Quality Joe still OP?

ShadexDemarr

My community and I ran a server for about a year and in each instance we found the Quality Joe perk to be pretty much game destroying. Once someone maxed the perk which most would do as soon as possible, crafting was pretty much pointless. Before you knew it, anything someone opened was pooping out QL 500 items regularly and now with the workstation combine no one bothers to make anything that can be looted. Just wait until people find something and completely bypass to end game firearms and armor. We are back now for A16 to take another look and was curious if others are finding similar results.

I'm playing on MP high populated servers, and I noticed next: 9 of 10 players do not learn Scavenging and Quality Joe perks, they max craft perks and craft items, not loot them. Guess Quality Joe is ok.

P.S. A17 diary:

+Replacing old skill system with a more robust and optimized framework, also designed to work with items and buffs.

+Character attributes added to better create classes and differentiate play styles.

So lets just wait for A17 changes

I'm playing on MP high populated servers, and I noticed next: 9 of 10 players do not learn Scavenging and Quality Joe perks, they max craft perks and craft items, not loot them. Guess Quality Joe is ok.

I don't usually bother much with Quality Joe for the simple reason that 90% of what you find is trash anyway, and having rating 500 trash is no better than having rating 100 trash.

I'd much rather spend my points on crafting skills so I can make exactly the items I want at a reasonable quality than rely on the RNG to give me those items at high quality.

It's not cheap or OP, but you can divide the game into two parts, before QJ(max) and after.

Depending on your loot respawn rule, there are many types of container that are not sensible to loot until your QJ is maxed. There is no other perk in the game that is so required for basic gameplay other than Sex Rex.

Honestly, I used it more in A15.

In A16 I find loot so underwhelming, and high GS makes looting just annoying with rad cops spawning in every other toilet and shed and wrecking POI's, that getting some extra quality on found items doesn't really do much for me.

A bit of a pity though. I hope A17 brings back the exploration game, but that requires bumping/balancing loot better, and stopping the sleeper GS from going so high, AND stopping sleeper zombies from thrashing POI's from the inside when they do. I loot one building, and the ones next to it have sleepers go insane and punch holes in the buildings until it's swiss cheese.

/V - BUILD a Floating Drawbridge Base

He's been prolific on the forums, and he writes up a heck of a bug report. But calling him OP, game destroying, or asking for him to be removed sounds pretty harsh!

...Oh wait, that's Quality Assurance Joe.

Carry on.

You post ~that~ and yet wouldn't add "Breast Size" to the list of priorities in your new Zombie Development Priorities, Part II poll?!?

Roland has surely corrupted you.

-Morloc

It's not cheap or OP, but you can divide the game into two parts, before QJ(max) and after.

Depending on your loot respawn rule, there are many types of container that are not sensible to loot until your QJ is maxed. There is no other perk in the game that is so required for basic gameplay other than Sex Rex.

Required for basic game play? I never buy it past the first tier and rarely then.

Required for basic game play? I never buy it past the first tier and rarely then.

I guess you don't really scavenge then? I suppose that the current state of traders makes scavenging somewhat unnecessary, but I would say scavenging is an element of core gameplay, whereas traders are not.

Would you level up your QJ if there were no traders in the game/did you before traders were in the game?

I guess you don't really scavenge then? I suppose that the current state of traders makes scavenging somewhat unnecessary, but I would say scavenging is an element of core gameplay, whereas traders are not.

Would you level up your QJ if there were no traders in the game/did you before traders were in the game?

I've been playing now without traders or dukes in the game and I still don't buy QJ. Never really felt that the bonus it gives is really relevant, especially with workbenches and their combine ability. I also don't use guns so that may also be why I've never felt the need for QJ.

same for me only i dont mess with xml modding, i just dont use traders... plus a couple of them hurt my feelings talking mean to me. :)

bow/crossbow and spike club are the weapons of my choice. only scavenging i do is birds nests for feathers and eggs.

my game style is to survive, not worry about selling crap for money that does no good to a single nomad so no.... QJ is useless to me.

I've been playing now without traders or dukes in the game and I still don't buy QJ. Never really felt that the bonus it gives is really relevant, especially with workbenches and their combine ability. I also don't use guns so that may also be why I've never felt the need for QJ.

same for me only i dont mess with xml modding, i just dont use traders... plus a couple of them hurt my feelings talking mean to me. :)

bow/crossbow and spike club are the weapons of my choice. only scavenging i do is birds nests for feathers and eggs.

my game style is to survive, not worry about selling crap for money that does no good to a single nomad so no.... QJ is useless to me.

So I guess you guys max out your weapon/tool crafting skills ASAP?

Yes, I usually advance those skills as quickly as I can.

I don't like being forced to go that route. I throw points in to get those to a respectable level (green crafts), but by that time I usually have enough scavenging to buy QJ and start looting higher value targets. I also refuse to spend points on anything you can level by doing, so there's a bit of a voluntary gate on QJ for me.

With the way I play, it feels balanced to me, but considering that some folks probably throw all their early points in scavenging/QJ to have them maxed ASAP, then beeline for Shotgun Messiah...

It probably needs a tweak.

I would much rather make it than buy it or find it, generally.

Once this thing solidifies to a point that I can mod to a stable platform I'll be making a "build it all yourself" mod that has no traders, no dukes, a lot more workstations (with workstation mods), and a lot more material/component choices for crafting (like why cant you make some barbed wire and upgrade a standard club to a barbed club or combine with nails to make a spiked club?).

There probably won't be any guns or electricity but I will be getting creative with arrows and bolts as well as larger versions like ballista and even catapults if I can (though not sure if the engine will support something like the latter). If I can I'll bring back crafting skill-ups but put limits on each item so spam crafting becomes less effective.

Yes, Q Joe is still OP. Needs to be removed from vanilla or at least make very expensive in skill point cost.

Or ya know, just don't take the perk? easy solution for now. or you can spend 30 seconds to edit the perk/skill point cost yourself, its very easy to do.

You post ~that~ and yet wouldn't add "Breast Size" to the list of priorities in your new Zombie Development Priorities, Part II poll?!?

Roland has surely corrupted you.

-Morloc

You see, I'm hilarious, because it's called Quality Joe but we also have this QA tester whose...

Sigh. Nobody liked my meme, either. Better luck next joke. :bored:

You're not the only one who is offended by those salty traders. I know someone who visits the traders simply to open the doors and leave them open...so the z's can get them. (Shout out to Trader Bob for not being an ass).

I find Secret Stash as OP as QJ and think both could use some tweaking. But as others have stated, I focus on Tool and Weapon Smithing perks so as not to be at the mercy of RNG. I don't use guns early game and only on horde nights later game so QJ is not high on my perk priority list. Crossbow and Spiked Club are also my favourite weapons...until I come across an Irradiated Cop, of course :smile-new:

"Location, Location, Location!" The realtor agents mantra applies here.

I still say: Get rid of the Quality Joe perk and make loot and threats increase by location. Start in the middle where its an easy zone. The further out toward the edges you go, the greater the danger AND loot is.

A great adventure instead of a perk!

Archived