VR Headsets and gaming

Guppycur

I have an HTC Vive. I specifically avoided the Rift because Facebook.

It is cool being able to browse my steam library within VR. I'm told the Vive is better for immersive, full room gaming, and I find that to be true. The Rift pre-controllers was more of a sitting down experience.

As to if one will win - only if they both try to capture the same niche. If Vive keeps on with full room gaming, and Rift goes more for sitdown gaming, both could coexist. With the pricing being what it is, switching sides or owning both is not realistic.

So far (knock on wood) I'm able to use steam on my rift, but I'm not sure what constitutes full room gaming? Is it something beyond not sitting down?

Vive games are designed to assume roughly a 2.5m x 2.5m play area. As my office gives me about 4m x 3.5m, most games I don't have to teleport around as much as you would think, I can just walk. It increases the immersion and fun factor considerably.

Moving around while fighting enemies also makes it feel like a real fight. Spell Fighter VR is the closest thing to a VR Skyrim I've found thus far, and dual wielding swords while fighting skeletons that try to circle around and flank you on each side is nothing short of extremely awesome.

Do you use a cable from the ceiling system? It's something I'm considering...

Not yet. I believe the Vive 2 is going wireless, and there is a conversion kit for the first gen that should be available in the U.S. at some point.

That cable really is the only thing that prevents near total immersion.

Once I reclaim the room for my own (I share a room with my daughter until she's old enough to have a pc in her room) I was thinking d-rings attached to the ceiling.

I will either do this, or go for the Vive 2. Did I mention it also doubles the resolution in each eye?

I knew I was in for "upgrade envy" going into it this early, but I figured the $550 or so I dropped isn't going to kill me, and it gave me a chance to see whether or not I liked it.

...resolution is okay in some games (Arizona Sunshine looks good imo), but not so much in other things, so I'm blaming the issue on the developers.

What really bothers me is glasses... they're just not comfortable. No way around it.

• 1 month later...
I knew I was in for "upgrade envy" going into it this early, but I figured the $550 or so I dropped isn't going to kill me, and it gave me a chance to see whether or not I liked it.

...resolution is okay in some games (Arizona Sunshine looks good imo), but not so much in other things, so I'm blaming the issue on the developers.

What really bothers me is glasses... they're just not comfortable. No way around it.

I don't know if you've figured out a solution for this, but I found two options. The first, and the cheapest, is to take your current prescription, and your headset, to the optometrist. Find the largest aviator style frames you can find that still fit inside the headset. Make sure it's also the frames that fit closest to your face. Have them put a set of lenses in those with no features and you're pretty much set. cost me $29

The second, and better solution is to go to https://vr-lens-lab.com/ and order a set from there. You will either need your prescription with all the details (might need to talk to your optometrist), or you'll need to get the inserts without lenses and bring them to your optometrist to get them made. My optometrist was nice enough to explain what all the numbers meant, so it was easy for me to get ready to order a pair from vr-lens-lab.com. Total price (haven't ordered it yet), is 75 euros, unless you want the premium lenses, then its an additional $19 (not sure what the difference is). But at 75 euros, in USD it's currently $88.36, and at 94 euros its $110.75

If you've already taken care of this in some other way, my apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, just thought I'd throw this in the arena if not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived