Chair mesh/model

Latheos

So I'm working on a signature weapon for Craftworx, and I'm having some trouble with the ammunition for it. I'm trying to use chairs as an ammo source, so that the weapon will fire chairs, but the block mesh info doesn't convert well to an item. I'm running out of ideas to throw at it. I tried looking through the assets file, but since I really don't have all that firm a grasp on how to actually use the UABE tool, I really don't know how or where to find the info I'm seeking.

Here's the mesh and model info in the blocks.xml for the oldChair (which is what I want for the ammo):

<block id="312" name="oldChair">
   <property name="Material" value="wood_weak"/>
   <property name="Shape" value="Ext3dModel"/>    <property name="Texture" value="293"/>
   <property name="Mesh" value="models"/>
   <property name="Model" value="Furniture/chair03" param1="game"/>

That doesn't work for items. Putting the following in the code, which is what I've got at the moment, doesn't quite work:

<property name="Meshfile" value="Furniture/chair03" />

Nor does this:

<property name="Meshfile" value="Blocks/Furniture/chair03Prefab" />

What I'd really like to have is the equivalent of this:

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/RocketLauncher/rocketlauncherPrefab" />
   <property name="HandMeshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/RocketLauncher/rocketlauncherPrefab"/>
   <property name="DropMeshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/RocketLauncher/rocketlauncherPrefab"/>    

... but for the chair mesh.

Any ideas?

The problem isn't with the projectiles, it's with the projectile looking like a chair when it's fired from the weapon. Like Aviary's Lawbreaker, which I added earlier this week, shoots eggs (and the projectile is actually seen as an egg when it shoots).

<item id="2173" name="AviarysLawbreaker">
   <property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/Bows/Crossbow/crossbowPrefab"/>
   <property name="Material" value="metal"/>
   <property name="RepairTools" value="forgedIron"/>
   <property name="HoldType" value="26"/>
   <property name="FuelValue" value="70"/>
   <property name="EconomicValue" value="800"/>
   <property name="DegradationBreaksAfter" value="false"/>
   <property name="SoundJammed" value="ItemNeedsRepair"/>
   <property name="SoundDestroy" value="wooddestroy1"/>
   <property name="CrosshairOnAim" value="false"/> <!-- aimTest -->
   <property name="CrosshairUpAfterShot" value="true"/> <!-- aimTest -->
   <property name="Sound_Sight_In" value="crossbow_sight_in"/>
   <property name="Sound_Sight_Out" value="crossbow_sight_out"/>
   <property class="Action0"> <!-- AttackAction -->
       <property name="Class" value="Launcher"/>
       <!-- <property name="Hitmask_override" value="Arrow"/> -->
       <property name="Delay" value="0.8"/>
       <property name="Crosshair_min_distance" value="30"/> <!-- 30 -->
       <property name="Crosshair_max_distance" value="30"/> <!-- 30 -->
       <property name="Magazine_size" value="1"/>
       <property name="Magazine_items" value="eggAmmo"/>
       <property name="Rays_spread" value="0.012"/>
       <property name="Reload_time" value="1"/>
       <property name="Bullet_icon" value="Items/Food/eggPrefab"/>
       <property name="Sound_start" value="Animals/Chicken/chickenpain"/>
       <property name="Sound_repeat" value=""/>
       <property name="Sound_end" value=""/>
       <property name="Sound_empty" value="weapon_empty"/>
       <property name="Sound_reload" value="crossbow_reload"/>
   </property>
   <property class="Action1"> <!-- UseAction -->
       <property name="Class" value="Zoom"/>
       <property name="Zoom_max_out" value="40"/>
       <property name="Zoom_max_in" value="40"/>
   </property>
   <property class="Attributes">
       <property name="DegradationRate" value="1,1"/>
       <property name="DegradationMax" value="240,600"/>
   </property>
   <property name="Group" value="Ammo/Weapons"/>
   <property name="ActionSkillGroup" value="Archery"/>
   <property name="CraftingSkillGroup" value="craftSkillFletching"/>
   <property name="RepairExpMultiplier" value="5.5"/>
   <property name="PickupJournalEntry" value="alternateAmmoTip"/>
</item>

<item id="2174" name="eggAmmo">
   <property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Food/eggPrefab" />
   <property name="Material" value="organic" />
   <property name="HoldType" value="23" />
   <property name="Stacknumber" value="250" />
   <property class="Action1">
       <!-- UseAction -->
       <property name="Class" value="Projectile" />
       <property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="0" />
       <!-- no expl. -->
       <property name="Velocity" value="40" />
       <property name="FlyTime" value=".5" />
       <property name="LifeTime" value="17" />
       <property name="DamageBonus.head" value="2" />
       <property name="DamageBonus.glass" value="4" />
   </property>
   <property class="Attributes">
       <property name="GetQualityFromWeapon" value="true" />
       <property name="EntityDamage" value="18,42" />
       <property name="BlockDamage" value="1,1" />
       <property name="ApplyBuff" value="0.6,0.6" param1="stunned"/>
   </property>
   <property name="EconomicValue" value="2" />
   <property name="Group" value="Ammo/Weapons" />
   <property name="DescriptionKey" value="eggAmmoDesc" />
   <property name="CraftingSkillGroup" value="craftSkillFletching"/>
</item>

That was fairly simple, as eggs are already an item, so the meshfile was just copied from the entry for eggs. The meshfile for the egg ammo and the bullet icon are the same; if I knew the meshfile value for the chair, I'd plug it into the relative locations for the weapon and the ammo.

No. I just don't have the mental bandwidth to learn it, and I prefer to keep my mod to xml only. I agree that it's pretty nifty when others do it, but it's just not in the cards for me.

It is amazing that folks still think SDX is difficult to use. There is nothing to adding a pre-built mod to the vanilla game using the sdx tool. Its just a few well explained button clicks. If you want to make your own mod, it is also just as simple, assuming you have the new resource (chair) built for you, which many folks here would do in order to get a new cool mod built.

Here's the thing. It may have gotten easier to use. I couldn't say. But it *used* to be very complicated, and that put it far beyond my capabilities.

A couple of important points on that. First, I'm not a coder by nature. I can do some basic html, and was surprised to find myself able to understand the xml used in 7DTD. Back in the late 90s and early '00s, I built databases in Access and, later, in SQL, but all that knowledge is now gone. I had an interesting knack when I was a QA Tester in that I could read C+ well enough to pinpoint problem areas for devs to check into when things broke, but have never figured out how to actually write the stuff myself.

Adding to the problem is that I'm a disabled vet with *actual*, no joking, brain damage from exposure to nerve toxins and other fun things during the first Gulf War, and have suffered multiple strokes. This means that I have some serious problems in learning to do new things (like, say, learning to use UABE or SDX), and that, if I learn something, I generally have to *keep* using it, or the knowledge is gone again after a couple of weeks without using it and I have to learn it all over again, because I can no longer remember how.

So up until this point I've been avoiding SDX because I couldn't figure it out before, and knowing it was beyond my capabilities has kept me to "repurposing" existing game assets. This is its own kind of fun, actually, because making the game do things it wasn't designed for can lead to some entertaining items, with the added bonus that the mod itself doesn't take up a lot of space or resources, so runs a lot cleaner than some of the more complicated ones. I mean, Jax has done some amazing things with Ravenhearst, and I absolutely love all the new things he's brought in, but it does tend to suffer some lag issues when running.

I'll take another look at the current evolution of SDX, and see if it's been simplified enough that I can now figure it out. Until then, though, I still need to find a mesh to make this weapon work, because even if I can figure SDX out, I still will need to have someone build models for me, as I know that's not something in my skillset. (It took me several hours to make the icon for weaponized eggs in Paint.Net, and I'm still not totally satisfied with it if that clarifies my ability with graphic design any.) ;-)

In fact, Xyth and Sphereii have made it so much easier to use that even I'm a convert.

...I find it easier than the mod launcher. =)

Add your mod to a folder, edit an xml, click the checkbox in the program and click play.

I'm a convert.

For use SDX:

- Do i need to use a modified Assembly-CSharp.dll(from SDX) or is it enough to add .dll-files from SDX?

- What happens when comes the patch for 7DtD? Do i need to wait adapted SDX for the new version of the game?

For use SDX:

- Do i need to use a modified Assembly-CSharp.dll(from SDX) or is it enough to add .dll-files from SDX?

- What happens when comes the patch for 7DtD? Do i need to wait adapted SDX for the new version of the game?

Sorry Latheos for this quick little hijack.

n2n1:

SDX instruments, or modifies, the vanilla Assembly-CSharp.dll. You'll need to re-run it against the vanilla DLL every time you add or change an SDX mod. However, SDX keeps a backup, so it's pretty transparent to you.

For each update, you'll need to re-run it. Normally, this is as simple as deleting the back up folder in SDX, and just hitting the Rebuild button. Some mods break in between updates, but most seem to do just fine.

When you download SDX mods, you just copy them into a folder (Targets/7 Days To Die/Mods) and just hit Refresh in the SDX launcher. Then a hit of Build button makes it happen.

To use existing SDX mods, you do not need to know how to code, nor do you need to understand it. You may never actually see code itself.

The SDX Tutorial is very thorough and it looks long and complicated. And while its long, it's not that complicated. We take you through each click needed.

In between Alphas is when things can break with SDX itself, although it should be a lot more resilient than it use to be.

Latheos:

You have done an amazing job re-purposing in-game assets, and I agree that there's a lot of satisfaction with working within the confines of the system itself, and making it do new things. If you do want to take a look at SDX, please feel free to reach out. We are always happy to help, and have a ton of patience for learners of all speeds.

@sphereii

Thanks for the reply!

Let me clarify:

- if I have Assembly-CSharp.dll with my changes, then SDX-utility just patch it (code injection?) to be able to work with the SDX-mods? (ie: I can get my changes + ability to work SDX)

(Yes, I understand that it is possible to make my changes after)

You must not think that i am lazy to check it yourself. Just, i have a tough-minded working environment to create my own mod :)

@sphereii

Thanks for the reply!

Let me clarify:

- if I have Assembly-CSharp.dll with my changes, then SDX-utility just patch it (code injection?) to be able to work with the SDX-mods? (ie: I can get my changes + ability to work SDX)

(Yes, I understand that it is possible to make my changes after)

You must not think that i am lazy to check it yourself. Just, i have a tough-minded working environment to create my own mod :)

No worries at all.

Correct, you can add SDX to stuff you've manually made. SDX can't re-instrument something it's already did, since it explicitly looks for :)

You can do a combination, eventually moving all your stuff to SDX, which may make your turn around and maintenance easier.

Archived