Please Help PC Gaming Noob

Skarfayce

I have never played a game on PC, except Oregon Trail if that counts, but I think I'm ready to make the move. But I'm wondering if the laptop I have is good enough to run 7DTD and the mods (not sure if mods change anything). Please see the link below. I have read the recommendations on steam, but again I'm a noob to most things PC so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid it may be low on memory. Thanks in advance!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-8gb-hybrid-hard-drive-black/5709801.p?skuId=5709801

Laptops often have heat issues while gaming, as well as stability issues while gaming (since laptops are designed for portability, not so much for pushing the limits with gaming)... but if you can get passed that, then that laptop should be able to handle the game somewhere between low - medium graphics settings.

Thanks everyone for the the replies! I'm glad to say that last night I made the change over and it seems to run fine on my laptop. But I haven't yet tried any mods. Interested in Darkness Falls or Valmod; hopefully they run on my machine!

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind still giving me a hand. I noticed that the smell (no nose icon) isn't working, I read that it was a bug and turned off. Is this still the case, or am I not on the most recent version? Also I've seen people on youtube checking game stages while in game, how do I do that? Please bare with me, again I'm SUPER new to PC gaming. (so much so that I'm sad to say I played with my Xbox1 controller last night, but I do plan on learning to use the keyboard and mouse)

Again, thanks in advanced!

Yes, zombie smell is broken in the current (A16) version. The zombie AI in general is pretty brain dead in this version, but that's supposed to be addressed in A17.

You can get to the game console by pressing the F1 key. Press again to exit the console. There are a lot of commands available, but to see your current gamestage, type "gamestage" without the quotes and hit enter.

Since you said you're new to PCs: When you're in the game, and need to look something up on the web, press the Alt key and the Tab key at the same time to switch between programs. The game won't stop when you do that unless you've already paused it. Sorry if you already knew this :smile-new:.

Yes, zombie smell is broken in the current (A16) version. The zombie AI in general is pretty brain dead in this version, but that's supposed to be addressed in A17.

You can get to the game console by pressing the F1 key. Press again to exit the console. There are a lot of commands available, but to see your current gamestage, type "gamestage" without the quotes and hit enter.

Since you said you're new to PCs: When you're in the game, and need to look something up on the web, press the Alt key and the Tab key at the same time to switch between programs. The game won't stop when you do that unless you've already paused it. Sorry if you already knew this :smile-new:.

ColdSteelRain,

Thank you so much! I did not know that. I appreciate any and all advise!

Happy to help.

Not sure if you knew this or not, but if you highlight a word or phrase on a web page (left-click and drag the mouse over the text), then right click, one of the options will be to search the web (or Ask Cortana). That comes in handy when you aren't quite sure what someone is talking about.

Now to go turn some zombies into fertilizer...

Now you've done it... Now your hooked! Now you'll have to upgrade your ram to at least 16GB! :)

If you find the game tough - then Valmod will be a good starting point. If you find it easy - then I would suggest either Starvation or War of the Walkers.

Archived