7DTD (Sphereii) Mod Launcher

Yamamoto80

Hi Everyone!

Quick question for anyone who can help-

I've been using the Mod Launcher for a few weeks and love all of the predesignated mods available, but I'm kinda stuck on one thing. I know that advanced mode creates a completely independent copy of the original Vanilla game to keep mods completely separate. I don't understand simple mode though. It says that the files are swapped in and out but in my experience this hasn't been the case...?

For example, the first thing I did with the launcher was start playing War of the Walkers mod (which is insanely fun btw). But when I went to try and play CBmod, it would continually launch War of the Walkers. I thought that it loaded the mod files and swapped them for you from mod to mod?

The same thing happened when wanting to use the SMX UI in the mod launcher. I tried out the SMX and (attempted) SMX2 but it would load the first regardless. I even downloaded the SMX under advanced, relaunched my vanilla Multi-player game, and it started me with a new character, and when I try to play that file through steam (unmodded) I can't access my original character :(

That said, I'm a tad bit confused and flustered with the launcher as I don't want to have multiple instances of the game installed since I have to manually copy and paste edited XML files when my friends want to play a Vanilla Co-Op game. If someone could explain to me how to use the simple vs advanced function on the launcher I would appreciate it very much!

~~~TL-DR~~~~

I don't understand how the Simple setting in the launcher works as it continually loads the same mod regardless of what I choose, and I would prefer to not have multiple instances of the game installed (like in advanced).

Hi Everyone!

Quick question for anyone who can help-

I've been using the Mod Launcher for a few weeks and love all of the predesignated mods available, but I'm kinda stuck on one thing. I know that advanced mode creates a completely independent copy of the original Vanilla game to keep mods completely separate. I don't understand simple mode though. It says that the files are swapped in and out but in my experience this hasn't been the case...?

For example, the first thing I did with the launcher was start playing War of the Walkers mod (which is insanely fun btw). But when I went to try and play CBmod, it would continually launch War of the Walkers. I thought that it loaded the mod files and swapped them for you from mod to mod?

The same thing happened when wanting to use the SMX UI in the mod launcher. I tried out the SMX and (attempted) SMX2 but it would load the first regardless. I even downloaded the SMX under advanced, relaunched my vanilla Multi-player game, and it started me with a new character, and when I try to play that file through steam (unmodded) I can't access my original character :(

That said, I'm a tad bit confused and flustered with the launcher as I don't want to have multiple instances of the game installed since I have to manually copy and paste edited XML files when my friends want to play a Vanilla Co-Op game. If someone could explain to me how to use the simple vs advanced function on the launcher I would appreciate it very much!

~~~TL-DR~~~~

I don't understand how the Simple setting in the launcher works as it continually loads the same mod regardless of what I choose, and I would prefer to not have multiple instances of the game installed (like in advanced).

Sorry for the confusion! Let me see if I can help clarify things.

Simple does try to swap out mods, but is really only successful on smaller XML-only mods. It really struggles with more complicated mods, like War of the Walkers, which brings in custom code and graphics into the base game.

From the launcher's perspective, it's tough to know what it can remove safely, what it should back up (without making a full copy of the game), etc. Some mods may install a bigger back pack, some may enable new zombie textures, etc. It can get into a mess pretty quickly!

Advanced Mode is definitely recommended, and this is how most have it setup:

Vanilla - Steam folder

Mods get installed in C:\7D2D

So if you want to play vanilla, you just launch the game through steam like you normally would. However, for mods, you'll want to use the mod launcher to keep the modded copies updated.

I understand the wanting to avoid making extra copies of the game. It does seem wasteful for some mods, but for other mods that can double the size of the base game, with all the new content is being added, it's necessary.

Making copies allows everyone to experience the mods the same way, without risking accidentally mixing up two different mods and running into strange problems.

Hi Gup! Hi Sphereii!

Okay that makes sense regarding the larger mods. What I've noticed when I use the launcher that it defaults to installing my mods into 3 separate folders under my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die. The 3 folders it creates from the launcher are "Mods" "TempMods" and "Saves".

When using the "simple" option to load UI's, I have to delete the 3 folders and Verify Integrity of Game Files via Steam in order to launch a different UI mod under "simple", else the Mod Launcher continues to load the first UI used (such as going from SMX to SMX Sirmod, with SMX Sirmod not loading, and instead getting the normal SMX).

Essentially what I would like to do is allow everyone to use Sirillion's standard SMX UI when I am hosting a game. That said, the game and player profiles have already been established, and last time I tried to add a UI mod I did so under advanced and lost my Single Player profile on my existing game, as it spawned my into the game as a new player once everything loaded. Can I safely update the UI somehow as well as Copy and Paste my edited Gamestage.XML file without having to restart anything on our Co-Op game? And does everyone need the SMX installed, or just me as the host?

Sorry for all the hassle, and thank you again for the help. You've made an awesome tool, I just want to get better at using it! :)

Sorry for the confusion! Let me see if I can help clarify things.

Simple does try to swap out mods, but is really only successful on smaller XML-only mods. It really struggles with more complicated mods, like War of the Walkers, which brings in custom code and graphics into the base game.

From the launcher's perspective, it's tough to know what it can remove safely, what it should back up (without making a full copy of the game), etc. Some mods may install a bigger back pack, some may enable new zombie textures, etc. It can get into a mess pretty quickly!

Advanced Mode is definitely recommended, and this is how most have it setup:

Vanilla - Steam folder

Mods get installed in C:\7D2D

So if you want to play vanilla, you just launch the game through steam like you normally would. However, for mods, you'll want to use the mod launcher to keep the modded copies updated.

I understand the wanting to avoid making extra copies of the game. It does seem wasteful for some mods, but for other mods that can double the size of the base game, with all the new content is being added, it's necessary.

Making copies allows everyone to experience the mods the same way, without risking accidentally mixing up two different mods and running into strange problems.

Wait...doesn't everyone have a HD dedicated to having 10+ modded versions of 7 days via the Mod Launcher?

Archived