Should mods be removable? Pros and Cons.

Roland

Should mods be removable? Pros and Cons.  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Should mods be removable? Pros and Cons.

• Yes, we should be able to swap them in and out as we please.
    • No, they should be permanent once attached to a weapon.

Who thinks it's a great idea that you're done looking for mods once you have one set of the types you like best?

Realism vs a reason to keep playing the game? Guess who'll win that fight.

I would really like to see the whole system in place before this decision is made. As in:

- how many "tiers" of mods are there

- how easy it is to obtain the good ones

- do they loose quality with use, and if they do, can they be repaired with/without quality loss

- how significantly do they improve your firearm

- etc.

Depending on all that, I may or may not be fine with loosing one when upgrading my weapon.

As other folks have mentioned, I do not want to be in a situation where I'm better off not using a mod till I get that perfect weapon.

Frankly, if it takes two or three game weeks to find the perfect ones, I do not want to loose them period and I will mod my game to make sure I don't. If it takes on average a couple of days of looting, I don't really care either way.

Video games in general let you swap mods around as much as you want, and it has been the case in 7 Days that you could swap gun parts when you find a better part and have read the Schematic, so there's a case for that. But parts have also been specific to a type of gun. A sniper rifle barrel was never put into a hunting rifle, etc. even though they use the same ammo.

So I can see a case for "Video Game" precedent of making mods swappable at will as long as you have read the weapon schematic(know how to break down and maintain the weapon). But if the mods aren't going to be "Pistol mod", "Rifle Mod", "SMG mod" specific then I think they should have breakage chance. I don't think it's even possible in the real world to get a Pistol suppressor to work on a shotgun.

As other folks have mentioned, I do not want to be in a situation where I'm better off not using a mod till I get that perfect weapon.

This is exactly the situation I'd like to avoid. Make them rare, sure, but make them reusable. Even with durability that is a far better mechanic than hording everything until the late game just so you don't waste it. There are already too many mechanics in this game that suffer due to the RNG.

I would really like to see the whole system in place before this decision is made. As in:

- how many "tiers" of mods are there

- how easy it is to obtain the good ones

- do they loose quality with use, and if they do, can they be repaired with/without quality loss

- how significantly do they improve your firearm

- etc.

Depending on all that, I may or may not be fine with loosing one when upgrading my weapon.

Frankly, if it takes two or three game weeks to find the perfect ones, I do not want to loose them period and I will mod my game to make sure I don't. If it takes on average a couple of days of looting, I don't really care either way.

6 tiers, judging by MM's videos.

Based on level, judging by previous loot tables.

...that's all I got. =)

Well from a realism standpoint I mean how incompetent are we as survivors that we can make our own forges and smelt our own iron, etc., but we can't screw a scope on and then unscrew it afterwards? It feels right to be able to remove mods, they're mods, they are easy to attach and detach. I don't know every mod you are adding to the game so maybe you have some that would make more sense to be permanent attachments, I don't know.

From a gameplay standpoint, it depends on the availability of weapons. In previous alphas I always had way too many guns, more than I ever knew what to do with. I was selling all of my guns to the trader every inventory rotation just because I had so many. If there are still that many guns, then it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have them permanently attached because I could just find more no problem. If you do permanent attachment make sure you have some sort of dialog box confirmation so you don't accidentally ruin your guns or spend a mod you were saving.

How plentiful are the guns, when and how will they be destroyed? Do they lose quality as you repair them so as to render them useless after a while? How plentiful are the mods? What will serve as a sink for the gun and mod economy if you have too many - or will they be so rare that you won't really ever have too many?

On a personal level - I'd say the new 'color scheme' thing isn't that good. Not intuitive as the original numbering system went...

So apparently now you can find hole weapons and a possibility to find attachments.

Again on a personal level I prefer the old system where I'd have to actively look for certain parts like an AK barrel, etc. wither that be at the traitor(s) or in loot. To that old system I'd say get an expensive perk to be able to add mods...

But then again on a personal level I'd say why is this even a question or poll?!? I'd say it would be 'okay' to a degree especially with the fully automatic mod cause you're damaging the original equipment to make it auto... But a Scope? Or extended Mag? Come on!!! I mean even with a 'mod' part or what ever you want to call it = you can put that on mod anything... Illogical... There isn't a 1 trigger system fits all...

With a perk I should be able to make extended Mags as well as hollow tips, etc. Previously a bunch of people discussed 'brass catchers' - that should definitely be a mod for a weapon! In SP it isn't much of a problem till you go over +300 days... In SP it shouldn't be a problem ever. In SP on a dedi with 9 players - then it becomes problematic to even find brass!!

Personally I'd love to have the current weapon system with an ability to buy the mods... Maybe one kind (automatic) for each weapon... Oh and with the weapons in parts like they currently are... Sure 'we' stack up tonnes of parts and even whole weapons but they're traitor fodder! But with the new system we'll end up with entire weapons and mods as traitor fodder. So not much difference - just different 'things' for Traitor Fodder...

If you think about it the current system works, you can up it a bit by adding "AK-47 clip extender" or say like 2X Scope... Items you add to a 'basic' set of components that make up a 'basic weapon.' With a perk you can add more to that - the moded parts; specific parts...

If the argument to go down this route was something along the lines of 'we always end up with 10 billion parts' then the current system isn't the problem... The problem lies within the drop rate and 'time' and 'frequency.' Drop rate: How often it drops. Drop Time: in that is it approprate to drop an AK-47 to this player who has only just spawned one day ago?!? Then frequency - how long has it been since we dropped this player an AK-47...

In DDO there's a level requirement for all things... Weapons, armor, etc... There's a 'Loot table' that is looked at when a player 'wins' something via loot drop... The item dropped is within 'their level range' - bonuses to loot (tables) from player buffs are added, the level of the quest is considered and then the look up for the actual loot is performed and then the loot is dropped... How many 9 mm pistols do we all get? About 9.7 billion!!! So yeah - "we" do get a lot of parts but at least from MP on a Dedi - at some point 'parts' don't drop as often, but whole guns do drop and drop more often than parts... In SP i see that there are a decent amount of parts, but there again I see more entire weapons dropped than parts. There is at some point in both play modes where the dropping parts has and does 'drop off.'

As far as I can remember, it was about mods and upgrades.

Modifications are sights, night vision, muffler and more. Modifications can be easily removed and installed.

Upgrades are a change in the basis of weapons. Installing and removing apgrades can damage the weapon.

Is not it so?

My thoughts exactly. Any parts that are basically bolt-on should be removable.

My 2 cents are that it's well past time to allow difficulty level to influence these sorts of mechanics.

On survivalist/insane-type difficulty, mods should degrade with use, and possibly a large chunk of durability could be knocked off when you remove a mod from a weapon. Since you're essentially jury-rigging equipment that may or may not be in stable condition, that doesn't break notions of realism too much.

On nomad difficulty or the like, mods should last forever.

Like Parts you should be able to swap them out. I am VERY saddened at the removal of parts but willing to give this a chance. Being locked in to a part i add to a gun takes away even MORE customization and also takes away the point of searching for better parts.

How much content removal and motivation to keep scavenging paring can we survive? Make em swappable!

They have to be removable, and so far the poll is showing most agree.

The real question should be, "how and what happens when you remove a mod?".

I would like it to be skill based, because we need more skills that actually have relevance other than just gating stuff.

not sure what the plans are for quality, but something based on the power/advanced level of a mod would offset the skill for removing. Low teir mods can be removed easily, high tier mods have much higher chance of breaking with low skill

Off the top of my head: Make mods removable, but tie it to the Science skill. If you must, you might also have it lower durability on the parent weapon each time you remove a mod, modified by your repair/fixer skill.

If TFP decides to go the "never removable" or other harsh route, I highly recommend this feature be done via XML so players can tweak it to their taste; we won't get widespread agreement on something like this.

I replied 'Yes' but my ideal choice would have been 'It should be a server option.' Having it be an option was however missing from the poll.

Reasoning for 'It should be a server option.': As a server option, the owner of the server can customize and tweak the difficulty of their server for the players they wish to attract by enabling or disabling the option.

Secondarily I do think there should be some types of mods that once placed cannot be removed. Those special ones you'd want to save for just that right weapon or combined mod configuration. (perhaps part of the mod's configuration properties {going back to that whole server owner still being able to choose}).

This might be a great thing to make an option on making a game. But I agree with two tiers of mods, obvious bolt ones and the rifled mods that cannot be removed.

I am really looking forward to this even though I rarely use guns other than sniper rifles, it will be a bit of a subgame all its own to look for and make special weapons.

how about two types of mods

removable like silencers and scopes and mags and straps and bayonets

permanent ones like rebore the barrel for bigger calibre, add automatic function, stock mod for recoil dampening, something for accuracy... one to convert to belt feed - yeah, belt feed :-)

if we were boring enough to be sensible, an extended clip has to come out the gun in any case to be reloaded just like the vanilla...

maybe find the removable bits as loot or trader / quest reward

make the permanent ones a skill of a gun building tree- aren't we going to craft the basic gun anyways? if we are going to make it, why not improve via crafting. then if we decide we don't like it, then we make another and stick the removable bits onto it. make it expensive to craft to make it hurt your resources to do perhaps

just go with the easiest possible. Unlimited backpack space, removable super mods that make super weapons early game, hell, remove the zombies, they just get in the way of getting all the things in 5 hours of gameplay. Honestly if tfp listen to the majority, this game is going to turn into a gun version of minecraft, but easier.

thank you

Mods should be removable. Without chance to broke. Did all of you guys talking that it make game too easy play Starvation mod with weapon attachments? And you still think its easy to fully grade your weapon with attachments? You miss two things:

- attachments are uncraftable, and they are hard to get

- there are TONS of other things to do in game, and weapon management is of course important part, but not major part.

It should be both.

Cheap mods that can maybe be build and swapped with a low 10% chance to break

Rare mods that be found or buyed with a medium chance to break (50%?)

Epic mods that can only be found with a High chance to break (>75%)

If the code dont allow that i would say give it all 60% chance to break. Means a bit worse than 50/50

I replied 'Yes' but my ideal choice would have been 'It should be a server option.' Having it be an option was however missing from the poll.

Reasoning for 'It should be a server option.': As a server option, the owner of the server can customize and tweak the difficulty of their server for the players they wish to attract by enabling or disabling the option.

This is getting out of hand and we have to realize that not everything can be an option. Plus I am of the opinion that giving the players too many options can make them ruin their gameplay experience themselves.

There are basically four ways this can work:

1) Mods can be freely removed from one gun and put on a different gun.

2) Mods on a gun can be replaced with a better/different mod; but you don't get the old one back - it's lost.

3) Mods are permanently fixed once applied, and can neither be removed nor replaced.

4) It varies from mod to mod. some are transferrable and others are fixed.

From a realism point of view, it "makes sense" that mods can be removed; at least most of them. So option 4 is probably the most "realistic" option.

However, this should be trumped by gameplay considerations - is it better for the game if you can remove mods or if you're stuck with them and need to get a new gun if you want to put something better on?

I know that for people like me who can't stand permanently using up resources, if mods were permanent I'd probably never want to put them on, knowing that I couldn't remove/replace them later. So my preference would definitely be for option 1.

This is getting out of hand and we have to realize that not everything can be an option. Plus I am of the opinion that giving the players too many options can make them ruin their gameplay experience themselves.

You're right this is getting out of hand when people claim others are ruining their gameplay because they don't want to play how someone else (you) say they should and get enjoyment from playing in a manner (you) say they should not. It is a good thing they have you to tell them that they are not and will not be enjoying their experience and would be ruining it if they get to play the way they would like.

For those of us with issues understanding you, please explain how a server owner setting a value in server config for themselves and the players who choose to play on that server ruins the fun for them if that is how they would like to play? If they enjoy playing in a particular style, please explain how they are ruining their enjoyment. Take the example below and explain, please, that I might understand.

Example: if the default is Yes/Removable, and a server owner sets the server config to No/NotRemovable. Then people purposefully seek out and join said server. Please explain how they've ruined their enjoyment by choosing to play how they wanted? This way everyone can better understand you.

If it will be realized as option, Im pretty sure all popular servers make attachments fully removable, and of course announced this feature in description like "New recipes! Increased stacks sizes! Removable attachments!"

P.S. I'd played on server where admin in one time decided to make changes for weapon and tools repairment, and make it A15 style - quality loses on repairs. And there begins endless tons of complains, from beginner and high leveled players. And this was only few points quality loss, imagine now how many complains begins when they lose rare attachment.

Archived