problems. Hate it for you guys & gals that you all have a much different experience.

For me it is absolutely not necessary to have larger Maps. I nearly never explore the whole world map and as long some biomes are more attractive than others, there is no reason to extend map size. Especially having a giant wasteland biome you have to cross after spawning is nothing we would like to see.

But I totally agree with you that we really need the new zombie types because this would be the biggest leap to get the strategy bck into the game. Right now it is not a real challenge to hold off the hordes as long as it takes a million years for coos and feral wights to spawn. It would be a very helpful feature (which probably is easy to implement) to set the share of spwaning enemy types manually. Who likes to play the game the hard way, who likes to get his base totally destroyed if not fortified enough, should be able to let spawn more irradiated cops instead of common crawlers.

I see your point on the map size but id still like to have it. Especially if we get all the new poi's & the new socket system for the towns to not all spawn in square shapes & also the distant poi.

However if we dont get that, larger maps would pretty much be useless.

Ive actually never uncovered an entire map either. Come close on my 1st map which was navezgane.

If new POIs and the new town shape system is coming I am with you. But I think it should be implemented along with the new motorbike which needs to be fast to keep balance between map size and the amount of travel time.

Along that, it would be very cool to set the game stage to start with manually. Who needs a challenge can have hard hordes right from the beginning.

Not going to say they will not do something different for console but most likely anything they do add will be what the vanilla PC version has. So I doubt console will have any settings as to making the horde night as to what you are describing. They do have a increase of zombies that you can change for this but if you have it maxed out doesn't mean the first one you get maxed out. It kinda has a balance system built into it depending on what level you are how long since you have died and such. But either just having them put that part on console would be nice.

As far a bigger maps for console I don't feel they need to do it. Even with the new town layout and such. They can still do what they need to do with the way the map size is. Keeping it the size it is will make it so they can do more with the game as well. If they can make it bigger and still do just as much then so be it I will not complain. I just don't see the need for it with the way console is set up and such.

Good points. Hell im just excited for whatever we get. Im taking a brief brake from 7dtd to play god of war. But soon as the update drops....im back in.

Cant wait to see what we get & what unity 2017 can do for consoles.

That I agree with but been playing all kinds of games. I will jump on the console when the update hits but will be a mixture of this and red dead redemption 2. Got a feeling the update will be out around that time give or take lol. Oh and the new spider man game looking promising.

It would be nice if we could get a little more transparency with these update posts.

I think for the most part everyone assumed there would eventually be some substantive update before year-end.

Also, since I'm not a game dev, "they're working on upgrading to Unity 2017" doesn't mean much to me. I know you said they'd be able to port some PC features. Cool. Which ones?

I think your console users would have more faith in TFP if they could offer us 1/1,000,000 of the info they constantly offer PC players about upcoming updates.

I don't think people would be nearly as frustrated if you told them: here's what we would like to try to port to console at this time--we make no guarantees.

People might be bummed if they don't get some stuff you told them they might, but they won't feel nearly so abandoned.

Ummm, honestly? No one but the console development/porting team really knows what the update will bring for the game. It's a waiting game at this point to be frank. Expectations seem to be rather high, which isn't inherently good or bad in and of itself, but I have strong doubts this engine upgrade is going to see much improvement in graphics quality.

Why don't they fill us in on that then?

Why don't they fill us in on that then?

As I do not work for TFP, TT, or IG, beats the hell out of me. However, I could make a few suppositions if you'd like. Which you will find below if you are interested. Fair warning though, some of my reasoning might seem insulting to the developers. That's not the intent however, they are included for the sake of speculation not as fact or accusation.

REASONS DEVELOPERS CAN'T OR WON'T FILL US IN

1. They aren't sure themselves.

As far as I know(and I could be wrong) Unity is still a relatively new game engine platform for consoles, so it's entirely possible the developers themselves aren't exactly sure what they will and/or will not be able to do/add even with the updated engine. Given the limitations of the consoles as being barely above basic spec requirements this seems like a viable reason. Granted they could just come out and say as much, but that's another topic entirely. The point is, they might not be sure themselves beyond what it allows for bug fixes and don't want to get peoples hopes to high. Personally, I think this is the most likely reason. Which is why I started with it.

2. They are just incompetent.

Maybe the developers are incompetent at game design or porting the game, or both. I'm not sure I'd buy this one considering how many new survival genre games have been popping up. The genre was rare and extremely poorly done before 7 Days to Die came to consoles. Arguably showing other developers there is a market for the genre. Though, none of them have created an entirely destructive environment like 7 Days to Die has with its voxel style as far as I know. Which speaks volumes about their competence, both the original developers and the team responsible for the console port. So seems highly unlikely to be a viable reason.

3. They are just donkeyholes.

It's possible, though unlikely in my opinion, that the developers just don't care and are major donkeyholes. This argument is made often, and repeatedly, by many people. Including yourself, Kilgore. Personally, I have my doubts for this one based on the efforts and time put in trying to improve the console experience. As I've stated before on these forums, given the fact that the console version was released as a finished product based on the Alpha 14 version of the PC game the developers are under no obligation to inlude more content. They could have just stuck with fixing the bugs that could be fixed and left it at that. They didn't, choosing instead to add new content, optimization, even updating the engine as we see coming sooner or later. That alone leads me to believe this possible reason is highly unlikely. I could be wrong, I admit, but I seriously doubt it based on the evidence I have seen.

Anyway, there are my three primary reasons why the developers might not be sharing the exact details of what an updated engine will bring. As I state above, I personally think the reason is number 1. They just aren't sure themselves what can and can't be added. Given the things I know thus far, such as console limitations, that seems the most viable explanation to me.

When you log into here it brings you a screen that as which version pc or console for console info choose console this form is pc i wish people would stop asking about console on the pc forums.

That's incorrect. You are in the console forum. I'm sorry it's such an inconvenience to you that there exists a forum for console players.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a 4.: Not allowed to.

The publisher who pays for development gets to decide what announcements are made when.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That seems like a middle finger from TFP to console users when they go so far out of their way to show off every new idea they have to PC players.

When you log into here it brings you a screen that as which version pc or console for console info choose console this form is pc i wish people would stop asking about console on the pc forums.

"this form is pc"

This IS the console section worf3k. Why don't you try sticking to the PC boards instead of coming to the console section to tell people what to do. Given you apparently can't tell the difference yourself it semms likely you've been reading console section posts thinking they are in the PC section. That's entirely on you.

"i wish people would stop asking about console on the pc forums."

I find it funny, and a bit ironic, that you are telling console players to stay off the PC forums on the CONSOLE forums and claiming this thread is for the PC. You are guilty of exactly what you're accusing console players of genius. Maybe you should take your own advice, huh?

There is also a 4.: Not allowed to.

The publisher who pays for development gets to decide what announcements are made when.

Very true. I forgot about that one. Although, the fact you even bothered to respond at all lends some credense to my "they are not just donkholes who don't care" view. :)

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That seems like a middle finger from TFP to console users when they go so far out of their way to show off every new idea they have to PC players.

No, gonna have to disagree with you there. Which you likely expected. TFP are responsible for the PC version being developed. Them updating their primary audience isn't a middle finger to anyone. If it seems like it to you, that's entirely on you and how you choose to see it, no? I mean, the two versions have seperate sections and TFP isn't posting their ideas for PC in the console sections. Meaning, to see what their new ideas are you have to go looking in the PC section for them.

No, gonna have to disagree with you there. Which you likely expected. TFP are responsible for the PC version being developed. Them updating their primary audience isn't a middle finger to anyone. If it seems like it to you, that's entirely on you and how you choose to see it, no? I mean, the two versions have seperate sections and TFP isn't posting their ideas for PC in the console sections. Meaning, to see what their new ideas are you have to go looking in the PC section for them.

Right...TT and IG put a gun in the face of Madmole and demanded, "You let us do a ♥♥♥♥ty port of your game or else!"

Is that not what happened?

If TT and IG didn't force TFP to let them port the game at gunpoint, TFP ought to have a vested interest in what happens with their IP. Their detached "not our problem" attitude is naive and unprofessional.

"this form is pc"

This IS the console section worf3k. Why don't you try sticking to the PC boards instead of coming to the console section to tell people what to do. Given you apparently can't tell the difference yourself it semms likely you've been reading console section posts thinking they are in the PC section. That's entirely on you.

"i wish people would stop asking about console on the pc forums."

I find it funny, and a bit ironic, that you are telling console players to stay off the PC forums on the CONSOLE forums and claiming this thread is for the PC. You are guilty of exactly what you're accusing console players of genius. Maybe you should take your own advice, huh?

9 out 10 times someone post from the PC section to console is that when they log on into the site from a PC they click on latest post and most of the time not paying attention that it is console or PC. They see part of the title that might be similar to a topic in PC and then click and post. I would about put money on it that is what happened here just a mix up on the topic and where they was posting. I really doubt he scrolled down to the console section and clicked and posted. Anyway it has happened several times and probably will happen again lol.

Right...TT and IG put a gun in the face of Madmole and demanded, "You let us do a ♥♥♥♥ty port of your game or else!"

Is that not what happened?

If TT and IG didn't force TFP to let them port the game at gunpoint, TFP ought to have a vested interest in what happens with their IP. Their detached "not our problem" attitude is naive and unprofessional.

Let's see if I can put this in the right way. TFP have no control over the console updates. I have no clue what legal papers they did and such but what we do know is they don't deal with console. They will try and help here on the forums and such if able but other then that the only thing they do is send over files and let the console team handle it.

Based on the info given to us the only thing we know is TT seen a game that they thought was good enough to be a finished game when PC was in A14. So TT reached out to TFP and they worked out whatever they worked out. TFP main goal is to work on the PC version and finish the game they started. So TT got IG to handle the porting for console so TFP can focus on the goal they started and the people that invested in it wouldn't feel abandoned.

So pretty much that is the way it is give or take. We have no clue what 100% was in the deal they made and signed and we will never know it isn't nobody business what deals they make behind closed doors. All we have to know is TT is the publisher for console and they have IG handle they ports for console. It is up to them to release info and such for console not TFP as they only send the files over to the TT and IG. The reason why TT and IG don't share information well it could be 100s of reasons. When it comes down to it well you accept it or not either way it isn't going to change.

9 out 10 times someone post from the PC section to console is that when they log on into the site from a PC they click on latest post and most of the time not paying attention that it is console or PC. They see part of the title that might be similar to a topic in PC and then click and post. I would about put money on it that is what happened here just a mix up on the topic and where they was posting. I really doubt he scrolled down to the console section and clicked and posted. Anyway it has happened several times and probably will happen again lol.

I know that's likely what happened. I just find it stupid when people try to chastise other people for doing something they themselves did.

**This message will also be added to the original post to prevent info being lost**

Hi all,

A player voiced concern that it does not look like I read this thread. It is also going off topic so I wanted to clear some things up before we get back on track.

I do keep up to date with the News and Announcements threads, daily as much as I can after initial release, and after that I catch up every few days. If I have new information to share it will be given a new post. I will not give new information in the body of a post where is could get lost (handy timing to answer your question Vegasdrm2020). As with all posts in this section, all the information I have is contained in the original post, I do not have further details beyond that. When I do have information on a potential release date, what could be contained in the patch etc there will be a new Message from the Team post.

I do however, read all that is posted and pass feedback to the team when required.

Any issues you have that you want troubleshooting assistance on should be posted in the Console Bug Reports section. I will not chase bugs here.

To clarify, so we can get back on topic...

The Fun Pimps are the creators of the game, they work on the PC version of the game and pass items for porting to the console team when they are deemed finished or ready. On occasion they help to collaborate on a bug fix for something that may exist on PC also (this also works in reverse as console has helped PC in the past)

Iron Galaxy are porting the game to console.

Telltale Publishing (Telltale Games) are the publishers of the game.

Any new information passed to me from TT is posted in the News and Announcements section of the forums. I understand that some players can get frustrated that PC receive more regular information and it can look like Console is abandoned. This is not the case, console is not abandoned, when there is more information to share, I will share it immediately.

All support for console is being run from the Console Bug Reports section and as a reminder here is the description of my role - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?61911-04-21-Title-Change-and-Clare-ification

Archived