Remote Delivery System

Shiek4d5

With the Random World Gen being virtually infinate (depending on server memory space) I believe we would need a way to send someone a supply drop. I was thinking of a system that used the same type of delivery like the airdrops. 1st Way: We create a secure or unsecure crate, we place whatever items in it, exit the inventory menu, hold the E key for the prompt, select an icon for a delivery reciepent, type in the player's name that we want to send it to and close out of that, then select the icon to launch the crate. The crate would disappear then reappear out of a plane over the player's location. 2nd Way: Everything the same except instead of typing in the player's name and having the game do all the calculations to find that player, we enter a coordinate and the plane drops the crate over that location. This way the one sending the crate will have to do most of the work finding out the coords that they need to send it to and the programmers only need to make a seperate code for a different plane. 3rd Way: Both of the previous options are added. We would be able to send it to a specific player or to a designated spot. There could also be a wait period between launches so there isn't a stream of planes across the sky making the game lag. I am thinking an hour game time is plenty of time, it could be more though.

[QUOTE=Shiek4d5;139309]With the Random World Gen being virtually infinate (depending on server memory space) I believe we would need a way to send someone a supply drop. I was thinking of a system that used the same type of delivery like the airdrops. 1st Way: We create a secure or unsecure crate, we place whatever items in it, exit the inventory menu, hold the E key for the prompt, select an icon for a delivery reciepent, type in the player's name that we want to send it to and close out of that, then select the icon to launch the crate. The crate would disappear then reappear out of a plane over the player's location. 2nd Way: Everything the same except instead of typing in the player's name and having the game do all the calculations to find that player, we enter a coordinate and the plane drops the crate over that location. This way the one sending the crate will have to do most of the work finding out the coords that they need to send it to and the programmers only need to make a seperate code for a different plane. 3rd Way: Both of the previous options are added. We would be able to send it to a specific player or to a designated spot. There could also be a wait period between launches so there isn't a stream of planes across the sky making the game lag. I am thinking an hour game time is plenty of time, it could be more though.[/QUOTE] Not a fan of this idea, but it could be done. Have a strong enough cable and a helium/hydrogen balloon, the balloon lifts the cable up into the air high enough for a plane with catch poles to grab and drop at destination. Crate would also need a parachute and player would need comms to summon plane. Footnote. Pack the crate well, the lurch into the air and drop to the ground will break fragile items.

[QUOTE=Omega;139333]Not a fan of this idea, but it could be done. Have a strong enough cable and a helium/hydrogen balloon, the balloon lifts the cable up into the air high enough for a plane with catch poles to grab and drop at destination. Crate would also need a parachute and player would need comms to summon plane. Footnote. Pack the crate well, the lurch into the air and drop to the ground will break fragile items.[/QUOTE] I was not being realistic but simple. It does not need packing bubble wrap, the airdrops do not have bubble wrap. I was brainstorming like a developer would by making shortcuts. They do not need to make an animation for the crate lifting off or being tied to a balloon.

I like the idea very much. If there is a airdrop pending for you, you shouls get a message saying what its containing ans be able to set the drop-point of your chosing on the recieving end. Would be a great option for trading if currency is not implemented and even if it is.. In a trading scenario tho both parties must be able to recieve the message and the trade not being done before both accept the trade conditions. This would be similar to a swapmarket idea i had in a currency post. A great way of doing it in a destructable open world with no real possibility of a stationary marketplace.

[QUOTE=Omega;139333]Not a fan of this idea, but it could be done. Have a strong enough cable and a helium/hydrogen balloon, the balloon lifts the cable up into the air high enough for a plane with catch poles to grab and drop at destination. Crate would also need a parachute and player would need comms to summon plane. Footnote. Pack the crate well, the lurch into the air and drop to the ground will break fragile items.[/QUOTE] Although, a Hot Air Balloon would work as an alternative to the drop plane. But that other stuff is not "needed" it would be too much work to make it that realistic.

[QUOTE=LarsingeM;139407]I like the idea very much. If there is a airdrop pending for you, you shouls get a message saying what its containing ans be able to set the drop-point of your chosing on the recieving end. Would be a great option for trading if currency is not implemented and even if it is.. In a trading scenario tho both parties must be able to recieve the message and the trade not being done before both accept the trade conditions. This would be similar to a swapmarket idea i had in a currency post. A great way of doing it in a destructable open world with no real possibility of a stationary marketplace.[/QUOTE] Yeah, my thoughts too. It would be rare to meet up with other players if they live 5,000 blocks apart, that is why this kind of delivery system would be necessary for trade or supplies. We can use the Chat window to agree to the items and amounts and transport them to the other players. Of course it shouldn't be free, it should cost resources to make the crate not necessarily the balloon or plane. We could also make the crate of different and stronger material to hinder the ability of it being picked up by someone else.

Archived