Grim's Unity Asset Editor

grimreefer24601

I exported it so i could do a search, do i need to import it or will just saving it in the sale location as the resource.assets file? If not they should let you do that so you can keep the original file but have like an addons folder or just read loose files in that dir first over the main one.

[QUOTE=randydg;48445]I exported it so i could do a search, do i need to import it or will just saving it in the sale location as the resource.assets file? If not they should let you do that so you can keep the original file but have like an addons folder or just read loose files in that dir first over the main one.[/QUOTE]you need to import it, the do file> save as and replace the existing resources.assets.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;46487]I've got a model viewer working, but I've got to write the conversion routines. I can't really give an ETA since I'm going to have to learn a new 3D format to do it. I messing with the FBX SDK from AutoDesk now, hopefully it's not too complicated to implement.[/QUOTE]Which file type are the meshes? I've got a feeling I may to want to do a mod for the meshes after A7.6. Specifically the terrain mesh as referenced by Block info from models_2 text as xml:

[QUOTE=randydg;49015]Oh, Red Eagle LXIX. I found that you have to put new recipes on top of the list, if at the bottom they don't work.[/QUOTE]New recipes work fine for me at the bottom of recipes.xml, that it where I placed the one from the [url=http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?6533-Is-customizing-the-recipe-xml-file-not-working-any-more]other thread[/url] (which is where your reply and this one belong (can a mod move these two replies))?

I'm not totally sure the terrain and block meshes are in the resources. That's not saying they aren't, but basic shapes are easy to create programmatically, and if you doing per vertex work sometimes it's easier than using premade meshes. That said meshes are 0x0000002B. If terrain is in a mesh, I believe it's a resource called Box1, and an index of 1217 in resources.assets. There are several "Box"'s. Some are truly a box, and at least one is a bottle. 1217 looks similar to the placed terrain shape, so that's my guess. You can find a list of resource type here, [URL="http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ClassIDReference.html"]YAML Class ID Reference[/URL]. They list the ID as decimal integers, so you have to convert them to hex to match UAE.

I've read every post in this thread and I still have no idea what this does. Sounds cool as hell, but wouldn't have the first clue how to use it to modify the files on my dedicated server. When you release a "For Dummies" version let me know. Great work though!

All it does at it's most basic level is extract resources, and import them back in. So, you extract, for example, an XML, modify it in notepad, import it back in, and save the asset file. Each plugin just basically makes it so the exported file is some kind of standard data type (eg. XML,DDS,TXT,WAV,OGG). I wouldn't know how to make it easier than it already is.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;49064]I'm not totally sure the terrain and block meshes are in the resources. That's not saying they aren't, but basic shapes are easy to create programmatically, and if you doing per vertex work sometimes it's easier than using premade meshes. That said meshes are 0x0000002B. If terrain is in a mesh, I believe it's a resource called Box1, and an index of 1217 in resources.assets. There are several "Box"'s. Some are truly a box, and at least one is a bottle. 1217 looks similar to the placed terrain shape, so that's my guess. You can find a list of resource type here, [URL="http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ClassIDReference.html"]YAML Class ID Reference[/URL]. They list the ID as decimal integers, so you have to convert them to hex to match UAE.[/QUOTE] Yes, I know they may be done as an object or code. I hope they are using object based meshes for the blocks. TY for the link I can see that being handy. I suppose we'll be able to tell soon enough when A7.6 arrives. Of course we don't yet know what code might go along with any changes as well, so it could all be moot as maybe they've got something up their sleeves for keeping slopes and organic looks along with rounded cubettes.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;49206]Since the terrain blocks change shape when placed together, I almost think it's done in code, but who knows?[/QUOTE] Quite probably, but it never hurts to learn more so I figured I'd ask. On Topic: Feature request for a future version, automatically scale the texture view to the viewer window when first loading an image.

[QUOTE=Red Eagle LXIX;49218]On Topic: Feature request for a future version, automatically scale the texture view to the viewer window when first loading an image.[/QUOTE] I've added it to my list of stuff for v0.3. Even though it a plugin request. Since it's a default plugin.:untroubled: Also included for my v0.3 plans are reversed sorting, and a search feature. The search is the most ambitious so far, because I intend to search the resource data, not just file names. I want to search for not only text values, but also hex/decimal values. Right now you've got me side tracked with region files though.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;49362]I've added it to my list of stuff for v0.3. Even though it a plugin request. Since it's a default plugin.:untroubled: Also included for my v0.3 plans are reversed sorting, and a search feature. The search is the most ambitious so far, because I intend to search the resource data, not just file names. I want to search for not only text values, but also hex/decimal values. Right now you've got me side tracked with region files though.[/QUOTE] I'm going to add another feature request. The ability to run more than 1 instance for side by side compares of different asset files. Right now to accomplish this one needs to make multiple copies of the folder. Not a problem though. Sorry, glad you're working on that as well. From what you've shown, your region editor is going to be as awesome as UAE.

Feature Request: Insert File into Asset. For example the now defunct ta_terrain.dds from A6.4 to A7.7. It would solve the issue I had with block textures. I gather that may or may not be easy (or even possible) given you'd also need to have a way for it to specific the internal path? not sure how that works within the Unity files.

Inserting it should be easy, it's linking it to other objects. I can append any file in theory. I have no way of testing it until I understand how items link together. I've got some ideas, but I haven't looked very deeply into it. Would the game even know how to use the ta_terrain.dds if you reinserted it? I don't have any of the 6.4 stuff anymore, so I can't even try it. Edit: As I think about it, even adding a dds could be problematic. Adding a raw data file would work, but there are still a couple of parts of the texture format I don't understand, so I can't recreate a texture from scratch. It's really a per plugin basis. Text editor could do it, but I don't think the current audio one could.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;53496]Inserting it should be easy, it's linking it to other objects. I can append any file in theory. I have no way of testing it until I understand how items link together. I've got some ideas, but I haven't looked very deeply into it. Would the game even know how to use the ta_terrain.dds if you reinserted it? I don't have any of the 6.4 stuff anymore, so I can't even try it. Edit: As I think about it, even adding a dds could be problematic. Adding a raw data file would work, but there are still a couple of parts of the texture format I don't understand, so I can't recreate a texture from scratch. It's really a per plugin basis. Text editor could do it, but I don't think the current audio one could.[/QUOTE] Actually the game already knows how to access the file if it is placed in the right space. Raw Data export you say. I could give you a link to the raw data from sharedassets2.assets for ta_terrain.dds and ta_terrain_n.dds exported as Unity Data. That's easy, I have them already exported both as .dss and raw unity data (thought you might say something along those lines).

Bump! Just kidding.:friendly_wink: Minor update. A user pointed out the lack of some Audio File types in the Audio Export/Import plugin. I've added all the file types I can find for the Unity Engine. It should now deal with these files correctly. This is not something that affects 7 Days to Die, only other Unity Games. This is not an essential download at all, but it is now part of the Default Audio Plugin. The downloads in the first post have been updated to reflect this change. This addition showed me a couple of places where my plugin system is lacking, so expect some plugin changes with v0.3. Here's a link if you wish to download the plugin only. Just overwrite the original files in you default plugin folder. [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/download/35ghbc62fgqicbq/Audio.zip"]Audio.zip[/URL]

The smoothing on the terrain blocks is called the marching cubes algo. It was invented in the 80s as a way to build 3D meshes out of many slices of MRI scans. It was a copyright algorithm until recently when they created a better system to do that, and the marching cubes algo became public domain. The terrain is still represented in memory as "blocks" or "points". The marching cubes algorithm interprets the data and generates topology by sampling a 2x2x2 array at a time. In fact, when minecraft came out, I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be cool if I coded an engine like this using the marching cubes algo to smooth the terrain". I started coding it in directx9, but moved on to other things. I barely got it working. Collision detection on a dynamically generated and updated terrain using marching cubes was just way too much work. [URL="http://users.polytech.unice.fr/~lingrand/MarchingCubes/algo.html"]http://users.polytech.unice.fr/~lingrand/MarchingCubes/algo.html[/URL]

Hey Grim, Could it be possible to use UAE as a replacement tool via command line? So if I wanted to add some custom entity spawners or something for a mod but realise most people don't want to mess with the resources I could do something like: UAE.exe /replace="resources.assets" /file="models_8.xml" /with="MyModels_8.xml" Or even better just inject the lines I want to the original so it's multi-mod compatible? I'd try doing something myself but UAE goes way over my head. I'm still not convinced your not some kind of dark wizard using black juju... Source of the Zombie appocolypse? Hmmm....

Archived