The Offtopic, A17 thread.

Royal Deluxe

AI is very complex and for 7D2D it will be very different to most other games.

The reason is simple that Ai in predesigned levels is nearly allways cheating.

As a example

Lets take the small Bookstore as example

In a Predesigned level the Game simply spawn bots in the office and let them move to the front of the store when the player enters the front door.

And now imagine what happens if this would be done in 7D2D. The trigger is at the frontdoor and the player move in by destroying the side wall of the Store.

----------------------------------

The same problem is at Cover for example, is easy to imagine that it is hard to "explain" a bot where the next decent cover is if it is hard to describe it to a human.

Finally you can imagine AI as a tree.

There must be tasks for the AI the Bot follows and then there must been "events" that trigger with a higher priority.

omg i really try to describe a so complex topic that i could now write 5 Pages alone for a small example. i break it down to a very very short .... description

In 7D2D the ideal Bot

Bot need a Pathfinding and a course of the day and destinations to do that.

Example: Bed -> Table -> Workstation ->Toilet -> Table -> Bed

And then it needs triggers with a higher Priority to break that circle.

Shoot in the Sourroundings: = Alarmed status no sneaking possible

Been attacked = Flee if no weapon, or attack if have a weapon.

Player speak to you = Stop and talk

Player move along = Greet him

Sounds easy so far ? Except the Destinations part (the bot need a List where these Destinations are defined)

it is so far easy.

Much harder are Battle AI

and much work are complex AI Tasks like drive a patrol with 3 bots

But to give you a start, what you need to start with is Pathfinding, and your first task if you want to code such a thing is "Pacman"

This didnt warrant going in a modding forum thread and as it started out in th A17 dev diary i thought i would continue it here.

So i commented out the AI tasks and targets and put in the AI package zombiedumb and changed its target to player from npc and spawned a wandering horde.

Yes interested havent messed around with the weights too much but it seems like the horde just want to smash the map to pieces!

I am not sure but maybe if i cloned the AI package and made it so one is weighted to blocks and the other is to player and set the blocks package to the heavy hitting zombies it they might smash a base down faster.

They may just attack any block though and it may not work at all.

Thought i would post my findings for general amusement.

Thx bud...should of taken Spanish in High School...5 years of German=useless.

OUCH

Sadly, if you live in the US anyway. I feel the same way, Spanish would've been leagues more useful, even in Utah we have a decent population of native Spanish speakers.

Honestly, my German skills have kind of faded because I never use it. I can still read it decently (for whatever reason it was always easier to read & listen than to speak & write for me). Don't quiz me on my German though :p

I love it how players (me included) get warnings for using the word 'idiot' to describe people who argue against me trying to instigate some open dialogue between devs and their playerbase regarding serious bugs in the last build, yet the official A17 discussion thread has descended into conversation over foreign languages and that flies.

No offence towards you guys discussing it, your topic is benign - just really bizarre standards on here.

Someone said two weeks, someone else said three, I get it theres tight lips from TFP regarding new features but this much silence on the two most serious bugs.

Come on -.-"

I love it how players (me included) get warnings for using the word 'idiot' to describe people who argue against me trying to instigate some open dialogue between devs and their playerbase regarding serious bugs in the last build, yet the official A17 discussion thread has descended into conversation over foreign languages and that flies.

No offence towards you guys discussing it, your topic is benign - just really bizarre standards on here.

Someone said two weeks, someone else said three, I get it theres tight lips from TFP regarding new features but this much silence on the two most serious bugs.

Come on -.-"

It's not that you're trying to open dialogue though.

As I've told you, it's your attitude. Which shuts down dialogue. You're shooting yourself in your foot.

Furthermore there's a bug reporting thread, and they do know about some of the issues. They can't just say when it will be fixed either, it doesn't work that way. They have to find the issue, and they're working with a lot of variables. The best they could do is tell you what their priorities are, what they've fixed.

In fact, there is a list of changes and bugs supposedly fixed in Alpha 16.4, so there you go.

Yes that didnt work just made zombies more aimless.

Tried to add the door tag to other blocks to see if i could get the pathfinder to smash a prefered block but doesnt seem to make much difference.

Sidenote didnt realise that the dropped backpack has its own material MdroppedBackpack that has a max damage and explosive resistance.

snip

But that's not what happened. You weren't polite. I can see your previous posts, and your rep comments. You have a post edited by a mod for name calling and discussing moderation actions. You got a thread shut down for crying out loud.

You were rude towards others in previous posts, and continue to act self-indignant. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

All I'm asking at this point is that you be respectful to others, and listen to others.

I don't know if you thought I or somebody else was deriding SpacePiggio (I wasn't, but you seem to be indignant for them), but I was simply explaining my point of view.

You then swooped in complaining about people who disagreed. I and others try to explain things, thread gets shut down. Here we are.

Honestly though, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. It appears you're here to incite ire, followed by backpedaling some manipulative spin that you're the victim.

I'm done posting about this, you should be too if you honestly don't understand. It appears you're just baiting at this point, and frankly there's nothing more to be said. If you sincerely don't get it, and haven't gotten it, I can do no more from this point on than to assume you're simply incapable.

Either way I'm talking to a wall.

How about this for a storyline.

Your this guy called bob and you want to collect call alice but your stuck in an automated telephone service from hell and you need to find the correct route to get patched though.

And there is no hold for an operater only zombie telephone servers.

You need to get phreaky to find your way though the game.

Too complicated....my map is only gonna be 1 block in size....insane server speed and no leaks due to optimization! Multiplayer maps will be 2 blocks...but I am meeting with my mom to see if I can squeeze in a block for each new player. But that will be in another iteration or a DLC.

Its gonna be sick!

I will post a video in a few years as soon as I learn how to code and make a video!

Stay tuned!

Ouch

<snip>

....I dont dislile the community only the attitudes of some members and how they tell others what to do.

<snip>

What TFP should do is explain clearly their stance and what our positions are. Because its for their benefit that they use the community as bug finders/ testers - free work and less load.

<snip>

Just an observation... :)

Archived