Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Another question, how to I get the portable lathe? Sorry for all the questions new to the mod. Thanks in advance for your help!

The lathe is a rare drop only. Were 24 days in and still havent found it yet. Also havent found research notes.

Love this modpack like its amazing. When we play off a personal set up and then invite players in its magical, but this makes a PC have to be server.

We rented a server from Bluefang solutions and set it all up but the pack was night and day different. It spawned us into the same world and even location no matter what (even after reinstall) and even on the lowest settings we were killed repeatedly and immediately. There were no guards at the trader and it was swiftly overtaken without our even being there. Even the music and sound effects were different! The Bandits and Survivors were insanely numerous in comparison as well.

How can we play it like it is on a single player solo game on a server? Is that possible? I seriously love this modpack but cant take the 2 hours to load it when using our pcs as a server. Only 3 of us play together and two are in the same house. Hardwire connections.

Let me know if there is any other info I can provide to help sort this out.

Traders don't have guards on servers. That was intentional due to a bug. You can copy the trader files from the client version to the server to restore them because I THINK the bug is fixed, but it's an at your own risk thing.

I keep telling people NOT to use the trader as a base. :p

You could always run the dedicated server files from steam on a PC and play it like that instead. It actually helps with lag a bit too.

@KhaineGB: I found that the "DFmeleeSpearTitanium" seems to be the odd one out as it says in recipe it's crafted with weldingtorch, though if you try to craft it there you find no "Craft" button, my friend then tried around while i was checking in the xml and we found it works on the normal workbench while

<recipe name="DFmeleeSpearTitanium" count="1" tags="learnable">
<ingredient name="DFresourceArrowHeadTitanium" count="2"/>
<ingredient name="resourceWood" count="10"/>
<ingredient name="resourceLeather" count="5"/>
</recipe>

does not even suggest that either. Please update the info where it's crafted or make it so it needs the metalworkbench to craft as it says in the info.

Also, i believe the "BlockRange" of the titanium spear is a bit over the top with 15, let's you harvest grass from the other side of the road, but zombies need to still be nearly as close as when you use a club for example.

I wrote a little modification for me and my friends to have all spears have a 5 Block- and MaxRange as well as 6 with Power Attacks (a lot slower then club Power Attack so imho reasonable), compared to other weapons like the club with only 3.

That way the long spear does not feel like a toothpick anymore, but actually like a long weapon to poke zeds eyes out with.

Still not so easy to aim, but with the range more realistic and finally a weapon able to keep the zombies from infecting you if you miss the swing.

Well since you put the titanium spear in, maybe you might be interested in trying the 5 for block and entity range.

While i am talking about the spear, do you know if it's possible to allow spears to be used to attack through "iron bars" for example?

Keep the zeds coming and thanks for the constant improvements.

Xylvier

Mmmkay, so I have a localization issue to fix.... thanks for letting me know. :)

I know there was a reason I kept the range low-ish... and I have no idea why I set it to 15 on the titanium one. Will have to look into that.

No it's not possible to make the spears poke through bars because it's a melee weapon and bars block melee weapons but not missles like arrows/gun fire.

I wonder if I can use hitmask_override on that...

If i read that right, you learned the survivalist class, while the bow is in there,

the steel crossbow is in the Hunter Class mastery. Means you may need to get another class going.

Laborer does not make it impossible, it's just some skills that you could buy will be blocked by classes since they already offer the skills.

@KhaineGB: please correct the post above, it's not survivalist but the hunter that get's the steel crossbow

This is what I get for having a million XML files open at once.

Yep, it's master hunter... not survivalist. Just checked it. :)

I spelled it wrong last time. If you make radiation invisible so that it doesn't appear on the map. The player comes to radiation and he starts to fall health, not as fast as now.

It's like death out of nowhere. You do not know where these beautiful red areas are drawn on the map, do not see clear boundaries. You can take risks and run in the field of radiation. Let's say 10 minutes it is possible to live without protection, but health all the time is reduced.

Now I clearly understand where there is radiation and took the habit of constantly pressing the "M" key to see the red area on the map. If desired, I can stay in one block of radiation and enjoy life. And if the radiation will be invisible and kill quietly, so the player does not immediately realize that he has already passed the point of no return from the field of radiation (or failed, I think now, panic), then instead of joy appears harsh survival.

Now if the dealer gives the quest in the radiation area, you can simply remove. Because the map is full of other places. And in radioactive places, there's nothing unique about going there.

Radiation is not invisible on the map. I made it red like it used to be in A16.

And there IS a point to that biome. You're just not high enough level for it to matter yet. ;)

Disguised? .. means they come as dogs and turn into the smoking zeds or what now?

I encountered the smoking zeds (smoke makes them easy to distinguish oh and they all can puke like police zeds) around horde on "day" 21 as well, but levels can be affected by so much and game-stage as well :p

Regarding the advanced forge, it seems to stop when you open it, before the last patch i believe it was snailing down the game too much and may have been adjusted that way. If you put something in the adv. forge and close it wait a bit and open again it should have molten some already. At least that is how it works for me.

Should you still not get titanium molten, may that be for you do not have the perk for handling titanium, best guess.

Have fun with the smokers, they will now bother you more and more.

No idea what's going on with the advanced forge. It was working fine in 17.2, I didn't change anything and it's using a slightly altered Forge UI + the forge class... so maybe TFP tweaked something on the forge block class? I mean, they already tweaked the AI and didn't tell us...

1) Depends where you're looking. I didn't alter sleeper gamestages at all, so that's like vanilla. Wasteland in general is tougher than most other biomes.

2) At the moment, from the bunkers. They will drop from feral lab zombies and feral hazmat zombies in 2.11.

1) Depends where you're looking. I didn't alter sleeper gamestages at all, so that's like vanilla. Wasteland in general is tougher than most other biomes.

2) At the moment, from the bunkers. They will drop from feral lab zombies and feral hazmat zombies in 2.11.

Crazy how quickly the sleepers are escalating if those arent changing. Literally opened a crack abook with 2 Feral Wrights, plus 4-5 "normal" Ferals plus about 10 additional zombos.

Bunkers? Like the hidden military bunkers? Or something else. We were playing in the wasteland and found multiple behemouths and had to bolt.

Could be worse.

In 17.0, I did a clear sleepers quest, went into the attic of a house at like... level 3... and there were 3 ferals in there... T1 quest.

Yeah, I died. That was vanilla too. :D

And yes, like the hidden military bunkers. There's some in the burnt biome and some in the wasteland.

Also, just to point out, the perk you're trying to unlock with research notes REQUIRES player level 75 as a minimum. At that point you should be able to fight behemoths if you have the right gear and play smart.

OK, love the mod, but I do have one minor gripe. Why is Titanium better than Steel?

According to Quora (https://www.quora.com/Is-titanium-stronger-than-steel-and-what-is-it-about-titanium-that-makes-it-so-difficult-to-manufacture):

"Titanium has higher tensile strength per mass but not by volume. A kilogram of Titanium can take more force than a kilogram of pretty much every other metal. However titanium is not very dense (which gives it its light weight). What this means is that while a kilogram block of titanium is stronger than a kilogram block of steel the block of titanium is almost twice as large as the block of steel. So unless someone wants to make their product almost twice as large in order to get that strength advantage steel is always preferable for making strong objects. Steel is also harder than titanium. Titanium deforms more easily than steel. This is why titanium blades are always on par at best with equivalent sized low grade steel blades as titanium blades lose their edge very easily. For things like nuts and bolts and screws equivalent sized steel items are always preferable unless you want to sacrifice strength for lighter weight (which you shouldn't for things like bolts and what not)."

So a Titanium version of a 10lb sledge would have a 5lb head, and titanium axes, picks and blades would wear out faster...

A better material (IMO) would be Tungsten, which is more dense and harder than steel.

...Sorry, just my 2 cents... Love the mod though! :D

Could be worse.

In 17.0, I did a clear sleepers quest, went into the attic of a house at like... level 3... and there were 3 ferals in there... T1 quest.

Yeah, I died. That was vanilla too. :D

And yes, like the hidden military bunkers. There's some in the burnt biome and some in the wasteland.

Also, just to point out, the perk you're trying to unlock with research notes REQUIRES player level 75 as a minimum. At that point you should be able to fight behemoths if you have the right gear and play smart.

The reason why I could't find any of those bunkers was because I was looking for them in the wasteland - but they were in radiation zone only. Quite an adventure in squeeshy full hazmat suit :) After that I found 1 smaller version in burned biome in a well ( like 5 km away :) )

I was using old map before you made some changes.

And those portals - those are nasty little "cute flying behemoths" - took me awhile to realize those portals weren't meant for traveling to friendly dimensions lol. And when I destroy them - do they respawn later?

Response.

3) Grease Monkey 1. It absolutely exists. You also don't need to craft wheels.

Perk description doesn't list this then then and yeah I needed to craft wheels because I was out and just not finding them, of course right after i crafted the wheels I wanted I found a working stiff tools box with like 3 of them in it. Funny.

4) That's kinda the point since you need to finish a class AND get it's mastery AND take the appropriate crafting perk to level. It's called a reward for spending a ton of time doing something. As for the military armor, it absolutely doesn't have an armor rating that high. It's 8 PER PIECE at T8, which caps out at 48 physical damage resistance in total for all 5 pieces. Anything else is likely mods you have installed.

Might be 8 per piece for you, but in game for me right now it's 14 at t8. As far as modlets go I have jax tellers less grass and a couple of donovan mods for longer lootbags better buffs and better powertools. That is all. Also finishing a class is nothing, takes like.. 5 minutes (definitely not the approximately 60 minutes you claim on the mod launcher description), getting the mastery is equally really nothing, also putting a point into a perk equally doesn't exactly take a lot of time or effort. You keep typing AND like any of those things on their own is something and tying them all together magically makes this take a ton of time but that just isn't the case, if its taking you 60 minutes to do a class quest you're doing something wrong in your own mod man. Hell you even changed everything to gather to make it even shorter, finishing the last couple of quests is just a matter of opening a chest a pulling the stuff out that you've already acquired.

5) Will probably revisit this later, but how about using the crosshair? :p

smart ass reply aside yeah you can use the crosshair or throw on a sight but it's jarring for sure. Feels like I'm Aiming at the ceiling or that I cannot hold a shotgun straight. Ideally I'd want to remove the crosshair completely because it's also jarring but that's not the purview of this mod and irrelevant. Was just reporting that it was happening.

6) That's the point. It's end game armor.

That's fine and all but is there no thought to balance? I thought the purpose of this mod was to make the game more difficult not cheesemode when you can kite out anything that does manage to hit you doesn't do any damage. Feels easymode to stand next to some zombies on hordenight (radiated ferals) and let them whack me something like 8 times before i feel like i should back up to heal.

7) Again, that's the point. ;) Titanium takes ages to get to, as such you should feel suitable rewarded.

Ages might be an exaggeration, you need the class mastery which is nothing, you need the raw material which a jaunt into the wasteland to pick up some surface ore will do or just mine to bedrock, and you need a crucible. None of that seems like it's taking aeons. Had titanium armor before finding demons or behemoths. Still haven't seen a behemoth though and on day 34 now. I feel over-rewarded. If you bumrushed titanium armor you could easily get it by day 2-3 by picking the security class with the 2 starter books and then drilling an early mine shaft to bedrock for the titanium, take laborer as your second class for early forge then go look for crucibles or a welding torch to craft the crucible. This maybe already has some sort of level requirement but if so I was already past the level requirement when I went for titanium and I cannot see it anymore.

9) It also has a range of basically point blank. The base damage of the ammo is 25, which is the same as a stone arrow... so by that logic, should the wooden bow be nerfed too for having more damage than a shotgun? Also, shotgun SLUG base damage is 80.

Its base damage is 25 on the shotgun but the base damage on blunderbuss ammo is insane at 25 per pellet at 8 pellets. That's not just 1 25 damage. That's 8 25 damages. Like shooting 8 stone arrows in an instant. The weapon is currently killing things and then over-damaging them enough to destroy corpses immediately too in the case of animals like deer/boar. It nukes ♥♥♥♥ into oblivion. The shotgun slug base damage being 80 is the reason why the shotgun slug is unusable. It is one pellet. 12x8>1x80 Slugs cost a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot less damage and that's just comparing them to normal shotgun shells. Math is good.

Important to note is that it's made 25x8 by your mod. Base game has the blunderbuss ammo at 11x8 which is still too much but far more sane than having blunderbuss ammo be twice as good as shotgun shells. Your douchey response was unnecessary as well as outright silly considering you couldn't do 25x8>12x8>80x1

10) Most folks in the discord seem to feel it's about right since you can get them from bookcases or safes. I MAY consider tweaking this, but it sounds like you may need to hit up places with lots of bookcases and safes, like a bank.

EDIT: Double checked the loot. They're also in filing cabinets and desks.

Haven't hit banks looking for them, assumed they'd be more common in libraries which is where I get all of my skill notes. Hitting 2 of those libraries up is worth an entire class outright but hardly find schematics in all of those bookcases. Will check banks and stuff now though and see if that makes a difference

I'd also like to add now that demons have a red orb/light thing that completely blots them out. At a distance I can see the demon but up close the orb of light envelops them and can't see jack diddly doo dah.

Also bomber zombies on horde night when you have zombies numbers turned up to say 32 per person and multiple people well.. It'd be different if the bomber zombies were interspersed throughout the night but it's a wave where every damn zombies is bomber and there is smoke EVERYWHERE. If you use base designs where the zombies end up underneath of you and you're say above them shooting down through bars well.. Good luck seeing anything because I sure couldn't. Even on just flat ground running around kiting out the zombies there is just an insane amount of smoke.

The Titanium Machete is held in the hand completely backwards and you strike with the blunt side of the weapon. Still deals damage though.

Nightstalkers cannot get through 1x2 openings or even 2x2 openings. Behemoth will travel right through these openings and can even stand in 2 block tall spaces with his upper torso sticking through the roof but nightstalker gets stuck. You can just stand on the other side of an open doorway and punch them out bare handed.

I'll list more later when I get over this cold. Still absolutely adore the mod despite "Oooookay..." and a bunch of sarcasm as a reply when I try and bring some issues to your attention.

Could you tell me the fix for the wrench-bug? I'm just at the beginning of a new game and my starting professions are laborer and survivalist. After I think the first tow quest of laborer, I lost the receipts for workbenchtools. I don't want to cheat it.

edit: I also lost, forge ahead and iron tools

btw. it is possible to play with A17.4?

Edited by narimbur (see edit history)

This was mentioned before by some people,but i also agree

Please kill all the animals or leave just a few man :D,impossible to get survival feeling when there's so much meat running around,it makes other food sources not necessary,just charred meat is enough in the game.

Same with wood,stone axe gives so much wood that you don't need other types of axes probably.

especialy when wood traps requires so little resources.

By the way,how much RAM do you need for this mod ?

When i play DF custom small map my RAM(16GB) is always on max,does it mean i maybe need 32gb ? :/:)

p.s. Damn traders,when near them FPS goes from 60 to ~40 :(:D

Man i havent had fun with a mod since Undead Legacy A16, love this to death...

I seem to be having an issue with the Pack Mule, it doesnt seem to be working properly... I maxed it out and i only have 39 inventory slots available, not all of them. I have less than 50% total inventory with the perk maxed out...

Im not using any modlets that mess with the inventory nor any other mods.

Man i havent had fun with a mod since Undead Legacy A16, love this to death...

I seem to be having an issue with the Pack Mule, it doesnt seem to be working properly... I maxed it out and i only have 39 inventory slots available, not all of them. I have less than 50% total inventory with the perk maxed out...

Im not using any modlets that mess with the inventory nor any other mods.

You need some mod's for your armor and cloth. I think you can get 27 via this.

I mean the perk itself, its supposed to give us 50+ slots but its not working... The mods for clothing and armor are optional if you dont want to use perk points on it.

It reads like it might give 50+ slots but no, it's still +6 slots per perk point. You need Advanced Tactical Rigging, Large backpack (you spawn in with a small) and triple storage pockets to reach maximum inventory space.

This was mentioned before by some people,but i also agree

Please kill all the animals or leave just a few man :D,impossible to get survival feeling when there's so much meat running around,it makes other food sources not necessary,just charred meat is enough in the game.

Same with wood,stone axe gives so much wood that you don't need other types of axes probably.

especialy when wood traps requires so little resources.

By the way,how much RAM do you need for this mod ?

When i play DF custom small map my RAM(16GB) is always on max,does it mean i maybe need 32gb ? :/:)

p.s. Damn traders,when near them FPS goes from 60 to ~40 :(:D

You can adjust the amount of animals spawned in the settings of your game, server-settings if you run dedicated.

16GB should be more then fine for solo, if you do not run a dedicated and your own game on the same machine.

I did do that and ended up having issues so running a dedicated server now on a 8GB older machine and it's better.

Also the low fps when near traders makes me guess that you play solo, means you have the guards around the trader, if so, you should normally still be fine, BUT in case you end up having those double entities glitch, i would ask you to check if your trader / guard captain is there more then once. Talk to them and see if there is a second one overlapping him. Use command "le" for list entities and if there are more then one, you can just kill one with "kill X" as X being the id of the entity from the previous command.

I play on a dedicated server and for whatever reason had sometimes at a trader 2 guard-captains and traders. After killing a twin of each it was better. But having all guards double can sure make the game lag a lot. One of the reasons why server-side config files have no guards.

Could you tell me the fix for the wrench-bug? I'm just at the beginning of a new game and my starting professions are laborer and survivalist. After I think the first tow quest of laborer, I lost the receipts for workbenchtools. I don't want to cheat it.

edit: I also lost, forge ahead and iron tools

btw. it is possible to play with A17.4?

The general perks you can buy with points or find from books can become disabled when you have a class that has those perks included. Laborer for example becomes able to craft a forge and iron as well as steel (later as only class even titanium) as it's needed for that class to function. Should you have learned or unlocked the perks beforehand, does that generally mean you wasted a point or book. The class when fully gained (mastery) will give you those perks and most the time higher versions of them again.

You may at the start have lost the ability, since you started with the class quest, but once finished you should find that you can craft it again.

Just read in the class info under the first level and the mastery level what you can expect from them and well what perks you may not need to look for books for.

I personally did not update my gameclient to 17.4 but when applying the DF exp. version the game says i play version 17.4 so i guess yes (experimental though)

I mean the perk itself, its supposed to give us 50+ slots but its not working... The mods for clothing and armor are optional if you dont want to use perk points on it.

The Perk only gives you 30 extra slots when maxed out. Just checked, in both stable and experimental version of DF. So you have to use clothes with extra carry capacity and mods like Advancedrigging and such.

Edited by Xylvier (see edit history)

The general perks you can buy with points or find from books can become disabled when you have a class that has those perks included. Laborer for example becomes able to craft a forge and iron as well as steel (later as only class even titanium) as it's needed for that class to function. Should you have learned or unlocked the perks beforehand, does that generally mean you wasted a point or book. The class when fully gained (mastery) will give you those perks and most the time higher versions of them again.

You may at the start have lost the ability, since you started with the class quest, but once finished you should find that you can craft it again.

Just read in the class info under the first level and the mastery level what you can expect from them and well what perks you may not need to look for books for.

Yes, I know this. I my case, after finishing laborer and survivalist, the wrench and clawhammer receipt were still gray and I could not make the items. I just made a non-learnable receipt to fix it for me.

Is it possible to restore the ability to have Horde nights every night? I'm only able to do every 3 days. I've put in a 3 day day variance, but the horde nights are so much fun :p

I want to clarify, is there some file that I can go into and edit to change how often horde night happens. Because the horde night every night option has vanished for me.