Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Hi @KhaineGB. I am currently working my way through a play through 19.5 with v3.5. Thanks for your help with that.

I have a question about the mods you can place in vehicles. I have the fuel economy mod, works well, thanks. I wanted to also add the turbo.

But it seems like I can only have one or the other. Is this by design and locked through c code? As I cannot see anything in the xml that would prohibit both, and yes I have two slots in the vehicle.

On a side note here is a little xml patch I bashed out for spears;

Spoiler
<configs>

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT0BoneKnife T1 Blades meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']">
				<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value=".6" tags="organic"/>
				<passive_effect name="HarvestCount" operation="base_set" value="1" tags="butcherHarvest"/>	
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="perc_add" value="0,.5" tier="1,80" />								
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.0"/>
	</append>

<!-- DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">21</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">56</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']">
				<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value=".6" tags="organic"/>
				<passive_effect name="HarvestCount" operation="base_set" value="1" tags="butcherHarvest"/>				
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.1"/>
	</append>		

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT1HuntingKnife T2 Blades meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear -->	
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">32</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">58</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']">
			<property class="Action0">
				<property name="Class" value="DynamicMelee" />
				<property name="Hitmask_override" value="Melee" />
				<property name="Sphere" value=".15" /> <!-- limit to 0.15, else the sphere cast can overlap the target already -->
				<property name="Sound_start" value="spear_fire" />
				<property name="ToolCategory.harvestingTools" value="1" param1="1" />

<property name="UseGrazingHits" value="true" />
				<property name="GrazeStart" value=".25" />
				<property name="GrazeEnd" value=".32" />
				<property name="SwingDegrees" value="10" />
				<property name="SwingAngle" value="20" />
				<property class="HitSounds">
					<property name="Override0" value="organic" param1="metalstaborganic" />
				</property>
				<property class="GrazeSounds">
					<property name="Override0" value="organic" param1="metalgrazeorganic" />
				</property>
			</property>
			<property class="Action1">
				<property name="Sound_start" value="swoosh" />
				<property name="Sphere" value="0.15" />
				<property name="ToolCategory.harvestingTools" value=".5" param1="1" />
				<property name="UsePowerAttackAnimation" value="true" />
			</property>	
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.2"/>
	</append>

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT3Machete T3 Blades meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">42</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">61</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']">
				<property name="Sphere" value=".15" /> <!-- limit to 0.15, else the sphere cast can overlap the target already -->

</property>
				</property>
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.8"/>
			</property>
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.3"/>
			</property>	
	</append>

<!-- DFtitaniumHuntingKnife DFmeleeSpearTitanium -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">48</set>
	<remove	xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute']"/>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']">
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="64" />
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.4"/>
	</append>	

<!-- ??? DFmeleeTazasSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">42</set>
	<remove	xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute']"/>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']">
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="61" />
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="perc_add" value="0,.6" tier="1,80" />				
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
	</append>	
</configs>

It changes slightly the damage per hit, increases slightly the number of hits per min and allows salavaging of dead creatures/zombies, like the hunting knives.

<append xpath="//block[@name='trapSpikesWoodMaster']">
		<property name="CanPickup" value="true" param1="trapSpikesWoodDmg0" />
	</append>
On 8/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, KhaineGB said:

5) CanPickup only works on stuff that you can hold E on and get a radial menu, like workstations.

I think that this code works differently?

Spoiler

<append xpath="//block[@name='trapSpikesWoodMaster']">
        <property name="CanPickup" value="true" param1="trapSpikesWoodDmg0" />
    </append>

Without the code, its a spike trap, nothing happens if you mouse hover over it and you cannot pick it up.

With the code, mouse over gives a line of text telling you about using E to pick it up. Press E, no need to hold.

Ah I thought just came to me, press E and you pick it up, no other option, or no option at all if code not added.

But a secure storage has, well the options to lock/unlock, but probably more importantly E opens the block to allow storage of stuff.

Hmm not sure what that means in relation to what I am trying to do, but it might. Thinking needs to be done, later maybe.

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Hi @KhaineGB. I am currently working my way through a play through 19.5 with v3.5. Thanks for your help with that.

I have a question about the mods you can place in vehicles. I have the fuel economy mod, works well, thanks. I wanted to also add the turbo.

But it seems like I can only have one or the other. Is this by design and locked through c code? As I cannot see anything in the xml that would prohibit both, and yes I have two slots in the vehicle.

On a side note here is a little xml patch I bashed out for spears;

Hide contents
<configs>

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT0BoneKnife T1 Blades meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']">
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="perc_add" value="0,.5" tier="1,80" />								
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.0"/>
	</append>

<!-- DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">21</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">56</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/effect_group[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeWpnSpearScrap']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.1"/>
	</append>		

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT1HuntingKnife T2 Blades meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear -->	
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">32</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">58</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']">

</property>
				</property>
			</property>
			</property>	
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT1IronSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.2"/>
	</append>

<!-- meleeWpnBladeT3Machete T3 Blades meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">42</set>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute' and @operation='base_set']/@value">61</set>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']/effect_group[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear']">

</property>
				</property>
			</property>
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.3"/>
			</property>	
	</append>

<!-- DFtitaniumHuntingKnife DFmeleeSpearTitanium -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">48</set>
	<remove	xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute']"/>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']">
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="64" />
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeSpearTitanium']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
				<property name="ToolCategory.Butcher" value="0" param1="4.4"/>
	</append>	

<!-- ??? DFmeleeTazasSpear -->
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/property[@name='Tags']/@value">,perkTheHuntsman</append>
	<set xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage' and @operation='base_set']/@value">42</set>
	<remove	xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']/passive_effect[@name='AttacksPerMinute']"/>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/effect_group[@name='Base Effects']">
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="61" />
				<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="perc_add" value="0,.6" tier="1,80" />				
	</append>
	<append xpath="//item[@name='DFmeleeTazasSpear']/property[contains(@class, 'Action')]">
	</append>	
</configs>

It changes slightly the damage per hit, increases slightly the number of hits per min and allows salavaging of dead creatures/zombies, like the hunting knives.

Yes that's intended. You don't get to go faster (turbo) and save fuel. 😛 (My car is a turbo diesel, the turbo is fun, the fuel economy sucks when you use it)

Already did a balance pass on spears/clubs. Waiting on tester feedback.

1 hour ago, Nickguy5467 said:

dont know if it's already been said, but i found cheese and it makes me sad that i have it as an option now T_T  you can hide in the trader posts at night and dont kick you out like in vanilla game. Any zombies get gunned down . any patch in mind for  this?

You could just NOT hide in the trader.

And guards are being removed.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

Yes that's intended. You don't get to go faster (turbo) and save fuel. 😛 (My car is a turbo diesel, the turbo is fun, the fuel economy sucks when you use it)

Already did a balance pass on spears/clubs. Waiting on tester feedback.

You could just NOT hide in the trader.

And guards are being removed.

maybe hide was the wrong word, but just a few hours ago i was able to sit in the guard tower (one of the new ones from the mod) while zombies got gunned down until they were overwhelming and busted through the walls like the Kool-Aid Man and killed me. close enough 😃

As I suspected, intentional. Thanks for confirming. I was just checking that my understanding of the xml was not wonky.

Spears, yup, thought it might be the case, revision, hence me specifying what version I was using.

I basically tried to mimic the knives, with more damage, but lowered the gains from hunting.

I can confirm that for me, zd's can still get ya, even with the increased number of attacks.

No comment on the spike traps code? I still have a hankering for picking up stuff and moving it around, lol.

Regarding the other questions, 1 and 2 I think, I got a great reply from another post I made, pointing me to xml.txt.

Not a place I had considered looking, in the data folder. Quite a long read but lots of it made sense.

Plus I now see that the xml has been evolving over many versions. Good to know.

Still following your corner, just tit plated your h base, mainly.

Keep up the good work, mod and play through. It is interesting to see what aspects of the game you find important and what you are not really bothered with. An example would be crowbar vs lock picking. Each to their own, but it is illuminating.

Ta.

16 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

On the spikes, no, cos I legit haven't tried that code so I have no idea if it'd work or not.

I used a mod that enable to pickup spike traps at a 19.x DF playthrough and worked well.

But i can't say which mod it was, i found serveral ones which add a similar behavior.

You just should try them out at a SP game and still can remove it when it don't works.

4 hours ago, Xtracker said:

Hey guys i can't figure out how craft workstation it says need perk ... so i click it and it redirect me to skill tree.. and there is no where.

I must find a blueprint ?

You can unlock it with a blueprint or over the skill tree.

Not sure without looking at the game if it is the inteligence skill tree or one of the class ones.

4 hours ago, Xtracker said:

Hey guys i can't figure out how craft workstation it says need perk ... so i click it and it redirect me to skill tree.. and there is no where.

I must find a blueprint ?

Then open the skill tree and search for the name of the perk? 😛

13 hours ago, Canute said:

You can unlock it with a blueprint or over the skill tree.

Not sure without looking at the game if it is the inteligence skill tree or one of the class ones.

13 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Then open the skill tree and search for the name of the perk? 😛

Thank you so much for the answers, that's why ... because I play translated mod (Polish) there are many mistakes and bad translaction.

9 hours ago, Xtracker said:

Thank you so much for the answers, that's why ... because I play translated mod (Polish) there are many mistakes and bad translaction.

That's why i stoped to play fanbased tranlation and stay with engl.

Not to speak it is easier to find the proper entry at the wiki's of that game.

3 hours ago, Nickguy5467 said:

the more eggs mod doesnt work with DF. makes me sad because eggs are so dang rare T_T are there any similar mods that work in this way?

You can build and place chicken nest, good chances for egg's.

Since you can place alot of them, you shouldn't have problems with eggs. You just need animal feed to refill/rearm them.

But when you got problems with your hunger at early stages, you better should look into apples or yucca fruits and roast them over the campfire then to look into eggs.

5 hours ago, Nickguy5467 said:

the more eggs mod doesnt work with DF. makes me sad because eggs are so dang rare T_T are there any similar mods that work in this way?

1 hour ago, Canute said:

That's why i stoped to play fanbased tranlation and stay with engl.

Not to speak it is easier to find the proper entry at the wiki's of that game.

You can build and place chicken nest, good chances for egg's.

Since you can place alot of them, you shouldn't have problems with eggs. You just need animal feed to refill/rearm them.

But when you got problems with your hunger at early stages, you better should look into apples or yucca fruits and roast them over the campfire then to look into eggs.

^ this ;)

2 hours ago, SirMcCabbage said:

idk if this is the right thread to be asking questions let me know if its not. But im confused on item quality for darkness falls. what is the max quality and mod limit. And i know you can unlock higher tier like iron and such but how do you get better quality.

You either find better quality in loot or have to learn higher crafting skills.

2 hours ago, SirMcCabbage said:

idk if this is the right thread to be asking questions let me know if its not. But im confused on item quality for darkness falls. what is the max quality and mod limit. And i know you can unlock higher tier like iron and such but how do you get better quality.

Looting, better lootquality helps you to find better quality. There is a skill (lucky looter ?) and some equipment (some glasses) that raise it.

Crafting, you need to advance at the crafting skill of that item to get 50+ quality. Some Master skills further can give you +10 quality.

But maybe you notice self, nearly each weapon type got his own skill requirement for crafting, that made it very hard or impossible that you can craft all items on very high quality.

Mosttimes i find 50+ item with looting, keep these and use the workbench combine feature to repair them with lower quality ones.