Can't run game in Windows XP x64 since Jan 2018.

ReyZie93

When I try to run 7DTD in 64-bit mode it says "The Steam client is not running or no connection possible?". There is no "Offline" button in menu, only "Retry" or "Quit".

I don't know what to do, I was playing this game on Windows XP x64 since alpha 12 and it was fine till now.

Sadly, you are probably out of luck on that extremely out-dated OS. Almost no one supports XP anymore because it's not able to support new security measures. Steam has only partially supported it for several years now, and it would not surprise me if they have now dropped it completely.

It's way past time to get a Win 7 license key. (Although to be honest, mainstream support for that ended in 2015, and extended support is set to end in 2020.)

Not to mention that the vast majority of boxes running XP don't really have the cpu and/or memory and/or gpu to run 7D2D well anyhow.

I have a Windows 2000 VM that I keep handy because of some old reference software, but even an old die-hard XP lover like me has finally left XP behind. My old laptop that came with XP now runs Linux (much faster than XP ever was).

Time to upgrade....

Not to mention that the vast majority of boxes running XP don't really have the cpu and/or memory and/or gpu to run 7D2D well anyhow.

I have a Windows 2000 VM that I keep handy because of some old reference software, but even an old die-hard XP lover like me has finally left XP behind. My old laptop that came with XP now runs Linux (much faster than XP ever was).

Time to upgrade....

I have i7-2600K, 12 Gb RAM and GeForce GTX960 2 Gb. But I have some old devices that don't work with Vista+.

I don't understand why 7dtd didn't work anymore, I even tried to downgrade to A15, but I still get same message.

I have i7-2600K, 12 Gb RAM and GeForce GTX960 2 Gb. But I have some old devices that don't work with Vista+.

I don't understand why 7dtd didn't work anymore, I even tried to downgrade to A15, but I still get same message.

Is Steam showing as online? I thought they pulled the plug on XP and would not even let steam startup anymore?

My guess is that a recent update to Steam changed something that 7D2D uses to tell if Steam is running or not. Something the OS provides that is not found in XP. Because of that, 7D2D thinks your steam client is offline, and it won't start when that happens. Do any other games in Steam have the same problem?

I used XP64 for years. Some of the drivers were a bit flaky, but overall it worked well. From there I moved to Linux, as I really didn't like Windows 7, and I didn't like were Microsoft was going with Windows. If you are of a technical mindset, you might consider giving Linux a shot. A lot of old hardware that doesn't work anymore in Windows still works just fine with Linux. My old USB dongles, my old webcams, any old this-or-that hardware, most work well in Linux long after Microsoft has abandoned them. I converted years ago, and never looked back. I don't miss Windows, and there is nothing I do today with my computer that LInux can't do. I'm a software engineer, and I'm on my computers all day, ever day. And they all run Linux - for gaming, for office work, for web/database/app servers. Linux does it all.

A world with Microsoft is a beautiful place....

- - - Updated - - -

And the latest Tomb Raider game was just released for Linux. It is lightning fast, it is stable, and it is gorgeous....

Archived