Major problem with Multiplayer / PVP - YOU CANT TELL ANYONE APART!!!

GloriousKZ

Fact: 1. Everyone looks almost exactly the same. 2. You can't see anyone's name over their head until you're 5 feet from their ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ face. This makes huge problems for PvP environments where you are trying to distinguish friendlies from hostiles. As far as I'm concerned this is a game-breaking issue. You need to be able to read a player's name from any distance as long as you can put your cursor over them to know who the hell they are, or how are you supposed to know whether or not you want to kill them? As characters become more customizable (if that ever happens), that will also help. But for now it should be a high priority issue to fix being unable to ID anyone from a distance. Thanks.

I'm learning more about the pvp community in another thread, but just had a question... how do you balance being able to Id someone from far away against sneaking up on your enemy? My admittedly uneducated thoughts... first, if they're shooting at you, shoot back. Secondly, a reputation system developed around pvp kills and zombie assists. When you do see them, be able to check their credentials, so to speak. Call it word of mouth (I heard you were dangerous, or I hard you were a nice guy). When you die, your claim block gets destroyed (you or anyone can place a new one); that should give enough reason NOT to indiscriminately get ino a shooting match for no reason (along with drop everything), yet would allow the true sadists to continue their path of destruction, since they're not likely to care about building any way. ...but for all I know there's already a system in place.

Currently, one way of knowing whether someone is friendly or not is to simply add them to your friends list and track their movements. Those aren't on your friends list won't appear on the map and should simply be shot on sight for sneaking up on you without making his close presence known in chat. Though I think a text above the head is kind of cheap as a solution. In a perfect game, having the option of over 15+ characters with different clothes would probably be a much better solution.

I will agree, not being able to tell players apart encourages kos (kill on sight) behaviour. I don't know if character customization will be enough to prevent that. It would have to be quite the customization system. In real life we have all kinds of cues about a person's identity from a distance. The way they walk, the way they stand, their body profile. I don't realistically expect the game to tackle that kind of a project. Maybe when we get our character levels, we can make our guy get better eyesight that sees the nametag faster? Maybe players who've been in contact more would recognize each other easier? It shouldn't be too hard to automate something like that just for nametag reading.

[QUOTE=7daysguy;138291]I will agree, not being able to tell players apart encourages kos (kill on sight) behaviour. I don't know if character customization will be enough to prevent that. It would have to be quite the customization system. In real life we have all kinds of cues about a person's identity from a distance. The way they walk, the way they stand, their body profile. I don't realistically expect the game to tackle that kind of a project. Maybe when we get our character levels, we can make our guy get better eyesight that sees the nametag faster? Maybe players who've been in contact more would recognize each other easier? It shouldn't be too hard to automate something like that just for nametag reading.[/QUOTE] KoS behaviour is encouraged by paranoia...and not by someone looking too much alike a friend or a foe. In fact, showing name tags from a further afar would mean that PvP initiates from a longer distance ...resulting in more "easy" kills from a distance than new friendships. When was the last time you saw someone from 500m distance and thought..."That is surely John Smith...he is putting all his weight on the back on his foot while shifting his shoulder slightly to the right" ? And how does keen eyesight allow mind reading (which is the only way to extract ones personal info without them giving it to you)? The reality of the situation is that there are a lot of people that dress like John Smith and it would be easy to mix him up with another dude wearing similar clothes. Were John Smith to come in closer to you...the details you mentioned would start becoming apparent. And that is exactly what happens right now...the nametag plays the part of all the things you notice when someone [U]whom you haven't spent thousands of hours with[/U] comes close enough for you to distinguish individual behaviour, facial characteristics etc etc. The issue that needs to be fixed is the lack of choices when it comes to your characters starting looks. 5 heads with 5 shirts , 5 pants , 5 shoes and 5 hats allow for 3.125 different combinations to be made. More than enough to make everyone in a server feel "unique" and varied enough for groups of people to pick a combination as their "team outfit" without a huge chance of being lookalikes of random players.

Showing a nametag at least at moderate distance would probably help a bit. As to not make seeing name tags at a distance exploitable, there are certain measures. An easy way is if the character is obstructed or sneaking, you don't see the name tag, as that would give away their location and be like giving a radar. You could also give it a reasonable range, and have to "focus", as in if you aren't looking directly at them, you won't see a nametag. Another way to improve nametags could be to have it so those on your friends list are easily identified, but you won't see other players nametags so easily.

[QUOTE=Fox;138277]Currently, one way of knowing whether someone is friendly or not is to simply add them to your friends list and track their movements. Those aren't on your friends list won't appear on the map and should simply be shot on sight for sneaking up on you without making his close presence known in chat. Though I think a text above the head is kind of cheap as a solution. In a perfect game, having the option of over 15+ characters with different clothes would probably be a much better solution.[/QUOTE] Putting people on your friends list is a terrible idea first of all because it gives them complete access to everything you own (that's another problem - you should have more control over what your friends can and cannot do, on a per-friend basis). Second, even with customizable characters you still won't really know who people are unless you're already familiar with that character and they haven't changed outfits/whatever since you last saw them. And third, I envision it not as names floating around ALL the time but only if you put your cursor over the person i.e. they are in your line of sight and you are already looking at them.

Make friends shape go slightly [COLOR="#00FF00"]glow green.[/COLOR] You'll be easier to follow them and in a fight you know who NOT to aim for. If you go hiking with your best friend, he goes a bit ahead of you, and gets attacked, you know for sure, who he is! So green glowing would not be that crazy as it seems at first. And no, definetly NO red glowing for enemies. They shouldnt be easier to be spottet. Neither should they have nametags. "is that a bush or a person over there? Oh... It has a nametag, shoot it! " // a little bit like this: [attachment=95:name] We had this problem often, when we worked with 4 or 5 friends on a pvp server, trying to get our base done. Suddenly 2 were running into our base, which were NOT friends of us. But it took us quite 20 seconds to recognize that even with teamspeak on.

[QUOTE=Anaphylaxis;138473]Make friends shape go slightly [COLOR="#00FF00"]glow green.[/COLOR] [/QUOTE] That's a pretty good idea but there's still the problem of friends having total access to everything you own. I really need to be able to choose which friends can and can't add on my claims, destroy blocks in my claims, place claims near or within my claims, see my home, and track me. Each needs to be a separate option you can set for each friend, depending on how much you trust that individual.

[QUOTE=DW420;138329] When was the last time you saw someone from 500m distance and thought..."That is surely John Smith...he is putting all his weight on the back on his foot while shifting his shoulder slightly to the right" ?\[/QUOTE] It's something you do every day whether you are conscious of it or not :p. Anyways nametag reading isn't supposed to be realistic, it's just a way to simulate how we recognize people as they get closer, but we can recognize people we know from a long ways off. They don't have to be your friend though, you can recognize someone from work that you hate just as easily as a friend because you have spent a lot of time with them. I really don't think adding people to a friend list is a solution. There are lots of people in life who we recognize even if they are not friends. There's lots of people in the game who I don't want to kill but I don't want them on my friend list either. I will also disagree with you that seeing nametags from a distance encourages more kos. I play in a busy server where there are always new faces. I'm willing to give anyone a chance at first, especially if they are new cause they will have crappy items and probably be bad at pvp. Then again there are certain players I always know to avoid. Just saying.

The only colors anyone with sense would wear on a PVP server would be camouflage, or failing that the closest thing to olive drab available. So I'd like to see a wide variety of useful (no pink) camo colors and designs, new and old, to choose from, including plain old olive drab. And failing all that let us mod and share our own modded outfits that will work on any server.

Anyway, what prevents kill on sight is communication. The chat window is often not fast enough to get across that one is nearby, is anybody home, is friendly, is passing through, doesn't want any trouble, nor especially to get the response that no, you need to leave the area now or I'll shoot you. For one thing the chat window is broken. Noobs don't know that you have to hit "t" as soon as possible after you log in in order to reset the chat window so I end up with players on my server who cannot be communicated with in any way. The voice chat was a good start until it too broke and now many people don't have it activated and I for one, and I suspect others too, feel a little shy about using it. And again, noobs have no idea it even exists. ____ We need a "friendly but not friends" label for folks who are new and harmless or experienced and peaceful that doesn't give them free access to our keystone protected areas. It shouldn't track them either unless they're close by. ______ How about a warning that pops up when we near someone who's not a friend or acquaintance? Then voice chat comes on automatically allowing for unfettered communication. Or you can just label yourself when you make your character. I'm "good", "neutral" or "evil". Good people are auto added to your friendly but harmless list and show as green when nearby. When you near someone evil, or someone evil has you in their scope or sights a red warning message appears and you should run the other way if you don't want to fight. Your self-label can be altered by your in-game actions. If you shoot first then you nudge toward evil. If you kill on sight or from a distance then you turn evil.

[QUOTE=Linx77;138285]Character customization is coming soon. Problem solved[/QUOTE] Yeah, because your friend in complete iron armor and mining helmet will look totally different from the enemy in complete iron armor and mining helmet. Oh, you meant things like eye and hair color? Yeah, this will definitely help at more than 5 meters away...

This is the apocalypse. Shoot first and ask questions later. Should the worse happen, do not try to get in any local military bunkers you may know about. They have orders to shoot to kill. I have seen a lot of Dayz videos and often friends tell each other to hit the dirt or roll, because someone doesn't know who they are looking at.

I agree with most against long range name tags. However, I can see where some might want and/or like it. Solution: Server option for name tag show distance. The only problem will be the eventual hacks to show nametag at max range regardless.

It is pretty realistic in my opinion, you wouldn't be able to tell somebody's name from afar. And from what i have seen, TFP is going for realism wherever they can get it. Green glow = not realistic at all Different outfits/looks = best way to solve this issue. A unique avatar or dyed clothing would be a great indicator. I hope they do introduce more clothing options that actually display on the avatar, then we will be able to tell friend from foe.

Archived