Ravenhearst Mod

JaxTeller718

Initial testing is over. We have now moved on to a wide test with our normal whitelist server to get a better feel of how it all feels in a normal play environment. That test begins today. Barring any major pitfalls (which we don't foresee but you never know) i would say 2 or so weeks is a pretty decent estimate to start looking for a release date.

Our testers have been amazing but with so many balance changes and restarts we want to make sure play flows smoothly. I will say this, I myself have restarted about 8 times in the past week or so, and every single time I did the first 5 days were amazing. They were challenging, NEVER short on action or boring and most of all REWARDING. I love what we did here. This is certainly not vanilla, and it's not a tacked on mod. It feels VERY different in how you survive and where you go. Each restart was different depending on both my circumstances and my luck. I DO feel some may have a few issues with some of the changes but we all felt the changes we made were for the best in a world were the focus is on long term worlds and play and not on powering through the content. The changelist is going to be ...big. VERY big.

To this day I am trying to get as many new assets and models in as possible before we MUST release, just because i want you guys to have so much new material to experience.

Im very excited for you guys to get your hands on it as are our testers.

I cant wait to play, and you can be sure you will have my feedback, in one form or another (LOL!).

I dont remember if I mentioned this last time, being the server I was on wasnt updated, if you recall, but the windmill caused some serious lag (when it was active) when you looked in its general direction, that may or may not have been because of the lack of updates at that particular time. I know the games electric system has a few issues, but we are stuck with it until a17.

I hope this phase goes well for you and crew. Cant wait to see the changelist too!.

Initial testing is over. We have now moved on to a wide test with our normal whitelist server to get a better feel of how it all feels in a normal play environment. That test begins today. Barring any major pitfalls (which we don't foresee but you never know) i would say 2 or so weeks is a pretty decent estimate to start looking for a release date.

Our testers have been amazing but with so many balance changes and restarts we want to make sure play flows smoothly. I will say this, I myself have restarted about 8 times in the past week or so, and every single time I did the first 5 days were amazing. They were challenging, NEVER short on action or boring and most of all REWARDING. I love what we did here. This is certainly not vanilla, and it's not a tacked on mod. It feels VERY different in how you survive and where you go. Each restart was different depending on both my circumstances and my luck. I DO feel some may have a few issues with some of the changes but we all felt the changes we made were for the best in a world were the focus is on long term worlds and play and not on powering through the content. The changelist is going to be ...big. VERY big.

To this day I am trying to get as many new assets and models in as possible before we MUST release, just because i want you guys to have so much new material to experience.

Im very excited for you guys to get your hands on it as are our testers.

Hey Jax, whats a tacked on mod?:tickled_pink:

Hey Jax, whats a tacked on mod?:tickled_pink:

Mods that add fancy stuff, but do zero math when it comes to weapon balancing or progression. I could strip every SDX aspect out of my mod, remove all the models and still be proud of what my team and I did when it comes to the overall feel of the game. Sure the extras are nice, but the real meat of it I hope this go around is the MAJOR work put into making every perk and skill a must have, not an after thought. Not a fancy dressed up Vanilla.

Things such as changing where loot spawns, your chances at them, recipe changes to vanilla items, totally rewriting melee and ranged damage/accuracy etc to play nicer with perks.

That wasn't a rip on any mod BTW, we are just THAT proud of what we have done, and my team DESERVES the bragging I am going to be doing. We worked hard every single day on this. They put up with a lot of crap too.

Noticed you dropped out of our Discord. What happened man. I was looking forward to reactions from you when we release.

Trying out the Mod the last days

What I don't understand is the "healing-system". If I'm eating chips or something other "cheap" food I got one point healing, but not if I'm eating boild meat or something I made by my self.

Also sometimes there is a healing effect if I'm on a sleeping bag sometimes not. If I remember right I know this behavior from Valmod, I'm not shure.

Also you rwg-mixer is like flatland with huge lakes. The best rwg-mixer I know is from Clockwork Project. Give it a try.

I'm a bit confused of all the different forges. Would it make sense to smelt the stuff in one forge and forge it at the blacksmithing station, instead of smelting raw's three times in different forges?

Just as a first impression.

Anyone?

I don't think the trader will buy 100% of everything someone is selling (if they have a load of the item). From what I can remember (and I haven't used the trader much) he may only buy 4 or 5 of an item that you are trying to sell. Not sure if some mods have changed it or if they even can. If you wait here long enough someone who knows more about it will come along. Answers are like buses....there is one every few minutes. :)

We specifically removed many of the craftable items that can be sold, even more so in 3.0 because we wanted accomplishment to come from the work you do, not crafting 100 items and spam selling them. The feedback we have gotten so far on that has been positive because it forces players to think outside the box and look for high value items to make that coin.

As for the item descriptions I PROMISE you guys we have corrected a lot of that in 3.0. Information will be EVERYWHERE, from description to new quests. If you get confused chances are looking at the item or pulling up your quest book will help. We are also planning a wiki for other items of interest.

3.0 is a massive overhaul. Everything from food, to wellness, to weapons, to loot, to progression. ALL of it has been changed, rebalanced and made better we feel. We are VERY proud of the work we have done. Lots of new toys to play with, lots of new models, LOTS of new zombies.

I can't wait until you guys get to play it. I'm sorry i have not been around much. Im diving head on into this. Obsessed really. I hope you guys see this as a new mod, not just a rehash. We worked hard to make this the most unique and challenging yet fun mod around. A lot of 2.2 was just things thrown in. THIS version is the true essence of what we wanted to accomplish.

I will begin releasing some info this coming week on what to expect, in small doses for you guys.

Noticed something last night after buying my second Class (Blades). In the Blades Quest line the weapon you need to use to complete the stages goes (pretty sure);

1-Bone Shiv, 2-Hunting Knife, 3-Wooden Spear, 4-Iron Spear, 5-Steel Spear, 6-Machete.

Couple bits. Steel Tipped Spear uses Steel Arrow Heads, which player can't make until they unlock Steel Perk @ Level 50.

Not a huge deal, but possibly add in 10 Steel Arrow Heads as a quest reward for finishing the Iron Tipped Spear bit?

Machete quest. Can't unlock the ability to forge a Machete Blade until Level 60. Yet the recipe to make a machete (combining leather & blade) unlocks at lvl 50 I think?

Compared to the Bow Class the Blades Quests progression seems quite lvl gated.

My initial was the Bow Class and I don't recall any significant lvl gates to progressing thru those quests stages.

Haven't found a Machete or a blade, and can't recall if after the machete quest it goes to Combat Axe or the sword?

But wondering if maybe having the Combat Axe be a leg in the quest line before the Machete? Since you can buy the Steel Tool Head Perk to forge a Steel Axe Head at lvl 50. Though the Combat Axe definately feels like a 'better' weapon than the Machete from what I recall from my previous playthrough.

Sorry that's a bit jumbled. It was Saturday Night :drunk:

Anyway, great to hear all the progress bits, thanks for the updates!

Good Day JaxTeller718

I for ONE of the few will say .. TAKE ALL the Time you need for v3.0 ... Do "not" rush and don't let the A-O get to you. I know it's hard .. But just do the Best you can and when it get's here .. it will get here.

Have Fun and Enjoy Life ... the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

Mods that add fancy stuff, but do zero math when it comes to weapon balancing or progression. I could strip every SDX aspect out of my mod, remove all the models and still be proud of what my team and I did when it comes to the overall feel of the game. Sure the extras are nice, but the real meat of it I hope this go around is the MAJOR work put into making every perk and skill a must have, not an after thought. Not a fancy dressed up Vanilla.

Things such as changing where loot spawns, your chances at them, recipe changes to vanilla items, totally rewriting melee and ranged damage/accuracy etc to play nicer with perks.

That wasn't a rip on any mod BTW, we are just THAT proud of what we have done, and my team DESERVES the bragging I am going to be doing. We worked hard every single day on this. They put up with a lot of crap too.

Noticed you dropped out of our Discord. What happened man. I was looking forward to reactions from you when we release.

Sorry bro, all the notifications were getting to me lol. Not time for much else besides med mod atm, its all consuming. Basically gup and stomp doing the heavy lifting with me as a third wheel. Everyones been great helping out with new models, animations, etc but the basic stuff, prefabbing and xml is taking its toll. Thought more people would jump at the chance to put their mark on it but, heh, whatever. Enjoyed ravenhearst when i did get a chance to play.:smile-new:

I was going to try to put my mark on it but it turned out more like a "pitstain on the shirt of humanity". I also thought there would be more people involved. Would have loved to been able to say "Hey, I helped with that" (single tear down face, bow and curtain)

Really though, would've loved to have done something to add to it. It sucks to be talentless...

really still want to build or at least do some decorating, but between bus trip, being sick and this finishing i'm pooped lol.

you can lock down notifications on the discord pretty easily, by whole server or individual channels on a server, just so you know the next time one beeps mercilessly at you. i belong to a few servers where i literally only get @mentions from a single channel in it or i'd go bat♥♥♥♥ebonkers.

Sorry bro, all the notifications were getting to me lol. Not time for much else besides med mod atm, its all consuming. Basically gup and stomp doing the heavy lifting with me as a third wheel. Everyones been great helping out with new models, animations, etc but the basic stuff, prefabbing and xml is taking its toll. Thought more people would jump at the chance to put their mark on it but, heh, whatever. Enjoyed ravenhearst when i did get a chance to play.:smile-new:

No problem, miss your feedback is all. You guys and Gup are incredibly lucky to have help. It's a one man show here. I do the modding, xml, icons, rwg, assets, modeling etc all by myself. If there is one thing I have learned in all of that is not many people have experience with this sort of modding. Hopefully in 17 when the Pimps open up modding more in general we get more people jumping in and we can get the relief we desperately need. My testing team has been amazing with the hours put in though, so no slight to them. But they aren't coders or modders so all of that is left entirely on me.

I WANT to love this mod so much, because I did get a taste of it. I want to contribute to its upkeep and development and I want to shout it from the rooftops because this really IS a great mod. A really great mod. Thing is, about 15 minutes in, the game begins to drag its feet and finally crash. I know I only have an HP Workstation (Elitebook 8540W) with 8GB - an ageing setup with an ageing Nvidia Quadro - but I'm pretty sure it should run OK. I already have (and am used to) having most graphics settings bottomed out, so it seems to be leaking memory someplace. I hope you can find out what ails me, because this is such a fantastic mod, that adds such a lot to the immersion/ambience, as well as a ♥♥♥♥load of content. I'd recommend that if you haven't already done so, give this mod a try right now. I hope it works OK for you, and if it does I'll be madly jealous - but happy for you. A great mod that needs a tweak here and there. Fix it and you have an additional tenner from me, for sure.

And you do it in an i3? Nice. =)

Indeed...and no it's not nice. Not nice at all :D

Many a slammed desk, many a spilled mixed drink. You know the usuals lol. Im just REALLY stubborn about it all.

- - - Updated - - -

What difficulty is this mod recommended to play on?

Setting 3, which i have no idea what that means to people who start in SP because ive worked with servers for so long I forget which numbers mean what setting.

- - - Updated - - -

I WANT to love this mod so much, because I did get a taste of it. I want to contribute to its upkeep and development and I want to shout it from the rooftops because this really IS a great mod. A really great mod. Thing is, about 15 minutes in, the game begins to drag its feet and finally crash. I know I only have an HP Workstation (Elitebook 8540W) with 8GB - an ageing setup with an ageing Nvidia Quadro - but I'm pretty sure it should run OK. I already have (and am used to) having most graphics settings bottomed out, so it seems to be leaking memory someplace. I hope you can find out what ails me, because this is such a fantastic mod, that adds such a lot to the immersion/ambience, as well as a ♥♥♥♥load of content. I'd recommend that if you haven't already done so, give this mod a try right now. I hope it works OK for you, and if it does I'll be madly jealous - but happy for you. A great mod that needs a tweak here and there. Fix it and you have an additional tenner from me, for sure.

Thank you for the very very kind words. Im sorry you struggle so much with it. I wish I could somehow maximize it to work on systems like that. It is recommended to have at least 8 gigs if not more. 16 would be more ideal. I can squeak sit out on my system somehow. I cant even begin to imagine how. I did do a lot of texture and asset optimizing for 3.0 so here is hoping that does the trick for you.

From the Wiki:

Scavenger (0): Easiest setting designed for noobs. - Easiest

Adventurer (1): Not just a new recruit any more. - Easy

Nomad (2): Designed for experienced FPS players. - Normal

Warrior (3): Now you're starting to impress. - Hard

Survivalist (4): Kids don't try this at home! - Harder

Insane (5): You're one brave Mother! - Hardest

Note: The serverconfig.xml file uses the numbers 0-5 (easiest to hardest) to determine difficulty. When viewing servers in the MP server browser, it uses the numbers 1-6 (easiest to hardest).