17th crash in a row

wildangel55

Hi me again; truly is same s***. Crash was a new game of course since the last one crashed. This one only made it to Day 13; no mining this time and kept my base and my workbench/forge a long distance from each other. I was leveling ground with a few cobblestone frames, the screen started to flicker, which always means black screen coming. It did, I immediately went in an deleted my saved games as I always do (XBox solution which never works), restarted my console. Guess what it didn’t just take my base storage it also took my workbenches and forges which are nowhere near my base. Is it a joke glitch you guys put in the game?? Seriously, to ALWAYS only take the portion of the game that has your storage and workbenches seems odd don’t you think?? It doesn’t cut my base in half anymore, it actually picks pieces out that contain the storage and leaves everything else, it took the workbenches but left part of that location. For the love of little fish, how long is it going to take to make this a playable game??

Game Info

Read the last 4 reports I’ve turned in. Just different map seeds.

Hi Wildangel55,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on that info. When you say you made it to day 13, was that 13 days played continuously or over a few sessions? One thing a player noticed recently is the times their day is set to can have an effect on the crash point where it would crash when it came to 2 days. How long was your play session before the game crashed?

I am sorry you lost your items again and your have found the XB1 workaround has never worked for you. I do not have an estimate on when the MD5 errors will be fixed completely due to the nature of the error. But the team are not giving up on this issue.

Thank you again for pass on the information of your crashes.

Clare

Just read the report on 16, 15, and 14, day time is set for 120 hrs. I have always played with 120hr days because I like to build. I play a couple of hours to 4 hours a day in broken up sessions.

I have to be honest, this did not happen this horrifically on version 1.0.17, it only began to be this bad on the update to 1.0.18. Now the game is very unstable, this is something that should be looked into. Others have mentioned this but you seem to ignore that remark. It is very, very important to look into this, it can’t just be a “happy little accident”, that all of us see.

Hi wildangel55,

I am sorry you feel that players, including yourself, are being ignored when you say that the MD5 errors seem to have increased within the last update. This is not the case, I watch for increases in reports for any bug when a new update comes out, along with mentions of any new ones or confirmation of fixes. Not only that, but players mentioning any increases within their own games. I have passed the concerns of the community onto the team, as well as my own findings, so they can compare to the analytics system and investigate on their end.

Thank you for clarifying the time spent in your sessions vs the hours played. I find it best to double check on the off chance anything has changed. In future, you are welcome to update the one post in order to keep all of your information together.

Again I am sorry you and other players have felt I have ignored your concerns.

Clare

Clare, I am sorry too. Just tired, and want the game to work. My games, 14 - 17 have been played in different ways as a kind of self experiment. My new game (never say die) is on a new seed, with a different type of build and base philosophy. Will let you know details when it crashes. Thanks for help.

Crash 18 - Day 11

Crash 18 - Day 11, Level 32 - Creative Mode

Thought I would try creative mode to see if not having any storage boxes around made a difference. It does not. Shortest game play so far. From scratch base build in a small city on a cliff. No digging, only block building. Built all my cobblestone frames from gathering supplies and loaded cobblestones from creative menu. I have only one Secure Storage chest which is still on site, but has only a few items in it. No lights only original touch. Two thirds of base gone after black screen glitch. Seed name “quietcat”. Since I am playing Creative and did not loose my whole base, I am going to rebuild this one and see if purging saves every two hours helps. Just notes for my own research. Otherwise, everything else is Default.

I can actually side with Clare on that. The MD5 before this update was much MUCH worse. I have been reset several times and I definately understand your frustration.

Since the last update I've had one crash and I was planting a bunch of cotton. I cleared my cache and did a hard reset. Came back and everything was fine.

Before this last update it was almost guaranteed to reset something.

Are you using ethernet cable by chance? Ever since I went to ethernet I've had far less trouble with everything xbox related. Also I suggest plugging your xbox power cord directly into the wall if it isn't already (trust me it makes a difference)

Hi wildangel55,

Thank you for continuing to update this thread. Considering how regular and quickly your game crashes, I would be interested to see your play style, would it be possible to get footage your base of leading up to the crashes next time it happens to see if I can spot anything that might seem unusual, or I should flag the team on?

----------------

Hi A HOMICIDAL NUN

Unfortunately the MD5 has reduced for some (the workaround also helps avoid them a lot too) but for others there appears to be a rise in issues which I have highlighted for the team.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions for helping to reduce the crashes :)

I am connected with Ethernet cord and XBox is plugged into the wall, always had been. And while I’m glad A Homicidal Nun is better not all of us are. I rarely crashed before the last update, now I can barely play.

I have always liked the building aspect of the game, so I do not jack up my zombie attacks. I am trying the creative mode to see if there is a coralation between having large amounts of storage items and the amount of area lost at the time of the crash. During last crash I only lost parts of my base. I am still playing have started spreading out and sitting up a normal type base. It is also getting bigger so I will keep you updated.

Crash research notes

Clare, a little more from my notes on this particular game. As I’ve said I decided to play with creative/cheat mode, so when the crashes happened I could repair the areas missing in a timely fashion and continue with my “research”. I purposely set up areas separated by a few 16x16 blocks with storage that I would normally have had if not in cheat mode. I have done minimal mining in the area so far tho. (Next part of the research). First crash, took little area, but what it took was workbench and forge, which were not in the same location. Also, two large storage containers which contained food and basic building material. Only a small amount of the base as I had left these things outside my actual base.

When I rebuilt, I moved storage inside and increased the size of my base greatly. Also, used the cheat mode to make it entirely out of stainless steel. I thought maybe the shear size and materials used would make the game crash. It didn’t, I think what did was that I got carried away and worked for more than 24 hours in game time on the base. It seems to get cranky when you change to much area in one space of time. It crashed, when I came back (did not do work around wanted to see effects), the missing sections of this huge base were only the parts that contained the workbenches/forges and storage boxes. It plucked them right out out of the middle of a base that currently contains 10,000 +- stainless steel blocks upgraded from cobblestone, that spans a road with cliffs on both sides by a bridge 51 blocks high, and two large buildings on both sides. It also encloses a complete cemetery turned to stainless, with a bridge from the cemetery to the main base houses. As my research continues and I think back on my previous builds and crashes; none of the builds were this massive but they all had massive storage in them. I believe the storage, whether the chests or the bigger marked boxes you can build, are the key. To much time changing landscape at one time triggers the crash, and the storage/workbenches are the target.

As to why when you are underground when it happens it transports you back to the surface? I believe it is the same reason the elevator glitch works (by the way don’t fix that), when fixing the ground you have been digging out the game just moves you up until it puts you on the top level. Mining a long distances is the same as building a huge base without breaking it into smaller chunks of manageable time, to much area change at one time.

Anyway that is my take so far. Don’t know if this helpful or to much, but really do want to see this game fixed.

Thanks, Angel

I am connected with Ethernet cord and XBox is plugged into the wall, always had been. And while I’m glad A Homicidal Nun is better not all of us are. I rarely crashed before the last update, now I can barely play.

I have always liked the building aspect of the game, so I do not jack up my zombie attacks. I am trying the creative mode to see if there is a coralation between having large amounts of storage items and the amount of area lost at the time of the crash. During last crash I only lost parts of my base. I am still playing have started spreading out and sitting up a normal type base. It is also getting bigger so I will keep you updated.

I have to be honest though. It only makes sense to build in creative if that's what you enjoy. I've been working on a massive build at the farm and I've only had 2 crashes. One was just sitting idle at the main menu and the other I was planting a large amount of cotton plants. Since then it's been fairly stable. I always suggest playing no longer than an hour and clear the cache before you play. If it crashes clear it again then play. My theory stays true with the chests and forge etc. Md5 targets those items. Only when I had to have a forge and campfire and chests all going at the same time did I have these problems. And I also suggest turning off zombies and crate drops, you won't need them anyhow.

I have to be honest though. It only makes sense to build in creative if that's what you enjoy. I've been working on a massive build at the farm and I've only had 2 crashes. One was just sitting idle at the main menu and the other I was planting a large amount of cotton plants. Since then it's been fairly stable. I always suggest playing no longer than an hour and clear the cache before you play. If it crashes clear it again then play. My theory stays true with the chests and forge etc. Md5 targets those items. Only when I had to have a forge and campfire and chests all going at the same time did I have these problems. And I also suggest turning off zombies and crate drops, you won't need them anyhow.

I would at this time have to agree that the MD5 is targeting the storage containers and workbeanch/forges, etc. I think the manipulation of so much area in a single space of time is the trigger to the glitch. I have been keeping notes and playing different ways for quite some time (it’s an OCD thing) and those two things are the common thread of all the games. I know 19 games in a row crashing before day 40 is not a large pool of total game play crashes, but it is a good compilation.

I like shooting the zombies too and have played both ways, both disabled and zombies on, but when I have them on I usually keep them on adventurer and low so I can still go out and build without to much trouble.

Well at least you see the big picture. Some gamers are very skeptical of my ways to avoid crashes. Almost every crash had chests slap full and forges going 24/7. And of course, what was reset? Just those patches that I needed. I have found my own workaround and I can honestly say I'm currently building my largest project ever and so far no losses. Two crashes one of which was just sitting idle at the main menu. The other was just planting a massive amount of cotton. But resetting the cache (before playing) has helped prevent a lot of problems for me and not just after a crash. But I've had no major losses yet and I'm on day 50 or 55 I think

It did take me awhile to see the pattern, but after I did, being OCD has helped me stay focused on finding the actual trigger. There are a few mostly involving modifications to large areas without a break and as you said being idle. Going thru your inventory for long periods or even pausing the game will throw it into the glitch. I just keep trying, my current build is massive, just had a small hiccup and lost nothing of value, one small section of a wall I worked on too long. I am level 61; day 31. Highest I’ve ever been, sat my XBox to shut down when I turn it off, so it restarts every time I turn it on, helps tremendously. I wish the devs would pay a little more attention to the research going into to this and the correlation of the complaints. It is not area or seed specific. It is action triggered, 99.9% sure of that after 8 months of notes. 😊

Well that is true. Many of the issues overall have been fixed. Except for MD5. So my guess is its a huge problem that the devs don't have the manpower to fix. That's the only thing I can come up with considering how long it's been with no patch. So I'm guessing it can't be patched but instead has to be replaced. Most likely they are trying to get xbox updated to a newer version in the hopes of replacing the actual problem. That's just my guess though

Thank you both for your understanding and information :)

Wildangel55 - Thank you for that detailed account of what your tested, I have copied that message, exactly as you wrote it and passed it onto the team. I really appreciate you letting me know what happened with each crash, all this information is valuable to the team. If you wish to keep updating please do, I will keep an eye on this thread and continue to update the team with any new information.

Clare

Archived