So...Is This Really Supposed to Happen on Day 5?

Balkoth

It's pretty unusual to get so many so early but that's how the newer wandering horde system works. You can get a dog/bear horde any day. I think the earliest I have had one myself was day six. Overall the wandering hordes don't seem to spawn as dogs and bears very often though.

The day is not really important, much more your level

So...you're claiming Zombie Bears are normal at level 22ish?

I think the earliest I have had one myself was day six. Overall the wandering hordes don't seem to spawn as dogs and bears very often though.

I had a pack of 12 dogs show up on Day 6. I figured nothing could be worse than that...until I got two Zombie Bears (and two Zombie Dogs) on Day 5...

Nice escape. I see you figured out that it's easy to disrupt AI pathfinding by dropping spikes as you run.

That has happened to me on day 5 before, except it was a lot more dogs and no zombie bears. It would be nice if those hordes would give a loud roar or bark ~3-5 seconds before they reach you. A lesser player would've died to that and came here to complain.

Do you always build guard towers as you explore?

So...you're claiming Zombie Bears are normal at level 22ish?

Not normal, but it looks like they can appear during a wandering horde event. See there no problem, it served the intended WTF moment.

Only bad thing about this events is that they are implmemented a way they happen mostly when the player is building or Harvesting something. Means most times it happens when the player is not aware of his sourroundings. Thats a bit unfair

Not normal, but it looks like they can appear during a wandering horde event. See there no problem, it served the intended WTF moment.

Only bad thing about this events is that they are implmemented a way they happen mostly when the player is building or Harvesting something. Means most times it happens when the player is not aware of his sourroundings. Thats a bit unfair

Oh, they do happen other times too. However, their appearance is often a bit more surprising and deadly when they

appear during building and harvesting times.

And to the OP, nice escape man. :)

The interesting thing for the whole video was, once I saw he had a wrench on day 5, that's all I was thinking: "Cool a wrench on day 5!"

:)

Unless you cheated it up then, meh.

Wow, sir. I scraped and begged and borrowed and managed to raise 1000 tokens before the Wrench disappeared on Day 4 and you sir, you have the temerity, the audacity, the sheer gall to insinuate I cheated. Sir, I am outraged.

But seriously, no, I don't cheat.

That has happened to me on day 5 before, except it was a lot more dogs and no zombie bears. It would be nice if those hordes would give a loud roar or bark ~3-5 seconds before they reach you. A lesser player would've died to that and came here to complain.

Yeah, the post above yours has a link to where I encountered 12 dogs on Day 6.

In all seriousness, I do have two complaints (both of which could resolve the other)...

1. There should be some kind of warning sound like you said.

2. This makes is very difficult to play permadeath games where random stuff like this can potentially screw you. I escaped -- most people would have died and I wouldn't blame them for thinking it was unfair.

Giving a warning sound addresses #2 and not playing permadeath makes #1 less of a problem (you get screwed over, but then get up and recover). The fact that dying reduces your gamestage and thus makes the rest of the game easier is still a problem -- dying to two Zombie Bears on Day 5 shouldn't make the Day 7 horde any easier...

Do you always build guard towers as you explore?

That's my home base that I ran to, sir. Generally no, though I sometimes set up staging bases near towns so I have a drop off point and a safe place to spend the night.

See there no problem, it served the intended WTF moment.

I'm trying to play a permadeath game. So if I had died (which was likely) then I either have to say "Guess I'm not playing permadeath, also my next Horde will be easier since I died which sucks" or "I guess this random event screwed me and I have to start all over." Both are bad options.

That's a fair point -- if there was always a mini-horde event at 10 AM each day or something and you could prepare for it, that'd be different.

I always thought the dog horde on day 5 was a regular thing. Kind of like a preview for day 7. I'm pretty sure if we dig through madmoles posts a few years, we can find him talking about it.

In Alpha 13 and 14, Day 5/12/19/26/etc was "Dog Day." Many players just stayed in their base all day (at least for the first few weeks) and mined or something to avoid the dog hordes because they were so deadly. That's no longer the case -- see my prior post where I found 12 dogs on Day 6. It is currently random.

Found a thread discussing it....

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?42256-Day-5-dog-horde-a-myth

Which led me into the config files....

<day value="12">		  <property name="EntityGroupName"    value="ZombieDogGroup" />
	  <property name="Time"               value="Any" />
	  <property name="DelayBetweenSpawns" value="1" />
	  <property name="TotalAlive"         value="2" />
	  <property name="TotalPerWave"       value="2" />
	</day>

And again on day 19, and 27 for both day and night roaming horde spawns.

Looking further in that thread, it's noted that they removed the day 5 spawn in a13.

From the a13.3 patch notes when they changed day 6 dog hordes.

Changed: Wandering hordes, extended them to day 21 then they loop. Reduced number of dogs in wandering hordes and none will spawn on day 6, 7 and 8 so that for sure the night 7 horde will come.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-13-3-patch-oh-yeah/

And then the reference to day 5 dogs on 13.6 patch notes.

Changed: Night time zombies are restructured like day time zombies. Dogs on day 5, with no spawning near day 7 so players have time for the night hordes.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-13-6-patch-is-out/

So it was definitely on Day 5 before that. (I'll have to double check an old config though.)

Which is really strange. I still, on almost every single game, see a dog horde of anywhere from 5 to 12 dogs on day 5.

I've also wandered into a wasteland to get to the first trader and gotten my face mauled by a zombie bear because I wasn't paying attention.

Wandering into the wasteland is a choice you made :p

That's not my complaint here.

So it was definitely on Day 5 before that. (I'll have to double check an old config though.)

Which is really strange. I still, on almost every single game, see a dog horde of anywhere from 5 to 12 dogs on day 5.

It was originally on Day 5/12/19/26/etc, then TFP decided that was too harsh for the first week and moved it back to just 12/19/26/etc. Then they swapped to their new spawn system and now you can get 2 Zombie Bears on Day 5 or 12 dogs on Day 6. At least in the old days you knew to be careful/paranoid/underground/prepared on Day 5/12/19/26...now you could get such a dog/bear attack any random day.

Wow, sir. I scraped and begged and borrowed and managed to raise 1000 tokens before the Wrench disappeared on Day 4 and you sir, you have the temerity, the audacity, the sheer gall to insinuate I cheated. Sir, I am outraged.

But seriously, no, I don't cheat.

Well, they don't call me "Temerity Al" for nothing! (I had to bribe them).

But you dug deep for it and it was money well spent. The lack of a wrench is the only thing that can wreck a game. "Get wrench or get wrecked" is my mantra after day 7. :)

Seems like an average thing. I have yet to get back into it and keep dying due to stupid, but when I was surviving the full week, I would usually get a LARGE wandering horde and/or a dog pack a day or two before the 7 day horde. The dogs were always the big problem for me, fast, sneaky and usually cause me to bleed when I have no bandages handy. I took to hiding and working inside my base or extreme caution while outside, found it was good practice to set up a ring of spikes set into the ground around my tree farm etc, they would make some noise when they tried to cross it and I had a few more seconds to react.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got mobbed by zombie dogs at 14:38 on Day 1, at the top of a hill after just having looked behind me? The game decided to spawn 5 of them 1m behind me so I am getting hit before the barking audio plays, and then my backpack disappears because it's about a 60 degree hill on both sides down into water... Man, I love this game!

Yes, as SylanThunder confirmed this is/has been a 'thing.'

Looks like he was level 17 at the time.

I've seen them as early as day 4, but if not then - then it generally is from day 5 to as much as 8. Kinda bites the big one when you're doing something and they bite your head off without any notice. The only things that helps with the Dogs are: Situational Awareness; keeping stamina high, always having an 'escape route' and possibly a few more things as shown in the video the ability to drop 'barriers' of sorts. In their situation I'll generally run for quite sometime before turning around to drop any barriers.

When 'out in the open' as this is 'where' it seems to happen quite frequently - I'll generally try to keep scanning the horizon, knowing where everything is - Situational Awareness...

IE: When chopping trees, or mining nodes, even wrenching cars - I'll rotate around the object in question. Using this tactic alone I have spotted them well before they see or sense me and have 'sneaked past' many dog/wolf/bear packs! The worst ones are the 'all dog' ones without any other animal types since they're virtually silent.

Yes, as SylanThunder confirmed this is/has been a 'thing.'

Looks like he was level 17 at the time.

I've seen them as early as day 4, but if not then - then it generally is from day 5 to as much as 8. Kinda bites the big one when you're doing something and they bite your head off without any notice. The only things that helps with the Dogs are: Situational Awareness; keeping stamina high, always having an 'escape route' and possibly a few more things as shown in the video the ability to drop 'barriers' of sorts. In their situation I'll generally run for quite sometime before turning around to drop any barriers.

When 'out in the open' as this is 'where' it seems to happen quite frequently - I'll generally try to keep scanning the horizon, knowing where everything is - Situational Awareness...

IE: When chopping trees, or mining nodes, even wrenching cars - I'll rotate around the object in question. Using this tactic alone I have spotted them well before they see or sense me and have 'sneaked past' many dog/wolf/bear packs! The worst ones are the 'all dog' ones without any other animal types since they're virtually silent.

I'm not sure if the sound system has changed since A13 (when I last played properly) but I've been caught out a few times by "silent" zombies. I understand sleepers being quiet or getting caught out while making noise, but several times now I've been smacked while rearranging my backpack or even hit by dogs while placing frames.

Considering both the noise dogs make while attacking you and how poorly zombies walk, a player should be able to hear just about anything coming, at least a few steps away.

One of the things I've noticed after putting so much time into the game is that only the player makes sound when walking. Other players, animals, zombies, nothing else makes a sound when moving. If dogs made a pattering footstep sound or bears a galloping thump when rushing towards you it would still give a warning, but not enough that it would give them away if you're doing something loud like mining metal or using power tools. Either way they only bark or roar after they've changed actions from moving to attacking. The thing with that is that the game is still in alpha and the sound system still isn't fully implemented, being a part of the currently broken and incomplete stealth system. So I'm hoping that footstep sound effects actually get put in.

One of the things I've noticed after putting so much time into the game is that only the player makes sound when walking. Other players, animals, zombies, nothing else makes a sound when moving. If dogs made a pattering footstep sound or bears a galloping thump when rushing towards you it would still give a warning, but not enough that it would give them away if you're doing something loud like mining metal or using power tools. Either way they only bark or roar after they've changed actions from moving to attacking. The thing with that is that the game is still in alpha and the sound system still isn't fully implemented, being a part of the currently broken and incomplete stealth system. So I'm hoping that footstep sound effects actually get put in.

I know that Sound Forge can play at least two digital sounds at the same time. I wonder what sound app TFP are using?

There definitely needs to be a warning before Bears attack. Dogs should make some kind of growl howl when they first spot you.

As someone that lived near a research center for Grizzly Bears, the 3 that they had in the open air environments (several acres big) you could smell them before you could see them. Bears STINK! All of the Bigfoot shows where they say, "I can smell Squatch!" It is totally bear. They are super smelly creatures. It would be cool to get a smell icon that your character noticed something stinky within 25 squares. Be it a pile of dead things/rotten meat, a silent horde up wind, or a bear.

Archived