i made a save at 16 A now its 16.4 do i need to restart my save? or no?

Chronosphere

I'd back up your save first, and then load it into 16.4 and see how it goes. Starting from A9.0, I have never had a problem loading a save game into a new minor version.

A15 -> A16 changed all block textures.

It would be impossible to not notice this difference.

I believe the operative word in Faded's post is "minor", as in loading an Alpha X.Y save in Alpha X.(Y+1). Anyway, if the 16.3 notes say it requires a new save (I don't have it handy at the moment), then don't count on retaining anything from a pre-16.3 save game. Luckily, it's easy to roll back to any older 16.X release. You can stay on the version that's compatible with your save game indefinitely.

OP says A16 to 16.4. A lot less changed there.

I had forgotten that 16.3 recommended starting a new game. After backing up the save, I'd still try it just to see what happened.

By the way, you should be backing up your save on a regular basis anyway. Recently a power failure wiped my character's progress in my current game, resetting me to level 1 and blanking my inventory. I decided to RP that my character had gotten really drunk the night before and lost all his stuff somehow, and then continued playing anyway. A recent backup wouldve given me the option to restore my stuff without losing much progress.

...Luckily, it's easy to roll back to any older 16.X release. You can stay on the version that's compatible with your save game indefinitely.

Yes, I forgot to mention that: You can lock your client to any version as far back as A8.8 if you want to. Right click 7DTD in your steam library, Betas tab, select the version you want from the dropdown.

Side note: Back up your 7DTD directory before doing this so you can revert to the latest version easy without losing any of your mods.

Right Click on your game name in the steam library and select Properties

Go to the far right tab that says Betas

Click the drop down menu that probably says "None. Opt out of all Betas"

Find Alpha 16.3 in the list

Click on that and it should start downloading the 16.3 version

i backed up my save, now what i do i do to transfer into 16.3 ? :) thanks for help

Roland gave clearer directions, I missed the clicking of Properties after right clicking the game name, which is a pretty critical step.

Let us know how it goes, hey? I'm curious as to how well this will work.

Roland gave clearer directions, I missed the clicking of Properties after right clicking the game name, which is a pretty critical step.

Let us know how it goes, hey? I'm curious as to how well this will work.

yeah i what i ment was latest beta stable thats 16.4 i tought the game updated it self automaticlly?

if i change to 16.4 now do i gotta change again next time .5 comes out? i quess but why doesnt it do this from the opt out of all betas? am not very good at these switcheru of betas. am gonna try 16.4 now with my save update later.

yeah i what i ment was latest beta stable thats 16.4 i tought the game updated it self automaticlly?

if i change to 16.4 now do i gotta change again next time .5 comes out? i quess but why doesnt it do this from the opt out of all betas? am not very good at these switcheru of betas. am gonna try 16.4 now with my save update later.

Opt out of all betas does give you the latest release. You only need to change it if you want to opt in to experimental, or if you want to go back to a previous version.

Opt out of all betas does give you the latest release. You only need to change it if you want to opt in to experimental, or if you want to go back to a previous version.

ah ok then i understand, ive have no problem with my saves doesnt notice anything different , plus am a big noob so but atleast my stutter gone away now,, ever 3 minute or so my screen kinda freeezes and stutter.. hmm ty for all the help anyways .cant wait for a15 to come out

ah ok then i understand, ive have no problem with my saves doesnt notice anything different , plus am a big noob so but atleast my stutter gone away now,, ever 3 minute or so my screen kinda freeezes and stutter.. hmm ty for all the help anyways .cant wait for a15 to come out

You're welcome. Do you happen to know your hardware specs? Could be a clear cause for your stutter woes.

If you select a specific version in the beta list you will remain with that version and NOT automatically update whenever the next update comes out.

So if you select A16.3 or A16.4 you will always stay on that until you deselect it no matter what updates get released.

If you select "latest_experimental" you will get A16.4 but as soon as A17 experimental gets released you will automatically switch to that.

If you select "None. Opt out of all betas" then you will get A16.4 but as soon as A17 stable is released you will automatically switch to that.

So if you want to get A17 experimental the moment it drops then select latest_experimental. But if you want to continue to play your current save and not accidentally load it into the A17 experimental build (which will break it) then you should select A16.4 from the list so you won't switch over to any A17 build until you're ready to manually do it yourself.

Capiche?

Yeah I played A16 with that fan made prefab pack, and alot of the prefabs had weird as hell blocks i've never ever seen before, and you can tell thats not what was intended to be there. Its just all the block id's and such were messed with.

- - - Updated - - -

If you select a specific version in the beta list you will remain with that version and NOT automatically update whenever the next update comes out.

So if you select A16.3 or A16.4 you will always stay on that until you deselect it no matter what updates get released.

If you select "latest_experimental" you will get A16.4 but as soon as A17 experimental gets released you will automatically switch to that.

If you select "None. Opt out of all betas" then you will get A16.4 but as soon as A17 stable is released you will automatically switch to that.

So if you want to get A17 experimental the moment it drops then select latest_experimental. But if you want to continue to play your current save and not accidentally load it into the A17 experimental build (which will break it) then you should select A16.4 from the list so you won't switch over to any A17 build until you're ready to manually do it yourself.

Capiche?

Looks like imma set latest_experemental then on my steam, as I love testing the new stuff. I also play dead is dead so I am quite used to starting over lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived