Ravenhearst Mod

JaxTeller718

I tried to like this mod, it does alot of nice things, but there are a few aspects I didn't like. I'll list them.

1: The game just feels like a slog, like everything was put in to make it take as long as possible. Also we need to be able to pick up some more of the stations without a land claim block, like the drying rack, and advanced campfire if its not pickupable. I tried the food prep table, but it just destroyed when I tried to pick it up. Tried to hit it like a campfire.

2: FAR FAR too much redundant unneeded clutter like the logs->log scraps->wood -> sticks thing, its really unnesscary to have 4 diff types (or more) of wood. Same for stone arrowheads, it just seems redundant.

3: The zombies.. why the hell are they now super tanky bullet sponges? Even on nomad it takes forever to kill them, On nomad they take longer to kill than on survival or insane in the base game. The zombies having so much hp, is one of the main reasons I dislike the mod. This coupled with their stupidly high spawn rate in v4.2 which was the version I played.

4: The repair kits for all diff types of weapons gotta go, its bad enough the zombies take for frigging ever to kill with headshots, but now you add in some overly convoluted repair system as well on top? I am sure its not a problem mid game, but early game, it just makes it far to much of a slog.

5: The UI lag, I know this is more a base game issue but, I think the recipie list needs to be edited to remove alot of the redundant things. Examples: stone arrow heads, sticks, etc.

6: The whole clean/dirty system is also just a pain in the arse. In a new game I spawned no where near any water, so I was pretty much screwed as I didn't have the mats being freshly started to make towels etc.

Other than those issues I rather liked what I seen. I'll give it a shot again when 4.3 comes out, from what I seen the spawn rate is being toned down to a lower level.

Just to answer some of your concerns

1. The whole purpose of Ravenhearst is to make the game longer. There are plenty of mods and vanilla to play for you quick fix. We intended the game to last as long as possible so the content could be devoured and experienced in full. Longer worlds are also great for server population. As for stations being pickable, just like in vanilla you need a land claim block. I'm not sure why this is an issue for you when we are simply copying vanilla mechanics.

2. You must never have played pre A13 when all of that was changed and removed. There are quite a few who enjoy complexity in crafting and we were trying to return it to the glory days of requiring much more than a single recipe or item to do it all. This probably will not change as I feel the game was geared more towards survival and TRUE crafting back pre A13.

3. Zombies that you find tanky on Day one are one shots on day 20 plus. It's supposed to be very challenging when you first spawn in but that challenge does not last forever and with the weapon classes most zeds can be killed with 2-3 skilled headshots. Remember there is way more at play here than just the gun or the bow. You have to purchase skills to be better. In vanilla a lot of those skills are just happy decap bonuses. In RH they MEAN something and that was the intention of how we designed it.

4. Again complexity in crafting and repairing. It doesn't make sense you JUST need iron to repair a gun or a crossbow. Its silly and it dumbs down the game. This falls in line with complexity. Also you keep calling it a slog. The mid is certainly not for everyone.

5. The very first things you asked to remove are two of our more popular additions. This just comes down to what you feel is worth your time. Again complexity of recipes is a big thing for us and always has been. Removing a handful of extras most certainly won't fix the Ui lag to any degree you will notice while playing.

6. That was an addition to keep players on their toes and also to add real danger to the world from being hit by zombies. I went to day 2 without getting any kind of dirty because I was very careful not to get hit by a zombie. There are so many POIs with water in them, not to mention the caves you find in the world that have water in them. If you are quite careful as you play you can avoid filling your dirty meter until you find a water POI. We made sure every town and city had some water pois in some form or fashion.

I hope you didn't take my answers as dismissive but I really feel like the intentions of what we are trying to accomplish needed to be pointed out. The great thing about having so many talented modders is if one mod doesnt work for you there are so many others with varying degrees of difficulty to try out. Hopefully in the future into A17 we can appeal more to you.

I just wanted to add my two pennies worth.

Having played 4.2 to day 86 (until 4.3's release) I found it just the right level of challenging and the only issue I had was, who on earth puts mayo on a bacon and egg sandwhich! :playful:

Hi!

I just thought I would respond to this because I agree with a few points as far as my personal gaming preferences go, so I made a few xml edits to fit how I like to play.

It is, of course, important to voice these concerns, but here are a few things that may help you move past them if the dev team disagrees with these design suggestions.

1. I don't have a solution for this. This is something to get used to, it's how Ravenhearst is. Try and get in the mindset of different progression. It can be a struggle, but see my answer to 3 for a trickle-down solution that may help with resources.

2. Again with how Ravenhearst is, it also opens up a ton of future crafting options. I love the logs for fuel purposes. It does take a little to get used to.

3. Ok so this is a big point here, I personally HATE tanky zombies. It breaks immersion for me completely. So what I did was a minor xml edit to clean this up. In "items.xml" I did a search and replace for

DamageBonus.head" value="

with

DamageBonus.head" value="1

then

DamageBonus.head" value="11

with

DamageBonus.head" value="2

(so you don't have stuff at x117 head damage etc)

This will basically add an additional x10 entity damage to head shots. It knocks the zombie difficulty down a ton and increases the pace considerably. I also play with my wife and her friend and they don't care for the insane zombie difficulty.

This is a major difficulty drop, but in a way that, for me personally, increases the fun factor considerably.

4: The adjustment to 3 makes this issue wash out for the most part. I personally like it, but if it really bothers you editing

<property name="RepairTools" value="clubrepairKit"/>

with like

<property name="RepairTools" value="wood"/>

can remove the kits for key starting items, etc.

5: This one sucks. Quick workaround in the meantime is to use the favorites system. You'll just have to click favorites when you log on or are done crafting. Not a real fix, but may help for now.

6: Yeah, this one is a struggle with no water source. I don't really have any suggestions there :]

Hope this helps!

It sounds like you might want to tweak your game a little. Try the head shot damage thing, it may do it for you. You may want to use half the value too.

Good luck!

Those tweaks really take away from the intent and challenge that is RH. You might as well go play vanilla on easy mode 1. However if you can mod, make your own so you can breath on zombies and kill them.

*Hotfix for Patch 4.3 Release Date 8/26/2018 Files changed: Localization-Quest.txt, Localization.xml, rwgmixer.xml (HOE - entityclasses.xml, quests.xml) NO WIPE NEEDED**

-Fixed Typos in Opening Text

-Clarified Text for Ultimate Survival

-Added Vanilla Store Grouping to all Mixers (Does not require wipe will show up in uncovered areas)

-HOE: Zombies Sight Distance Reduced

-HOE: Zombie Health Reduced

-HOE: Zombie XP Reduced

-HOE: Increased ammo in starting classes

-Added Version Info to all Installs located inside Mods/SDX/ModInfo.xml

-All related .zip files in Extra Files have been updated as well

Those tweaks really take away from the intent and challenge that is RH. You might as well go play vanilla on easy mode 1. However if you can mod, make your own so you can breath on zombies and kill them.

Does it now?

Well I find that I am having a blast with it, and so are the people I am playing with. But I guess we are wrong so I'll just go uninstall. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways!

Much longer load time?

Hello all!

Got a new laptop 2 months back, and just getting my games back on it.

Installed 7D2D, runs fine.

Installed Ravenhearst 4.2 from mod launcher. Again, ran fine, about 30-40 seconds to load.

Now, though, with 4.3, it hangs when loading for 3 or 4 minutes.

Is there any way I can check where/how this might be occurring for optimization purposes?

Also, if I click anywhere on the screen during the long loading, the game crashes out, just FYI

Specs of system- i7 8000 series, 1060 with max-q, 256gb ssd, 8gb ram. Dell Laptop, G7.

Thanks in advance!

-Jotek

Hello all!

Installed Ravenhearst 4.2 from mod launcher. Again, ran fine, about 30-40 seconds to load.

Is there any way I can check where/how this might be occurring for optimization purposes?

Also, if I click anywhere on the screen during the long loading, the game crashes out, just FYI

Specs of system- i7 8000 series, 1060 with max-q, 256gb ssd, 8gb ram. Dell Laptop, G7.

Thanks in advance!

-Jotek

FIRST Off you need a **min of 16 Ram** to run a modded game smoothly .. get more ram for that computer.

Hello all!

Thanks in advance!

-Jotek

Hey, jotek! It's likely a RAM issue as others have pointed out. Though technically it should still work with 8GB of RAM. Are you getting any errors? Feel free to hop in our Discord to seek help from other players. http://www.tsugaming.com/voice

FIRST Off you need a **min of 16 Ram** to run a modded game smoothly .. get more ram for that computer.

fl00d3d-Hey, jotek! It's likely a RAM issue as others have pointed out. Though technically it should still work with 8GB of RAM. Are you getting any errors? Feel free to hop in our Discord to seek help from other players. http://www.tsugaming.com/voice

No errors, although it definitely is way choppier than I would expect it to be... I got the laptop on a great deal while traveling back to the U.S. for holiday (I live in Eastern Europe now) and didn't get the ram while I was there. It really is the bottleneck I think, as I was playing on a desktop i5 2500k with 24gb ram and a gtx680 and it ran very well with great load times.

Thanks for the info! Now if I could just find RAM here that wasn't worth a local monthly salary... :)

fl00d3d-Hey, jotek! It's likely a RAM issue as others have pointed out. Though technically it should still work with 8GB of RAM. Are you getting any errors? Feel free to hop in our Discord to seek help from other players. http://www.tsugaming.com/voice

No errors, although it definitely is way choppier than I would expect it to be... I got the laptop on a great deal while traveling back to the U.S. for holiday (I live in Eastern Europe now) and didn't get the ram while I was there. It really is the bottleneck I think, as I was playing on a desktop i5 2500k with 24gb ram and a gtx680 and it ran very well with great load times.

Thanks for the info! Now if I could just find RAM here that wasn't worth a local monthly salary... :)

Try Amazon or NewEgg. NewEgg isn't always the cheapest, but I've found them to be pretty consistent with pricing. It may work out to be cheaper to get a memory kit rather than adding a single stick, depending on your setup. Playing this game with mods (and most games these days) with at least 16GB is pretty much a necessity now. Best of luck!

Ravenhearst is such a good mod. When i was playing vanilla I got all these ideas for a mod. They are all a reality in Ravenhearst. Soooo well done Jax. <3

Yeah I like alot of aspects of it, but here is one aspect I dispise: the zombies are way to damn tanky even on nomad diffculty, seriously, 30 headshots with a 300 quality wooden club and a utility worker type zombie still wasn't even knocked down once. Are all the headshot mults removed or something? It should not be taking 30+ headshots to kill zombies. I know about the right click power attack, But I doubt it does enough extra damage to even be worth the insane stamina it uses.

Fought this one zombie named a Bolivar, and it took almost 5 minutes of headshotting it to kill it. I also am unable to loot poi's as the zombies are so tanky, I can't kill them in the poi, and leading them out doesn't work as they just insta respawn back inside. Been trying to find a second twine for this adv survival intro quest for 2 days in game now.

Looked into the xml's and that explains the tanky zombies, even the basic male template has almost 500 health.

Lastly I am having a weird technical problem, when the game first loads it literally maxes out my SSD's bandwith or whatever, but its not 7daystodie.exe thats doing it, its the system thing in task manager. Might be a issue on my end though and not the mod itself, but any advice both on killin the zeds in this mod, and my SSD performance issues with it.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

This is not particular to RH, it is just that it is what I am playing at moment.

Why do trees only give one seed? You can never increase the tree crop by planting one to one, you have to go out and basically just move a tree from one place to another. I suppose it could become too OP for wood but it just seemed odd to me a moment ago.

Maybe a low percentage of time you chop down a tree you could get 2 seeds.

@Siveria, I suspect you're not actually hitting them in the head. Could it be you're hitting them in the arm or raised hands? Are you holding down the left mouse button to rain down a continuous stream of hits? I found if I timed my hit to actually hit the exposed head (especially after a stagger) they drop a lot faster. Also the initial club is a really poor weapon. Try putting 3 points into advanced blunt weapons and getting at least the iron reinforced club. It does better damage.

As per Bolivar, isn't he the one with the outstreteched arms? If so, you're again most likely hitting his hands/arms and not his head. headshots are almost required to do any significant damage. Bolivar is one of the advanced Z's and has somewhere around 1300 hp IIRC. One point of damage per hit to the hands will take a long time. I found bowshots to be more effective to get past the outstretched hands.

my 2 cents...

This is not particular to RH, it is just that it is what I am playing at moment.

Why do trees only give one seed? You can never increase the tree crop by planting one to one, you have to go out and basically just move a tree from one place to another. I suppose it could become too OP for wood but it just seemed odd to me a moment ago.

Maybe a low percentage of time you chop down a tree you could get 2 seeds.

i think vanilla drops a lot of seeds. we've had ours trimmed down for a good while now.

/hides her seeds

why? you want to be johnny gamidaseed?

curious...

If someone has to do it then I guess I will have to.

i think vanilla drops a lot of seeds. we've had ours trimmed down for a good while now.

/hides her seeds

ok...."Hey where are you going with those seeds?"

Tried that. Cars and chairs give iron, leather strips, weird car parts and other not so useful bits [yet]. Haven't seen a mechanical part from wrenching yet, and I have to be careful with my wrench. Hard to repair until I get advanced workbench, which requires lots of mechanical parts...

Lvl 26, found one 64ql wrench so far.