Announcing Modkit, universal visual modding tool in development–

ZzZombo

Hello. I'm about to launch my Patreon campaign for Modkit: universal visual modding kit. 7DtD is a game not like others I've played in my life. I holds a special place in my heart. I'm an avid modder, and mod all games I liked, even if to make something silly for a minute laugh. Now, I know what modding currently isn't officially supported, but nonetheless, it's quite actively done by members of the community, and still, I believe that all games, including 7DtD, would benefit from a tool such as the subject of the topic.

There is a short excerpt from my campaign description:

What modding should be like:

• Have a single universal tool for different games, available on as many platforms and devices as possible.
  • Game data editing must be done via a nice graphical user interface rather than mundane text files, or cryptic scripts you have learn to code and put in just the right place to make the whole thing work, thus making modding widely accessible to casual level folks who have not learnt any programming in their entire life. Even if the most they achieve is make a monster shoot rockets out of its ass with the speed of a minigun, I don't care, as long as it's fun for them and anybody else.
  • It should be fairly easy to distribute/find published mods for modders/players via a catalog. Players should be easily informed about a new version of mods they play, and leave feedback.
  • Modders should be able to form teams in order to work on modifications together, discussing things among them.

Let me reiterate on the second point: modding should be absolutely accessible to everyone, w/o you having to read a book first, programming or not. Anybody should be able to just fire up an editing tool, click here and there, save, launch the game and see their changes in game. Modding is really fun if you get to see how your modifications influence the game, and open a lot of possibilities, so why should somebody who doesn't have the skills to code or read/edit raw game data miss on that?

From time to time on many forums dedicated to games I like I hear "you can do/change it yourself", except the other person doesn't feel like getting into editing scripts and other game data, because, eh, it seems scary, hard, and probably won't even achieve the desired effect if he does it himself, anyway.

Modkit can let any average player become modder w/o delving deep into the arcane magic of programming languages, XML and such. It is supposed to be available to everyone both by lowering the entry level and making it available on as many platforms and devices as possible. The word "universal" in the title is because I'm aiming at making it support a wide assortment of games. For now I planned (G)ZDoom, 7 Days to Die and Dota 2. Patrons will be able to suggest and vote on games to add support to Modkit.

I'm announcing it here, because the ability to customize the game has to offer is one of the best I've come across, and it's a shame many players who could really benefit from adapting the game to themselves, like, say, turning off spider zombies, but making vultures a very common sight, don't necessarily know what, where, and how exactly to change. If you share my views, and have a spare buck, join me now by pledging. If you pledge $5 or more by the end of April, you will be able to suggest 7DtD as the primary game to focus on at the project launch!

And to clear any doubt, I have already some progress with it. Paying me will allow me to speed up the progress, goes without saying. Check out the campaign page https://www.patreon.com/ZzZombo soon in order to see a showcase of visual editing a game (goes live within a day, if all goes as planned).

If you are still reading and wonder what Patreon is

Patreon is a membership platform that makes it easy for creators to get paid. Patreon is a way to join a creator for things you love to see, and pay him for them.

Having been down this road before (making modding tools) I think you will find it completely impossible to make something coherent that works for ZDoom and 7days and Dota2

Maybe it's just me, but asking for money before you have anything to show just seems a bit off.

I've seen your 30 sec vid you linked on the zdoom forum and all it has was an interface that would take about an hour to program, if that.

I somehow doubt you will get anyone signing up just yet.

What progress? Can you show?

Cheers

-edit-

* money back if you dont deliver?

* how does paying speed up the progress? You gonna quit the day job?

I'm going live riiight now...

Done! Check https://www.patreon.com/ZzZombo out! It should answer your questions!

EDIT: Money back? I didn't actually think much about it, either the project gets traction, and I am going to deliver, or not, and then it's only proper to refund, I think. But in case if I get money, and then for some reason can't deliver, I can only return what was not spent, I'm afraid.

I think you will find it completely impossible to make something coherent that works for ZDoom and 7days and Dota2

I haven't been able to reply to you specifically back then, so I am doing it now. I have plans for tomorrow to put a new video on my Patreon showcasing how alike editing, say, a block in 7DtD, and a unit in Dota 2 is.

I haven't been able to reply to you specifically back then, so I am doing it now. I have plans for tomorrow to put a new video on my Patreon showcasing how alike editing, say, a block in 7DtD, and a unit in Dota 2 is.

That covers one of the most basic files, but how about a complex one like Xui or rwgmixer?

But even with the blocks one you will have to deal with validating the available properties based on the class of the block, and then validate the values entered for those properties. Then you have to cross reference all the values to make sure they don't cause an NRE.

Then each update of the game all those can change.

There are a huge number of moving parts and I really don't think you have considered a lot of the issues you will face trying to make something that works with 7 days alone, never mind all the other games you want to add.

I'd suggest start small, like say a recipe editor. Most casual/novice modders will probably only want that and block/item editor.

Also, the plan to have modders make changes on a web client, then download the changes will discourage almost all of your target audience. Been there, done that, learnt my lesson.

Archived