Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

I have to agree with the folks here about farming. It's extremely tedious. I dont mind it needing water but having it use water up every stage is bonkers. I have to make and carry like 50 water buckets and build a sink next to farm. My opinion; have crops need to be grown next to water but not have it consume it. Good middle ground I think.

I hope this works with the Firearms Mod and the Soviet Weapon Pack. Those are both good gun adding mods although I wish they would fix ADS (Aim Down Sites) for AK weapons. Hate the stupid vanilla ADS for the AK and for some reason those modders just used vanilla animation for it. -.-

- - - Updated - - -

Also is it required to start a new world or would this overhaul integrate smoothly on a world in Progress?

If u are going to use firearms u have to go change progression in it our remove it like i did, and then be able to make guns in the metal workstation, since khaine made some awesome progressionen skills in this:)

I have to agree with the folks here about farming. It's extremely tedious. I dont mind it needing water but having it use water up every stage is bonkers. I have to make and carry like 50 water buckets and build a sink next to farm. My opinion; have crops need to be grown next to water but not have it consume it. Good middle ground I think.

And then we go back to the old code where folks complain because plants randomly disappear and/or die.

I'm sticking with this but I'm adding in some extra stuff to help.

EDIT: Just had an idea, playing with it now... if I coded it right.

But it didn't crash.... soooooooo...

EDIT 2: GOT IT!

Ok, so I got plants to have a random chance to consume water now instead of guaranteed. Example.

7_Days_To_Die-01-24-20-10-02.jpg

4 buckets of water, 9 blocks of water in total, 3 used for 36 plants all updating at the same time.

May need to tweak the numbers a little, but that's a lot better.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

Thanks for that, she's a happy survivalist now :)

Hate to bug with questions but we are now at the stage of making all our titanium tools and armour but can't seem to find what perk unlocks the titanium sledgehammer if you could point us in the right direction please?

Loving this mod btw and like the idea from your last post regarding the random chance of water consumption for farming. I didn't mind the water thing too much but did feel a little excessive. I figured perhaps to wait on an irrigation system mod or rainwater tank with auto filling trench kinda option. But I think the random chance should remove the grind of watering.

Thanks for that, she's a happy survivalist now :)

Hate to bug with questions but we are now at the stage of making all our titanium tools and armour but can't seem to find what perk unlocks the titanium sledgehammer if you could point us in the right direction please?

Loving this mod btw and like the idea from your last post regarding the random chance of water consumption for farming. I didn't mind the water thing too much but did feel a little excessive. I figured perhaps to wait on an irrigation system mod or rainwater tank with auto filling trench kinda option. But I think the random chance should remove the grind of watering.

Titanium sledgehammer I apparently forgot to add in 2.02. It's been added to 2.03 under titanium crafting.

Gave him the book and he used it but the quest didn't advance. How do I know if it worked?

It doesn't advance the quests. It just sets the character as if the quests had been completed, which means he can delete the one in his quest log and ignore it.

Or for watering plants just add a recipe for POI water source ( if that is possible ). I noticed plants doesn't use water from pools or fountains because that water is POI water block.

I remember in previous versions of these mods you had a water tank in the middle so you didn't pour water over ur crops and loose them and you only had to fill them once - I guess it behaved same as POI water block entity.

Or for watering plants just add a recipe for POI water source ( if that is possible ). I noticed plants doesn't use water from pools or fountains because that water is POI water block.

I remember in previous versions of these mods you had a water tank in the middle so you didn't pour water over ur crops and loose them and you only had to fill them once - I guess it behaved same as POI water block entity.

Actually working on a block that spawns water.

Also I managed to get plants to have a random chance of consuming water rather than completely guaranteed.

Currently set to 30% chance instead of 100%. :) Needs some testing but it doesn't seem too bad.

Can you please make it to where this is compatible with Firearms Mod and Soviet Weapons Pack mod. Those are two really good gun adding mods. When in the Mod folder their progression files interact with Darkness Falls progression.xml to where you can't do anything with skills.

It won't even let you go to the skills menu.

Please please make the progression.xml for Darkness Falls compatible with Firearms and Soviet Weapons Pack mod's progression.xml's

Great mod but won't play it till it's compatible with those good weapon mods. Will just go back to Realism Overhaul.

anyone having problems with joining a friends game have no hassle in normal game but in darkness sometimes we try relogging eight or nine time before it will let us both log in at same time any ideas

Are you on the latest version?

Can you please make it to where this is compatible with Firearms Mod and Soviet Weapons Pack mod. Those are two really good gun adding mods. When in the Mod folder their progression files interact with Darkness Falls progression.xml to where you can't do anything with skills.

It won't even let you go to the skills menu.

Please please make the progression.xml for Darkness Falls compatible with Firearms and Soviet Weapons Pack mod's progression.xml's

Great mod but won't play it till it's compatible with those good weapon mods. Will just go back to Realism Overhaul.

Gonna be blunt here.

That's rude.

It's is not MY responsibility to make my OVERHAUL mod compatible with a modlet. It is the modlet author's responsibility to make THEIR project compatible with mine.

I'm not going to re-write the one file that took me a day to organise how I wanted it, with the progression I wanted for my overhaul.

If you don't like that? Not my problem. Go play realism overhaul then because this obviously isn't for you.

Or.... and here's a wild idea... don't be gun obsessed. Darkness Falls is not about being OP with guns as soon as possible. It's SUPPOSED to be work and luck to get even the most basic pistol.

Im going to test around with them a little bit and see if deleting their progression.xml's will work as a temporary work around for this issue.

I really want to play this Overhaul but don't want to play without all the guns those 2 mods add.

Hopefully deleting their progression.xml's will just make it to where they can't be crafted but still repaired and found in the loot table.

They pop up perfectly fine in loot before but idk if they'll work right once I delete the progression.xml's they both have.

@Major Valentine The only things you should lose by deleting the progression.xml is the ability to craft the guns or I should say, the ability to learn how to craft them and skill bonuses may not work with them. You may also get some yellow errors when loading but they can be ignored. You could remove the learnable tags in their recipe.xml to be able to craft them but that would make early game a little too easy.

Sorry wasn't being rude just came out like that. I like most people like to game with multiple mods and find the ones that interact the best with each other for the best gaming experience.

People don't always like every characteristic of a "Overhaul Mod" anyways and thus people plug and play with different mods to like I said see which ones work together well to enhance the Overhaul. Done it time and time again with other games aside from this one. I wasn't asking for anything to be done instantly I know this takes time. If I knew how to code the xml myself and get it working fully with the weapon mods I would do it myself and never would have said anything to you about it.

All I was saying is it'd be nice to have Darkness Overhaul compatible with the gun mods.

More people would play this Overhaul if it was compatible with a wider variety of mods. Some people like the Overhaul how it is and others would like to be able to modify it further with tweaks from other mods.

It seems as if I have gotten the mod working perfectly fine on my own with the gun mods anyways just by deleting their progression.xml's

- - - Updated - - -

and yea I may try fiddling with their recipe files at some point but for now I'm just happy I can use my skills again just from deleting Firearm and Soviet Weapon Pack's progression xmls

You're gonna have to get used to it.

At least 2 mod authors I've spoken to have re-written their progression files as well because we were all comparing notes to get things working in the way we wanted.

It is up to modlet creators to provide compatibility patches for overhaul mods. NOT us. I don't want a lot of the modlets used with this mod because it screws up the balance... like those gun packs. There's no point to adding that many extra guns when a lot of them are the same, like 4 variations of the AK-47, and then they won't use my gun parts system... they won't need schematics to be found, they won't need the lathe for crafting, etc.

Which then totally screws up the character progression I have in mind AND means folks will likely just ignore the guns I DID put into the mod.

But I'm perfectly happy to work WITH modlet creators to develop compatibility patches. I did with Dust2Death to make sure his HDHQ overhaul works.

I get what your saying. Just pointing out that not everyone likes every aspect of Overhauls so they just mods or modlets to fill in the gaps. Im interested in seeing your AR even though Firearms already has an M16 and M416.

I just like variety xp

Would be nice to see those modlet creators make a version of theirs that uses your weapon part crafting system that is one thing I do miss about the older versions of 7D2D.

I mainly downloaded Firearms and Soviet for certain guns in each pack not all. Like the RPK and AS Val and VSS Vintorez from Soviet and the SCAR Spas Remington and FN FAL from Firearms.

I still use vanilla guns often xp

It is up to modlet creators to provide compatibility patches for overhaul mods. NOT us.

Ideally yes, that would be the case.

A modlet, as I understand it, is not supposed to be a complete mod. For example, with weapons, one modlet would simply create the weapons recipes - that's it.

A second modlet would add those recipes to the vanilla game's progressions files.

That way, there would be a third modlet that would add the recipes to the progressions files used by this overhaul. There would be other modlets that did the same for other overhauls.

Having said that - supporting all the individual modlets would be a nightmare for the modlet author if it was only their responsibility. So it would be nice if overhaul authors like you could provide help in this area.

Or: perhaps break up the overhaul into its own collection of modlets that can be used separately. I thought that was the general idea nowadays anyway - an overhaul would basically be a collection of individual modlets that all worked together to provide a unified experience.

An analogy would be Linux. A modlet would be like a low-level library or program (say, Nautilus file manager) and an overhaul would be like a full-fledged Linux distro (say, Ubuntu).

That's what I thought was the intent, anyway.

Obviously I can't force anyone to do anything, so if that's not how the modding community ends up doing things, so be it.

I believe they have a timer to slowly decay and disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as compatibility goes. The primary issue is to create a new experience, Khaine made sweeping changes to the progression.xml and there isn't a good way to achieve what he did with allowing more compatibility. It would take far less effort for someone to make small modlet compatibility patches. With xpath pretty much anyone could do it so it doesn't have to take time away from the authors.

Ideally yes, that would be the case.

A modlet, as I understand it, is not supposed to be a complete mod. For example, with weapons, one modlet would simply create the weapons recipes - that's it.

A second modlet would add those recipes to the vanilla game's progressions files.

That way, there would be a third modlet that would add the recipes to the progressions files used by this overhaul. There would be other modlets that did the same for other overhauls.

Having said that - supporting all the individual modlets would be a nightmare for the modlet author if it was only their responsibility. So it would be nice if overhaul authors like you could provide help in this area.

Or: perhaps break up the overhaul into its own collection of modlets that can be used separately. I thought that was the general idea nowadays anyway - an overhaul would basically be a collection of individual modlets that all worked together to provide a unified experience.

An analogy would be Linux. A modlet would be like a low-level library or program (say, Nautilus file manager) and an overhaul would be like a full-fledged Linux distro (say, Ubuntu).

That's what I thought was the intent, anyway.

Obviously I can't force anyone to do anything, so if that's not how the modding community ends up doing things, so be it.

Overhauls were not meant to be made with modlets. Certainly not ones like mine that have a long list of SDX custom patches, like the plant water code, animation compatibility for new entities, etc. Those are examples of things I outright CANT do as a modlet.

I wouldn't even want to try and do my progression as a modlet because I re-wrote and reorganised the entire file from the attributes section down.

I'm always happy to help a modlet author if they want to create a patch. But to expect overhaul creators to ensure their stuff is compatible with modlets out of the box is a bit daft.

quick question about the gore blocks that are created after killing a zombie. Do those automatically go away or do you have to harvest them to make them go away?

They eventually turn into a pile of bones, but they have been removed in 2.03 to see if it helps with lag issues. :)

one last thing did you intend for the Trade Bases to be destroyable? Or is that a bug? Like the Guards in them though. They look a little odd and a lot of them have a duplicate guard under them but I like their gear. Wish I could get it off them. xp

Sort-of intended.

So I removed the protection in A16 to fix a bug... and people loved it, so now it's intended. :)

The duplicate guard thing is an issue with spawn blocks. I'm going to see if I can use a different method. If it works, I'll be using it for traders too.

Cool it is pretty neat. Gunna set base near a Trader and help watch that base as I build mine. xp Will have to do some patching on their walls already. Zombs beat their way in while I was there looking at the guards and stuff.

I like that you didn't slow down climbing up ladders like the modder who did Realism Overhaul did.

That overhaul made it to where if you wanted to go up a ladder fast you had to jump and burn all your energy. Was kinda odd. Didn't understand why slowing ladder climb down seemed important.