Which is the more important main feature of the game?

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game?

• A story driven by main and side quests.
    • A randomly generated world with smooth terrain.

Random quests, even repetitive as well as different world events(recurring) >>> story campaign

You can't have actual story, you can have some lore, but not personal or world story, because once that ends, you're left with that empty feeling inside and subnautica as good as it is is prime example of that early burnout due to completing story.

I'm voting quests exclusively because there is no separate option for them, but I am NOT supporting main story at all.

Plus, actual quests and "story" around them should require different resources then smooth terrain, which is mostly programming, while quests require much more planning and balancing designer role.

I agree with this idea as well. This game is awesome without a main story but some side quests that tie into the lore and involve interacting with Bandits/Settlers would be awesome. It would enrichen the story without creating an end-game.

For this game, I feel like my character IS the story and I'm creating my own side quests as I play. It doesn't feel like I need preset events to push me along a certain path.

Tonight's side quest is to raid the Crack-A-Book nearby to hopefully make progress on my main quests of building a minibike and making a crossbow.

For this game, I feel like my character IS the story and I'm creating my own side quests as I play. It doesn't feel like I need preset events to push me along a certain path.

Tonight's side quest is to raid the Crack-A-Book nearby to hopefully make progress on my main quests of building a minibike and making a crossbow.

Very true. With a little imagination, there are limitless goals to complete in the game. Building mines in different biomes, seeking Stainless Steel at the Trader(s), Brass runs, uncovering all the grey on the map...anything at all.

I like the idea of optional side quests simply as an avenue to broaden the lore (like, wtf happened?) but I suppose this could be done in a multitude of ways without implementing tasks for the player to complete.

Edit: For the record, I voted "Randomly Generated World". I have a shameful amount of hours in this game...so 7D2D is perfectly fine without a main story :)

The only quest type(s) I'd like to see in this game is one where the Traders will randomly have supply shortages from heavy supply and demand, bandit incursions (bounty rewards for, locally, named bandits?), or, construction based items needed for emergency base repair due to any breaches in the Trading Posts perimeter walls, that happen, occasionally, from Z wall bangers, also, the order must be filled prior to the next blood-moon horde or possibly suffer the loss of that TP? (maybe incentivize a bounty system for Z scalps taken outside of the TP's walls?)

But, that's second place to my pick for a smoothed RNG terrain feature.

Provided it's one with the same natural properties of the real biomes it's laying down at our feet. No more 3x3 square block of a desert biome that's land locked inside a frozen tundra on top of a mountainous plateau at +167 blocks above, a zero based, sea level. It would be nice if we could choose to randomize our seed map to contain just one, or two, biome types of our choice.

Also, it would be nice if further on down the road our biomes had underground aquifer's, where, that mineshaft I'm about to sink is about to turn into an underground watery grave or my new Cartesian well.

Personally, I think the appeal of 7 days would be hampered by too much story. Primarily because the feeling of being all alone in this post apocalypse setting is cool. I'm not against some NPCs of course, traders are cool. But I'd prefer minimal interaction with other characters.

these polls... 100-200 people vote from the 10k+ active playerbase. 75% are tryhards,who only care about building huge bases. the only thing this post can be useful is to keep up the hype... :) im glad.

btw hopefully the random quests/dungeons in A17 will be good and enjoyable

these polls... 100-200 people vote from the 10k+ active playerbase. 75% are tryhards,who only care about building huge bases. the only thing this post can be useful is to keep up the hype... :) im glad.

btw hopefully the random quests/dungeons in A17 will be good and enjoyable

Does that make you a "can'thard" who once attempted building a huge base but.....

I went for the random gen option.

I've got around 600 hours, over lots and lots of games (I don't usually play past day 40-ish, preferring the early game) and I've never once played in Navezgane.

I'm hoping that when the story and quests (and the NPC factions for that matter) are introduced, they're limited to Navezgane only so they won't intrude on my sandbox game.

I'm assuming by "smooth" you mean really nice random gen terrain? Or do you mean one with more easily buildable terrain?

I'd definitely go for the former; I think I would actually appreciate it more than a story, don't get me wrong, I still would like a main quest and actual side quests to do, but it wouldn't be the meat of the game for me. Just another thing to do, and if done correctly, a device to add more exploration to the game.

I voted for storyline, but I only voted for that, thinking that maybe the main story would only be tied to Navezgane. That way, its alot easier for you to go big.

I like the bounty idea someone posted here, also the idea for the rangomd gather quests for traders. THOSE two ideas make alot of sense for a game like this.

Making a poll crossed my mind too, but I worried doing so would be too spiteful: more interested in being vindicated as right by popular opinion than actually wanting to open a dialogue.

That was my first thought when I did see the poll haha.

I think both are important but I think a random gen world is more important than a story. Random gen leads to countless replays whereas stories give one or two replays.

Keep in mind you are mostly addressing players who are already addicted to the game since years on the forums, so of course they will all want an improved RGW. I was not addressing this from the point of view of a veteran which I'm nowhere near to be even though I've been playing since nearly 2 years now, but from the average player who is not looking to replay the game, but play it through for the first or first few times.

The main quest usually takes you across the game map, so it's the most linear and straightfoward way to explore the game the first few times. They should be teaching you how to play and showing you around. That's what most games do, and not having that in the first place is seriously missing. Especially since 7 Days is such a brutal game, the casual player will want to have his hand held through the first few hours. Now before you say this game is not for casual players, I will mention it shouldn't exclude anybody.

That was my first thought when I did see the poll haha.

Well we already know you are prone to assuming the worst possibilities...

Keep in mind you are mostly addressing players who are already addicted to the game since years on the forums, so of course they will all want an improved RGW. I was not addressing this from the point of view of a veteran which I'm nowhere near to be even though I've been playing since nearly 2 years now, but from the average player who is not looking to replay the game, but play it through for the first or first few times.

That will vary from noob to noob and vet to vet. You're projecting your own view onto everyone. Tons of people will continue to buy this game for the sandbox aspect of it and many might never play the Navezgane story. Tons of people will buy it to play the main quest and put the 10-30 hours needed for that and then never play the game again. Tons will play both versions. Regardless, the mode that will generate 1000's of hours of play is the one that let's people create their own stories.

Archived