Landmines - game making or game breaking??

dustipher

Yea at a higher level none of the Z's are a problem at all. Not even dogs are a problem with some firearms at your side.

The mines do throw an interesting twist. I've also never encountered more than 1 feral at a time so in numbers I suppose they might b a problem.

So yea, I'm cool with the mines. Also someone else posted (in another post somewhere) you can drive right over mines & the speed of the minibike combined with lag makes it to where you won't die.....yea I tried this & it didn't work for me, lol. I had level 600 engine, tires, & battery. My chassis was somewhere in the upper 300's, not sure bout the seat & handlebars but I'm guessing those wouldn't really matter too much.

Anybody else try this?

Feral is the naked zombie? Police zombies just started to appear the last day or so.

I hip fire with my sniper rifle killing ferals. I also made a air filter land mine and a hub cap land mine today. I need to make like a couple thousand more of each. I got a bunch of gas barrels as well. Gonna set them up in the open fields. But I need to mow the lawn and chop some trees down so I can see a better clearing of the surrounding fields. Have some fun sniping Z's. Patch in a lawn mower. hahahah Or just patch them in then add gas or oil and good to go. Then if ya wrench them down ya get the mower blade for a melee weapon.

I try to avoid those areas as much as possible because of those mines, nothing more annoying than going far away from your base on an exploration mission to be killed by a random mine -_- [happened soooo many times].

In regards to them being inside buildings? I think they should be BUT only in logical ones. Buildings that clearly look like they have defences up, army camps and giant vaults i'ld be ok with. Random Joe's house though? Not so keen personally.

Yea at a higher level none of the Z's are a problem at all. Not even dogs are a problem with some firearms at your side.

The mines do throw an interesting twist. I've also never encountered more than 1 feral at a time so in numbers I suppose they might b a problem.

So yea, I'm cool with the mines. Also someone else posted (in another post somewhere) you can drive right over mines & the speed of the minibike combined with lag makes it to where you won't die.....yea I tried this & it didn't work for me, lol. I had level 600 engine, tires, & battery. My chassis was somewhere in the upper 300's, not sure bout the seat & handlebars but I'm guessing those wouldn't really matter too much.

Anybody else try this?

You never came across 2 of them? Wow I had 3 at once with 2 cops just the other day. I have drove over at least 10 landmines and didn't have a 600 engine and didn't die I was already out of reach by the time it blew up. So it can happen guess you just didn't have any luck lol

I try to avoid those areas as much as possible because of those mines, nothing more annoying than going far away from your base on an exploration mission to be killed by a random mine -_- [happened soooo many times].

In regards to them being inside buildings? I think they should be BUT only in logical ones. Buildings that clearly look like they have defences up, army camps and giant vaults i'ld be ok with. Random Joe's house though? Not so keen personally.

I kinda don't wanna say because I don't know for sure. But I do know one of the houses was one of the bandits that he showed. I don't think every house will have landmines in them but probably a few traps in some of them. Wouldn't be surprised if one has it where the floor comes out from under you like they did with some of the new poi in A16 that was added. He did say that they will still have abandoned houses so not all of them will look that way. I'm sure they will have a few that look like the way he showed but I think some of those in know at least one of them are linked to the story they are doing in navezgane. The only thing is on random Gen how many will actually spawn in like the ones he showed vs the less threat/abandoned ones. That would be the question at hand. Not going to say everything but most things they are doing is aiming toward being a part of the story game they are working on. You will have quest you can get from other people in the colonies, you can join a group the ones that fight for good reasons or join the ones that just go in and take what they want. So I say a good bit of what they are doing is aimed toward being part of all that. I think that is where I say at least 75% of the focus is before getting out of alpha. I could be wrong but that is how I'm seeing it.

I kinda don't wanna say because I don't know for sure. But I do know one of the houses was one of the bandits that he showed. I don't think every house will have landmines in them but probably a few traps in some of them. Wouldn't be surprised if one has it where the floor comes out from under you like they did with some of the new poi in A16 that was added. He did say that they will still have abandoned houses so not all of them will look that way. I'm sure they will have a few that look like the way he showed but I think some of those in know at least one of them are linked to the story they are doing in navezgane. The only thing is on random Gen how many will actually spawn in like the ones he showed vs the less threat/abandoned ones. That would be the question at hand. Not going to say everything but most things they are doing is aiming toward being a part of the story game they are working on. You will have quest you can get from other people in the colonies, you can join a group the ones that fight for good reasons or join the ones that just go in and take what they want. So I say a good bit of what they are doing is aimed toward being part of all that. I think that is where I say at least 75% of the focus is before getting out of alpha. I could be wrong but that is how I'm seeing it.

If its something like a bandits house, then i would be completely ok with traps/bombs added to it. I like to stream this game so the floor giving way is a good addition in my eyes [i see it as that parts of the buildings are just giving way] and especially since every streamer i know has fallen through the floor of the room that has giant letters reading DANGER [or is it beware?] on the wall lol.

If its something like a bandits house, then i would be completely ok with traps/bombs added to it. I like to stream this game so the floor giving way is a good addition in my eyes [i see it as that parts of the buildings are just giving way] and especially since every streamer i know has fallen through the floor of the room that has giant letters reading DANGER [or is it beware?] on the wall lol.

Lol yeah I am not going to say I haven't fallen through those traps on pc cough cough shhhhh lol.

Well I'm sure they will have at least one or so houses that are not bandits that have traps or landmines in them. One or two of the ones we have now have the cooking pot on the counter and if you pick it up boom lol. So I'm sure they will leave a surprise in some of the non bandit ones. But really you get a jump out if it once or twice but then you know what house to be looking for them in. Kinda like the ones with the cooking pot. Then on top of that it will be a good while before console sees that if it will be able to see it. So most will probably see videos before hand and have an idea/know the ones to look a out for. Lol

The landmines are dumb, unless there is good loot or resources? I haven't started a new world (still playing an old world) but on my old world the wasteland is the charcoal burnt area right? That place sucks as there is not much to obtain from there?

Landmines :

- Realistic : in a war zone with such level of destruction, you can expect numerous unexploded bombs, FASCAM, landmines, ...

- Game breaking : as you cannot disarm them, there are more deadly than zombies, so any landmine area should be considered as unplayable for fighting/being pursued by zombies. The playable map is small on consoles, with landmines it is more smaller :/

Just for reminder, a real minefield is a zone you cannot walk nor run, demining is as sluggish as centimeter by centimeter. Incompatible with any external threat such as zombies.

How landmines affect my gameplay : landmines + zombies == too deadly, I turned off zombies.

Suggestion : allow landmines to be disarmed again (implement a specific skill/tools if you want some realism).

Landmines :

- Realistic : in a war zone with such level of destruction, you can expect numerous unexploded bombs, FASCAM, landmines, ...

- Game breaking : as you cannot disarm them, there are more deadly than zombies, so any landmine area should be considered as unplayable for fighting/being pursued by zombies. The playable map is small on consoles, with landmines it is more smaller :/

Just for reminder, a real minefield is a zone you cannot walk nor run, demining is as sluggish as centimeter by centimeter. Incompatible with any external threat such as zombies.

How landmines affect my gameplay : landmines + zombies == too deadly, I turned off zombies.

Suggestion : allow landmines to be disarmed again (implement a specific skill/tools if you want some realism).

So zombies is realism? Carrying all those items in a backpack is realism? Carrying a engine around in a backpack is realism? Do I need to go on? I do agree that you should be able to wrench them or something. But not for the realism part I throw that out the door when it is a zombie game.

The part about map size being small. If the size of map was on pc I say probably because of the amount of people you can have on the world at once. But on console I feel if the rwg would create a better layout with plenty of towns the map size could be a little smaller for only 4 people on at once. The size it is now you would spend yearsassess on a seed and never run out of material. No way 4 people or less can destroy that much land the way it is.

I'm far from a programmer or anything close to it. But I feel if they leave navezgane map the way it is because of the story they are adding but on rwg if the map sizes was I don't know 1000 blocks less on the far end that you can go and take bedrock from -55 or something like that to just 0 to bedrock. Rework the world generation I think the console might run a little better and still give 4 players more then enough space. But like I said I'm no programmer so I could be wrong.

So zombies is realism? Carrying all those items in a backpack is realism? Carrying a engine around in a backpack is realism? Do I need to go on? I do agree that you should be able to wrench them or something. But not for the realism part I throw that out the door when it is a zombie game...

I agree with you, but you're off-topic, the title of the topic is a question about landmines being game making or breaking.

I think they are good as you have to be more observant in areas with mines, I saw the mine way before mm stepped on it. Landmines are pretty easy to make (i could cook one up with gunpowder and a primer) so it is fairly realistic to have them in the game. The trick is to just be observant and use them to blow zombies up. I have never died to one, but that could be because full 250 wellness and armor means they don't take much off... Scared me to death many times though.

I agree with you, but you're off-topic, the title of the topic is a question about landmines being game making or breaking.

Not at all you brought realism into it. So guess you the type that picks and choose. If you going to go that route to bring realism into it don't pick abd choose what you feel in your own opinion what those should be. If you bring that into it then someone else can bring the other things into it as well. I know you said you agree so I know your noy really saying that you don't. I'm just pointing it out that it isn't off topic if you bring the fact in. You would need a different argument to the fact thst it is game breaking not because of realism unless you want to bring what comes with all that into it. So no not off topic from at least your post you made.

Not at all you brought realism into it.

As the term realism bothers you it can be replaced with "credibility" as there are no truly realistic games.

It is credible to encounter landmines in a warzone.

I think they are good as you have to be more observant in areas with mines

Alas, some mines are invisible (full-buried into the ground) due to clipping issues.

As the term realism bothers you it can be replaced with "credibility" as there are no truly realistic games.

I prefer "plausible".

"Realistic" in games is almost always faked in some way because a realistic simulation is way too expensive in a game.

Don't tell anyone but smoke and mirrors are two of the main resources computer games are built from. ;)

Not sure if the ground clipping is different on consoles but in A16 PC I've been around the wastelands quite a bit - and early. Gotta pay attention...

Alas, some mines are invisible (full-buried into the ground) due to clipping issues.

I have no problem with any words. You are the one that used them in the fashion you used it in not us. So if that bothers you think about what you post before you post it. I been there myself more then once. So it's all good.

I prefer "plausible".

"Realistic" in games is almost always faked in some way because a realistic simulation is way too expensive in a game.

Don't tell anyone but smoke and mirrors are two of the main resources computer games are built from. ;)

Not sure if the ground clipping is different on consoles but in A16 PC I've been around the wastelands quite a bit - and early. Gotta pay attention...

As someone who plays both it isn't no different. I have yet to die from them on console so has many others. You do have to pay attention and can see them. Some just get blown up and say first it that it is the game and its invisible landmines instead oh I need to pay attention. Some cases might be more to lag issues and that it more understandable. But I have yet to find these invisible landmines and I created a few seeds to go in and try to find them but can't. The only difference from console and pc on this is that pc depending on the graphic setting you are running things do show better if you are play ultra setting on pc. But if you play the lowest setting isn't to much different........ but doesn't these questions and stuff pretty darn close to the same ones when it was added to pc? I recall pretty much the same type of threads and statements being made then.

Does not mean some are not having some kind of problem that could be bug related or something. So not calling anyone a lier or anything like that. Just because I haven't found it or 6 other friends haven't found anything like it doesn't mean someone else isn't. But that is why you have a bug report thread.

Thanks for everyone's input. good to see I'm not alone in thinking the random mines specifically need addressing. It is a shame that what was once a pure zombie survival game is now a zombie survival game with ramdom landmines chucked in :(

It's not reasonable to state that players need to 'pay attention'. This is a game. It should (primarily) be fun. Killing zeds is fun, scavenging for new stuff is fun, searching for buried treasure isn't fun but it is damn worthwhile, crawling through a wasteland checking your every step for landmines is NOT FUN! Personally I HATE it and I know I'm not alone.

I love the idea of a toggle mines on/off. I also had the idea over the weekend that there could be a new skill added which makes landmines easier to see. That would be enough to make me think about visiting the wasteland again.

RE the bike being too fast to set off landmines.. I had this experience of driving over a landmine and it exploding but not hitting me. I have also experienced the opposite. I think from my experience it could be server lag as when i survived the landmine on the minibike, I was not the host, but that's just guesswork really. Definitely not a foolproof way to travel through the wasteland.

Whether or not the devs think landmines offer a new aspect of gameplay/difficulty to 7dtd, it seems no single player will come out to say they are a good addition. I think for me personally what I would like to see is the devs looking into how landmines can be balanced properly, because as it is they are the most deadly aspect of the mid/late game and that, to me, just isn't right.

You are right not many people like them and are against them. But just as many people do like them and are all for them and find the reasons why to be reasonable. Point is it is a opinion everyone has a different look on it. TFP have given the reasons before on the pc threads of why they think are and nothing has changed their mind on it as of now to change it. So nit saying it isn't going to change but don't get your hopes up either. This is all I have left to say on this thread so good luck.

But just as many people do like them and are all for them and find the reasons why to be reasonable.

Not being funny, but in terms of people 'who like them and find the reasons why to be reasonable' (in this thread), there were 3 posts. In terms of people who want to see changes or who don't like the addition of mines into the wasteland, I count 10 (including myself).

Definitely not a 50:50 split!

Not being funny, but in terms of people 'who like them and find the reasons why to be reasonable' (in this thread), there were 3 posts. In terms of people who want to see changes or who don't like the addition of mines into the wasteland, I count 10 (including myself).

Definitely not a 50:50 split!

You might want to try to be a little more smart before trying to be a jack***. You talking about one thread with not that many people posting in it. I'm talking about the other threads in console threads plus the ones that been made in pc section.

so not my problem you lack the skills to do research or think these small amount of people that have replied to this one thread are the only ones that play the game. I can be a smart*** also. But it isn't going to solve anything. Have a good day

You might want to try to be a little more smart before trying to be a jack***. You talking about one thread with not that many people posting in it. I'm talking about the other threads in console threads plus the ones that been made in pc section.

so not my problem you lack the skills to do research or think these small amount of people that have replied to this one thread are the only ones that play the game. I can be a smart*** also. But it isn't going to solve anything. Have a good day

Who rattled your cage for you to respond so viciously? I stated 'in this thread' and you have a go at me not doing research? I lack the skills to do research? What the F man. Aren't you a bit presumptious to say that? I mean I work as a project analyst for a blue chip company. Maybe I'm actually very good at analysing what people want and need. Presumption is a dangerous thing.

From the posts in this thread it is 10:3 against random mines in the wasteland, that means of the 13 people who posted in this thread, you are one of three in the minority and yet you speak like you know better than everyone else and label me a smart arse... Honestly? Have you taken your meds today?

'You might want to try to be a little more smart before trying to be a jack***.' - so stating correct statistics in a thread which I created makes me a jackass? How about YOU think a little, untwist your knickers and accept maybe your view on this topic isn't shared by the majority of other players?

Very sad to see vitriol thrown on a reasonable statement.

So according to THE MAN crazywildfire there are an equal number of people out there who like getting randomly blown up and who enjoy not being able to enter the wasteland to avoid the risk of insti-death... He MUST have done his research so it is case closed..

Sorry, now I'm being a smart ass (did you see the difference crazywildfire!). I'll not type anymore for risk of hurting feelings.

You make me laugh so much keep it coming. Now you put words in my mouth That I never said. In my post I never not onceeven stated for this thread. You took it to only include the few people in this thread not me. You keep including only the few people in this thread. You are failing at seeing that but does not bother me at all I find it very funny and amusing actually. If you want to talk about the 10 or whatever people in this thread then you would be right but more threads on this topic have been made and more people then 10 play the game that have already been down this road. I look at a majority meaning more then only the 10 people. You looking at only 10 people that posted in this. That isn't a correct number to base a majority on. I can't help you fail to read clear in the post I have made that has also included the people that play pc and people that have posted in other threads on the subject.

I do believe I said keep talking about it they might change it. I just also said I doubt it because they have heard all this before and haven't changed it yet. I didn't put the landmines in wasteland I didn't tell them to do so. They did it because of what reasons they had that they have clearly made before if you go search for it. They might change it down the road when more of the game is developed they might not. It isn't up to me I'm not making the game. But never said people like getting blown up that is you that is saying that. I just simply stated that just as many people don't mind the landmines as just as many people that do. This isn't coming from this one thread that was made but all of them that been made in the console section and in the pc section. But come on bring some more entertainment for me I enjoy a good laugh. Lol

Archived