Broken Sleepers & Screamers

ianlee74

On our multiplayer server (randomgen) we're currently on about day 140. A while back we had a power outage that caused the server to crash. After that we had several problems including corrupted user profile and stuck forges. We were able to work through all those and thought things were good. However, some time after that we started noticing that many towns had no zombies inside buildings. My guess is that in towns that were discovered prior to the crash that those are the ones that have the problem since we do have some towns that have "working" zombie sleepers. Any ideas on how to fix the broken towns?

Also, on a similar note... I just built a new coliseum type base similar to what Z-Nation FFS built in his videos. Prior to dropping out the dirt/rock in the center of the pit, I would have regular screamers when I ran my forges. However, after opening up the pit (and welcoming the screamers!) they stopped coming. If I look at the console log, I can see lines such as this where screamers are trying to spawn but can no longer seem to figure out where to go...

AIDirector: Scout spawning failed. FindHordeTargets() returned false!

I'm only about 6 blocks below the surface most of the time and it didn't used to be a problem for them to locate me. Any ideas how to fix this? I was looking forward to doing some dancing with the gals in the fighting pit :D

Thanks!

Ian

yeah, if it gets shut down without a proper save, that will happen. The .map files in those regions are corrupted. If you have any player-built structures in these regions, they will be lost, so be careful. Locate the region files that are having the issues, shutdown the server, then delete the problem files. Then when you visit those areas, they will be regenerated fresh and that will fix the issue.

As for the screamers, it falls under a similar issue. If you keep regular backups, restore the backup files from just before the crash. If you don't have regular backups, it's time to set a cron job to perform one. Mine runs once every 2 hours, and I keep the last 50 versions.

That's what I was afraid of. How do I go about determining the map file for a given city? We do have some cities with player built structures in them but I may try and fix some of the others.

I do have backups running on a regular schedule. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the screamer problem was a thing until several days after. I don't think anyone would be too happy about me restoring that backup just to fix my screamers. So, I guess we'll just live in peace and quiet until a17 is released or we get bored and do a reset prior.

Thanks!

Ian

Archived