[06/06] Message from the Team

Clare

Thanks, Im just hoping that Consoles at least get a Compound Bow, Vehicles/MotorCycle, Electricity, Paint and maybe a Helicopter. Then it would be perfect

I'm not expecting any new vehicles being added to the consoles, even after this update. That's a lot of resources and materials that will need to be added or adjusted and that would likely entail removing some that already exist. I'd be happy just seeing the compound bow, some electricity based things, and the ability to paint.

I also think expectations for consoles are a little high. People see the videos of the PC version and think, "That's so cool, why don't we have that!?" to themselves. Failing to realize that consoles are not the same as PCs in processing power, memory, or customization options. Which is one of the reasons I think so many people get so heated when console doesn't live up to what they've seen. But that's just a theory on my part, based on responses I have seen.

Thanks!

As always thanks for keeping us updated. This is great Info that I will share with my YouTube community.

Hi all,

Below is a message from the Console Team on the update they're currently working on.

Clare

--------------

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on the next update for 7 Days to Die on console. While the release is still scheduled for later this year, we wanted to give you an update on what's to come.

As many of you have already guessed, we are currently in the process of upgrading the game engine to Unity 2017. This is something we’ve been working towards for quite a while and we’re thrilled to finally be able to share the news with you.

But what does this mean for the game and for you, the players? Upgrading to Unity 2017 means we can fix some of the more persistent bugs in the game, as well as add features from A15 and A16 on PC.

Thank you again for your continuing patience and support. We'll be in touch soon with more information about which features and improvements you can look forward to in Patch 14, which will launch alongside the engine upgrade.

The 7DTD Console Team

------------

I'm not expecting any new vehicles being added to the consoles, even after this update. That's a lot of resources and materials that will need to be added or adjusted and that would likely entail removing some that already exist. I'd be happy just seeing the compound bow, some electricity based things, and the ability to paint.

I also think expectations for consoles are a little high. People see the videos of the PC version and think, "That's so cool, why don't we have that!?" to themselves. Failing to realize that consoles are not the same as PCs in processing power, memory, or customization options. Which is one of the reasons I think so many people get so heated when console doesn't live up to what they've seen. But that's just a theory on my part, based on responses I have seen.

I agree with pretty much with everything you said, but I could see a bicycle possibly being added.

I can't ever see a gyrocopter coming to Console.

It will be interesting to see how much the new Unity Engine will change things and if that will finally allow them to optimize everything properly.

I agree with pretty much with everything you said, but I could see a bicycle possibly being added.

I can't ever see a gyrocopter coming to Console.

It will be interesting to see how much the new Unity Engine will change things and if that will finally allow them to optimize everything properly.

The unity upgrades are key. once it is up to 2018 + it'll have multicore support which will make the load a lot lighter on console units and allow for more data to be streamed on the same hardware. Vox games have always suffered on console due to lack of memory and processor capability. Minecraft was the worst, corruptions galore.

Best case scenario (in my opinion): we get electrical systems / traps, paint, & maybe some updated building blocks/advanced rotation. That's it. I wouldn't expect to see any new vehicles or zombies, but you never know.

The last confirmed info that i know of as to where console will end up is that joel said they would try to get the console version as close to the gold pc version as possible.

The problem with a staement like, "As close to the gold PC version as possible." is that it is ambiguous. That's not Joel's fault though, I don't want people thinking this is an accusation of some sort. It's not. It's just that we can see the changes the PC version has gone through since 7DtD was released on consoles. And we already know the consoles can't keep up.

The idea of the consoles being as close to PC final release is comforting, until you realize there is every possibilty that the statement about the console being closest to a final PC release as possible could be applied to right now. Theoretically speaking. I'm not saying that's the case, far from it. I'm just saying don't let expectations get to high, because if people do they'll only be disappointed. Especially if the closest the console can get is little more of an improvement than what we have now.

Who said consoles cant keep up? Certainly not the devs or tt. So, to base anything off of what random joe said is not validated in any way. They keep updating, and continue to add. Understandably there are trying to only add certain completed features because....you know, it costs money to port new updates for free.

And i think the reason joel left his statement, "ambiguous", is the simple reason that, the game wasnt, and its still not done. And while they have a roadmap to full release, until its released it is constantly changing. Its very hard to make a broad statement like, we will add everything, before you even know what everything is.

So, until they are done updating i think its unfair to speculate what they will and wont do. The only actual evidence we have is the devs have said, would add as much as possible to mimic the final pc release version. They seem very devoted to the game and the community. Im sure they will do their best to acheive that. They havent done anything to the contrary.

Who said consoles cant keep up? Certainly not the devs or tt. So, to base anything off of what random joe said is not validated in any way. They keep updating, and continue to add. Understandably there are trying to only add certain completed features because....you know, it costs money to port new updates for free.

And i think the reason joel left his statement, "ambiguous", is the simple reason that, the game wasnt, and its still not done. And while they have a roadmap to full release, until its released it is constantly changing. Its very hard to make a broad statement like, we will add everything, before you even know what everything is.

So, until they are done updating i think its unfair to speculate what they will and wont do. The only actual evidence we have is the devs have said, would add as much as possible to mimic the final pc release version. They seem very devoted to the game and the community. Im sure they will do their best to acheive that. They havent done anything to the contrary.

Not to step on your bed of roses or anything, but there is actual hard data supporting this. It's not something "some random Joe" says. It's actually backed up by reality with research and numbered specifications. Console hardware sucks even when compared to PC hardware that is even from the same year the console was released. It sucks even harder when you compare it to the hardware the original game is designed to run on.

For more specific information, read this thread.

I will support fully SylenThunder post, as consoles are static hardware.

As the time goes on, the devs have greater and better tools (aka Unity 2017 for exemple), but on consoles they have to work with a mid-grade 2013 hardware specs.

On PC, it is easy for devs, they just have to ask for more RAM, CPU, or whatever else (do you have what it takes ?)

--> It is to the player responsibility (and spending) to keep up his PC up to date. There is no additional spending for the devs.

On consoles, players can upgrade NOTHING.

--> So, with more resources demanding devs kits, the pressure is on devs to really optimize their game (aka costs more time and money for the devs, costs nothing for the player) so it fits into a several years old spec.

My personal point of view : It's a shame consoles players cannot even add a few RAM upgrades as most Mac or laptop users can.

On the other hand, it is logical, as please remember that consoles are ALL designed and made by corporations : Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony are all corporations. And the corporate way of life is "are you authorized to ... ?"

I imagine we’ll get certain things from a16, I’m doubt we’ll be full a16 but we’ll have to see. I imagine we won’t be seeing a17 stuff for a very long time if ever, depends on how it plays out on the pc. We are limited unfortunately on console, I’d just be happy for optimisations and no more corrupted saves.

Less bluescreens would also be nice, which should happen with more optimisations. I’m hoping theyre taking their time to make it run as smoothly as they can, I think most people would just be happy to play without the thought of the game crashing and the save going to crap. Either way I’m excited to see what’s coming.

Yeah, I am happy with new updates. I just hate to see consoles left out, and the false rift of what platform to use, get bigger.

Who said consoles cant keep up?

How about... oh I don't know... every computer expert on the planet? Without exception, every professional in the compter technology industry will tell you that a console system can't keep up with PCs for two primary reasons. The first is quality of parts. A PC that has equivalent specs to consoles is prone to overheating, just as consoles are. The second is upgrade-ability. The PS4, for instance, still runs on at least 5 year old technology. Compare that with a 5 year old PC with upgraded RAM, graphics cards, etc. there is no comparison.

Not to mention the blatantly obvious fact that to upgrade a console means creating new specs and releasing a new console. Why do you think you have to buy a PS4 pro or XBOX ONE X in order to get even a moderate hardware update? You can't just go and buy the upgraded hardware, you have to buy an entirely new system.

I have been a console gamer for over 3 decades, this is a well known and accepted fact by any console player who actually has done even the most cursory of research. Always has been, always will be.

He left it ambiguous because consoles can't keep up with PCs, period. As I stated above, the console can't keep up with PC due in part to upgrade-ability. Joel knows they will never be able to offer on consoles everything they can on PC. It's right there in the statement itself.

"Joel said they would try to get the console version AS CLOSE to the gold PC version AS POSSIBLE."

If consoles could keep up with PCs then Joel wouldn't have had to say they would TRY to get it as close as they possibly could. They'd just be able to make console have whatever features the PC has if consoles were on par with PCs, because consoles would be able to handle it regardless of final features. They can't, so Joel couldn't in good conscience claim that it would have all the same features.

The game is not done, and is still being optimized, cleaned up, fixing old issues, just look at the pc updates for 17. They are changing a bunch of old issues that were slowing the game down. Who know besides them what and how this will affect and or boost performace. And i understand the console technically has a limit and a capacity, and yes, its possible some things wont work, but its also possible they are able to make certain concessions to make other stuff work. Just saying its not really fair to say console cant handle, xyz, when there are so many things that they could do, and are clearly continuing to work on.

Also, i dont think any computer experts on the planet, except the fun pimps and tt, are working on this game and understand exactly how it works. Of course a console has limits, this is also a game that is older, not yet fully optized, and not finished. And certaintly no one but them has any idea how it will be running when its finished.

I think its funny how when 7days first came out on console and some people kept saying "oh no we're never getting a15 stuff its a "finished game, console cant handle a15 and that’s all we're getting blah blah.... Well sure enough we got a15 stuff...Now its happening all over again with people saying console cant handle this game or it will never have enough ram blah blah...Well now we are getting a unity upgrade and alpha 16 features coming...LOL!

While yes its very likely we wont get everything from pc, I do think that we're going to get more content than what people realize when its all said and done. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sneak in some small A17 content to be honest. :) I hope we can get the new random gen map system with the way towns are set up and such and a few new zombies. Looking forward to the content we do get. :)

Okay, kinda important question here needing clarifying - I have my current version of seven days (xbox one) on disc; how will the unity update effect that - will I be able to just install the os update like any other update, or will I have to replace the disc for one with the unity version? and if I just need to install update, will I need to fully reinstall to prevent data corruption/ lost packets?

I think its funny how when 7days first came out on console and some people kept saying "oh no we're never getting a15 stuff its a "finished game, console cant handle a15 and that’s all we're getting blah blah.... Well sure enough we got a15 stuff...Now its happening all over again with people saying console cant handle this game or it will never have enough ram blah blah...Well now we are getting a unity upgrade and alpha 16 features coming...LOL!

If you think my posts were suggesting we won't get any of the Alpha releases, that's what you chose to read into it. At no point do I say, nor have I ever said we won't get those versions. My reference to the current editon possibly being all we get was a worst case example of how the "as close as possible" ambiguity could apply even now.

While yes its very likely we wont get everything from pc, I do think that we're going to get more content than what people realize when its all said and done. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sneak in some small A17 content to be honest. :) I hope we can get the new random gen map system with the way towns are set up and such and a few new zombies. Looking forward to the content we do get. :)

That was my bleedin' point! How in Hades did you miss that? You brought up A15 coming to console, I want to thank you for that. It illustrates my point exactly. Even though console got most of A15's and some of A16's content it didn't get all of it, did it? No. Why? Becase the console couldn't handle it all, while the PC could.

Look, my responce has been for the sole purpose of addressing the idea that because Joel said their goal is to have the console be as close to the PC gold release as possible, it means the console will be on par with the PC release. That will not be the case. Due to hardware limitations on the consoles will never be on par with the PC version, period. And anyone who thinks it will be is deluding themselves. Setting themselves up for disappointment, frustration, and anger.

We've already seen signs of this in the past. XBOX MD5 errors, differences in graphics quality, missing POIs and buildings, missing or limited items, etc. I'm just saying keep expectations reasonable, don't let statement(s) with needed ambiguity make your expectations too high. Or we'll have more situations where people are pissy because they expected too much. That's all.

Really mjs101104 you are so immature causing drama on a forum you can not just let it go.. seriously just stop I am suprised that they do not even block comments like yours. You are starting with people that didn’t say anything to you before. In the other statement which was really unesscessary bull ♥♥♥♥ that no one cares about. Like this is a forum about us getting an update for console and they are able to make it so that it would be supported on our console. They even said they would fix the bugs and stuff and release more stuff because they are upgrading to unity 7. Like are you serious back off. No one asked for you two sense in this it is quite annoying that everyone like you is ruining the forums with your negativity and bs about console can’t support 7 days to Die. Like who cares. Keep your comments to yourself. Plain and simple

Okay, kinda important question here needing clarifying - I have my current version of seven days (xbox one) on disc; how will the unity update effect that - will I be able to just install the os update like any other update, or will I have to replace the disc for one with the unity version? and if I just need to install update, will I need to fully reinstall to prevent data corruption/ lost packets?

My 2 cents here is that it will just handle the update like any other update to a game.

So you will never need a new physical copy of the game, unless it is '7 days to die 2' they are planning to release.

Really mjs101104 you are so immature causing drama on a forum you can not just let it go.. seriously just stop I am suprised that they do not even block comments like yours. You are starting with people that didn’t say anything to you before. In the other statement which was really unesscessary bull ♥♥♥♥ that no one cares about. Like this is a forum about us getting an update for console and they are able to make it so that it would be supported on our console. They even said they would fix the bugs and stuff and release more stuff because they are upgrading to unity 7. Like are you serious back off. No one asked for you two sense in this it is quite annoying that everyone like you is ruining the forums with your negativity and bs about console can’t support 7 days to Die. Like who cares. Keep your comments to yourself. Plain and simple

In case you missed this, this is a forum... people discuss things and even give their own opinions about things that may or may not collide with your own opinions.

If the guy was totally making no sense, he still can express his opinion... but tbh, he is right about the limitations of the console.

If you fanboys can't handle criticism, just don't read or reply to this.

As with previous updates, it should just update the version you have installed on your console. No need to buy another copy.

My whole point was its not fair to say we are not getting things, with no information saying this. Will the game be different on pc and console, yep. For sure. Can the console handle it? Impossible to say if you aren't developing/porting the game. Is console behind in updates. Yup. By design. Why would they port incomplete features? This is especially difficult to do, and much more so on a game still in development. Personally i'm estatic we got any updates at all before the gold pc version. Shows alot about the companies involved.

Second and probabally a large factor in all of this is that console has splitscreen, where pc does not. That means they also have to factor in how this is affected. Thats 2x the computing power on pc at any given time.

Whole point is, lets judge what they did/are doing after its done. Not based on speculation and unknown information.

If you think my posts were suggesting we won't get any of the Alpha releases, that's what you chose to read into it. At no point do I say, nor have I ever said we won't get those versions. My reference to the current editon possibly being all we get was a worst case example of how the "as close as possible" ambiguity could apply even now.

That was my bleedin' point! How in Hades did you miss that? You brought up A15 coming to console, I want to thank you for that. It illustrates my point exactly. Even though console got most of A15's and some of A16's content it didn't get all of it, did it? No. Why? Becase the console couldn't handle it all, while the PC could.

Look, my responce has been for the sole purpose of addressing the idea that because Joel said their goal is to have the console be as close to the PC gold release as possible, it means the console will be on par with the PC release. That will not be the case. Due to hardware limitations on the consoles will never be on par with the PC version, period. And anyone who thinks it will be is deluding themselves. Setting themselves up for disappointment, frustration, and anger.

We've already seen signs of this in the past. XBOX MD5 errors, differences in graphics quality, missing POIs and buildings, missing or limited items, etc. I'm just saying keep expectations reasonable, don't let statement(s) with needed ambiguity make your expectations too high. Or we'll have more situations where people are pissy because they expected too much. That's all.

For your ambiguous information I was just expressing my own 2 cents...It had nothing to do with you. :) Speculate all you want too, we know the console is moving forward with new upgrades and Joel made some comments about consoles getting as close to gold as possible... That’s all that really matters my ambiguous friend. :)

Let's not argue and get back on topic. I am excited for the engine upgrade recently another game I play got an engine upgrade and that was Friday the 13th the game that game used to run so laggy back in January this year the engine got upgraded in May and I just launched the game a few days ago and the game runs a lot smoother. Now I know that Friday the 13th and 7 days to die are completely different games. And the way Claire has said we will be getting more content from alpha 15 and other features from alpha 16 this could mean that we can finally get the electricity system with blade traps and wire tools. I have a friend that messes around with unity and says that Unity 2017 was actually a pretty good upgrade for the engine. My guess whenever 7 Days to Die gets this update later this year the game will be a lot darker but run a lot smoother the water will look ten times better and more realistic. I seen some people talking in an old thread saying that even the upgrade would not do much for this game but honestly upgrading an engine is quite a big deal when it comes to videogames. The reason the update is taking so long is because they got to recode the entire game everything in the game will be changed in this upgrade takes place. The new zombies one more than likely come and Patch 14 along with the engine upgrade. Thank you Claire for the information

Archived