Ravenhearst Mod

JaxTeller718

Latest Information

We have identified several issues that were causing server crashes and game corruptions. Not everyone will see these issues, but these issues ARE present. We spent the entire weekend hammering our test servers in multiple ways, sphereii has been absolutely instrumental in digging into our error logs further than what they can normally display and we have identified several problems and have corrected them. Here is what we have done so far:

1. Custom animals were NOT taking any spike damage. For now we have removed them. Bulls, Cows and Pigs would walk into a spike but just stand there. This would throw a flood of server errors until the server eventually stopped loading the world and would crash. We are now testing extensively HOW to get the animals back in.

2. Several POIS from Magolis Pack are VERY old. Some had block ids that were no longer being used and since our mod uses these block ids things like carrots in place of a door no longer used or a decorating station in stonehenge would be seen. We removed these pois for now until myself or the amazing dancapo can get them fixed up.

3. Some pois are just TOO large. Several POIS like Hotel De Stallion are just too big for the mod. Our mod ius resource heavy as is. Addding a POI like the Hospital (which has 5 times the amount of sleepers as Red Mesa) caused servers with multiple people to lag out and crash. These crashe could cause save corruptions and we would see things like day rollbacks. For now we have removed them and several POI makers are reworking these POIs for us and they will be added back in the future.

4. Conflicts with Server Managers. Adding our custom items to Server Managers or spawning in Custom Zombies would SOMETIMES throw a Server Manager error. These arent fatal but if you looked at the logs you would notice them.

THE PLAN: We are taking a few more days to ENSURE these errors are corrected. I know this is frustrating. No one is more let down or frustrated than our team. We put hours into testing but unfortunately these were the kind of errors you can only find by mass releasing. We will be releasing a fixed version this week that will also include several fixes to other reported issues.

THE LAUNCHER: We will be removing ALL 2.2 links from the Launcher to ENSURE that 3.0 games and saves will NOT get accidentally overwritten. When the fix is released you will still see the RH 30 links in the Launcher. You can STILL play and load from them. BUT There will be new Links for 3.1 added to the Launcher for those who wish to upgrade and wipe. 3.0 links should be considered unstable as of that point and the recommended install will be 3.1. 2.2 Links will be available to download directly but you will no longer be able to find those links in the Launcher. So please plan now. It is recommended everyone upgrade to 3.1 when it releases. We will not be accepting any bug reports from people who did not wipe FULLY for 3.1. We are already aware of all the 3.0 bugs.

Once again our entire team is very sorry for this entire ordeal. I believe we will come out of this stronger. Ravenhearst is not going anywhere and every mod has its missteps. This is a very kind and forgiving community and it is you guys and girls that drive me to continue even though I am extremely disappointed in myself for all of this. . A special thank you and HUGE debt of gratitude for my Whitelist server who had to endure a reboot every hour while they hammered on it looking for bugs. Without them we would have never gotten these fixes found. And as always this whole thing would have fallen apart without sphereii and his genius. Seriously. You have saved my life more than you can ever know or understand.

Jax, I'm going to say it again ... you have NOTHING ... absolutely NOTHING to feel bad about, either you or your team.

You guys are AMAZING ... and releasing something this huge and this resource intensive, there are always going to be challenges with the first release. As the saying goes ... Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot. :)

You get people out there doing things you'd never dream of ... and poof, situations turn up that you never would have considered.

You are working like a team of dogs to get this fixed, AND keeping us updated AND dealing with all the whining and crying and general bit**iness.

You guys all rock, and quit putting yourselves down over this. :)

Jaxx thank you for ravenhearst, there is a lot of time/effort here and we know it, there is no need to feel sorry about something you are giving us for FREE, that imo is better than the original game and i know feedback is crucial to the improvement of things, however IM SORRY for some people who think they are your boss and they can "demand" something as a paid customer would.

Keep up the good work and if you ever need help translating the mod to Spanish or Mandarin just lemme know and il gladly help.

Cheers mate!

Oh Jax... You are trully something special. No kidding. You and your team did make a great mod: large, hard, scary (scarier than vanila) and it is great. I must admit: I didn't play Ravenhearst a lot, but me (even with many hours in game) who is not pro or think about himself as expirienced I can tell you that even after just one scary ingame day (little time to play) that this mod is GREAT. And I'm not really good player, struggling on vanila. On my toes in your mod and in RL whole time playing it. Something special. I guess you will blame yourself whatever I say but no need for that. Mistakes will happend and you can't see them all, expecially in mod that big as yours.

I will humbly wait for v3.1 and try to survive a day or two. :p

Once again: Great mod Jax and take your time. It's not that zombie apocalypse will come tomorrow. :D

I agree. Be nice people. There are ways to give feedback without being a jerk.

And what is with this hangup on "realism"? How can you ask for that with a straight face? It's a zombie game ... you're okay with being stupid enough to go running around whacking zombies with a stick ... but complain that you can't shoot a crow with a 44 ... have you ever SHOT a 44 before? Or tried to shoot a flying bird? Did you suddenly become Wyatt Earp when you reincarnated in the middle of nowhere wearing nothing but your underwear and a backpack?

And feral pigs the size of small cows ARE going to hand you your rear end on a platter if you mess with them. Go run around Texas brushlands and poke a javelina with a stick ... see how that turns out for you. And that's not mentioning shooting a grizzly bear with a bow ... go try that and let me know how that works for you in reality.

When you die you reincarnate miles away on a magic bedroll, with no harm done. Zombie bites can give you an infection, but you don't become a zombie.

I mean really folks ... complaining the game is not realistic is like standing in the snow and complaining that Frosty the Snowman isn't playing with you.

I worry about you guys .... I really do.

First off, yeah I've shot birds (not out of the sky) and yes I've shot a .44. If I can actually hit it, I expect it to go down. What you're telling me is you would like the mod LESS if it were possible to kill small animals in a more realistic manner? ...[C]ome one dude. You're not fooling anyone.

And we already have boars in the game that go down with an arrow or two to the head, that's fine. A small pink farm piggy shouldn't be tougher than a wild boar. And nobody mentioned bears.

And if you're going to go through the trouble of adding ♥♥♥♥ like having to boil water, create fertilizer by hand, cook meat etc, then you're obviously going for "realism". Sure there's some give and take between "game" and "realism", >snip by OzHawkeye<. I have to assume the super powered crows and pigs were oversights and probably not entirely intentional.

>snip by OzHawkeye<. I haven't seen a single mean comment about the mod since I've started posting here.

It's a great mod, there are like 3 major bugs/ complaints I've made about it, and I'm not the only one. Nobody is "demanding" anything is changed, we're just offering criticism. >snip by OzHawkeye<

Axebeard: Vigorous discussion is ok, but some parts of your post went beyond that. - OzHawkeye

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

Final Update and Release Announcement

After a very long and exhausting weekend we are proud to announce we have exposed and fixed all of the issues with server crashes, poi issues, allocs errors for servers, sleeper issues causing to save corruptions, custom animals who could not take spike damage which caused world crashes, animals with mismatched class types as well as a host of reported bugs and issues. Our server has successfully gone past Day 53, with NO errors in our logs and no "groundhog days" or save fails. We are confident THIS is what the release version should have been. Im going to deploy the new update sometime in the next 24-48 hours to give people enough time to prepare.

Prepare for what?

A Wipe. It is unavoidable. Single Player games may NOT experience these issues but that is a complete unknown at this point. Our DLLS have been changed, our rwgmixer is completely redone, corrupt or out of date POIs have been removed. If you decide to update you WILL need a fresh install. It is best to treat this release as the ACTUAL launch. You will need to remove ALL of your Ravenhearst 3.0 data when you install 3.1.

What Does this Mean?

We are creating NEW links in the Launcher for 3.1, and keeping the older 3.0 links in place. Just know that 3.0 is VERY unstable and should NOT be used for Streaming, Sub Servers or long term servers. Your world WILL corrupt in MP and it WILL eventually crash. I know this is awful news, but we are in the first week of release so better this happen now then 30 days in. 2.2 links will be REMOVED from the launcher so please make sure you have downloaded a full copy of 2.2 if you plan to continue that play. It will no longer be seen in the launcher but direct links are available on our website and forum post on page 1.

I want to thank SO many for their help on this issue. First and foremost sphereii did AMAZING work in tracking down the root of these issues. His work on forcing the game to spit out more detailed logs and creating dlls JUST to track these issues can not be thanked enough. Without him I would not have found the issue. The server owners who helped test and had to endure disappointing their players like DeX and The Hated Crew were very patient. The wonderful and amazing members of my whitelist who endured reboots every 15 minutes but stuck around all weekend to test every fix imaginable. Without you guys we wouldn't have gotten this fixed so quickly. And to my amazing Development Team for their patience and for keeping things calm when i couldn't.

But especially thank you to everyone here, for not abandoning us when times were looking grim. I know how restarting and hitting major errors can be very discouraging, but your understanding and patience and words of encouragement have kept me from REALLY losing myself in my disappointment in what has been going on. We are near the end of this long road. NOW we can start to focus on more content, more additions and balancing fixes.

----------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note to this announcement, i have been reading all the posts here and i will address these issues. Unfortunately we could not focus on responding to everyone. We had to devote this time to fixing and getting this update as soon as possible to you guys so we can ALL move on. Now I understand why Pimps disappear so often. Sometimes you just HAVE to focus on your goals.

That said please be kind to each other. We all love this game and we all are here because of that love. Sure we may have disagreements on where to take the mod in the future but we can discuss those things without being insulting or dismissive. This mod is intended to be difficult. Some people do not like that type of artificial difficulty and that's fine. There are plenty of other mods to play. Or you can try to develop one of your own and do ALL the things we don't do and hit 3000 downloads in YOUR first day of release.

Remember first and foremost this mod was created to extend the life of a world. That means much slower progress. This mod is NOT fast paced. Yes it has some moments of "Oh My God" but for the most part everything in this mod is intended to ALWAYS make you be doing SOMETHING. This is not an AFK type mod. And it never will be. Action = Reward.

After a very long and exhausting weekend we are proud to announce we have exposed and fixed all of the issues with server crashes, poi issues, allocs errors for servers, sleeper issues causing to save corruptions, custom animals who could not take spike damage which caused world crashes, animals with mismatched class types as well as a host of reported bugs and issues. Our server has successfully gone past Day 53, with NO errors in our logs and no "groundhog days" or save fails. We are confident THIS is what the release version should have been. Im going to deploy the new update sometime in the next 24-48 hours to give people enough time to prepare.

Wow, so very much impressed at the speed of this fix. Big big KUDOS to you and everyone working on and helping with this mod.

I'm the first to say I have absolutely no idea everything that goes into something like this ... as far as I'm concerned it's magic. Or rocket science. Or magic rockets. Every time I think about it I get a headache ... I'm wondering if you buy aspirin by the truckload or by the shipload.

Thank you so very much for getting this figured out and fixed so quickly.

Thank you and to all the people who helped (during this little bump in the road) for all your hard work. Jax, you created an incredible mod and I am absolutely smitten with it, lol. I love the challenge, the crafting, the risk vs. reward, the constant watching your back, the looting and hoarding, just everything. so again, thank you and everyone who helped create this awesome mod and for all the hard work, time and effort. Fantastic work. No matter what, I'll always stand by this mod. a wipe is not a problem at all. :o) great job guys and great work on this speedy fix!

First off, yeah I've shot birds (not out of the sky) and yes I've shot a .44. If I can actually hit it, I expect it to go down. What you're telling me is you would like the mod LESS if it were possible to kill small animals in a more realistic manner? I know you're just sucking the dev off but come one dude. You're not fooling anyone.

And we already have boars in the game that go down with an arrow or two to the head, that's fine. A small pink farm piggy shouldn't be tougher than a wild boar. And nobody mentioned bears.

And if you're going to go through the trouble of adding ♥♥♥♥ like having to boil water, create fertilizer by hand, cook meat etc, then you're obviously going for "realism". Sure there's some give and take between "game" and "realism", >snip by OzHawkeye<. I have to assume the super powered crows and pigs were oversights and probably not entirely intentional.

>snip by OzHawkeye<. I haven't seen a single mean comment about the mod since I've started posting here.

It's a great mod, there are like 3 major bugs/ complaints I've made about it, and I'm not the only one. Nobody is "demanding" anything is changed, we're just offering criticism. >snip by OzHawkeye<

Axebeard: Vigorous discussion is ok, but some parts of your post went beyond that. - OzHawkeye

Mmmm.

1) Congratulations on the world revolving around you ... and every comment being about you specifically.

2) I'm a girl, not a dude ... and I can have an opinion that differs from yours without doing so because I am performing sexual favors on, for, or with the developers ... and if I were that would be my business and theirs, not yours. Unless you're just jealous.... And what I am telling you is that the game is already ridiculously unrealistic, and spending time debating whether this skill is more realistic than that skill is insane. It's ALL unrealistic ... I'm not going to sweat it. And if choosing to do so gets you off, more power to you ... just be nice.

3) If I choose to express gratitude to the devs and the teams working to make this mod great, that is my business. I do so because too often people complain and forget to say thank you. It's called manners. I'm sure you can probably look up the word since it is completely foreign to you.

4) This mod right up front states that it's designed for the long haul ... some people like that, some people don't. Do I love everything about the mod? Nope. Do I love the same things about the mod that the other people with whom I play love? Nope. Do I respect the time and effort that went into making this, and stand in awe of those who can come up with all this crap? Yes, absolutely yes. I don't have to like everything about the mod to enjoy playing it. I also don't have to spend time picking it apart and being a general B**ch about it either.

I don't believe anyone is telling you not to make suggestions on how to, in your opinion, improve the mod and game play. My comments, ironically enough, weren't specifically directed at you. However, they certainly apply to you considering that you have been less than kind in your responses, enough so that a moderator had to snip your post. My point was simply that a) people should be more kind to each other and think about how what they are posting can be perceived and b) that people perhaps shouldn't be getting quite so bent out of shape about reality in a game that is, by its very nature, completely unrealistic.

Thanks.

Great to hear you ironed out a ton of the errors in the Mod that have been causing people problems since 3.0 launched.

Amazing work despite all the errors.

I have a few questions for anyone else that has been playing this mod as I decided to cheese it A LOT because I figured an update would cause a total restart.

1)When you fix a sink do you get a LOCKED version of it you cant open or use or is that just happening in my game?

2)Were the drops for skill books DRASTICALLY lowered from release to the 3.0 hotfix? I went from getting TONS to barely ever seeing a skill book.

3)Is the giant pink zombie that does nothing to do you and sounds like it might explode an error or part of the mod like the big headed troll zombie?

Mmmm.

1) Congratulations on the world revolving around you ... and every comment being about you specifically.

2) I'm a girl, not a dude ... and I can have an opinion that differs from yours without doing so because I am performing sexual favors on, for, or with the developers ... and if I were that would be my business and theirs, not yours. Unless you're just jealous.... And what I am telling you is that the game is already ridiculously unrealistic, and spending time debating whether this skill is more realistic than that skill is insane. It's ALL unrealistic ... I'm not going to sweat it. And if choosing to do so gets you off, more power to you ... just be nice.

3) If I choose to express gratitude to the devs and the teams working to make this mod great, that is my business. I do so because too often people complain and forget to say thank you. It's called manners. I'm sure you can probably look up the word since it is completely foreign to you.

4) This mod right up front states that it's designed for the long haul ... some people like that, some people don't. Do I love everything about the mod? Nope. Do I love the same things about the mod that the other people with whom I play love? Nope. Do I respect the time and effort that went into making this, and stand in awe of those who can come up with all this crap? Yes, absolutely yes. I don't have to like everything about the mod to enjoy playing it. I also don't have to spend time picking it apart and being a general B**ch about it either.

I don't believe anyone is telling you not to make suggestions on how to, in your opinion, improve the mod and game play. My comments, ironically enough, weren't specifically directed at you. However, they certainly apply to you considering that you have been less than kind in your responses, enough so that a moderator had to snip your post. My point was simply that a) people should be more kind to each other and think about how what they are posting can be perceived and b) that people perhaps shouldn't be getting quite so bent out of shape about reality in a game that is, by its very nature, completely unrealistic.

Thanks.

Your comment is very passive aggressive and also patronizing. You’re telling the person to be nice but then you go and say “you’re jealous.” About 80 percent of games are very unrealistic, with some differing from their levels, so if this mod doesn’t do it for you, why on earth on you on it’s forum? I agree, people should be nice and respect others opinions. Not every game is for everyone, but your comment came off very patronizing and completely opposite of what you said about people being more kind to each other. Lol.

Something I noticed in playing v.3.0 last night, the Steel Chainsaw schematic recipe, it requires 4 copies of Part 1 of the Steel Chainsaw books, but the other 3 parts of the Books arent used for anything except scrapping for Knowledge Points.

Is there still a version that disables headshots only? Also just for the heck of it.... Maybe a skillclass for the deranged psychos who have coffins full of bones in their basement and feast on rotting flesh all the time so they dont lose uber amounts of wellness? Dare I say they probably weren't "well" to begin with...