Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Animation/Pathing will be a little bit choppy because it's using imported animations rather than the ones built into the game. :) Kind annoying, but it's something on my "fix in the future when I have more experience" pile.

Problem I've noticed with the hornets is you sometimes have to spawn about 4 or 5 of them to get the buggers to show up. Don't worry, they WILL find you in-game because I keep having people complain about them. :D

As for the hornet through the door... they aren't supposed to do that... but that was pretty funny!

Ye, kinda my own fault, I spawned it but couldn't find it, ran inside the house and.. there he was!

Also I've done some changes to the settings, I increased the zombie block damage by tripling their damage (leaving behemoth alone!), tripling their health and tenfolding headshot damage, the hp and damage against zombies is fine. However their damage against the blocks were way to high, there is simply no way to survive day 7. So I'm thinking that maybe we shouldn't do anything to make the horde nights harder? What exactly have you done with the mod, to make the horde nights harder? Cause we had like 3 rad zombies the first night as well.

I made my own horde gamestages.

What you could do is go into the gamestage file and set maxzombies to 256 and maxalive to 64. That'll give you a LOT of zombies. :)

You could also swap out any group that says ZombiesNight with ZombiesFeralNight.

Most people tend to be around Gamestage 50 on Horde night, and these are the first few gamestages for hordes.

<gamestage stage="1"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="1" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="25"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="55" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="50"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="55" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="75"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="104" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="100"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="104" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

I made my own horde gamestages.

What you could do is go into the gamestage file and set maxzombies to 256 and maxalive to 64. That'll give you a LOT of zombies. :)

You could also swap out any group that says ZombiesNight with ZombiesFeralNight.

Most people tend to be around Gamestage 50 on Horde night, and these are the first few gamestages for hordes.

<gamestage stage="1"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="1" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="25"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="55" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="50"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="20" maxAlive="50" duration="2"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="55" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="75"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="104" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>
<gamestage stage="100"><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="24" maxAlive="50" duration="3"/><spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="104" maxAlive="50"/></gamestage>

Ah awesome, won't maxzombies 256 get a bit laggy tho? What happens if I increase horde night zombies in the default server config file to be 64 (max), and max amount of zombies to 80? Will it affect the zombies at all or not?

MaxAlive just helps fix the "trickle". Num is what determines how many turn up and the server settings ALWAYS take precedent over the gamestage settings. :)

So if you set it to 32, that's what you'll get no matter what I put in the gamestage file.

Alright cool, I put it to 16 this time, we'll see what happens on day 7 :p We just wiped, found a house but regarded it a bit as cheating, it had a vault door down in the basement with concrete and 2 forges, felt like jumping instantly to day 7 progress on the first day.

We've been trying to find a seed with mountain walls, we'd love to build straight into one and have our base there, but we cant seem to find any nice mountains so far.

I found a typo in the gamestage.xml for one the of zombies. It's in every entry for that entity.

<entity name="ZUMABuisnesswoman" />

I've been tinkering in the gamestage.xml as well. The last couple of horde nights on my dedicated had some serious server lag (CPU utilization stayed around 60%, and RAM used was 9GB out of 16GB). It "seems" like it happens when the bears show up. For now, I've lowered maxspawned to 40, however, the 7 Days server console was throwing some weird errors (I didn't capture them) regarding writing back to the save game location.

Edit question: What is the duration value? I'm seeing values from 1-3.

Also, I'm able to craft titanium bars (not forged titanium, the bars for like windows and such) in the advanced forge without learning the titanium recipe (I'm not level 150 or whatever). I think I got the bar recipe from one of the masteries.

Anyway, the group is having fun with Darkness Falls. :) Running over entities with the minibike is one of the salient features. ;)

Edited by Jazual (see edit history)

MaxAlive just helps fix the "trickle". Num is what determines how many turn up and the server settings ALWAYS take precedent over the gamestage settings. :)

So if you set it to 32, that's what you'll get no matter what I put in the gamestage file.

Would you know how to edit the rwgmixer to generate more hills? Really looking forward to building straight into a mountain, last time we did that we had a really bad mountain. We're looking for something like

however if it was even steeper we'd be really happy, think the canyon on navezgane :p

I found a typo in the gamestage.xml for one the of zombies. It's in every entry for that entity.

<entity name="ZUMABuisnesswoman" />

I've been tinkering in the gamestage.xml as well. The last couple of horde nights on my dedicated had some serious server lag (CPU utilization stayed around 60%, and RAM used was 9GB out of 16GB). It "seems" like it happens when the bears show up. For now, I've lowered maxspawned to 40, however, the 7 Days server console was throwing some weird errors (I didn't capture them) regarding writing back to the save game location.

Edit question: What is the duration value? I'm seeing values from 1-3.

Also, I'm able to craft titanium bars (not forged titanium, the bars for like windows and such) in the advanced forge without learning the titanium recipe (I'm not level 150 or whatever). I think I got the bar recipe from one of the masteries.

Anyway, the group is having fun with Darkness Falls. :) Running over entities with the minibike is one of the salient features. ;)

It's entirely possible I'm just dumb and don't know how to spell. ;)

Don't lower the maxspawned. Lower the amount of zombies that the server decides can be spawned as that is what ultimately controls horde nights. You can test this yourself by setting 8 as the max, then 16, 32, etc. I think TFP said 32 gets really, really laggy.

Not 100% sure on the duration value, but that gamestage file is an edited version of Guppy's Trickle Fox, so if anyone knows... it will definitely be him.

Will check the bars. That should absolutely be perk-locked, though I may have allowed it for construction and miner. I need to check that.

Would you know how to edit the rwgmixer to generate more hills? Really looking forward to building straight into a mountain, last time we did that we had a really bad mountain. We're looking for something like
however if it was even steeper we'd be really happy, think the canyon on navezgane :p

Try this.

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="finalLand"/>
<property name="scale" value="250"/>
</module>

Increase scale. I find increments of 50 works. Bear in mind this will lower the overall areas of flat land so you may get smaller cities. That's the "quick and dirty" way to do it. :)

This is the hard way.

<module name="fastMountainsBase" type="FastRidgedMultifractal">
<property name="frequency" value="0.25"/>
</module>
<module name="fastMountainsT" type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountainsBase"/>
<property name="power" value="5"/>
<!-- <property name="frequency" value="0.25"/> -->
<property name="frequency" value="0.5"/>
<property name="roughness" value="1"/>
</module>
<module name="fastMountainsScaled" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountainsT"/>
<property name="scale" value="0.3"/>
</module>

Try messing around with frequency and power. That will take a LOT of restarts and world generating though.

Don't lower the maxspawned. Lower the amount of zombies that the server decides can be spawned as that is what ultimately controls horde nights. You can test this yourself by setting 8 as the max, then 16, 32, etc. I think TFP said 32 gets really, really laggy.

Hmm. I'm confused. I set the gamepref in serverconfig.xml MaxSpawnedZombies to 40. I didn't edit the gamestages.xml.

So how I'm understanding it, MaxSpawnedZombies is the maximum allowed to spawn at any one time.

BloodMoonEnemyCount is set to 12, so my assumption here, is that it spawns 12 zombies per player (to a maximum of 40).

Now, in the gamestages.xml, I'm seeing lines like the following;

<gamestage stage="800"><spawn group="ZombieFeralNight" num="83" maxAlive="87" duration="3"/><spawn group="BaseBreakersBears" num="83" maxAlive="87" duration="3"

I'm guessing my cap of 40 is overriding the maxAlive value of 87, and the num is the total from that group that will spawn for that gamestage.

I'm really liking Guppy's values, as it extends horde night, however, there have a couple of nights where we must have reached the maximum "num" value for each group, as around 1AM the zombies just stopped spawning (except for the few crawlers that take all night to get there, heh).

So that's why I edited MaxSpawnedZombies to 40... to reduce the number of zombies causing a load on the server. Or do I have things borked?

Also, do the survivors count towards MaxSpawnedZombies, or MaxSpawnedAnimals? Or are they completely different. There sure are a lot of them. I think they may be secret members of Hydra.

Thanks man, and cheers!

-J

It's entirely possible I'm just dumb and don't know how to spell. ;)

Not 100% sure on the duration value, but that gamestage file is an edited version of Guppy's Trickle Fox, so if anyone knows... it will definitely be him.

Will check the bars. That should absolutely be perk-locked, though I may have allowed it for construction and miner. I need to check that.

Try this.

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="finalLand"/>
<property name="scale" value="250"/>
</module>

Increase scale. I find increments of 50 works. Bear in mind this will lower the overall areas of flat land so you may get smaller cities. That's the "quick and dirty" way to do it. :)

This is the hard way.

<module name="fastMountainsBase" type="FastRidgedMultifractal">
<property name="frequency" value="0.25"/>
</module>
<module name="fastMountainsT" type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountainsBase"/>
<property name="power" value="5"/>
<!-- <property name="frequency" value="0.25"/> -->
<property name="frequency" value="0.5"/>
<property name="roughness" value="1"/>
</module>
<module name="fastMountainsScaled" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountainsT"/>
<property name="scale" value="0.3"/>
</module>

Try messing around with frequency and power. That will take a LOT of restarts and world generating though.

Alright, that sounds nice. I've been changing the roughness as well, thought that meant the frequency of extremes in the slopes. What's the different between Scaled, Base and fastMountains?

Hmm. I'm confused. I set the gamepref in serverconfig.xml MaxSpawnedZombies to 40. I didn't edit the gamestages.xml.

So how I'm understanding it, MaxSpawnedZombies is the maximum allowed to spawn at any one time.

BloodMoonEnemyCount is set to 12, so my assumption here, is that it spawns 12 zombies per player (to a maximum of 40).

Now, in the gamestages.xml, I'm seeing lines like the following;

<gamestage stage="800"><spawn group="ZombieFeralNight" num="83" maxAlive="87" duration="3"/><spawn group="BaseBreakersBears" num="83" maxAlive="87" duration="3"

I'm guessing my cap of 40 is overriding the maxAlive value of 87, and the num is the total from that group that will spawn for that gamestage.

I'm really liking Guppy's values, as it extends horde night, however, there have a couple of nights where we must have reached the maximum "num" value for each group, as around 1AM the zombies just stopped spawning (except for the few crawlers that take all night to get there, heh).

So that's why I edited MaxSpawnedZombies to 40... to reduce the number of zombies causing a load on the server. Or do I have things borked?

Also, do the survivors count towards MaxSpawnedZombies, or MaxSpawnedAnimals? Or are they completely different. There sure are a lot of them. I think they may be secret members of Hydra.

Thanks man, and cheers!

-J

Ah! My apologies. I thought you were editing the max zombies in the gamestage file, not the server file. I believe you are correct, it should spawn 12 zombies per player up to the 40 max and yes, your setting is overriding it as far as I know. :)

The reason the zombies stop for a while is literally because of the crawlers. Basically the game divides it up into "waves" and only spawns the next one once everything in the previous one is dead. Crawlers cause issues with that, which is why you can go without a wave for ages and then a couple of crawlers come along like "...sup? Party still on? Sorry we're late!"

So looks like I need to check that... again. :D

I believe survivors and bandits have their own setting, but I'm not entirely sure what that is. They definitely do not count as a zombie.

Alright, that sounds nice. I've been changing the roughness as well, thought that meant the frequency of extremes in the slopes. What's the different between Scaled, Base and fastMountains?

I think you're correct on the roughness, at least from when I initially did some experimentation and ended up with an absolute monstrosity of a world. Kinda wish I'd taken some screenshots tbh. :)

Honestly? Not entirely sure. I think the base is what it starts with, scaled is where you can alter it and FastMountains is the result. But Tin knows way, way, WAY more than me and the rwgmixer is massively based off his work. So if anyone can answer a question about that file full of black magic, it's him! :)

I think you're correct on the roughness, at least from when I initially did some experimentation and ended up with an absolute monstrosity of a world. Kinda wish I'd taken some screenshots tbh. :)

Honestly? Not entirely sure. I think the base is what it starts with, scaled is where you can alter it and FastMountains is the result. But Tin knows way, way, WAY more than me and the rwgmixer is massively based off his work. So if anyone can answer a question about that file full of black magic, it's him! :)

Hahaha, ye, I messed around tons as well, got a world which was really "flat" but it had spikes/stalagmites coming out of the ground every meter, they were scattered all over the world, saw Tins thread and saved it to bookmarks but haven't had time to read it yet. I've been trying to find the right RWG for our group myself, but when it seems I'm getting close, it's a U turn from there. Had worlds that looked almost perfect, except that the steep mountains were way too thin, like 10-15 blocks, so I increased the power and BAM! I had mountains everywhere, it's strange.

I still really like your RWG, I find it better than the vanilla RWG, I'm just a sucker for building straight into the mountain and call it Moria.

Another question, we really dislike wasteland, it's... disgusting, mines, looks bad, what would happen if I removed the probability for it to spawn, and gave it a 0% chance to spawn?

Highly recommend removing crawlers from horde nights...

Why? On my server we've made zombies really strong against attacks, we tenfolded their HP, but also increased HS multiplier by 3-4x, even on the crawlers. It worked fine, we barely survived day 7 but we managed.

Edited by Blindguard (see edit history)

Because they count towards the maxalive, get stuck a lot, and move slower than the rest, thus you get less zombies.

Ah strange, we never had this issue during horde night : / we did however set max zombies to 16 instead of the default 8, we got pretty overrun.

Highly recommend removing crawlers from horde nights...

Yeah, that's my bad. I forgot to remove them from the spawning group I use cos I'm dumb. :D

Hahaha, ye, I messed around tons as well, got a world which was really "flat" but it had spikes/stalagmites coming out of the ground every meter, they were scattered all over the world, saw Tins thread and saved it to bookmarks but haven't had time to read it yet. I've been trying to find the right RWG for our group myself, but when it seems I'm getting close, it's a U turn from there. Had worlds that looked almost perfect, except that the steep mountains were way too thin, like 10-15 blocks, so I increased the power and BAM! I had mountains everywhere, it's strange.

I still really like your RWG, I find it better than the vanilla RWG, I'm just a sucker for building straight into the mountain and call it Moria.

Another question, we really dislike wasteland, it's... disgusting, mines, looks bad, what would happen if I removed the probability for it to spawn, and gave it a 0% chance to spawn?

Why? On my server we've made zombies really strong against attacks, we tenfolded their HP, but also increased HS multiplier by 3-4x, even on the crawlers. It worked fine, we barely survived day 7 but we managed.

Wasteland doesn't have a probability to spawn in my mod. It straight up spawns at the centre. That's absolutely intended because it's supposed to be an "end game" area. As in, you only go there if you absolutely KNOW you want to go there and accept the danger that comes with it.

I don't recommend removing it for that reason, but you should be able to comment it out. However the texture is getting replaced in v1.8 to give it more of a "nuclear wasteland" feel. :)

As for the crawlers, Guppy recommends removing them because it screws up the "wave spawning" of horde nights.

EDIT: This is what I mean about the wasteland. Screenshot was taken before I started messing around with the UI like a complete n00b.

7DaysToDie_2018-05-11_03-34-21.png

Because they count towards the maxalive, get stuck a lot, and move slower than the rest, thus you get less zombies.

So the vulture spawns could be creating that delay too. They tend to flap around a bit, and in some cases wander off.

Thanks Guppy. So Khaine mentioned that you could define the duration value? Pretty please?

Khaine, the only entity groups that I could find crawlers listed in that's getting called from the

BloodMoonHorde entry in gamestages, are the ZombieBadassGroup, and the ZombieFeralNight. I went ahead and removed them.

So the vulture spawns could be creating that delay too. They tend to flap around a bit, and in some cases wander off.

Thanks Guppy. So Khaine mentioned that you could define the duration value? Pretty please?

Khaine, the only entity groups that I could find crawlers listed in that's getting called from the

BloodMoonHorde entry in gamestages, are the ZombieBadassGroup, and the ZombieFeralNight. I went ahead and removed them.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll make sure they get removed in my files too. :)

Yeah, that's my bad. I forgot to remove them from the spawning group I use cos I'm dumb. :D

Wasteland doesn't have a probability to spawn in my mod. It straight up spawns at the centre. That's absolutely intended because it's supposed to be an "end game" area. As in, you only go there if you absolutely KNOW you want to go there and accept the danger that comes with it.

I don't recommend removing it for that reason, but you should be able to comment it out. However the texture is getting replaced in v1.8 to give it more of a "nuclear wasteland" feel. :)

As for the crawlers, Guppy recommends removing them because it screws up the "wave spawning" of horde nights.

EDIT: This is what I mean about the wasteland. Screenshot was taken before I started messing around with the UI like a complete n00b.

7DaysToDie_2018-05-11_03-34-21.png

Ah good, ye, it's fine if the middle is chaotic, as long as it's not outside of the middle, cause that place is absolute cancer.

Oh ye, we noticed that we had lag during the first horde night, day 7, we are using the default settings except that we changed horde zombies to 16 per player rather than the default 8 in serversettings, and max amount of zombies to 80, but would the default settings really make a difference?

I mean, we both got pretty high end PCs, and the server is a dedicated one with 32GB ram and the new i7 coffeelake on it.

Edited by Blindguard (see edit history)

I haven't found any veins for sulfer, however, it mines as a secondary resource from lead and iron nodes.

Aye, I've found them in the burnt forest ground as well, when farming fertilizer, it would be really nice if you could find them underground in your mines though.

Ah good, ye, it's fine if the middle is chaotic, as long as it's not outside of the middle, cause that place is absolute cancer.

Oh ye, we noticed that we had lag during the first horde night, day 7, we are using the default settings except that we changed horde zombies to 16 per player rather than the default 8 in serversettings, and max amount of zombies to 80, but would the default settings really make a difference?

I mean, we both got pretty high end PCs, and the server is a dedicated one with 32GB ram and the new i7 coffeelake on it.

Probably. Even my overclocked 6800K struggles with 16 zombies, though I found turning shadows off REALLY helps. That was actually playable then.

I haven't found any veins for sulfer, however, it mines as a secondary resource from lead and iron nodes.

Yeah, I didn't put sulfur veins in. It's a secondary drop from iron ore veins, lead ore veins and burnt forest dirt ground. :)

Sulfur isn't much of a bottleneck after your harvesting 6+ rotten meat from corpses with a titanium machete after horde night. The dogs and bears give much more.

I almost to want ask if it can be toned down, haha.

I also found another typo in the Sunblocker description. "Whenerver it's told." That could be the pronunciation from the book/movie of course, I just can't remember. 😁