Computer Rebooting 2 mins into a game

Dreadknott45

I just started getting back into 7dtd and all of a sudden this game is causing my computer to reboot out of nowhere about 2 mins into the game. I was able to play for hours before, now all of a sudden its doing this 2 mins into the game. I have read that there was alot of issues all the way back to Alpha 15 with it but was not able to find a solution that has worked for me. I have Upgraded all my drivers, validated files (found 40 missing), then I even reinstalled 7dtd. Still no luck. The server im trying to log into is runnning Valmod and this is the same server I have played on for hours before. Even so, loading a singleplayer world with no mods, my game still crashes. My computer specs are a I5-6500 Processor, 16gb of ddr4 ram, 500gb hard drive (lots of room still), and a 1070ti. Here is my last recorded log : https://pastebin.com/Gpc1QHeV . Please if anyone knows of a solution I have not tried or knows why it is happening I would love to be able to play again.

I am having the same issue, the only difference is my PC restarts between 1 second and 30 minutes in game. I made sure all my drivers were up-to-date, and I have narrowed it down to my GPU overheating. I have cleaned my rig of dust just in case I was having air flow issues, and I toned down my video settings as well as running my GPU fan at 100%. Changing the settings and running the fans helped but my rig still restarts no matter what.

I am running a Core i7-5930K, GTX 1080, ASUS Sabertooth X99, 32GB DDR4 in a Coolermaster Cosmos II case. The CPU is water cooled everything else is air cooled but with the size of my case air cooling is more than enough. Plus my room is a bit on the cool side. This is the only game I am having overheating problems in, I can play PUBG, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Call of Duty WWII with no problem for hours. Lastly this problem only started on Sunday, I don't remember the game updating recently but I wasn't really looking, I haven't made any changes (hardware or software) in the past few weeks and I updated my video driver a week or 2 ago. So I don't think anything on my system is causing the issue.

This has happened to me in the past. In my case, it turned out to be the cpu over heating because of dust buildup in the cpu heatsink. 3/4 of the cpu heat sink fins were plugged with dust. I vacuumed the cpu heat sink, problem solved. Pop the cover off of your case and manually inspect the cpu heat sink, and make sure fan is moving and the fins are clean. Check the video card fan as well, cause if that fan stops, same thing will happen. Likewise fan in power supply, and any other fans in the case.

From there, there are many things that can cause it, from a flaky power supply to poorly seated cpu heat sink to bad memory. You might get a hardware burn/diag program and run it. Run memtst and check memory. And if you are using Windows, all bets are off because Windows can pull a hard reset just because today is the fourth Tuesday of an even month and you farted twice before noon - that is about all it takes to get Windows to barf it seems....there are so many things that can go wrong with Windows that sometimes it takes a clean reinstall just to get things stable again. Which is why I now use LInux but that is another story...if all else fails and you just can't get it stable and you are positive the hardware is good, consider a windows reinstall. YMMV...

FWIW, I never update video drivers. I've been working with computers for over 30 years and rarely have I seen a driver update fix anything. I have, however, seen newer drivers cause problems that the old ones did not, and for that reason I usually stick with tried and true older drivers until the new one has been out for a while.

I've also seen two defective video cards in just the last few months, and both were causing crashes and stability problems. Replaced the video card, problem solved. That one is really tough to diagnose, because so many things can cause crashing and stability problem, and bad video cards are rare.

A notable exception to driver problems was the realtek nic driver they released last year with an overflow bug. Had to update the driver to fix nic problems, but like I said, fixing things with drivers updates is really rare.

I had the same problem with the game from the 16.3

Before never happended but with this vertion many problem.

Sometimes reboot after 1 minute or 2 or 20 second ....

My solution was put the mod legacy from Subquake. So perhaps a pb with the mod you try to play with your config...

I have : 16G ddr4 - gtx 1070 6go et i7 4ghz .

What's the temperatures like on both your GPU and CPU while playing or stress testing?

Have you done a ram stress test yet? https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

Which OS are you playing the game with?

Do you have anything running in the background that might interact / conflict with the game, like RivaTuner, FRAPS, or anything that monitors FPS or temps?

PC restarting unexpectedly is not good. Disable the auto-restart on BSOD and see if you get any codes. Also check the system logs.

Typically that's a sign that there is either a bad driver, or a hardware issue.

Since this game stresses your hardware more than any other, it tends to find things that may not have been noticed otherwise.

PC restarting unexpectedly is not good. Disable the auto-restart on BSOD and see if you get any codes. Also check the system logs.

When a computer restarts, it's usually because the computer is trying to save itself from something really bad from happening. Disabling that feature might not be such a good idea, especially if it relates to heat.

You can also check your event viewer to see what kind of errors have popped up recently. For Windows 7, it's located in Control Panel under Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. In the tab section, open Custom Views, then Administrative Events. You'll see a large list of errors and warnings which is normal for everyone as not everything is coded perfectly, but there should be some that pop out as related to the restarts.

I meant the windows option to auto-restart after a dump. Sometimes data collection is so fast you don't actually see the blue screen. If it's a thermal issue, the Bios should override and shut the system off. Thermal issues usually lead to shutdown, instead of a reboot.

I agree you should never disable the shutdown in Bios.

Oh ok, that works. Though in my experience, BSOD usually comes up with a lot of gibberish in which only the programmers can understand which means a lot of the times you have to write it down and then reboot, then google. I prefer event logs, cuz I don't need to write it down (saving me from all that hassle), just copy the error and google them to find out exactly where the issue is.

I've rarely got anything useful from a BSOD. I once had a bad cpu, and the BSOD was gibberish, and the event log entries told me nothing. Booted to Linux, and within 90 seconds I had a kernel panic that not only told me it was a bad cpu, but what exactly in the cpu was bad. Sometimes it's worth using a live Linux CD to boot and stress a system, you might get more meaningful log entries.

I've rarely got anything useful from a BSOD. I once had a bad cpu, and the BSOD was gibberish, and the event log entries told me nothing. Booted to Linux, and within 90 seconds I had a kernel panic that not only told me it was a bad cpu, but what exactly in the cpu was bad. Sometimes it's worth using a live Linux CD to boot and stress a system, you might get more meaningful log entries.

Nice, +1 for Linux then.

Generally when a PC starts rebooting there's a serious hardware failure eminent... What I used to do in the shop was to start pulling things, starting with 'other cards' not in a 'normal' setup. Then video and reroute it through mb, then audio then to the HD's and eventually to the ram - one stick at a time... Then swapping the slots they occupy... Sometimes you can isolate them sometimes not.

Yes logs are the best, but sometimes as with BSOD's they don't actually tell you what's going on. I'll take any info I can get! Even pulling things may not solve the issue especially when it's multiple systems failures... Sometimes nothing helps.

The weirdest one I had was Windows 3.0 box a Designer from Boeing came in and said that the system doesn't shut down.

Nothing to indicate anything was wrong with it except that the system didn't shut down! I finally found it was the SoundBlaster card that was causing it. All the Settings in the BIOS and the settings for the card and everything else - IRQ ports, DMA Channels, etc. were all correct and fine... Pull the card and it would shut down... Put it back in... Nope! Even re-configuring the ports and channels and everything else, it would work fine but would not shut down. The guy was about to get out with a $125 bill for the time and a new sound card... Then the next morning the owner said:"Watch this... I'm gonna sell him a $2000.00 system!" He came in shortly and the owner told him it wasn't ready yet. I knew I couldn't work there nor have my name associated with this... Company or this person. I told the designer but he didn't think twice about it...

Generally when a PC starts rebooting there's a serious hardware failure eminent... What I used to do in the shop was to start pulling things, starting with 'other cards' not in a 'normal' setup. Then video and reroute it through mb, then audio then to the HD's and eventually to the ram - one stick at a time... Then swapping the slots they occupy... Sometimes you can isolate them sometimes not.

Yes logs are the best, but sometimes as with BSOD's they don't actually tell you what's going on. I'll take any info I can get! Even pulling things may not solve the issue especially when it's multiple systems failures... Sometimes nothing helps.

The weirdest one I had was Windows 3.0 box a Designer from Boeing came in and said that the system doesn't shut down.

Nothing to indicate anything was wrong with it except that the system didn't shut down! I finally found it was the SoundBlaster card that was causing it. All the Settings in the BIOS and the settings for the card and everything else - IRQ ports, DMA Channels, etc. were all correct and fine... Pull the card and it would shut down... Put it back in... Nope! Even re-configuring the ports and channels and everything else, it would work fine but would not shut down. The guy was about to get out with a $125 bill for the time and a new sound card... Then the next morning the owner said:"Watch this... I'm gonna sell him a $2000.00 system!" He came in shortly and the owner told him it wasn't ready yet. I knew I couldn't work there nor have my name associated with this... Company or this person. I told the designer but he didn't think twice about it...

Or you can just run an actual test program which does a thorough scan of all hardware which is a more reliable and much faster method. Removing and re-inserting things can sometimes temporarily fix the issue which confuses things. Hiren's Boot CD is what I use when things aren't right with the hardware.

Hirens boot CD has been a staple of mine since he first released. I usually have that and a Kali (originally BackTrack) Linux CD. Though truly now they are on USB sticks instead of CD's.

Between the two of those, I can troubleshoot/recover almost anything.

It's kind of interesting how active this topic has been without word back from the OP.

<snip>...The weirdest one I had was Windows 3.0 box a Designer from Boeing came in and said that the system doesn't shut down.

Phhht Windows 3.x through Windows 98 didn't shut down half the time anyhow lol!

I used to work as an auto mechanic. At one shop, the boss would tell me to leave the car in the garage for an extra half hour so we could charge the customer more money. I did not stay at the job for long, I just can't do that. So yea, I totally relate.

Phhht Windows 3.x through Windows 98 didn't shut down half the time anyhow lol!

I used to work as an auto mechanic. At one shop, the boss would tell me to leave the car in the garage for an extra half hour so we could charge the customer more money. I did not stay at the job for long, I just can't do that. So yea, I totally relate.

I learned my lesson after trying to get my electrical problem dealt with at the dealership where I bought my brand new motorcycle from... if you want something done right (and not be charged an arm and leg for increased damage instead of repair, even though it was still under warranty), then do it yourself.

Hirens boot CD has been a staple of mine since he first released.

I've been using it for I think 15 years myself. I still have one of the older versions, Hiren's 9.5, which contains programs not on the latest ones, which is the only reason why I keep it.

Archived