MD5

gilean23

Platform: XB1

Game Type: Splitscreen

Map Type: Navezgane

Seed/Save Name: N/A

Disk or Digital: Digital

DLC: None

Character: Hank (player 1) / Maria (player 2)

Difficulty: Scavenger (I think... whatever the easiest one is)

Run: Always walk

Aggression: Normal

Day length: 18 hours

Drop On Death: Toolbelt

Enemy memory: 30 seconds

Enemy Spawning: Low

Block durability: 100

Loot respawn time: 5 Days

Loot abundance: 200

Airdrops: daily

24 hour cycle: 120 Min

In-game Day: 83

Our base is the forge house on the northeast shore of the large lake in western Navezgane.

We had been playing approximately 50 minutes when we crashed to the home screen right as I walked up to our forge. I don't recall for sure if I opened the forge before the crash or if I was still just about to do so, bit I don't think I had opened it yet. Immediately after the crash, I deleted my local save file per the current advice in these forums, then relaunched the game and came back in to find we'd had an MD5 anyway.

The area of effect of the MD5 was a large area immediately behind and to the right of my character. The forge immediately in front of me was unaffected, but we did lose our workbench (which was idle) and our chem station (which was making 10 fertilizer at the time of the crash). I would estimate the are of effect as a square approximately 10-15 meters per side.

My wife (playing Maria) was nowhere near the base at the time. She was still returning from a scavenging run to Perishton.

You need to turn the console off immediately and unplug it so it can’t write to cloud. Then when you start the console back up delete the the local saved games. That forces it to resync and reload your cloud game which technically should be before the MD5 error. My last 2 crashes I forgot to unplug my XBox and it will still write to the cloud (you can hear the console run). I lost separate portions of my base a two minibikes. An important tip: try to spread out your workbenches and forges. If you mine, don’t do it right under your base. Dig down to bedrock then tunnel away from the base a good distance then make a few rooms for you workspaces. Trust me, thru trial and error and 18 MD5 errors that took my whole base. Hope this help. Lots of luck.

Wildangel55

Hi Gilean23,

Thank you for taking the time to give me as much information as possible about the MD5 error you experienced. I am sorry that such a large area was hit. Thank you also for describing in detail the error in relation to your character, I had seen another player last week mention that their MD5 errors always seem to effect the area behind them. Others are often in them.

Hopefully the information wildangel55 gave (thank you wildangel55!) will help you avoid future MD5 errors. That player found workaround does seem to work on the basis that you are fighting against how fast the XB1 can sync data to the cloud.

Clare

You need to turn the console off immediately and unplug it so it can’t write to cloud. Then when you start the console back up delete the the local saved games. That forces it to resync and reload your cloud game which technically should be before the MD5 error. My last 2 crashes I forgot to unplug my XBox and it will still write to the cloud (you can hear the console run). I lost separate portions of my base a two minibikes. An important tip: try to spread out your workbenches and forges. If you mine, don’t do it right under your base. Dig down to bedrock then tunnel away from the base a good distance then make a few rooms for you workspaces. Trust me, thru trial and error and 18 MD5 errors that took my whole base. Hope this help. Lots of luck.

Wildangel55

Thanks for the additional info, Wildangel. It seems then that the best thing to do when there's a crash would be to pull out my network cable first, then shut down and pull power to clear cache, followed by deleting my save files. I hadn't been pulling the network or power cables, and that hopefully is where I've been going wrong.

Thanks for the additional info, Wildangel. It seems then that the best thing to do when there's a crash would be to pull out my network cable first, then shut down and pull power to clear cache, followed by deleting my save files. I hadn't been pulling the network or power cables, and that hopefully is where I've been going wrong.

It should help, the key is not letting the XBox write to the cloud which it can sometimes do even if you force shutdown the console. Even with the power light off, I could still hear the hard drive working and sure enough it was writing to the cloud. I had an MD5 error when I started back up. Another thing you can do is break up building time or just restart your console every couple of hours. For some reason it does not like a lot of change at one time and seems to pick on storage and workbenches. I really like this game so I just keep trying to figure out ways to play without so many MD5 errors.

Archived