Which is the more important main feature of the game?

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game?

• A story driven by main and side quests.
    • A randomly generated world with smooth terrain.

Why is this poll not multiple choice?

Because of the adjective "more" instead of "most".

But what if I like them both equally?

I don't but I am trying to live up to guppy and trying to find my trolliness without advertising it....and yes I am failing miserably :D

Intro Scenes, cut Scenes, hour long tutorials in a starting zones.. Its a FEATURE of 7 days not having any of this crap.

I actually curse out gazz every time I start a new game because of the two pop ups. Dunno why him, I know he's not reaponsible, but probably because I know he IS responsible for what's next... Punching a rock for 5 minutes.

I actually curse out gazz every time I start a new game because of the two pop ups. Dunno why him, I know he's not reaponsible, but probably because I know he IS responsible for what's next... Punching a rock for 5 minutes.

Cursing Gazz out should really be the starter quest.

I agree with Cur's first post.

These choices are not an "either/or" nor "sum zero".

But alas, brainstorming often leads to dead ends and light bulbs.

Hopefully the light bulb in this angle is that a story/lore (don't think rich quest driven story line) is possible in a randomly smooth generated world.

Some of you just need to read the prompt for what it is. It is simply asking which is the more important feature to you. It isn’t saying you can’t have both or that one precludes the other or anything like that.

I think both are important but I think a random gen world is more important than a story. Random gen leads to countless replays whereas stories give one or two replays.

Not even close for me, focus on RWG any day. Not that I don't like story I've just never come across one in games that are any good. Cliched scripts, wooden acting, silly continuity and reactions, annoying cut scenes, etc.

But I would like more deeper meaningful quests, not just craft this, collect 100 of this. Maybe help npc's in a small town, defend them, help them rebuild defences, infiltrate bandit camps for the trader. Might help with end game.

Some of you just need to read the prompt for what it is. It is simply asking which is the more important feature to you. It isn’t saying you can’t have both or that one precludes the other or anything like that.

I think both are important but I think a random gen world is more important than a story. Random gen leads to countless replays whereas stories give one or two replays.

Ayup, same reason I voted for random gen.

Was that directed at me? You know I was only trying to get under your skin a little for all the times on here you used words and logic that made me have to do brain stuff. It hurt.

I am afraid to vote in your polls lately as I feel somehow it will end with Trump somehow becoming Prime Minister of Canada and recalling Justin Bieber from the States to be Minister of Entertainment.

I think it's lopsided in part because we have one but not the other. We don't have to imagine what 7DtD with a smooth, randomly-generated world would be like. A feature that's already in the game naturally does more to define that game than a feature that isn't implemented yet. So there's a degree of circular logic at play here. Defining features are more important, and implemented features are more definitive, ergo implemented features are automatically more important.

The danger in that logic is that when you start making a game, other factors control how quickly certain features are implemented. If you use the Unreal engine, for instance, it has a history that's geared towards first person shooters. You may have awesome ideas on how story will be the most important main feature of your Unreal engine game, but then the gunplay falls into place months before there's any story. If you apply the logic above, you wind up with a first person shooter with a story, instead of a story-driven game with shooting.

Smooth random gen definitely. If they ever add a story or quests, I hope they won't add them like they would add them in a normal non-sandbox game. I mean not in a linear manner, but dynamically with quests randomly getting triggered by exploring certain POIs, random events, tech progression etc, being chained differently on each playthrough and having different random outcomes.

Guys, even quests can be randomly generated! Not just the terrain.

Keep that in mind!

I love terrain generation, I think that someday every open world game will be generated and I think that 7DTD has gained a LOT of longevity thanks to it.

However what I would like to see is:

let's say that the pimps develop 30 different quests and then find a way to procedurally modify them indefinitely.

Switching the NPC that starts the quest,

changing the NPC that must be killed, or the zombie...

Altering the number of targets,

the location,

the main task to do,

the tool you need to use in order to complete the task,

the time you have to complete it,

the reward,

the number of friends that need to help you during the task..

Continuously flipping the chain of quests that trigger one another.

This is my mind would be the best implementation. What do you guys think?

Guys, even quests can be randomly generated! Not just the terrain.

Keep that in mind!

I love terrain generation, I think that someday every open world game will be generated and I think that 7DTD has gained a LOT of longevity thanks to it.

However what I would like to see is:

let's say that the pimps develop 30 different quests and then find a way to procedurally modify them indefinitely.

Switching the NPC that starts the quest,

changing the NPC that must be killed, or the zombie...

Altering the number of targets,

the location,

the main task to do,

the tool you need to use in order to complete the task,

the time you have to complete it,

the reward,

the number of friends that need to help you during the task..

Continuously flipping the chain of quests that trigger one another.

This is my mind would be the best implementation. What do you guys think?

Yes, but hopefully they won't be the generic kind of quests, like kill x of type x zombies in x minutes with x weapon. They have to get a lot more creative than that. The motives/rewards must also be something that the game doesn't already offer you through exploration.

Smooth rgw terrain. I don't think the game needs a real story more like some conversations or helping other survivors and getting some rewards. I would like funny, wise charakters who talk to you about now and before the apocalypse. There is a chance that a long story with many side quests actually prevent people from starting a new game because there is this story they have to complete again. That can be annoying.

Yes, but hopefully they won't be the generic kind of quests, like kill x of type x zombies in x minutes with x weapon. They have to get a lot more creative than that. The motives/rewards must also be something that the game doesn't already offer you through exploration.

Yeah, this is going to be the tough nut to crack if TFP go down the route of procedurally generated quests. If it's simple variants of "go here, kill/collect [x] of this/these/those/them, come back, collect reward of [x] of [items you could easily get other ways]" then I'm not sure what it adds to the game.

Randomly generated quests suck usually.

What is far more important then the "main story" is the system behind it that allows modders to custom create endless amount of quests.

100% agree on all counts. If TFP build the right systems with modding capabilities then the modders WILL come and play. Everyone wins!

Archived