Translation to another language

Code6

I started translating the game into Esperanto and I am looking for some help with:

1) Choosing a new language after it is added to localization.txt.

I saw reference to setting the language in Steam, but it doesn't offer Esperanto as a choice.

2) Getting "special" characters to show up in the game. Ex. ĉ, ĝ, ĵ, ŝ, ŭ. (These letters are part of the Esperanto alphabet.)

I can type them on signs in the game, but when I put them in localization.txt, they show up as blanks in the game interface. Because I couldn't figure out how to change the language I just overwrote the English column in the file. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

After hours of searching and reading anything remotely close, I couldn't find any guides on how to do translation/localization for 7 Days To Die, so I hope someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thank you. (Dankon)

2) Getting "special" characters to show up in the game. Ex. ĉ, ĝ, ĵ, ŝ, ŭ. (These letters are part of the Esperanto alphabet.)

I can type them on signs in the game, but when I put them in localization.txt, they show up as blanks in the game interface. Because I couldn't figure out how to change the language I just overwrote the English column in the file. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

This is the issue of font. 7 days to die uses built-in font AgencyB_32p. This font has no special characters. If you want them to show, you need to change font that can show them.

For most in-game ui, edit Data/Config/XUi/controls.xml. There is the property "font_face" for label (this is the setup for text in UI). I use the AgencyB for our Japanese translation.

This is the issue of font. 7 days to die uses built-in font AgencyB_32p. This font has no special characters. If you want them to show, you need to change font that can show them.

For most in-game ui, edit Data/Config/XUi/controls.xml. There is the property "font_face" for label (this is the setup for text in UI). I use the AgencyB for our Japanese translation.

I suspected it was a font issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will give that a try next.

I wonder why the font used for signs supports those characters. It looks very similar.

How do you choose Japanese as the game language?

I suspected it was a font issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will give that a try next.

I wonder why the font used for signs supports those characters. It looks very similar.

How do you choose Japanese as the game language?

No idea about sign. X)

For now, I replace all text in English column with Japanese text. I don't know the way to add new language. At least, Just adding new column for Japanese doesn't work. X(

Similar problems when translating into Russian, even if there is a translation - search recipes still does not work...

Are you copying Russian over the English column in localization.txt in order to see the translation? I was wondering if you knew how to choose a new language.

I looked at that file and the only occurrence of font_face was in the <gamepad_callout> block. And it was already set to font_face="AGENCYB".

Could you reply with the text in context from your version of controls.xml?

Thank you.

I looked at that file and the only occurrence of font_face was in the <gamepad_callout> block. And it was already set to font_face="AGENCYB".

Could you reply with the text in context from your version of controls.xml?

Thank you.

Oops, sorry. This is my typo. Correct file is Data/Config/XUi/styles.xml.

Oops, sorry. This is my typo. Correct file is Data/Config/XUi/styles.xml.

OK. Now I am a little closer. I found the entry in both XUi/styles.xml and XUi_Menu/styles.xml. I changed it from AgencyB_32p to AgencyB. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Do you have any other tips to offer?

I was really hoping this wouldn't be so difficult. Seeing multiple languages in localization.txt gave me hope that the developers already supported this. I already put a lot of effort into the translation to Esperanto. It will be very disappointing if all that work is wasted. I wish I could talk to a developer.

OK. Now I am a little closer. I found the entry in both XUi/styles.xml and XUi_Menu/styles.xml. I changed it from AgencyB_32p to AgencyB. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Do you have any other tips to offer?

Then, AgencyB doesn't support those chars. What font are you using usually? Try another font, and see if it fixes.

Then, AgencyB doesn't support those chars. What font are you using usually? Try another font, and see if it fixes.

I don't think that one can simply type in any font name on the system. I believe that the fonts are part of the game. Based on what I have read elsewhere there is basically just different forms of Agency*.

Has anyone else successfully gotten a translation to work?

I don't think that one can simply type in any font name on the system.

Yeah, not all. But some usual fonts are available via other name.

I used "font" for font_face in above pic.

Of course, actual name is different.

I just tried bunch of font, another and another. But if you specified "I use this font for Esperanto", I could find one which is resemble to it easily.

Archived