Zombie spawn

Ryan666

I know it discussed already many times , but is there any option to stop zombie respawn so far, at least inside the base you’ve built, because it is not logical when you working hard to make your base safe , building walls and stuff and they still Spawn Inside, I know bed can stop the spawn but it’s not cover whole area I built , so if it’s could be fixed or if there were any option to prevent it , would be just great

Don't know exactly, but fertilizer sounds as it should have been a joke.... :p

the last bedroll you put down (the one where you could spawn when you die and which you can see on the radar/minimap) prevents sleeper-respawns and other zombie-spawns in a radius of....I don't know exactly. enough for a normal building anyways.

thats the theory however. it seems as if this doesn't work all the time and nobody seems to know why that is. I trust in TFP to fix this until gold :D

I have anothother thought in that matter:

I know of course that in vanilla there should not be the possibility to put down more than one active bedroll regarding spawn-prevention. but can this be modded? can the property "zombie spawn prevention" be added to other blocks or items via xml? that would really help on our coop server where we have several small hideouts in different cities...any ideas/thoughts?

Yes, one of the only blocks they won't spawn on is fertilized farmland.

Keep in mind though that if you build on a POI, that won't help anything. POI spawns are set in the POI code, and replacing all the blocks won't make a difference.

Also if your base is large enough, region or screamer spawns may ignore it as well.

@SylenThunder

Afaik the default value for CanMobsSpawnOn is false. So there aren't many blocks which allow regular zombie spawns. Ofc screamer spawns and sleepers are a different story.

@Ryan666, @SylenThunder

If you know where the sleeper spawn points are, you can replace the corresponding air blocks (this was fixed in one of the post experimental patches: "Sleepers spawn inside blocks that the player had placed").

Here's a trick you can use. If you take over a single floor POI then fill it in with blocks. Nothing will spawn there. Then build on top of it and reinforce the walls of the bottom floor. Drop a sleeping bag. It works.

- - - Updated - - -

@SylenThunder

Afaik the default value for CanMobsSpawnOn is false. So there aren't many blocks which allow regular zombie spawns. Ofc screamer spawns and sleepers are a different story.

There are three blocks with CanMobsSpawnOn set to false by default. Two involving fertilizer and radiated ground.

There are three blocks with CanMobsSpawnOn set to false by default. Two involving fertilizer and radiated ground.

'Default' means the CanMobsSpawnOn property is not set in the blocks.xml. Therefore, only the terrain blocks do have CanMobsSpawnOn set to true. Otherwise we would observe strange spawns on top of streetlights, trees, plants, cars and other weird positions.

From the xml.txt:

<property name="CanMobsSpawnOn" value="true" />

The default value for a block is now FALSE.

A bit of clairfication...

From what I saw when examining the blocks is that there is a block that is called: "Fertilized Farmland" and I believe it has nothing to do with fertilizing ground, but I could be wrong. If what I am saying is true then just fertilizing ground won't help. So don't confuse them.

Air blocks?!?

I keep forgetting about that file. There needs to be comments pointing to it more frequently throughout the XML files.

It may be better to forget the comments in the XMLs.^^ Afaik they are sometimes outdated or just incorrect but in this certain case they are correct imo. I made some tests regarding the CanMobsSpawnOn thing but I can't remember for which version (A15 or A16).

• 2 weeks later...

Sleeping bag spawn protection

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if sleeping bag protection against zombies spawning in an area applies for all of the sleeping bags you've placed or just your active (last one you placed) one. I dont mean sleeping bags in the same building but different buildings.

Zombie spawn prevention

Wanted to stir the community a bit and pop up a rough question that was bugging me for a bit. Maybe the topic was already thought over and I'm sure everyone has their pros and cons on this idea, but i would like to hear everyone thoughts on the matter.

So yeah, some kind of mechanic for preventing zombie spawns. This on itself would be game breaking, therefore i propose some restrictions:

• The item (most likely an electric device or something) will have a specific radius and will prevent any zombie (sleeper or regular) from spawning in it after being placed. This doesn't include wandering hordes (which spawn way outside players range, but this could be discussed) or screamers spawning from high heat (a possible option to discuss is whether it lowers the generated heat).
  • Considering the influence of this mechanism, either it will have to be end game with high amounts of resources to be crafted or buy only from a trader with high enough trading and secret stash skills. I wouldn't expect a day 10 character to find or craft it, but in late game sure.
  • Bloodmoon hordes would be unaffected by this device. This is the crucial point, as only regular/sleeper spawns should be affected and bloodmoons should always be a threat. I know people can hide underground (although J.C.'s Channel videos prove that zombies still dig on the surface during bloodmoon) or high above the ground with range limiting the spawn of zombies. Still, not everyone does that.

I know there are some ways to prevent zombie spawns like paving the ground with player made blocks (dunno if in A16 this still works), but that requires destroying and putting up a lot of blocks (done that at one playthrough). Even so, people tend to build bases (apart from wilderness flat areas) near roads, near pois or inside some, close to natural landscape cliffs (tough to defend against wandering zombies) and not far from water (water walking zombies are the worst).

So... everywhere is dangerous unless you pave the ground with blocks?

This thread again?

Going to merge this with the one that has only been stale a few days. Try looking around a bit please.

Paving the ground with player made blocks preventing spawns is a myth btw. Has been for a while. At least as far back as a10 that I can recall off the top of my head.

This thread again?

Going to merge this with the one that has only been stale a few days. Try looking around a bit please.

Paving the ground with player made blocks preventing spawns is a myth btw. Has been for a while. At least as far back as a10 that I can recall off the top of my head.

If i wanted to start a discussion on the matter of "what type of blocks prevent zombie spawns", i wouldn't find anything i haven't read already in the past year or more... I know most of the discussions about that and not looking for it really. (don't want to sound rude, just saying i read a lot)

My point is to talk about a suggestion for TFP or any modders (although i don't know every mod there is to be sure someone didn't think of it already and implemented it) for creating a mechanic to not spawn mobs that is more accessible than the bedroll and more being and endgame thing. More than one bedroll allowing spawn block is beating around the bush instead of addressing the idea i had in mind.

Has anyone checked out creating new blocks or modifying existing ones to prevent spawning?

If i wanted to start a discussion on the matter of "what type of blocks prevent zombie spawns", i wouldn't find anything i haven't read already in the past year or more... I know most of the discussions about that and not looking for it really. (don't want to sound rude, just saying i read a lot)

My point is to talk about a suggestion for TFP or any modders (although i don't know every mod there is to be sure someone didn't think of it already and implemented it) for creating a mechanic to not spawn mobs that is more accessible than the bedroll and more being and endgame thing. More than one bedroll allowing spawn block is beating around the bush instead of addressing the idea i had in mind.

Has anyone checked out creating new blocks or modifying existing ones to prevent spawning?

Dude. The details for this are literally in the middle of the first page of this thread.

'Default' means the CanMobsSpawnOn property is not set in the blocks.xml. Therefore, only the terrain blocks do have CanMobsSpawnOn set to true. Otherwise we would observe strange spawns on top of streetlights, trees, plants, cars and other weird positions.

From the xml.txt:

<property name="CanMobsSpawnOn" value="true" />

The default value for a block is now FALSE.

Dude, not really. The discussion was about blocks that prohibit spawn on them. In addition to this topic, SylenThunder mentioned that "Paving the ground with player made blocks preventing spawns is a myth btw." I would prefer one firm answer concerning that, although i'm more inclined towards the truth in XML, meaning that there are blocks that prevent it all (exclude sleepers in POIs, tried that myself).

Secondly, my point was on blocks that prohibit spawn in a radius around them, like placed bedroll or beds with additional traits to them - not allowing even sleepers to spawn (like bedroll), lowering generated heat (spawning screamers), having high craft cost or powered by energy (generator bank or battery bank), not allowing wandering hordes to spawn nearby, but allowing bloodmoon hordes to generate.

This thread again?

Yep, myth. Myth that once again in our latest world in Dying Lands worked like a charm. Built a pillar 50 surrounded base. Screamers spawn about 40 blocks away over the top of forges. As they approach us they scream and z's spawn in and out of our walls. Replace all ground in walls with brick. Voila, magically no more spawns inside the walls. If just once I see this myth not work I will agree it is such - still waiting to see it in any of my games tho...

Archived