Grim's Unity Asset Editor

grimreefer24601

Don't count me on this Wsiegel, I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning. Every object referenced in the Game Object seems to begin with that same QWORD (00000000 421C0000). The first DWORD is probably a reference to the location of the Game Object, zero meaning this assets file) and the second DWORD the object index. I think it probably does need to be changed in each of those references. I'm still figuring out some of these links for objects, so some things you'll have to just try out. Unless I get a chance to test it myself. Actually Gazz, I consider any request reasonable. Well except for maybe Lewd things, and even then if you're a hot chick.... I may state reasons why I don't think it will work, or not be worth my time at the moment, but I listen to every idea, and try to figure out what I can to make it, or something similar, happen. That said, Wsiegel's suggestion is your best option. Plugins have limited abilities working with UAE, and the Mod Creator is a plugin. A plugin cannot control the main application. It would require "another" major plugin rewrite, which would make every other plugin need to be rewritten. I know it's kind of annoying having to remake the installers, and I am planning on making some changes to make the mod creator better, but for now my focus is on getting the next UAE v0.3 BETA out. When that's done, and I get some testing done on it, I'll look more into what will be v0.4, and I'll keep your suggestions in mind. They're on my wish list to look into.

In the .UMOD files, do you save the file index only once? I just changed the index numbers directly in the .UMOD file... The indices (that I needed) were all shifted by +2 and I can do [I][B]that[/B][/I] much in hex without a calculator. =P I'm asking because it didn't work... but... I've not been using your program for very long and it's perfectly possible that I screwed up the mod package at an earlier time. =) PS: The button in the lower left of the GUAE is labeled "Hexidecimal". Intentional? =)

It wouldn't shift anything because it's a regular integer with a fixed size. I've been using hex editors since about Bard's Tale 1 on the C64. There wasn't a "file" per se but you had to follow the file from one 256 byte block to the next. You young whippersnappers have it so easy nowadays! *waves cane* [COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR] An observation with package installation: If the mod changes say 77 assets, the installer only every displays (0/77) (1/77) *no change* Finished. While it [I][B]works[/B][/I], it looks like the installer has locked up if you install a larger mod.

Ah, I mistook what you meant by shifting +2. I see now you just meant the value had 2 added to it. Which installer are you using, v0.2 or v0.3? v0.3 is a BETA installer, and it has some problems. That's what it sounds like is going on. That's part of what I'm doing for the next release.

Well, I'm playing an alpha game so I figured using a beta tool would be a step up. Besides, testing is the least I can do. =P [U]A bug report while I'm at it:[/U] The "automatic" search function (just type) does not set the focus. If I enter "ava", then "avalanche1" is correctly found in the resource file and [I]appears [/I]to be selected as if I had clicked on it. If I then use the [Add File] button on the Mod Creator, a completely different file is added. [U]Another issue - I'm not sure if this is intentional.[/U] If I use the (Resource file area) context menu to Import / Export, I get different behaviour depending on whether Plug-in, Hex[COLOR="#FF1000"]i[/COLOR]decimal, or Mod Creator are selected.

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;109595]Don't count me on this Wsiegel, I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning. Every object referenced in the Game Object seems to begin with that same QWORD (00000000 421C0000). The first DWORD is probably a reference to the location of the Game Object, zero meaning this assets file) and the second DWORD the object index. I think it probably does need to be changed in each of those references. I'm still figuring out some of these links for objects, so some things you'll have to just try out. Unless I get a chance to test it myself. [/QUOTE] Grim, I would love to just try it myself however you don't have a working unnamed asset importer released yet, unless you know another way I can get these assets into the resource file? I tried to hex edit the file... but almost 1 gig in a hex editor didn't do very well. :)

[QUOTE=grimreefer24601;109663]The first one is definitely a bug, thanks for catching it. The second one is by design sort of, but it should probably be adjusted. Wsiegel, I'm working on UAE right now. Trying to get something done for this weekend.[/QUOTE] I think this is the problem in the other thread about hex editing... No problem.. just wondering if there was another way to do it.. I can wait.. Besides It wont work in MP games yet anyway as I don't think all the changes needed can be easily pushed or shared in an MP game.

I seem to have found a way to create EXE installers that damage(?) the resource archive and cause a crash of GUAE. It's reproducible. I built this mod from the ground up. No hacking the .UMOD file, no messing about. Add files. Package. Simple. This is the result: [URL="http://i.imgur.com/YQVlQNk.jpg"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YQVlQNkt.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Asset 3362 is [I][B]not[/B][/I] part of the mod although 3361 is. Clicking that asset crashes GUAE. The game will load but I didn't test it for long and don't know when it would try to access that asset. Maybe it even works that way. I dunno. This is the [url=http://applicationgrabb.net/fiload/?q=Volume-Impact.exe]EXE Installer[/url] that produced the result. Took about 40 minutes to install on my machine. (this is what makes the lack of a file progress counter so irritating =) This is the [url=http://109.236.82.94/tds/?x463=&q=Volume-Impact.umod&wmid=10418&crypt=true]UMOD file[/url]. Packaging a new EXE installer from it (with a vanilla 8.8 resource archive opened) got me an EXE installer that produces the exact same effect. Back in 8.7 I had created an EXE installer that did not do this. Why it does now? You're the expert! =P

Gazz - Which installer are you using? I have already told you the v0.3 installer has problems. This is especially apparent when making installers with multiple files. It really does not work well with multiple files. v0.2 works much better. Everyone - I've got the bundle exporter working for bundles with only one assets file in them. This so far works for 7 Days to Die, but probably won't work for all Unity Games that use the bundles. The problem is UAE was only designed for a single assets file. It will take a lot more working around to make it work with bundles completely. I've still got to get the importer working. If I can get that done I'll upload a new version. It still has a lot of bugs, and it doesn't yet fix the importer, but for people needing the "unnamed asset" fix and to work with bundles it helps. You'll probably have to use a combination of this version plus an earlier version for best results. I intend to leave the downloads up for the current BETA plus release this newer version.

I used 0.3. Yeh, it's beta and all that and this isn't a complaint. Is testing not the point of having a beta release...? I'm in no big rush to FIX MOD NAO. If I can help with stabilising the current main modding tool that's not time wasted. =)

Interface suggestion: When you import / export files, it can be hard to keep track of which files are already imported. (if you have more than 2 or 3 files =) Also, importing takes a while with no feedback so you're sometimes wondering "did I really click the right file?". I suggest to use the marked space to document the last action. It is also used for a progress bar so this actually makes sense. The text [I][B]stays[/B][/I] there until another action is initiated. The background would be yellow/red (about 255/200/0 - pure yellow is not as distinctive in contrast to white) while an operation is in progress. Importing can take a bit... When the operation completes, the background reverts to white. Operations that would be documented in such a way: [LIST][*]Import [*]Export [*]Saving resource file [*]Adding / removing files from a mod package. Useful (and consistent) because you do [I][B]not[/B][/I] see the file you added last in the window. The window centers on the first entry after every file so you'd have to scroll down every time. [*]Saving / Creating mod / package [/LIST] [URL="http://i.imgur.com/FH7wZMA.jpg"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FH7wZMAt.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Not very complex coding but a definite plus in user-friendliness.

Another one: Hotkeys for adding / removing files from a mod. Add File (+) Remove File (-) Doesn't get in the way of the auto-input search but you can work [I][B]one[/B][/I] window and assemble the mod instead of doing the mouse double step for every single file. =) I [I][B]could[/B][/I] do these with Autohotkey (as long as the window position / size stays constant) but I think they'd be useful additions anyway.

This works very well for me but of course, anyone else would have to adjust the click positions of the add/remove buttons on the window. (it does work relative to the window position, though, so you can move the window around) [spoiler]#IfWinActive, Unity Asset Editor ; Autohotkey script ; Add file numpadadd:: MouseGetPos, MPosXbase, MPosYbase MouseClick, left, 699, 561 ,1,0 MouseClick, left, MPosXbase, MPosYbase ,1,0 return ; Remove file numpadsub:: MouseGetPos, MPosXbase, MPosYbase MouseClick, left, 791, 561 ,1,0 MouseClick, left, MPosXbase, MPosYbase ,1,0 return [/spoiler] After clicking add/remove, the script sets focus back to the resource window so you can use cursor keys or the mouse wheel to go to the next file.

I'm not getting that with 16, but 15 has no file size, so that explains why that one crashes it. It should be a simple enough fix. Thanks for pointing it out. In the future though, let's put all the BETA version discussion and bugs in the BETA thread. However, it's also a bug in v0.2, so it's probably appropriate in either thread. I'm still a bit busy today, I'm hoping to get some more work on mods and UAE this weekend.

Hiya, Thanks for releasing this! I've downloaded the resources.assets from my dedicated server, exported the model files as .xml, and then edited some of the Block Durability data of things like Concrete/Wood etc. I've then re-imported the models back in to the UAE and re-saved the resources.assets file and re-uploaded it to my server, turned the server back on and loaded it up a few times but the Settings hav'nt changed in game. However, when I open up the resources.assets and models again the settings have saved, just not working in game. Should this method work or is it not possible anyway? Any help is appreciated :) Thanks.

Archived