XBOX One Crashes Everytime

Chad.thome

Hello devs,

My wife and I play this a lot. Without fail the game crashes every 3 to 5 hours.

We have a friend who plays on ps4 and never has that issue.

I was wondering if because we have one of the 2 XBOX Ones (1 is home xbox and other is shared) we do this so that the 2nd XBOX One can use content on it from my purchases.

Is this a possible cause for crashes because 2 xbox's are sharing content, but playing at same time?

Thanks in advance for insight.

Hi Chad.thome,

I am not too familiar with the rules on XB1, but I imagine if you are not being kicked immediately and playing online then it is not due to shared content.

There is a stability issue on XB1 that causes regular crashes, most players report it at about 50 mins, so I would hazzard a guess that you have not changed much in your map / uncovered much / gone past day 60.

Before the game crashes - do you see a menu flicker / not display correctly? Or does the weather go to extremes and animals stop spawning?

These are the common indicators that the crash I mentioned above is about to happen. At this point I would recommend hard resetting the consoles and clearing the cache (unplugging the console for 5 mins) while not ideal this can reset the buildup that causes the crash and also help avoid MD5 errors which can occur as a result of the crash (areas reverting to their day one state)

If the above triggers do not sound familiar, please elaborate on what is happening when you crash - are there any common areas / actions involved when you crash?

Please also confirm if you crash (game / console freeze, sound distorting etc requiring a reset) or if you are simply booted the game menu / XB1 dashboard?

Thank you,

Clare

Hello Clare,

Most if the time the crash is about every 3 to 6 hours.

90 percent of the time we do get the menus that don't pull up to alert us it's coming.

The other 10 percent it is an instant drop and it goes back to home screen when you first turn xbox on.

I seen in a previous post you have instituted analytics for md5 problems, but not sure if those apply to pc, ps4 or xbox.

Hi Chad.thome,

Thank you for those details.

The analytics system that was added to track the MD5 error for the team was added to the PS4 and XB1 version. While PC sometimes sees something similar to an MD5 error, I do not know if it is the same issue. The Console Team and PC team are separate, I do not know if the PC team added something similar to their own analytics for it.

Clare

The MD5 analytics can tell us an MD5 has occurred and some of the clues that surround how it was triggered. It doesn't tell us what players saw when it occurred or exact details of what they were doing at the time as far as I am aware.

While all information for the MD5 errors is valuable and we appreciate all that is submitted to us to as your game crashed and the MD5 error followed, a brief outline should suffice rather than listing all of your settings.

Clare

XBOX ONE Crashes Everytime

Its never the same time that it crashes.

It does it every 3 to 6 hours. Random Gen map, highest setting of zombies, no God or cheat mode, no mods, it usually flickers or menus won't pull up or buttons no longer do their assigned functions for controller, day 30, only modded 2 houses in one town then the main huge city mod 2 more buildings, just break trash piles and go after normal supply needs.

It just seems that because the game has so much to calculate that it can't handle it after so long it ends up being like a garbage overflowing and it stops.

Hi Chad.thome,

Thank you for that info.

Do you notice if the crash happens more often after a particular set of tasks - looks of exploring over wide (especially new) areas? / Within a certain area like one of the modified areas? (would there be a large amount of lights in these buildings?)

I believe cache build up is something the team are investigating as a cache clearing of a console if there's a crash indicator seems to work for a lot of players.

Clare

We usually break stairs in existing building break anything zombies can jump up on and clear a 6 square section around house of vegetation to see crawlers easier.

We only have about 4 torches at most in building.

It seems that exploring new unexplored areas is most of when it happens unexpectedly.

Hi Chad.thome,

Thank you for that info. As most of your crashes are occurring after new unexplored areas (and from other info you've given me) I do believe the crashes you are experiencing are the same crashes that the team are aware of and are working on - whether it is by increasing stability or by means or both.

Clare

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been talking about the xbox crash for over a year now and gave tons of info. Its still happening. I actually stoppedposting due to no progress made with the timed x box crash. Im here today cause i was curious to see if any progress was made unfortunately no progress seems to be made. It now seems that single player mode now effected i belive it has something to do with the amount of map discovered and the way xbox saves. Im actually 99% positive this is the issue. So please claire lets get this fixed so i can stream this game and stop having to explain all these problems to my viewers and your potential customers

Hi gelobledo,

I continue to ask for information from various players so I can pass it onto the team as some players have this occur under different circumstances. Collecting information from everyone who reports it is the best way to get a scope of the effects, the different potential triggers and then to share information and workarounds back to players as best I can.

I understand for players, like yourself, who have reported information in the past it may be irritating to see me ask the same questions and give similar responses. The reason I always give the same answers is because at the moment those are the answers I have while the team works on this issue. If the team ask for different information or information about more workarounds to help players while they work becomes apparent, then the questions and answers will evolve, as they have done so in the past.

Both the team and myself know this is a very disheartening and down right frustrating issue for all players who are effected by it.

I am the messenger between the community and the teams, and while I can pass information back and forth I do not know the intricate details of the fixes the teams are working. I do however know that they are not giving up on the issue with crashes and the resulting MD5 errors that often come with then.

While I cannot give you a timeline for a fix and I understand for players who are effected by the crashes every time they play this may not be of huge comfort, but I can say that the team are continuing to work on the game and fix the issues that are so disruptive to players and on the new update they have mentioned in the message in News and Announcements.

Clare

• 2 weeks later...

Clarie played yesterday offline mp. Was able to get 2 and a half hour play with no crash. I have a mini bike and did not use at all. Other day when playing single player it crashed after two hours this was after i made mini bike at begining of play and used to travel around faster. On my other online mp that crashed i also used mini bikes. And this kinda makes sense cause before i thought the xbox crashes were due to map percentage explored and auto saves. Now i feel like maybe its due to mini bike causing this issue cause game has to load everything faster. Idk what do you think. I will try to test this more. And also is there a way to turn off auto save on xbox this would also help me test the auto save causing crash theory

Hi gelobledo,

I'm afraid there is no way to turn off autosave on console.

Your Minibike theory is interesting, one of the reasons the minibike was slowed down on console was because it was too fast for the map, players could wait on the edge of a loaded chunk waiting for the next to load (or even drive off the map entirely before that was introduced). It's possible now the loading and uncovering of the map at a fast enough pace is causing whatever causes crashes to build up faster.

Archived