Grim's Unity Asset Editor

grimreefer24601

Here's a little teaser from v0.3. I've finished the search function. [URL=http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/grimreefer24601/media/find_zps4dee0800.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag223/grimreefer24601/find_zps4dee0800.jpg[/IMG][/URL] It can search for a string, hex, decimal, and float values. You can also directly select the asset from the search box. It takes a minute or two to search resources.assets, but it's a pretty big file. I've also added some minor bug fixes to unnamed assets. I've still got some other stuff to do for v0.3, and any ideas you have are welcome. I plan to get v0.3 out to you guys within the next two weeks. Hopefully sooner than later.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;54845]The mod creator gives you the ability to make a self extracting executable containing your mod. That's how I distribute all my mods. It's basically the same thing except it packages everything all together.[/QUOTE] There's a mod creator too?! JUJU I TELL YOU! :) I completely missed that button - great stuff! Hal

[QUOTE=Red Eagle LXIX;54976]I'd suggest a tweak to the hex editor plugin. I've accidentally clicked on a larger item in resources.assets and had the whole program become unresponsive when the hex editor was selected.[/QUOTE] Got it to where I can load the largest file in 2.5 seconds. Is that fast enough? I had to manually take over the edit box, but it's pretty fast now.

There's source code for a basic text plugin in the download. As for giving out more source than that, I don't plan to. Not because I don't want to help people, but because it's not the best code to open source. I'm really bad about commenting, and I'm entirely self taught in programming, so I don't do things like other coders. It's not good code to learn from. If you want to make a plugin, or want information about file formats, just ask.

I've got most of what I'm planning for v0.3 of UAE itself finished. Some parts still need some tweaks, and I'm sure I haven't found every problem with it. But mainly now I want to work on some more plugins I would like some help testing the new version. I've decided to post a BETA version of v0.3 for those who want to try the new features/fixes, and those willing and prepared to deal with bugs. [CODE]Feature/Fixes *Search - Search assets files for strings, integers, floats, and hex values. Assets can be selected from the search dialog. *Reverse Sort - All Asset List columns now reverse sort when clicked a second time. *Texture Size - Textures will now be sized to and centered in the window on opening and resizing the texture dialog. *Plugin Extensions - Plugins can now have an unlimited number of extensions. When Import/Export is called in plugins the extension value is now a wchar_t pointer containing the extension text. *Add/Remove Asset - There are now Add and Remove Asset Dialogs. These are only useful for advanced edits, but are necessary to add completely new objects. *Fixed - Hexadecimal Viewer Load Time. NULL returned from plugin Import/Export now cancels Import/Export. Unnamed Assets now have the correct Import/Export size. *Known Bugs - The Hex Viewer selects all text when you click in it. The hex Viewer doesn't scroll after the window loses focus. CTRL+C does not copy selections from the Hex Viewer, however right click Copy will. Texture Viewer doesn't get every image centered and scaled correctly.[/CODE] I'll be working with this version for a bit to test it out, and to work on a couple more plugins. Don't rely on this version, keep v0.2 just in case, and always keep backups of your assets files. Any suggestions, requests, or comments are welcome. Let me know what you guys/gals think. [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/download/s8zch4jwdgh7x92/UAE_0_3(BETA_1).zip"]UAE_0_3(BETA_1).zip[/URL]

Grim, I love this tool but I have only mastered the art of using it to modify the resources.assets file. With every update it resets all the changes I have made. I am new to creating mods, so I was wondering if there was a way I could create a mod that would keep my changes to drop events and tweaks I do to the other model files. If it is possible is there a guide to creating mods other than the info in the readme. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Sho'nuff;56076]Grim, I love this tool but I have only mastered the art of using it to modify the resources.assets file. With every update it resets all the changes I have made. I am new to creating mods, so I was wondering if there was a way I could create a mod that would keep my changes to drop events and tweaks I do to the other model files. If it is possible is there a guide to creating mods other than the info in the readme. Thanks![/QUOTE] I've taken to documenting and commenting all my mods in the files, so that when they are updated I export the new ones, and just copy and paste my mods back in. You could also use a text compare tool, and if no actual changes were made to the files just reimport yours. I use notepad++ with a compare plugin, although I am sure there are more sophisticated tools, it does the job for me.

So very recently my server company has given me access to a lot more files. Specifically the sharedassests 0 1 and 2 and the resources assets file. There are a bunch more files but those are the only ones I saw named assets. Does this mean i could use your utility to mod my server game and it would affect everyone playing on my server? Orf because so many things are clientside it wouldn't have any effect on the players? Thanks in advance T

Most things are client side only at this point. Some things that are commands called by the server implement server side though. Spawning and such I believe is server side. It's really going to depend on what your modding at this time. For 7 Days to Die, besides .assets files, UAE can also open level0, level1, and mainData. In the resources folder it can also open unity default resources, and unity_builtin_extra.

To those testing UAE v0.3(BETA1). Do you prefer the faster loading times for the Hex Viewer, or the more standard controls of the previous version? I could make a loading message that let you know that it was working. I like the fast loading, but it has some limitations. I may be able to work through them, but which do you prefer? Limitations - Lack of CTRL-C Can't select entire text Initial selection bug Or any you can think of. I understand that this fixes one thing to break two others, which do you prefer?

Faster loading for sure. At least I don't have to end task or wait a minute or 2 (no patience) if I accidentally select say Items3DPreviewAtlas.dds without switching away from the hex plugin. UAE v0.2 that was often my biggest issue, leaving the hex editor selected and then switching from something I wanted to quickly peek at the hex, to something like that. Well, right click for copy still works. So the loss of CTRL+C isn't such an extreme loss. The select all appears to only function against the visible portion of the file on the new hex plugin. Then again if I was going to do anything more than look into a file or grab a small portion I'd just export it and open in a more dedicated hex editor. The initial selection bug is slightly annoying, but then again, most times just trying to get a peek into file rather than do anything significant. TBH though, if the old one had the ability to cancel loading by simply selecting the plugin or mod creator button (or even selecting a small file) then either would be fine. It was the complete lack of responsiveness for a minute or 2 at a time that annoyed me. Overall, the preference is for the faster one. Just my opinion though.

@scatterp: Thanks for the offer. I think I've got most of the assets files figured out. There's like 4 or 5 DWORDs that I don't know what they do, but all of them but one are 0, and the one that's not appears to be related to the asset table in some way. There's also a reference table I haven't really looked into much, but it's fairly straight forward. None of these things seem to have any effect on using the assets in the game. If you want to help reverse engineer something, the ideal thing would be to work on some of the asset types. I made UAE plugin based so others could make asset editors/importers/exporters. So far I've not seen anyone besides me make an asset plugin. That would be most helpful. I've already figured out Game Objects, Materials, Shaders, Meshes, Resource Managers, and (thanks to kevmatte) the 0xFFFFFFFD format (at least in sharedassets2). I'm working on plugin for these assets now, but you're welcome to make better or different plugins than me. If you make some good plugins I'll include them in the default plugin of UAE. @Red: Sadly, 90% of the slowdown is in Windows. Litteraly all my code is called in the few seconds it takes to load a Hex now. The rest of the time is all in the Windows WM_SETTEXT message. I've not found any way to speed up that message, or any other command to set the text in an edit control. More likely I'll figure out how to emulate standard functions, and do the drawing myself. So the question to you, and others testing v0.3, should I remove the selection ability completely until I figure out the quirks, or should I leave it as is while I work with it? I like being able to select small portions, especially with the search feature, but what are your opinions?

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;57932]@scatterp: Thanks for the offer. I think I've got most of the assets files figured out. There's like 4 or 5 DWORDs that I don't know what they do, but all of them but one are 0, and the one that's not appears to be related to the asset table in some way. There's also a reference table I haven't really looked into much, but it's fairly straight forward. None of these things seem to have any effect on using the assets in the game. If you want to help reverse engineer something, the ideal thing would be to work on some of the asset types. I made UAE plugin based so others could make asset editors/importers/exporters. So far I've not seen anyone besides me make an asset plugin. That would be most helpful. I've already figured out Game Objects, Materials, Shaders, Meshes, Resource Managers, and (thanks to kevmatte) the 0xFFFFFFFD format (at least in sharedassets2). I'm working on plugin for these assets now, but you're welcome to make better or different plugins than me. If you make some good plugins I'll include them in the default plugin of UAE. [/QUOTE] well not so good at actually writing code as I am reversing so ill stick away from the plugins lets look at the DWORDs if you can give me some examples of how to find these I can maybe identify the function that creates them using olly or idapro have you seen disunity (open src) ? I was able to use that to open unity3d files and assets from rust so that could give us info on what some of the filetypes are

Just a note, and a strange one, if you Google Unity Asset Editor, the thread I posted a few days ago at Sandswept (The Dead Linger) shows up before this one. Right after that is my Mod DB. I think 7 Days to Die is missing something most SEO's catch. Really, most of my mods/tools find Google fairly well. 7 Days to Die for some reason isn't hitting Google. If Sandswept can hit Google, why does 7D2D not?

@scatterp: But most of the assets files are unique to each individual asset. The DWORDs I don't know are always 0, except one. The very first DWORD is related to the file offset, but is not equal to any value at that offset, or combination of that offset. I suspect it's something related to the previous offset. If you can figure out what the very first DWORD means you'll have figured out something that's been eluding me. Is that what you mean? Do you know what the first DWORD means? Other than that, all real new stuff is in individual assets. Even if you exported from v0.3(not available yet, but it's accurate) can you make an editor for that raw data. I don't need file format help except for in individual assets (UAE handles generic assets well, better with v0.3 when I release it). I have assets down. Really, where we need is individual asset translators.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;58049]Just a note, and a strange one, if you Google Unity Asset Editor, the thread I posted a few days ago at Sandswept (The Dead Linger) shows up before this one. Right after that is my Mod DB. I think 7 Days to Die is missing something most SEO's catch. Really, most of my mods/tools find Google fairly well. 7 Days to Die for some reason isn't hitting Google. If Sandswept can hit Google, why does 7D2D not?[/QUOTE] ill take a look i worked as an seo for 8 years

Archived