Which is the more important main feature of the game?

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game?

• A story driven by main and side quests.
    • A randomly generated world with smooth terrain.

I don't think Crater is saying that at all - and certainly I've never seen during my time as a Community Moderator anything moderated merely because it was critical. So, to be clear, please be critical of the lack of a story in the game, if a story in the game is important to you, or you feel it's important to the games success.

I think the point Crater was picking up on as that you used a phrase normally used literally, but employed it figuratively - indeed, you then had to qualify your remarks to point out you were using it figuratively and not literally, somewhat negating the point of using it at all.

That's what I've been doing all along, but of course when you post a wall of text people are going to find sentences in it they can argue about. That's just how it goes. I like doing that with Rolland, but I can feel your pain moderating that though. I'm aware that if I were more concise it would avoid getting into endless arguments.

I got that, but the thing is I don't think it's so important. As I said, who really cares how I phrase my posts. When I do post, I'm not so worried about using the exact word for accuracy sake. Perhaps I should be, because I wouldn't have to clarify everything I'm saying afterwards haha.

Why can't we have both? Could make special POI's that are directly story related that only spawn once per world, and each part of the quest will lead you towards the next special story poi. Make each a well made unique poi, and make sure to set ti so they can always spawn in randon gen but will only spawn once.

A good starting point I'd say. But how would this be shaped so it isn't just a disguised "Go to X, get Y, do Z and deliver to O"?

"A story driven by main and side quests."

To me this is already there. The story is that the world as we knew it is gone and now taken over by zombies and other abominations. The main quest is to survive in the middle of hell. Side quests are doing things that help, like establishing contact with traders, building bridges to cross rivers easily, exploring towns and cities for extra things that aren't crucial to helping you survive, but making it easier or bolstering your base.

I'm a long time gamer of survival horror and crafting games. And when diving into another, these things are just done with no thought. But after a while, it became just another game. A friend of mine who is huge on role playing showed me how to do what comes as second nature or as parts of playing the game as ways to set goals or make quests out of them. Give yourself quests.

Quest 1.) Gather 1,000 lumber/iron.

Quest 2.) Craft X amount of Y.

Quest 3.) Find other life. (Traders.)

Try not to burn through content and pace yourself as if it were actually you in the game and go from there. It also helps if you can make friends who are willing to add role play elements to the game as well. Make up tasks, such as use the gyrocopter (when it's out) to do some air recon and look for a good place to start another base. Get in there and use your imagination to the fullest. Get crazy, silly, serious. The only limit to the game is yourself.

"A story driven by main and side quests."

To me this is already there. The story is that the world as we knew it is gone and now taken over by zombies and other abominations. The main quest is to survive in the middle of hell. Side quests are doing things that help, like establishing contact with traders, building bridges to cross rivers easily, exploring towns and cities for extra things that aren't crucial to helping you survive, but making it easier or bolstering your base.

I'm a long time gamer of survival horror and crafting games. And when diving into another, these things are just done with no thought. But after a while, it became just another game. A friend of mine who is huge on role playing showed me how to do what comes as second nature or as parts of playing the game as ways to set goals or make quests out of them. Give yourself quests.

Quest 1.) Gather 1,000 lumber/iron.

Quest 2.) Craft X amount of Y.

Quest 3.) Find other life. (Traders.)

Try not to burn through content and pace yourself as if it were actually you in the game and go from there. It also helps if you can make friends who are willing to add role play elements to the game as well. Make up tasks, such as use the gyrocopter (when it's out) to do some air recon and look for a good place to start another base. Get in there and use your imagination to the fullest. Get crazy, silly, serious. The only limit to the game is yourself.

For me, a story in a well made survival game only adds some flavor and is uneeded, mostly because of the reasons you mentioned. As long as a game is engaging enough and presents challenges you must overcome to survive, you make up your own "quests" and complete them in the order you like in order to survive another day.

But I think that if there is no real purpose or practical need for these "quests" (e.g. a point when you no longer need wood to craft anything, but you still gather wood as a personal quest), you might as well be playing one of those clicker games on steam. Moreover, RP is great and can enrich a video game, but imo, if a video game *needs* RP in order for it to be engaging, then you might as well be playing PnP, DnD, a MUD or RP in some VR chat, if you also want a virtual world around you.

One other thing I do not agree with, is "having to pace yourself as if it was actually you in the game and not burn through content". First of all, if it was me in the game I would certainly burn through content as fast as I can :p But in general, I don't think it is a good thing to have to forcefully slow things down, so that the game won't become boring. It should be up to the game and its ruleset - not to superficially block you from further progress - but to throw enough things at you so that it keeps you busy. And that brings me to my next grievance mostly irrelevant with the topic or what you said.

And this is surely an unpopular opinion but I have to get it out of me - while 7D has the makings of a *great* survival game, it just stops being enjoyable after the relatively short "wood/stone to steel curve". So, my experience ends up like that - I scavenge in towns for things I don't really need (scarce loot abundance), stop hunting because my food supply is ridiculously large, build a garden but then get disappointed because I never needed one in the first place, getting infected searching for anti-biotics and then not bothering using them, hide instectively in a bunker at night only to safely stare at the wall, eventually stop caring if I die (even with loot deletion) - I could go on all day. I don't think it's content that is missing, it's mostly cohesion of existing content. Then again it might be an early middle age crisis, I don't know anymore.

Also, since the focus is on PVE, I think doing the main quest of Navezgane in multiplayer would be great as well. It would band players together on a single objective.

That being said, keep in mind that some players don't even play online. I know that sounds ridiculous in 2018, but there's still a bunch of players who won't play with others, because they don't like social gaming. Some people even do play MMOs, but will do it solo for the most part.

And this is surely an unpopular opinion but I have to get it out of me - while 7D has the makings of a *great* survival game, it just stops being enjoyable after the relatively "wood/stone to steel curve". So, my experience ends up like that - I scavenge in towns for things I don't really need (scarce loot abundance), stop hunting because my food supply is ridiculously large, build a garden but then get disappointed because I never needed one in the first place, getting infected searching for anti-biotics and then not bothering using them, hide instectively in a bunker at night only to safely stare at the wall, eventually stop caring if I die (even with loot deletion) - I could go on all day. I don't think it's content that is missing, it's mostly cohesion of content. Then again it might be an early middle age crisis, I don't know anymore.

Couldn't agree more tbh. After the first 3 weeks I don't feel that the game challenges me enough. I need a reason to keep building stuff and not just look out the window at the zombies killing themselves in my traps. Aren't there any people that needs to be protected? Aren't there a gang of raiders amassing numbers a few clicks away that I need to either subdue or get along with?

Now my reason for voting for the story however, is that I feel that games that provide great tools but no reason to use those tools fall flat compared to games where they give a real reason to actually use the tools given.

My personal experience has been that i have found plenty of reasons to play this unfinished storyless game. Even so much so that the "time played" far exceeds most games with storyline i have played.

Again, i'm all for a great main story in the game, but the poll is quests vs smooth rng world. IMO Navezgane with main quest and side quests gives me less replay value then endless randomly generated maps with good survival experience.

Also, in a destructible world, it's far harder to implement extensive consistent quest web that can't be interrupted/broken by player. I'm anxious to see how TFP handle this, but i would not expect something like fallout and skyrim.

Ah, got to love aruguing semantics. Who really does care how I phrase my posts? I think members has been nitpicky just to get into an argument for the sake of it.

I think you have been as nitpicky as everybody else to better promote your arguments.

And who cares how you phrase your posts? Well, you should care if you want someone to understand your perspective. Saying things that are incoherent and nonsense won't help much :)

Think the most important feature is actually not having your world succumb to an md5 error deleting the world around your bedroll Every game. This should be adressed before anyone even thinks about adding stories or quests. Of which id advocate side quests and objectives over anykind of indepth story. Fallout 4 vs 3 is a good example of why story isnt that important to playability. F3 is chock full of bugs but because of its large and dynamic questing and social interaction, makes for a ton more replayability than F4's build a base then defend it from 5 bandits idea which severely reduced the range of side quests and even interactable npcs and left us with oh the story is finished and now i cant go on. Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a weird thought... I was thinking about the MMO I play - Dungeons & Dragons online... They're setup is an 'instance' setup... Where there's a 'general map' where you can meet and talk/interact with other and then you can go to a dungeon... Depending upon your 'grouping' status - you can join with others or you can play within your own instance...

The thoughts I was having that it would be interesting if 7D2D was similar in the respect that if a server could serve a player with 'the server game' or an 'instance' game to the user depending upon what the user wanted.

Okay... You can shoot me now lol cause I was just thinking that might be way too much to even attempt... lol

Archived