What crafting/work -stations do you think would fit the game?

toores

They guys who play with mods will probably have tons of ideas. But mainly i'd like to hear what stations you feel would fit the vanilla game without having to go to extreme lengths to rework the game.

And for simplicity, i'm considering everything that produces something that you can't craft in you backpack, a "staton". (campfire for example) Ideas for resource collectors are also welcome.

Some ideas i've picked up here and there:

birdhouse - feathers

chicken coop - feathers/eggs/meat (feed it seeds to keep its "health" up and resources coming)

water collector - rainwater

Chicken/hare trap

concrete mixing tub - for manual operation with shovel (the cement mixer should require electricity)

tanning rack

electric stove

weapons worbench

compost pile/case

vehicle repair shop

My short response:

I don't have a short response, see below. :p

My long-winded response:

For anything animal related to work they'd first have to make them persistent. I think domesticating animals, or at least penning them and allowing them to breed in a confined area, is a good direction to go in. However, too many other mechanics of the game would make that unrealistic. I can think of reasons to want this and reasons not to want it, though. It really just depends on what is the main focus of survival: player versus environment (weather, living off the land, that sort of thing) or player versus hostile entities (zombies, bandits, hostile animals, etc.). It could be both but A16 is definitely more about the hostile entities because environmental problems are at best trivial to circumvent.

As for the other crafting stuff, it again comes down to which direction the game is headed in the long run. Are we reinventing the world using old and new resources or are we bringing the world back to some semblance of where it was before the zombies? The former is a focus on new construction and new ideas (reinventing the wheel) where the latter is all about maintaining what is there (repairing until over and over again). So far it seems to be much more of the latter than the former.

All that aside, I'd much prefer that they have workstations that you add tools to and then have recipes that require tools. So you have a workbench that you can add tools to (hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, awls, manual drills, etc.) and then have each recipe require the presence of specific tools to make. The quality and presence of some tools could affect the quality of the products made. They have the start to this already.

So in my world view more workstations wouldn't likely be needed since you can already add to what they have nearly infinitely (so adding more tools would be better). Add more tools to the workbench to allow you to build things there and the same for the chemistry station. Forges should become metalworking stations where you add a forge, anvil, foundry, tongs, hammers, etc. as tools just like the workbench and chemistry station.

Later versions of each station could include tools based on electricity. So you add power to the workstation and then you could add a power drill to enhance your use of screwdrivers and drills. Now anything that requires a screwdriver or drill can be made faster. That's the vision I have for crafting.

One that I like that was modded in on 100 Days mod, in Alpha 15.2 by Cork55, was an Anvil. It required blacksmithing tools that you had to find. It added a little more realism and slowed player progression in which I'm a big fan of. Other modders may have done the same, I didn't play too many mods. I found that one and it's still my favorite version of the game.

To add to the above post on the modularity of workstations, I'd love to see a few things added. All either craftable or random, but preferably craftable and gated behind skill levels.

A reloading kit. This would either gate more powerful cartridge recipes or decrease crafting time of all rounds.

A vise/anvil. This would either gate certain steel/iron tools, decrease crafting times, or allow crafting above a certain quality level. For example, with the vise/anvil, I can now make armors and steel tools above, say, 300 quality. A vise could also be part of the recipe for the reloading kit.

A soldering/welding kit. This would again either gate or decrease crafting time of parts such as electronic, mechanical, relays, and switches.

Another thing that'd be pretty slick as an electricity mod would be a lathe/CNC. This electricity powered unit would open up crafting of certain weapons mods. This could also work as a workbench mod, but I'd think you'd have to gate this with skills and electricity to make it an end game crafting station.

There's also considerations on the crafting recipes of the mods. For example, the CNC and reloading kit could require a Tool & Die kit as a recipe component which expands its use beyond rocket parts. A file/rasp as a looted item to allow crafting of the vise with iron or steel and some pipe. What about heating elements from ovens? This could work as a scavenged part necessary for the crafting of the soldering station and could also be a necessary item for an electric smelter and in crafting electric ovens for cooking. Tons of great stuff to expand crafting and add some additional tiers to what it is we already do.

I must confess I don't like workstationitis at all. Friends and I are playing Ravenhearst at the moment and we have a room full of workstations and whenever I want to build something I seldom build I have to jump from station to station to find the right one. For what reason? I don't know, it just looks like a senseless mini-game of memory to me.

All the level-gating accomplished by different workstations can be done by removing the workstation and applying the level-gate to the recipe itself, just in case someone wants to bring this as an argument.

All that aside, I'd much prefer that they have workstations that you add tools to and then have recipes that require tools. So you have a workbench that you can add tools to (hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, awls, manual drills, etc.) ....

And that is an EXEPTIONALLY excellent idea. Much better than 5 workstations are 5 tools to put into 1 workstation. Sure, there is the danger of the RNG god that you just don't find one of the tools, but that's just another reason to go scavenging for them some more.

Did I say I like the idea? Well, I like the idea

Well, it seems every time i try to start a new discussion on something to distract myself from a long wait of the next alpha, someone (Maharin this time) comes along and persuades me why my approach is totally wrong... :(

Well, it seems every time i try to start a new discussion on something to distract myself from a long wait of the next alpha, someone (Maharin this time) comes along and persuades me why my approach is totally wrong... :(

No worries... we're all here to learn and share. :p

And we're all just throwing around opinions so there is no right or wrong. Besides, there's room for more workstations even with the tool idea. You mentioned a repair shop for vehicles. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to retrofit a workbench to fix cars. :)

TUV-Ce-Multifunctional-Milling-Drilling-Lathe-Machine-AT320-.jpg

I’d like to see some sort of drill press or all-purpose machinist’s station, where you’d make things like bulllets and mechanical parts. Visually, the workbench we have looks more suited to woodwork, and I think this would fit well with the recipes and locations already in the game. Building a different station for late-game recipes would feel more like my base’s technology is advancing, over building a second workbench for instance.

I'd love to see a walk-in shop that could attach to a base and be the workstation for vehicles.

I'd love to see a wagon to connect in the 4x4 vehicle that you can put a workbench, campfire, forge, chem station on it, like minibike parts...

If any dev look to this, i'm pretty sure that he will have some headaches and nightmares thinking about this :D

I'd love to see a wagon to connect in the 4x4 vehicle that you can put a workbench, campfire, forge, chem station on it, like minibike parts...

If any dev look to this, i'm pretty sure that he will have some headaches and nightmares thinking about this :D

Had thought about this before, maybe one step further. An RV (recreational vehicle) that had a storage chest/campfire, and room for 1 unit of your choice, forge or chem station or workbench. So you can configure to your likings or needs. Be a fun vehicle to explore the map, mobile base of sorts.

TUV-Ce-Multifunctional-Milling-Drilling-Lathe-Machine-AT320-.jpg

I’d like to see some sort of drill press or all-purpose machinist’s station, where you’d make things like bulllets and mechanical parts. Visually, the workbench we have looks more suited to woodwork, and I think this would fit well with the recipes and locations already in the game. Building a different station for late-game recipes would feel more like my base’s technology is advancing, over building a second workbench for instance.

That would take up four whole blocks, both horiz and vertics =)

More workstations is always good. If the functions of the current Workstation were divided to more appropriate ones like lathes, mills and such I would not complain.

Once thing that bugs me is the automatic nature of the primitive-looking workstation. I think it would be more interesting if at first, the workstation had to be manned (inside the workstation menu) to do it's work, with the option of upgrading it with an engine and parts, perhaps hooking it up via the electrical system to give it automatic function. Some people might interpret this as grind, but I think it would add depth (time management, strategic choice on when and what to craft). Right now I just throw a bunch of crap into it and barely give it a second thought. It's a bit silly.

More workstations is always good. If the functions of the current Workstation were divided to more appropriate ones like lathes, mills and such I would not complain.

Once thing that bugs me is the automatic nature of the primitive-looking workstation. I think it would be more interesting if at first, the workstation had to be manned (inside the workstation menu) to do it's work, with the option of upgrading it with an engine and parts, perhaps hooking it up via the electrical system to give it automatic function. Some people might interpret this as grind, but I think it would add depth (time management, strategic choice on when and what to craft). Right now I just throw a bunch of crap into it and barely give it a second thought. It's a bit silly.

Have to keep in mind it is a game, just imagine you making a mass quantity of bullets and have to stare at a build screen for 30 mins of real time. I think what they have now works for most people, it maybe a bit silly, but the alternative is boredom or will have people going afk while doing this stuff. And if this were applied to forges/campfires/chem stations would really slow the game down, multi-tasking is the way to go.

I had the thought that you could also upgrade your workstations and the forge. But that they should require electricity after the upgrade.

Adding power tools to the standard workstation for example to unlock more recipes and maby shortening crafting times.

Upgrade the forge to add more smelting slots (+1) and quicker smelting.

I know at least the workbench thing was mentioned earlier or something like it.

I also think in regards to the vehicles that that is a good idea. But i had another idea. They could add other modules to the vehicles as well. Like storage to the 4x4 and an extra fuel barrel to make it a support vehicle. As well ass passenger seats in the back.

I also think a side car for the bike would be nice. With a gun mount that has a 45 degree angle in the front but eliminates recoil.

Archived