Unimportant A17 feature: The HP Bar!

fragtzack

Unimportant A17 feature: The HP Bar!  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Unimportant A17 feature: The HP Bar!

• It should be completely removed from the code. It represents bad game design.
    • It should stay and be hard coded in. It represents superior game design.
    • It should be commented out but remain in code so those who want it can try it.
    • It should stay but be able to be toggled in the options menu.
    • It should stay but take a different form
    • It should stay but only appear after an enemy is damaged
    • It should be removed for all but bosses and regens
    • It should stay AND the game should become turn-based. Go action points!
    • It and everything else should go. Invisible HUD FTW
    • It should stay but only show if you buy it as a perk.

Completely disagree. This game is so inconsistent in regards to combat. It's hard to tell when hits register and how much damage they do. This will allow players to register feedback from combat experience and understand their weapons better. It seems like more of a bandaid fix at the moment for the reasons that I just mentioned. It may go away eventually when the devs find a better, in-world way to display damage.

I believe the best way to accomplish this is to make zombies ALWAYS stumble when you hit them anywhere. Dismemberment should also be far more common. These of course won't affect the zombie's total health, but give players visual feedback to the combat.

But hey, you can always press F7 to disable the HUD if you want immersion.

Enemy hp bar is a welcome feature to the game. I like realism too but I don't live and die by it. We don't sleep or poop. A sprained leg don't heal in a day. If you sprain or break your leg alone in a survival situation, you die. I could go on but i think you get the point. Realism is not an excuse to hate the hp bar. Although I can see immersion being a good reason to dislike it.

Now I don't want people to have to use it. If people hate it then I think it should be optional. He'll, even I don't want to use it all the time, like horde night's.

Enemy HP bar is not important an almost any game play fantasy.

The enemy HP bar is an abomination in regards to challenging and immersive game play.

Enemy HP bar = whack a mole mode.

Completely agree. It is counter-intuitive and takes away a LOT away from gameplay making it more predictable, boring and the combat will become like a whack-a-mole game. Plus it makes even less sense in a zombie game. I don't know what the developers are thinking.

It seems like more of a bandaid fix at the moment for the reasons that I just mentioned. It may go away eventually when the devs find a better, in-world way to display damage.

Dismemberment should also be far more common. These of course won't affect the zombie's total health, but give players visual feedback to the combat.

Agree, it is a bandaid fix and visual indicators would be far better.

But hey, you can always press F7 to disable the HUD if you want immersion.

/facepalm

This is one of the things that imo, even as an option, will be detrimental to this game.

afaik the HP-bar was initially designed with boss-type enemies in mind. on them, I see it to be a very neat idea.

if it stays on all enemies I also believe that it is just missplaced in this game. totally breaking immersion for me (but hey, that's just my opinion).

I'm totally gonna get rid of it. I read somewhere that it may become toggle-able (is that even a word?! :D) in the options, so players who dislike it can simply switch it off. if not that, I expect it to be an easy xml-fix.

so everyone is bound to get what he/she wants here :)

I had to create an account on forums just to tell that I love these HP bars and I want them to stay forever.

I have over 1k hours and this is exactly what I needed since I don't like zombie games that are completley realistic, this is just a bonus quality of life improvement for me.

Just make it a toggle option or something...no need to completley remove it later.

The current hp bar in the video LOOKS like a temp thing, just a quick and dirty popup for testing.

Something more polished would be there if it was intended to be in the game (and not so bloody big)

I do like the idea of being able to have them with a perk though. Get skilled enough, and you can tell

how much the zombie has left, and the hp it started with.

As a skill, it's then your choice to have, or not have.

Right out the gate though? nawww.

Please no HP bar or allow it to be switched off.

I'll mod it out if need be...

I mod my game for headshot kills only so the bar makes even less sense for me personally, but I like to understand my weapon accuracy and damage the old fashioned way: shoot the zed and see what happens.

I know it was this was a hybrid game, however if this is truly a RPG then the health bar is a staple of the genre. I've always thought the absence of a hp bar was ridiculous.

Currently I can see how healthy the rocks and trees are around the base, because they tell me when I hit them.

Unfortunately there is no telling how effective a weapon is against an enemy until the blighter drops dead, sort of redundant information by then.

My favorite idea is still to add the HP bar as a perk, so those who want it can get it and those who don't never have to see it. But IMO there needs to be a lot of refinement on when it shows up so it doesn't become effectively a scope for spotting zombies in the dark, sleepers, etc.

My favorite idea is still to add the HP bar as a perk, so those who want it can get it and those who don't never have to see it. But IMO there needs to be a lot of refinement on when it shows up so it doesn't become effectively a scope for spotting zombies in the dark, sleepers, etc.

Dang! That was MY idea and I didn't even include it in the poll. I'll add it and give it two votes for you and me.

I'd prefer visual effects or combat effects over an HP bar.

You hit the head? <> Zombie gets dazed for a short period + extra damage

You blast the leg with a shotgun? <> Leg gets blown of instantly

You shoot dead centre? <>Zombie doesn't get hurt.

You smack him with a sledgehammer? <>Zombie parts get squashed to bits.

The only problem I can see with it staying but only showing after an enemy is damaged is the Desert Biome. With all the cacti we'll have to rename the biome to The Red Bar Zone...

Hopefully they just up and make zombies and animals immune to cacti already. It's silly right now.

I'm not going to vote on this one until I have used it. Just to hard to say without experience.

You may not get that chance. This poll is about whether you think it should be kept at some level or tossed before anyone must be afflicted with it... ;)

Archived